McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

ive seen them playing the dublin underage teams
Kilkenny and tipp have the best underage players in the country with tipp the best
Cork in comparison to those 2 counties have fallen back on previous stds which to match the cats isnt good enough

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 06:47:53 PM
ive seen them playing the dublin underage teams
Kilkenny and tipp have the best underage players in the country with tipp the best
Cork in comparison to those 2 counties have fallen back on previous stds which to match the cats isnt good enough

And you're judging them on that? When did ya see that?

You never answered my question either, what players do you think are past their best?

imtommygunn

Reillers you have to say though - you talk about these guys being great for their clubs etc. and that's all well and good but they're only up against the best in Cork for their clubs. No one can say how good the guys you big up are at county level, on the national stage, until they've been tried and tested - at county level.

There are many guys who have been great club players and been terrible county players.

We, from the outside, can only judge from what we have seen at county level and many that you speak of have not made it there yet.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 01, 2009, 08:43:39 PM
Reillers you have to say though - you talk about these guys being great for their clubs etc. and that's all well and good but they're only up against the best in Cork for their clubs. No one can say how good the guys you big up are at county level, on the national stage, until they've been tried and tested - at county level.

There are many guys who have been great club players and been terrible county players.

We, from the outside, can only judge from what we have seen at county level and many that you speak of have not made it there yet.

I know that, I'm just saying hopefully they'll do it at senior IC level. Sure people were wondering about Shane O Neill, whether he was up for it or not a few years ago and look at him now. One of the best in the country.
The lads I've mentioned are just kids, they're just young lads. All I'm asking for is that they get given some sort of a chance.
I don't really expect much this year, but I'd like to see some more young lads blooded and given the IC time they need at this level, to see what who is made of.
I'm not asking them to go and beat KK by 10 points in the AI final. I just want to see progression, something which I know we're capable of.

INDIANA

Reillers very few of those players are better than ours. We're nowhere in relation to kilkenny. Five years from now I confidently predict you'll be nowhere too. Once the O Connors, Kenny and Gardiner go -its goodnight Irene as regards all-irelands . You simply don't have the volume to compete with the cats. I've seen them all Reillers. I saw a challenge between the full whack Cork u21's and dublin u21's last year in dublin for example. Cork won by about 4 points. I remarked to my colleague beside me- neither of these teams will do anything in the championship- I was dead right and that was a dublin team that had beaten the cats at minor level.

I'm involved from u14 up - i've no involvement beyond the development teams anymore- i see our lads at the u14 tony forristal and arrabawn tournament at u16 level and the u17 all-ireland as well. Its one way traffic for kilkenny and tipp in future years. Its depressing watching tipp beat everyone by 20 points at underage level. We've been in the u16 final and the u17 all-ireland finals in the last 2 years and still can't get within double figures of Tipp in either final.

Reillers explain to me having not won a minor all-ireland since 2001 and an u21 since 1998 how you expect to beat kilkenny and tipp in the coming years. Not going to happen. You haven't 15 shane o neills- you've got one.
The only chance you have is if munster rugby disappeared. and its likely to get stronger not weaker.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 10:08:06 PM
Reillers very few of those players are better than ours. We're nowhere in relation to kilkenny. Five years from now I confidently predict you'll be nowhere too. Once the O Connors, Kenny and Gardiner go -its goodnight Irene as regards all-irelands . You simply don't have the volume to compete with the cats. I've seen them all Reillers. I saw a challenge between the full whack Cork u21's and dublin u21's last year in dublin for example. Cork won by about 4 points. I remarked to my colleague beside me- neither of these teams will do anything in the championship- I was dead right and that was a dublin team that had beaten the cats at minor level.

I'm involved from u14 up - i've no involvement beyond the development teams anymore- i see our lads at the u14 tony forristal and arrabawn tournament at u16 level and the u17 all-ireland as well. Its one way traffic for kilkenny and tipp in future years. Its depressing watching tipp beat everyone by 20 points at underage level. We've been in the u16 final and the u17 all-ireland finals in the last 2 years and still can't get within double figures of Tipp in either final.

