McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

imtommygunn

OM so tell us this - you seem to be alluding to the fact that Nemos vote doesn't count because they have a history of conflict with the county board. Can you tell us the source of this conflict?

If the CB have been up to no good with Nemo then are Nemo not entitled to vote against them and their vote be taken at face value?

theskull1

The fact that it has taken players who possess a miltant tendency to start this "revolution" (just to get rid of GMcC btw) and that it has taken clubs months to even show representative interest in how the CCB runs things in Cork tells me that there won't be too many "leaders" willing to take up the reigns should the CCB resign. Am I wrong?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2009, 12:37:19 PM
OM so tell us this - you seem to be alluding to the fact that Nemos vote doesn't count because they have a history of conflict with the county board. Can you tell us the source of this conflict?

If the CB have been up to no good with Nemo then are Nemo not entitled to vote against them and their vote be taken at face value?

I haven't said Nemo's vote doesn't count - of course it counts and it cannot be ignored - Nemo are one of the biggest clubs in Ireland, let alone Cork and it would be foolish in the extreme to discount their vote. But they do have a turbulent history with the CB - their most recent spat was over the non appointment of Billy Morgan. Billy wanted another run at the job but didn't get it and he was very annoyed at this. Teddy Holland was then appointed and got rid of after another strike. So Nemo have been waiting for a chance to get back at the CB.

But the point I keep on making is that few people if any have any particular complaint about Gerald - all the complaints seem to me to be directed against the board. Nemo chairman has already made this clear. What is also clear is that they won't propose a motion of no confidence in Gerald himself. It's the 2008 panel that have proposed this motion but the clubs are not at all comfortable with their proposal.

dowling

Quote from: orangeman on March 04, 2009, 10:35:45 AM
Nemo chairman Liam Twomey, speaking on behalf of the club, said the feeling of the meeting was that it was nothing personal with Gerald McCarthy.

"Gerald McCarthy hasn't done anything on Nemo and we accept that. We just felt that the best solution to the current impasse would be for Gerald to step aside at this point. That's all we're asking," he said.

The executive of Nemo will meet between now on Sunday night, where they propose to make a slight change to the motion put out at the first meeting with the players. It is understood they will seek to soften the wording of the 'no confidence' proposal in McCarthy tabled 10 days ago and to steer it towards a situation where he would step aside at this point for the betterment of Cork hurling.

You know GAA it's only someone with a closed mind who couldn't see this puts a slightly different perspective on the Nemo vote. The only thing that's unquestionable is the voting figures on the night. What they might vote on in future is very much open to question.

When you ask about a mirror image are you suggesting there won't be any clubs who oppose the 2008 panel?

As for throwing stones show me what I've misrepresented.

Is there no bitterness in this dispute?

GAA you seem to think of events as they pass you by, you need to start trying to think of where present events will lead to. It's not scientific but it's using the power of reasoning. Of course no one is always right in trying to predict what lies ahead but if I'm wrong then Nickey, Sean and Tomas Mulcahy are all wrong also. Wouldn't you say?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 04, 2009, 09:26:56 AM
Good to see the insulting language trimmed back but it's a pity the aggression levels are up.

Does the fact there's "There is agro in pubs and such...." that you refer to that not concern you?

Nickey Brennan has said how this dispute is ripping Cork apart and Sean Kelly likened it to Cork GAA's version of 'The Wind That Shook The Barley'.

Here's what Tomas Mulcahy had to say about this dispute. "

"Will there be winners here if it's sorted? Sadly I say no and the repercussions could be felt for a long time yet to come. ....friendships, personalities and individual characterisation are now to the forefront and will take time to heal if indeed it ever will.
...nobody envisaged that trust, friendships; camaraderie would be sabotaged in this sorry mess. It is them against us and win at all costs at this stage."

Now you can accuse me of not knowing anything if you like but Nickey, Sean andTomas....

And not only does Tomas highlight the bitterness but once again the fact that the 2008 panel had no idea of what they were starting. Give him a call and put him right.

If you're going to tell me I haven't a clue you may as well tell him also.

