McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I posted it so that I could voice mine and the opinions of EVERYBODY that I've spoken to on the whole topic of the 08 Hurlers. Its is great to know that so many other people feel the same way. The more people who feel this way and voice their feelings on the issue the better you may eventually understand that it is not as simple as you like to portay it (i.e. only bitching and whinging).
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

passedit

Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2009, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: passedit on April 06, 2009, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2009, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 03:34:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
John Gardiner has all the PR skills of a rhino stuck in a locked telephone box. He should simply not be let near a microphone. You'd question where these guys heads are at with a statement like that because you can damn sure what was pinned to the dressing room walls in the cats dressing room yesterday. i simply could not believe the level of stupidity involved to come out with a statement like that. Is it any wonder the country hates the sight of these guys.

Has anyone actually got, word for word, what the statement is. Ye've been listening too much to Keher.

When Keher starts stealing money (through personal sponsorship deals) from the pockets of his inter-county colleagues then I'll hold him in the same contempt of the other gougers - until then I'll afford him the respect his legendary status befits..

The sponsorship issue has been well rehearsed, not least on this board.

However, if you called me a thief i'd sue you and this board for publishing the libel. that's just me though, I'm sure these lads have put up with much worse.

I love the way you swoop in out - never dealing in specifics and always as vague as your buddy Reillers.

I'm sure some members of the strikers have more than enough money to sue anyone they like for libel - I'll stand over every word I've said

I'd say my post was very specific and unambiguous. You accused the 08 panel of theft and left yourself and, more importantly, the owners of this board open to be sued for libel. I'm saying you should retract and delete that slur. Clear enough for you?

As I told your mate Dowling before, I have a life and feel no need to justify where or when I post.
Don't Panic

heffo

Quote from: passedit on April 06, 2009, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2009, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: passedit on April 06, 2009, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2009, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 03:34:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
John Gardiner has all the PR skills of a rhino stuck in a locked telephone box. He should simply not be let near a microphone. You'd question where these guys heads are at with a statement like that because you can damn sure what was pinned to the dressing room walls in the cats dressing room yesterday. i simply could not believe the level of stupidity involved to come out with a statement like that. Is it any wonder the country hates the sight of these guys.

Has anyone actually got, word for word, what the statement is. Ye've been listening too much to Keher.

When Keher starts stealing money (through personal sponsorship deals) from the pockets of his inter-county colleagues then I'll hold him in the same contempt of the other gougers - until then I'll afford him the respect his legendary status befits..

The sponsorship issue has been well rehearsed, not least on this board.

However, if you called me a thief i'd sue you and this board for publishing the libel. that's just me though, I'm sure these lads have put up with much worse.

I love the way you swoop in out - never dealing in specifics and always as vague as your buddy Reillers.

I'm sure some members of the strikers have more than enough money to sue anyone they like for libel - I'll stand over every word I've said

I'd say my post was very specific and unambiguous. You accused the 08 panel of theft and left yourself and, more importantly, the owners of this board open to be sued for libel. I'm saying you should retract and delete that slur. Clear enough for you?

Care to post where I accused any named individual of theft?

passedit

http://www.carter-ruck.com/FAQs/Libel%20and%20Slander%20Cases.html

QuoteQ6 Must the defamatory material refer to the claimant?

Yes. Clearly if someone is named they are identifiable to readers. However, even if the claimant is not named he may still be identifiable to some readers. It is sufficient that he is reasonably identifiable to even one person with whom he is acquainted. For instance, people with whom an individual works may know to whom the allegation is referring from its context.

If a defamatory allegation is made of a large, indeterminate group, no one individual may be able to show that the words would be understood to refer to him. However, if the group is determinate and comprises only a small number of people, it may be possible for every member of that group to sue
Don't Panic

anglocelt39

As I told your mate Dowling before, I have a life and feel no need to justify where or when I post

Passedit I'm sure there are a few quite bright sparks on the 08 panel who might just have anticipated that things would get a bit on the rough side given the very public way they have chosen to conduct their affairs over the past several months. Therefore I sincerely hope they will take some of the comments that are posted on this board with a slight amount more salt than you are willing to.

I was talking to a Kilkenny acquaintance of mine today who was at yesterdays game. His only comment on the thing was that Cork can count themselves lucky they played the game up at Nowlan park, he wonders what the reception to that sort of a tanking would have been had the fixture been played in the second city.

Reillers-RebelGAA.com or Peoples Republic Of Cork might be useful sites if you are on the look out for like minded friends. By the way, had a look at your club website there now, quite impressive. Did you set up the GPA link all by yourself?

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Kerry Mike

Quotethat's not even mentioning half the Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone football teams..etc and the likes of Tipp and Waterford as well..etc) who ALL have sponsorships.

Which half of the Kerry team , come on now be specific.

4-26 to 0-11............still laughing me hole off 24 hours later.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

dowling

Hope I haven't missed too much. Passedit an expert on libel law and offering free advice? Now why doesn't that surprise me.

Anyway Reillers what you're getting now is part and parcel of the consequences of the 2008 panel strike. A lot of bad feeling towards those panellists. None was directed at the lads who stepped up to the plate for the previous games and indeed most wanted to see those lads do well and it's a shame they're now tainted to some degree by the 2008 panel. But as you say Reillers the 2008 panel must have known what they were getting themselves into.

And if Donal og doesn't lose his place after yesterday's performance you'd have to wonder if the strikers must still have a large influence. Some might even question his place on the panel.

Good to be back!

INDIANA

A differing perspective below from some Cork fans. Pulled it off another forum. Met some great Gaa people in Cork when I lived there. They don't all have their heads in the sand.

