McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Obviously not

Anyone got a link to their statement?

AZOffaly

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 13, 2009, 10:33:24 AM
The 08 players issuing a statement saying that they would prefer O'grady over COnsidine is a disgrace, a complete and utter disgrace. Its goes against what they've been saying - that they don't want to pick the manager. It makes Considine's position next to impossible and is another example of them trying to pick the manager, something they've tried to deny.

Surely the pro players lads, Reillers, GAA and Zulu have to accept this?

I actually agree with that comment. What they should have been doing is saying that the process is flawed and they need to change the process. They should not be commenting publicly on the merits or otherwise of different managers.

RedandGreenSniper

They don't seem to have released a statement GAA but they have expressed an opinion which is patently wrong and against everything they've said about appointments. Considine is a tight spot now.

From independent.ie

Considine for Cork
JOHN CONSIDINE was last night appointed as the interim manager of the Cork senior hurling team at a meeting of the county board at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Considine, who is expected to be in charge for the next two Allianz NHL games, against Clare and Limerick, beat Donal O'Grady in an election by 77 votes to 39 after nominations were sought from delegates at the meeting.

Delegates had wished to be able to go back to their clubs to discuss the interim manager and also had reservations as to whether anybody chosen last night would be interested in doing the job.

The two nominations were for 2004 All-Ireland-winning manager O'Grady, who was the favoured choice of the 2008 senior hurling panel, and the county's U-21 hurling management committee, of which Considine, an All-Ireland winner with Cork in 1990, is currently manager.
He will be joined by selectors Tony O'Sullivan, Jim Cashman, Denis Ring and Paddy Daly as the county look to avoid relegation to Division 2 of the National League, having lost their three opening games.

The question of how a full-time manager will be appointed will be answered at a meeting of the board next Monday night, with a total of 10 proposals put forward at last night's meeting.

These proposals will be emailed to clubs tomorrow, with the proposal of the county board's executive looking the likeliest to get the nod. This proposal would see three Cork hurling people being appointed by the Central Council of the GAA, who would then recommending a manager for the county board to approve.

Cork chairman Jerry O'Sullivan said that he felt this was the best proposal, as it would be overseen by GAA Director General Paraic Duffy and would "take it out of realm of local politics and disputes and disagreements."

These proposals will now be taken back to the clubs and one will be chosen at the meeting next Monday night.

The question also arose at the meeting as to whether Gerald McCarthy's four selectors -- Johnny Keane, Teddy McCarthy, Ger Fitzgerald and John Mortell -- were considered to have left their positions, as none had announced their resignations.

O'Sullivan said that the selectors were chosen by the manager, and so were deemed to have left their posts when the manager left. To a request from the floor by Bishopstown delegate Bob Honohan that the board put on record its gratitude to McCarthy, O'Sullivan said that the executive fully endorsed everything said about McCarthy and that what had happened was saddening.

Honohan also said that the 2008 panel had serious questions to answer in light of McCarthy's resignation statement, namely the allegation that senior players had urged others not to attend his mother's funeral.

- Cliona Foley

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

The GAA

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2009, 10:48:25 AM
The 08 players issuing a statement saying that they would prefer O'grady over COnsidine is a disgrace, a complete and utter disgrace. Its goes against what they've been saying - that they don't want to pick the manager. It makes Considine's position next to impossible and is another example of them trying to pick the manager, something they've tried to deny.

I actually agree with that comment. What they should have been doing is saying that the process is flawed and they need to change the process. They should not be commenting publicly on the merits or otherwise of different managers.

Exactly. And they've missed a massve opportunity to point out that this interim appointment has been done by the old, flawed process. to fair on that point i think lads are sayin they had commented before the meeting and the process?

The GAA

Not being difficult sniper but what is the source of the opinion voiced by the players?

Zulu

I haven't had the time to follow this thread or events generally over the past few days but what I have read on this thread is disappointing, there has been an amount of utter rubbish posted by quite a few posters. A lot of it admittedly from the usual suspects but surprisingly from a few, otherwise, excellent posters. I would however agree R&GS that if the players did publicly say they would prefer O'Grady (given what has happened in the past 5 months) that it is a disgrace. I would however also worry that nothing has changed at CB level, it doesn't appear that clubs were given a chance to evaluate both candidates and I'm surprised that a proven and highly respected senior IC manager was overlooked for a man with a managerial job already. It doesn't look like any lessons have been learned by anybody.