Of course there's biterness in the dispute, of there is. What do you expect. Does it worry me that people are arguing over it in the pubs and such. No. That's life. There's always something to argue about in the pub.
I never said for a minute that there wasn't biterness and I'm not questioning what any of the 3 lads said. Of course there'll be biterness, but by now all of that is aimed firmly at the CB.

And Dowling you told what I'm 99.9% sure was a blatant lie at the top of the post saying when you got here I said my club wasn't behind the players, I would like you to show me where I apparently said this before I call it a full blatant lie.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on March 04, 2009, 01:16:05 PM
The fact that it has taken players who possess a miltant tendency to start this "revolution" (just to get rid of GMcC btw) and that it has taken clubs months to even show representative interest in how the CCB runs things in Cork tells me that there won't be too many "leaders" willing to take up the reigns should the CCB resign. Am I wrong?

I'm not surprised that after all this that you think this is just to get rid of Gerald. I now know that you have that little GAA knowledge that that is all you can manage to grasp so I'm not even going to bother saying it again.
It's been said 100 times backwards forwards and upside down and either you've ignored 100 times or you are that slow. Your pick.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 04, 2009, 01:18:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2009, 12:37:19 PM

I haven't said Nemo's vote doesn't count - of course it counts and it cannot be ignored - Nemo are one of the biggest clubs in Ireland, let alone Cork and it would be foolish in the extreme to discount their vote. But they do have a turbulent history with the CB - their most recent spat was over the non appointment of Billy Morgan. Billy wanted another run at the job but didn't get it and he was very annoyed at this. Teddy Holland was then appointed and got rid of after another strike. So Nemo have been waiting for a chance to get back at the CB.

But the point I keep on making is that few people if any have any particular complaint about Gerald - all the complaints seem to me to be directed against the board. Nemo chairman has already made this clear. What is also clear is that they won't propose a motion of no confidence in Gerald himself. It's the 2008 panel that have proposed this motion but the clubs are not at all comfortable with their proposal.

They are annoyed at that OM, everyone is, the way they treated Billy, one of the greatest of the game. Just like the way they've treated everyone else who's come and gone in Cork GAA. McCarthy is the only one who was spared that because he's usefull to the CB.
But he'll be tossed aside as soon as the CB feel a threat to their power.
Nemo are pissed at that but you are kidding yourself if you think that that's all this is about. The CB has dug a very deep grave for itself it has burned clubs up and down the county 100 times over with no apology or sliver of respect along the way. It was bound to come back and haunt them.
They and so many other clubs as it's proving hate the board and you are naive to think it's just about the great Billy Morgan. Stop trying to undermine the situation by making excuses for the reasoning. The actions they are following are to get rid of a CB that no longer respects the clubs and think they can get away with anything and there are 100 other "Nemos" up and down the county who hate the CB that much.
Did you read what the Nemo chairman said, they want to get rid of Gerald but the motion wont be worded as harshly, it'll be made so that Gerald should step aside because it's nothing personal. Like I said before OM, the clubs will get rid of Gerald, they wont enjoy doing it but Gerald made his bed and he decided what side he was sleeping on. The clubs will have no problem getting rid of him, even though it's nothing personal. I said that would happen and you wouldn't believe me, you didn't think the clubs were willing to sacrifice Gerald. But like I said they would be able to and they are. The other clubs aren't comfortable with it OM? Well clearly you haven't heard the results of other clubs, because they seem pretty happy with it.
Like I said, they are all willing to sacrifice Gerald if it means getting to the CB and that's exactly what they are doing.

ringy

Youghal vote 37-13 in favour of the players.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

Time to go gerald now before you are pushed

orangeman

Like I said, they are all willing to sacrifice Gerald if it means getting to the CB and that's exactly what they are doing.

Wy not just go the distance and take out the entire CB ? Taking the easy target out is essentially a very cowardly way of dong things. The loyalists up here used to go and kill your brother / sister / mother / father if they couldn't get at you. They thought that was as good as killing you.

They are annoyed at that OM, everyone is, the way they treated Billy, one of the greatest of the game.

One of the greatest of the game ?? No doubt about that - just like Gerald  - so you've no dfficulty treating another legend shamefully, just cos it suits you ??

