McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2009, 12:29:23 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 12:22:17 PM
AZ - This dispute kicked off in October - the clubs have had nuerous votes at CB meetings on this issue - you know the outcomes so far - landslide victories for Mc Carthy and the CB -

Now after the media frenzy, the threats ( some of violence ), the marches, the protests, the mass hysteria, the anarchy that now reigns, the "FRANK OUT NOW" chants, the press conferences and last but not least, the 3 defeats in the national league, the clubs have done an about turn on the issue.

The comments about the militants are far from irrelevant I can assure you as public opinion which was with Mc Carthy as recently as 6 weeks ago ( I refer you to the article I posted yesterday by Vincent Hogan in late January 2009 ) has now swung against the county board and by association Mc Carthy. Remember it wasn't Mc Carthy's head the protestors were shouting on Sunday - it was Frank's.

The clubs' minds have changed in a short space of time.

It just shows how shallow some of their minds are if they can turn full circle in a matter of weeks. And who is to say that they won;t do another about turn. Nothing would surprise me about this crowd.

the club delegates etc were not voting as per their instructions from the clubs, or that these issues were not allowed go to clubs for discussion in the first place.

The County Board Executive must go.

Assuming thats the case would it not be easier all round to simply replace the delegates with delegates that will vote as instructed?

It seems like they're cutting off the whole hand to fix a broken nail..

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 12:47:19 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on March 10, 2009, 12:25:44 PM
is it not up to the clubs to vote in a county board and then for them to appoint a county manager.

If the clubs are not happy with the county manager they should vote in a new county board and let them do their job. It is not up to the clubs to fire the manager.

abuse of volunteers manning turnstiles

That poor fella who didn't recognise Christy Ring is still getting blackguarded forty years later by Reillers!

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on March 10, 2009, 12:48:26 PM
Assuming thats the case would it not be easier all round to simply replace the delegates with delegates that will vote as instructed?

It seems like they're cutting off the whole hand to fix a broken nail..

Certainly not. if oit were just the delegates that were the problem, fair enough.
your asserton is laying the blame at the door of the county board - whose job it is to hold the executive accountable.

The reality is that the executive have consistently taken decisions contrary to the good of the county and clubs. that they were not held accountable is a follow on issue.

cornafean

The players have also succeeded in ensuring that they can get rid of any manager they don't like from here on in. Is that what the clubs have voted for ?? I don't think so. But so far they haven't copped on to this yet. But they will, as soon as the team lose and the manager will be out on his hole.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I can't think of any county team that has improved itself after a revolt on the part of the players against a sitting manager. Can anyone else think of one? There are several cases where teams fortunes nosedived in the aftermath of such heaves. Mayo (Brian McDonald) and Cavan (Liam Austin) are two that spring to mind.

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

The reality is that the executive have consistently taken decisions contrary to the good of the county and clubs. that they were not held accountable is a follow on issue

And whose fault is that ?

I remember a teacher in our school who used to beat the shit out of us - this went on for a few weeks until we decided that we had had enough of his bullying. So we turned on him and told him we weren't taking it anymore.

We had no bother after it.

Jerry O'Sullivan mustn't be the great GAA man that you lads have said is if he has sat back and been complicit in this treachery -

Get rid of the delegates, the county board executive - get rid of the lot of them and put in men that will do the job fairly if that's what is needed.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cornafean on March 10, 2009, 01:02:25 PM
The players have also succeeded in ensuring that they can get rid of any manager they don't like from here on in. Is that what the clubs have voted for ?? I don't think so. But so far they haven't copped on to this yet. But they will, as soon as the team lose and the manager will be out on his hole.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I can't think of any county team that has improved itself after a revolt on the part of the players against a sitting manager. Can anyone else think of one? There are several cases where teams fortunes nosedived in the aftermath of such heaves. Mayo (Brian McDonald) and Cavan (Liam Austin) are two that spring to mind.

