McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: deiseach on March 12, 2009, 05:04:17 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:01:17 PM
You think the county board should be able to control their actions because they are wearing the county jersey. lets start living in the real world here lads - the county boards do ot own the players

Yes, I think the county board should be able to control their actions while they are playing for the county. This does not imply ownership or slavery or any other such hyperbole. If the players don't like it, they don't have to play.

That is your opinon of how you would like things to be. It's not how it is though

deiseach

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:03:12 PM
Nonsense - have a craic with your solicitor and come back.

If you guys want to have this debate then educate yourselves in what is factually correct, not what you'd like to be correct

Really? You think this to be the case? Then we come back to the Damien Duff / RBS example. Do you think Newcastle United would not be able to prevent Duff wearing an RBS logo?

The GAA

I notic you didn't revisit my reply on duff last time.

If duff were already contracted to RBS and newcastle signed him they'd have to buy out his deal with RBS if they wanted him to stop personally endorsing them.

The players had the deal with energise long before the County board tried to hijack it

deiseach

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:05:50 PM
That is your opinon of how you would like things to be. It's not how it is though

I suppose one could argue that none of this has ever been tested in a court of law. But if a county board said sorry, we're not picking you because you won't toe the line regarding the bottles, I sincerely doubt a court could force the board to pick the player!

magpie seanie

You think the county board should be able to control their actions because they are wearing the county jersey. lets start living in the real world here lads - the county boards do ot own the players

Yes, I think the county board should be able to control their actions while they are playing for the county. This does not imply ownership or slavery or any other such hyperbole. If the players don't like it, they don't have to play.

Its any sensible persons opinion of how things should be. If you're in the club you play by the clubs rules. If you don't like them then don't play. Sure maybe if Frank Murphy doesn't get the lads off their suspensions the next time their solicitors will.

If you can't see the ridiculousness of this then heaven help us all.

The GAA

Quote from: deiseach on March 12, 2009, 05:09:03 PM

I suppose one could argue that none of this has ever been tested in a court of law. But if a county board said sorry, we're not picking you because you won't toe the line regarding the bottles, I sincerely doubt a court could force the board to pick the player!

That will never happen because none of the players would play then. that's the beauty of having a union i suppose

bingobus

Quote from: deiseach on March 12, 2009, 04:48:23 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 04:45:46 PM

Exactly - the players can drive what car they like.

simlarly, they can drink out of whatever bottle they like

Not when they are playing for their county, any more than they would be allowed wear Vodafone logos.

You are so far over the line on this its sad!!!

Sure why don't they play they play by their own rules, wear their own jerseys, have a feed on the pitch while watching the box.

This is getting crazy.

Its a choice, they can play for their county or they don't have to. Simple. If you choose to play you abide by the rules of the association and on the understanding the County Board are the representatives of those rules in your county.

If you ever run for president of the GAA, let me know, cause I'll happily take my kids to soccer or rugby.

The GAA

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2009, 05:10:16 PM

Its any sensible persons opinion of how things should be. If you're in the club you play by the clubs rules. If you don't like them then don't play. Sure maybe if Frank Murphy doesn't get the lads off their suspensions the next time their solicitors will.

If you can't see the ridiculousness of this then heaven help us all.

I'm answering hypothetical questions lads are throwing up here. How would you lke me to do it? pretend that conditions and laws tha exist dn't exist.
How you, i or anyone else would like things to be is irrelevent. this is the way it is.

deiseach

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:08:26 PM

If duff were already contracted to RBS and newcastle signed him they'd have to buy out his deal with RBS if they wanted him to stop personally endorsing them.

The players had the deal with energise long before the County board tried to hijack it

I didn't revisit it because bingobus did with his Monaghan / VW example.

I doubt they could stop him PERSONALLY endorsing RBS (although why they'd sign him knowing he did, I don't know) any more than they can stop him banking there. However, they could stop him wearing their logos in his role as a Newcastle United player.

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 05:12:15 PM

Not when they are playing for their county, any more than they would be allowed wear Vodafone logos.

Sure why don't they play they play by their own rules, wear their own jerseys, have a feed on the pitch while watching the box.

This is getting crazy.

Its a choice, they can play for their county or they don't have to. Simple. If you choose to play you abide by the rules of the association and on the understanding the County Board are the representatives of those rules in your county.

If you ever run for president of the GAA, let me know, cause I'll happily take my kids to soccer or rugby.

You are asking hypothetical questions - that you should know the answer to yourself - and i am answering them based on the facts.
You haven't asked my own opinion once.

You can't see th stupidity of blaming me for the laws of the land?

The GAA

Quote from: deiseach on March 12, 2009, 05:12:59 PM

I doubt they could stop him PERSONALLY endorsing RBS (although why they'd sign him knowing he did, I don't know) any more than they can stop him banking there. However, they could stop him wearing their logos in his role as a Newcastle United player.

No doubt - but sure he's only going to be wearing rbs gear in ads.

the sums involved in this type of endorsement deal would be trifling compared to the sums involved in that transfer

GalwayBayBoy

Well exactly.

He would be free to endorse products as an individual but when involved in whatever capacity with Newcastle United he is required strictly to use and promote their own sponsors.

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:14:29 PM

This is getting crazy.

You are asking hypothetical questions - that you should know the answer to yourself - and i am answering them based on the facts.

What is your opinion then?

This isn't about laws. The GPA/club energiser have no hold over forcing Cork players drink out of Club Energiser water bottles on the playing field. The Cork players choose not to drink Powerade bottles. It wasn't a legal issue.

The GAA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 12, 2009, 05:17:11 PM

Well exactly.

He would be free to endorse products as an individual but when involved in whatever capacity with Newcastle United he is required strictly to use and promote their own sponsors.

If we want to get into the minuti of it, duff's contract with newcastle with stipulate the parameters of club endorsements and his obligations in that regard. You could even go as far as saying that his salary negotiations probably involved this detail.

GAA players sign no such contracts and have no such obligations

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 05:19:45 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 05:14:29 PM

This is getting crazy.

What is your opinion then?

This isn't about laws. The GPA/club energiser have no hold over forcing Cork players drink out of Club Energiser water bottles on the playing field. The Cork players choose not to drink Powerade bottles. It wasn't a legal issue.

My opinion is that there should be a middle ground that suits everyone. use a mixture of bottle or something.
the problem arises in these situations when county boards attempt to force these things on players.
Although players weren't making money on it, they had signed up to it for the benefit of their union - given their word if you like. if the county board sits the players down and explains the necessity of the deal and the need for cooperation i can't see anyone turning their backs.