Reillers explain to me having not won a minor all-ireland since 2001 and an u21 since 1998 how you expect to beat kilkenny and tipp in the coming years. Not going to happen. You haven't 15 shane o neills- you've got one.
The only chance you have is if munster rugby disappeared. and its likely to get stronger not weaker.

You've seen them what once, twice maybe?
Seen them all. It was just half two seconds ago, who were playing who?
You still haven't answered my question, who's past it?
And when KK loose the likes of Shefflin they'll be in trouble.
IF you go with who wins what at underage then Tipp should by your view be dominating now, so should Galway, yet they all fall flat on their faces. It's not about who wins what at underage level it's about the players and whether or not they can swing up into the senior level, neither Tipp or Galway have managed that. They simply can't.
Cork won the Minor Munster final and were favs to win the whole thing. The Cork U21s were also favs to go all the way and they considered it their best year to have a go, ask any Cork man, this year the team is even better. But there's one problem. We have the players, and I've been saying this for so long, we have the players just not the set up or support.
And seeing them in a one off Dublin game doesn't really justify you're criticial opinion of them.

INDIANA

They may not have Henry but they have richie hogan and tj reid. Tommy Breen, Canice Maher. Memorise these names lads because you'll be seeing them very soon. You can't be favourites for anything at Munster u21 level Reillers because Tipp are.
Name me one Cork minor in the last 5 years who is better than Noel Mc Grath, Seamus Callinan, Seamus Hennessy, Thomas Stapelton, Brendan Maher, Patrick Maher from Tipp. How can you be favourites for any u21 competition facing those lads?- all of whom have at least 2 al-ireland minor medals each?
You should be the government's PR man Reillers, you'd earn a bloody fortune. this is a better yerra defence than Paidi.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 10:22:05 PM

They may not have Henry but they have richie hogan and tj reid. Tommy Breen, Canice Maher. Memorise these names lads because you'll be seeing them very soon. You can't be favourites for anything at Munster u21 level Reillers because Tipp are.
Name me one Cork minor in the last 5 years who is better than Noel Mc Grath, Seamus Callinan, Seamus Hennessy, Thomas Stapelton, Brendan Maher, Patrick Maher from Tipp. How can you be favourites for any u21 competition facing those lads?- all of whom have at least 2 al-ireland minor medals each?
You should be the government's PR man Reillers, you'd earn a bloody fortune. this is a better yerra defence than Paidi.

I said we won it last year, I didn't say anything about this year, Shane O Neill, Naughton, Pa Horgan, Sheehan, Sully Og..etc.
Like I said, Cork players can only get so far at underage level because of the zero structure and help that they have. That is why a lot of it in Cork is getting the players to play at IC senior level and do well. You want facts, Tipp can boast as long as they like about x and y and z and all the titles they have won at underage, but that is where it stops, they have failed to do anything with any of them. They've had no success with them at all at senior level.
They, and Galway can't get their players to play at senior level. They aren't able for it. Whether that changes, then I don't know, but like you said, results speak for themselves.

INDIANA

If Tipp get those lads onto their senior Reillers you've got problems. No guarantees but Sheedy has them all in their already. 18mths from now they are going to be a serious team. Noel Mc Grath in particular is Canningesque if people haven't seen him yet.
You've blessed to have lads like the O Connors, gardiner and kenny at the moment Reillers. You'll struggle when they are gone. Could be back to the 90's for youse if you don't arrest the damage at underage level. Tipp recognised they had a problem 10 years ago because Nicky English told them they had when he was in charge. They are going to get the benefits of it soon.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 10:40:29 PM
If Tipp get those lads onto their senior Reillers you've got problems. No guarantees but Sheedy has them all in their already. 18mths from now they are going to be a serious team. Noel Mc Grath in particular is Canningesque if people haven't seen him yet.
You've blessed to have lads like the O Connors, gardiner and kenny at the moment Reillers. You'll struggle when they are gone. Could be back to the 90's for youse if you don't arrest the damage at underage level. Tipp recognised they had a problem 10 years ago because Nicky English told them they had when he was in charge. They are going to get the benefits of it soon.