Offaly 1998. Babs Keating made his Sheep in heap comment. The Offaly lads said 'f**k Off Babs'. Michael Bond came in and Offaly were All Ireland Champions 2 months later.

cornafean

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2009, 01:08:22 PM
Quote from: cornafean on March 10, 2009, 01:02:25 PM

Offaly 1998. Babs Keating made his Sheep in heap comment. The Offaly lads said 'f**k Off Babs'. Michael Bond came in and Offaly were All Ireland Champions 2 months later.

Indeed. Cork 2002 are another example that I've thought of in the meantime.

AZOffaly

Was Cork 2002 against a sitting manager, or was it against the County Board's treatment of them? I can't remember the various strikes at this stage.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 01:03:05 PM
The reality is that the executive have consistently taken decisions contrary to the good of the county and clubs. that they were not held accountable is a follow on issue

Get rid of the delegates, the county board executive - get rid of the lot of them and put in men that will do the job fairly if that's what is needed.

Halefuckinlulia

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 01:12:59 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 01:03:05 PM

Halefuckinlulia

Eureka moment ??  :D

The GAA

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 11:07:14 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 11:05:01 AM
Nicky Brennan is a very silly boy - has he not realised that the trasnfer of power has already taken place ??? The strikers have dictated who does what both now and into the future.

You're obviously not aware that the clubs are always supposed to have power. its a new concept in cork though, i'll grant you that

The power always has been and is with the clubs. The only question is have they exercised that power properly over the years.
Whether any of us disagree with what the clubs are doing now they're exercising their power in this dispute. It's the basis for that that's questionable however in that it is coming on the back of 30 players from last year emotionally blackmailing the whole county to not having a particlular manager.
But a county can't function if every time there's a 'sensitive' dispute the clubs must meet to have a resolution and thus authority from the clubs is vested in a county board and executive.
You never know there might still be a twist to all this yet but if there isn't the only logical outcome is for all the present county officers to reisgn because what all that's being projected amounts to is a vote of no confidence in those county officers. And any future county officers must understand that any repeat of or similar emotional blackmail attempt by the elite players will must likely undermine their authority too.

That is one consequence of this strike action and apart from all the other aspects pro posters might disagree on this surely can't be disputed. If the officers of this county were to stay on they would be doing so with no authority. And the chances are they wont, unless one or two of them have been playing clever games and don't mind being told what to do by a small group from within the county.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 02:13:30 PM

Only took you 6 months

Took the 2008 panel 6 months. But they'll not have to wait as long again.

A collective effort in driving Gerald out. But the CB are still there and so will Sully well unless he resigns in protest !

theskull1

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 02:13:30 PM

Only took you 6 months

So how many new bums on seats are needed then (100+ say?)? Would you be confident that they will be found and give proper service to their new roles and that a new administration in a County with over 250 clubs will be able to find open agreement as everybody gets to have their say and vote in a timely manner. Would you not have any concerns going forward about this working without a firm hand on the rudder and that the ferryman cannot be all things to all clubs?

Is it just possible the FM persona evolved over the years out of a necessity to get things done?

Open questions...just wondering if you or anybody else would be worried about these things?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cornafean

Quote from: theskull1 on March 10, 2009, 02:47:31 PM
So how many new bums on seats are needed then (100+ say?)? Would you be confident that they will be found and give proper service to their new roles and that a new administration in a County with over 250 clubs will be able to find open agreement as everybody gets to have their say and vote in a timely manner. Would you not have any concerns going forward about this working without a firm hand on the rudder and that the ferryman cannot be all things to all clubs?

Is it just possible the FM persona evolved over the years out of a necessity to get things done?

Open questions...just wondering if you or anybody else would be worried about these things?

There is an argument that a county board with as many as 250 constituent clubs may well be impossible to manage in the conventional manner.

Some years ago, there was a proposal that Dublin GAA be divided in two (or was it three?) . Is there a case for a similar division in Cork, between the greater city area and the county, for example?