P.S. My enforced absense from this thread has done me the world of good, it's too easy to get caught up in the tit for tat bickering over the minutae of the issue or someones post, believe me when I say some posters could do with stepping away from this topic for a few days because a lot of yer posts are entirely pointless and add nothing to the thread.

AZOffaly

That's the question. Bud, I think you raised this first. Did Gardiner come out before the appointment and say they wanted Donal O'Grady ahead of Considine, or did he say they wanted O'Grady, with no mention of anyone else?

They shouldn't have been opening their mouths about that at all, but if it's the latter, it's slightly less insidious than the former.

bingobus

I would imagine that making such a statement would have actually lost them votes, as this would only have antagonised voters in the room who have been undecided. A secret ballot wouldn't have helped the players in that case but surely it is the prefered method to avoid the influence of FM.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 10:50:55 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2009, 10:48:25 AM

Exactly. And they've missed a massve opportunity to point out that this interim appointment has been done by the old, flawed process. to fair on that point i think lads are sayin they had commented before the meeting and the process?

You still seem to believe the 2008 panel care about the system. The evidence is now there that what they want is the influence over who is manager. As soon as Gerald stepped down they could work with Frank. All they had to say about last night's meeting was who they wanted in as manager. Getting rid of Gerald as far as they're concened was the job done. They might work behind the scenes to further undermine Considine if he's appointed and keep at it until they get their man in the position but there's no reason to believe by any actions over the past while that their concerns go further than this.

Zulu I don't think anyone would dispute OGrady's capabilities, but the point was made somewhere that he would not be a unifying figure for the county given what he has had to say during the dispute and the position he took.

If Cork are to move on from all this damage, and to do so will not be easy, then anything that may be an obstacle must be avoided. Who knows maybe in the near future OGrady will get the job but he will now be seen as a 2008 panel's man in the same way as there were those who viewed Gerald as a CB man.

johnneycool

According to a lad on AFR John Gardiner rung Jerry O'Sullivan and told him their preferred interim manger was O'Grady. O'Sullivan is said to have told the meeting this before the vote took place.

Don't know how much truth is in it though.

Reillers, GAA,
Did everyone know who the possible candidates were before the meeting?

Reillers

Yet again bitching and attacking the players before having the actual real facts. Not like i'm surprised. That's all some of ye do.

AZOffaly

Was Gardiner on the 'selection panel' with Donal Og? If so, I'd say he's within his rights to contact O'Sullivan. Sure that's what the process was about in the first place. If it wasn't a public statement, then I see no problem in that.

slow corner back

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 13, 2009, 10:50:23 AM
They don't seem to have released a statement GAA but they have expressed an opinion which is patently wrong and against everything they've said about appointments. Considine is a tight spot now.

From independent.ie

O'Sullivan said that the selectors were chosen by the manager, and so were deemed to have left their posts when the manager left. To a request from the floor by Bishopstown delegate Bob Honohan that the board put on record its gratitude to McCarthy, O'Sullivan said that the executive fully endorsed everything said about McCarthy and that what had happened was saddening.

Honohan also said that the 2008 panel had serious questions to answer in light of McCarthy's resignation statement, namely the allegation that senior players had urged others not to attend his mother's funeral.

- Cliona Foley

If there is any truth in that it is an absolute diusgrace

bingobus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2009, 11:14:08 AM
Was Gardiner on the 'selection panel' with Donal Og? If so, I'd say he's within his rights to contact O'Sullivan. Sure that's what the process was about in the first place. If it wasn't a public statement, then I see no problem in that.

Did O'Sullivan not announce during the week that the selection panel was null and void, as the agreement from the 2007 strike on which it was formed was broken by the players.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2009, 11:14:08 AM

Well we don't know the full story on this to comment on it.  I was hoping that either GAA or Reillers could inform us (if they know) if it was a public statement or not.  Though I cant imagine after all that has happened that the 08 players would be so stupid as to make their opinion on who they wanted as manager public.