IF, but they haven't been able to do that, and it's been over years. They just haven't been able to get their lads to do it at senior level.

Tipp last season, well they shouldn't have Munster, Cork should have had it in the pocket by half time and been out the gate, but it was thrown away. What Naughton did to that midfield and defence, God help them when KK face them, oh they did and they were thrashed.
And last season the so called Tipp superstars lost to an ageing Waterford team who got whipped in the AI final.
I can't see any benefits yet.

And you said what happens when Cork loose the O Connors, Kenny and Gardiner
The twins will go out together probably, but Kenny's 28 and Ga's only 25. The majority of Cork players are young enough.
The only players that are 30ish are Sully, we've found a replacement for him, Donal Og, we've several excellent, if not argueably better keepers, Sean Og, again we've a replacement for him.
Jerry well, Naughton, or Kearney, Desmond, Egan.
Ben, well, at the minute no one touches him, but there's a good few young forwards there.

INDIANA

Admire your optimism but I'm on safe ground on this one.Cork will see in the next couple of years that you reap what you sow at underage. You've very little coming though. I'm staggered that a top 3 county like yourselves has fallen off the radar at underage from u14 up. You've been beaten by dublin at u16 level twice in the last 3 years. If that doesn't sound alarm bells I don't know what will.

Tipp haven't had anything like these guys since Nicky English and Pat Fox were playing u21 for Tipp. In the past they couldn't get them out of the pubs , I just don;t see these lads going the same way.

imtommygunn

Reillers Tipp won the AI minor in 2006 and 2007 - they have hardly failed to get anything out of them. They've won a  munster and still them boys are very young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Minor_Hurling_Championship

Look at that roll of honur - prior to 2006 the last time Tipp won AI minor was 1996. They have since won the AI(2001).

Before that was 82 and they'd have got a few AIs out of that team so I think you're wrong, very wrong, about Tipp. They had a serious dearth at underage and their seniors suffered - their underage record for a period of years was pretty much similar to what yours is currently.

You look at those minor stats and Tipp / Cork seem to have got AIs about 5 - 6 years after minor wins.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 10:50:21 PM
Admire your optimism but I'm on safe ground on this one.Cork will see in the next couple of years that you reap what you sow at underage. You've very little coming though. I'm staggered that a top 3 county like yourselves has fallen off the radar at underage from u14 up. You've been beaten by dublin at u16 level twice in the last 3 years. If that doesn't sound alarm bells I don't know what will.

Tipp haven't had anything like these guys since Nicky English and Pat Fox were playing u21 for Tipp. In the past they couldn't get them out of the pubs , I just don;t see these lads going the same way.

Tipp haven't done anything with their players, they've all fallen short at senior level.
I admire your odd bias for Tipp and your optimism, but they can't and haven't done anything to suggest domintion at all. They did nothing last season, and they showed nothing to suggest that they were anywhere near KK, after getting murdered by a weakened KK team.
Results speak for themselves at senior level and Tipp don't have anything to show. You still don't get it, Cork have the players, they have more players then anyone, they just don't have the structures to get them over the last jump.
But it doesn't matter when they get to senior level because Cork have a very good record at breaking in their young players incredibly fast. So much so that the likes of Horgan, O Neill, Naughton, the boys who just came in last week, O Sullivan, McGann..etc. and co look like they've been playing with the Cork side for years.
Results at underage level for Cork don't reflect the players that are there.

INDIANA

Eh Reillers Tipp are munster champions. Emm they beat you last year. Ringing a bell?

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 10:59:09 PM
Eh Reillers Tipp are munster champions. Emm they beat you last year. Ringing a bell?
I did say that, and Cork should have had the game in the back but we threw it away, for some reason the tactics were changed and ridiculous subs were made. But Cork lost the game themselves.
They also lost to an ageing Waterford team who got thrashed in the final.
And again, what Cork players are past their sell by date and you never responded to the point on the players I made in the above post.