There are very few other players that can come in. What you have to remember is that we only won 2 underage titles in the last 10 years, 1 minor and 1 U21, so there has been serious neglect in this area by our county board. I've stated several times on this site over the years that there is a certain arrogance with the County Board that thinks 'shur we'll always have hurlers' and so there is no development put in place.

As regards new players, the only one I can think of that should get a serious look at is Mike Ahern from ballinhassig. After that there's no one.

What yesterdays result is going to highlight in Cork is that lack of development by our CB. Don't be durprised if you see Sully back at full back this year, or Timmy Mc starting or even Joe Deane, cause even though these players are past it, they're still the best we got which is a sad indicment of the Cork County Boards ethos.

I'd like to see Coleman being given a shot in goals, we need Brian Murphy to get back to full fitness, Gardiner and NiallMc need to adjust their temperament, D Sully could make a return.
All in all I think the best we can hope for is the munster championship this year.

So from what you are saying they could be a decline or dip in Cork hurling for 5-10 years? I don't mean a serious decline as 'shur we'll always have hurlers' is half true but that they'll fall behind due to the extensive work that Kilkenny and Tipperary have done at underage level. So is there a need, maybe not as extreme as the work being done in Dublin or Wexford, to match the efforts put in at underage by other counties?

I think a serious decline is on the cards. How long more can SeanOg, Ben, Jerry and Sully, carry a team. And their replacements just aren't good enough. Cork have been left behind in terms of development and the wins in 99, 04 and 05 just papered over the cracks.
The problem with the team is that there are 2 many holes to fill and at the level of hurling we saw KK at yesterday you can't afford to have to carry any player.
Of the team that played, McGann, Cadogen, Callinen, Hero and Hartnett are just not up to inter county standard and they've all been tried before. Fintan O'Leary and Joe Jordan may yet prove themselves but both are very young and that was their first real taste of inter-county hurling - that was some blooding.
Paudi Sull, Pa Horgan and Pa Cronin can still make it I reckon but still need to be surrounded by experienced players to make an impact.
Of the 09 players that Leahy Abu reckon would have been better, there's TadhgOg Murphy, Chris Murphy, Conor O'Sullivan and Barry Johnson with Johnson being the only one that could come on in form, forget about the other 3.
If I try and think around the clubs thers no one really of note that springs to mind, Bugsy Barry from midletom maybe but he's the laziest man I've ever seen on a pitch, if they could knock that out of him he'd walk onto any panel.
I'd just like Cork to try something different - maybe
Coleman
Murphy Curren ONeil
Kenny Gardiner SeanOg
Johnson Jerry
This way they'd be very stong down the centre and let them build their attack around the defence. I dunno what to do with the forwards as the only one that can win any ball is NiallMc but he'll probably get sent off after 15 minutes anyway.
The best thats there is
Ben Niall Cronin
Sully Fraggy Hoggy
That ain't gonna give Noel Hickey any nightmares - but its the best we got and will be for another few years.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 06, 2009, 10:41:32 PM
Hope I haven't missed too much. Passedit an expert on libel law and offering free advice? Now why doesn't that surprise me.

Anyway Reillers what you're getting now is part and parcel of the consequences of the 2008 panel strike. A lot of bad feeling towards those panellists. None was directed at the lads who stepped up to the plate for the previous games and indeed most wanted to see those lads do well and it's a shame they're now tainted to some degree by the 2008 panel. But as you say Reillers the 2008 panel must have known what they were getting themselves into.

And if Donal og doesn't lose his place after yesterday's performance you'd have to wonder if the strikers must still have a large influence. Some might even question his place on the panel.

Good to be back!

Clearly you didn't see the match or your bias against Donal Og is at a ridiculous level because he made some sensational saves.

And I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about the players.
Every club in Cork backed the hurlers as did the fans, so as long as they've got the respect from inside their own 4 walls, well that's all that matters. So excuse me if I don't care what someone from Dublin or Derry or Kerry for that matter think about the Cork players. I generally couldn't care less.

INDIANA

Reillers

dowling

You're kidding yourself reillers if you think there's harmony in the county and the consequences of the strike wont play out for some time to come.
And I did see the match and would have to disagree with you. Donal og made some saves any half decent club keeper could have made but more importantly it was what he couldn't save which should draw attention, shots which maybe he would have saved a few years ago. He's not the keeper he used to be. And the 'short' puck out which lead to one goal? Well...
Take off the coloured glasses Reillers.

Bud Wiser

QuoteWhat yesterdays result is going to highlight in Cork is that lack of development by our CB. Don't be durprised if you see Sully back at full back this year, or Timmy Mc starting or even Joe Deane, cause even though these players are past it, they're still the best we got which is a sad indicment of the Cork County Boards ethos.

Do Cork not have to have a certain amount of the boys that got the 160,000 euro sponsorship on the team or give it back  along with all the tracksuits ? Therefore it is Catch 22, if they change the panel they loose their sponsorship, if they loose their sponsorship they go on strike.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

rrhf

I remember when Donal Og used to save them too.  To keep that man in the team suggests that theres other factors at work because intercounty standard he aint.   

The GAA

Quote from: theskull1 on April 06, 2009, 05:57:30 PM
Like it or not boys. The rest of Ireland hold the 08 panel in total contempt. We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of it but that is a fact. Everyone I spoke to about the game yesterday and today was over the moon with yesterdays result. We don't want such behaviour to thrive and succeed you see. They have lost all credibilty in the rest of ireland and regardless of what the achieve in the future (as I'm sure they'll thrive on the negativity and the opertunity to narrate their harrowing stories down the line...so I would right youse off yet) they will be worthless acheivements as far as almost every gael is concerned.

I am fully aware that you don't give a fcuk what the rest of us think but there you go anyway.

Absolute nonsense. Never seen as many cork hurling fans come out of the woodwork as i have in the last few months to support the cork hurlers