Fairly perverse logic alright. As I said before, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 04, 2009, 03:07:22 PM

Wy not just go the distance and take out the entire CB ? Taking the easy target out is essentially a very cowardly way of dong things. The loyalists up here used to go and kill your brother / sister / mother / father if they couldn't get at you. They thought that was as good as killing you.

They are annoyed at that OM, everyone is, the way they treated Billy, one of the greatest of the game.

One of the greatest of the game ?? No doubt about that - just like Gerald  - so you've no dfficulty treating another legend shamefully, just cos it suits you ??

Fairly perverse logic alright. As I said before, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It is the way in. For the 100th time. Getting rid of Gerald is the start of getting power back to the clubs. It's the first step in overturning the CB. Can you not see that. Gerald was a legend of a player but I'm running out of sympathy for him. He's staying where he is despite what the grassroots and the players want. Gerald himself said that it'd be the grassroots who'd decide, they have. The Cb decision to stick behind Gerald and to the rules has back fired in so many different ways. It was like a red flag to a bull.
Gerald was a legend of a player, but it was different, he made his bed and chose what side to sleep on.
Billy did nothing wrong.
There is a massive difference and the fact that you wont or can't see that says a lot about you.

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on March 04, 2009, 02:35:31 PM

I'm not surprised that after all this that you think this is just to get rid of Gerald. I now know that you have that little GAA knowledge that that is all you can manage to grasp so I'm not even going to bother saying it again.
It's been said 100 times backwards forwards and upside down and either you've ignored 100 times or you are that slow. Your pick.

;D Jesus your a laugh Reillers. The man who covers all his bases when positioning what/who the players are after so that he can pull each of them out as evidence when required.

Are you prepared to say now that the players didn't just set out to get rid of Ger McC because thats what I have accused them of and you have stated the same in the past?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on March 04, 2009, 03:27:19 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 04, 2009, 02:35:31 PM

;D Jesus your a laugh Reillers. The man who covers all his bases when positioning what/who the players are after so that he can pull each of them out as evidence when required.

Are you prepared to say now that the players didn't just set out to get rid of Ger McC because thats what I have accused them of and you have stated the same?

The idea was at the start to get rid of Gerald because of the way he was reappointed, but things have escalated so much, it's a lot bigger then Gerald now. If that's what you meant and it was me only half reading your post which is kinda what I did, then I apologise.

Reillers

From PROC.
McCarthy Now an Advantage: The Tables Have Turned
Finbarr Barry

The tables have turned so much in the Cork GAA stand-off that it is now a major advantage for the pro-player side that Gerald MacCarthy remains as the Cork senior hurling coach.

For the Cork County Board and Gerald MacCarthy it must have been shocking to hear reports of the overwhelming support for the players, not to mention their unexpected standing ovation from club chairmen last Sunday.

No matter what spin the County Board's PR company dress up the current strategy with, all subscribers to Frank Murphy's stance will have been struck by the vehement opposition to them among the grass roots of Cork GAA.

It will be tough. Spinning the latest bolstering of support for the players that is. The only defence yet again has been waving a rule book and pretending that its "business as usual" - like the pathetically loyal generals of a crumbling dictatorship.

Outside Pairc Úi Chaoimh, the sound of the revolution (called for by the last manager to win an All-Ireland) is getting louder by the day. Inside the bunker the same mantra is being repeated like worried Hare Krishnas, "rules, rules, rules".

First those who supported the players were alleged to be a small minority. Then over 10,000 Corkonians who marched in support of the players were branded "shoppers" who happened to be in the city centre following a few nuts jobs like us with flags and drums.

Then we weren't "real" fans and any non paid-up members of clubs, despite their monstrous revenue raising potential for Cork GAA, didn't matter. Now the players getting a standing ovation from over 140 clubs is irrelevant.

No. No. It's not in the book lads. There are no rules about this.

The choice of tactic from the CCB executive now appears self-defeating. Ironically it is now the presence of Gerald MacCarthy which has become the driving force behind the root and branch revolution.

Had the board given the St. Finbarr's man the boot much earlier, the players would have settled for his head and little more. The pressure coming into the season with a new manager would have been high. The smaller anti-player grouping and hurling G.O.W.L.'s would have been waiting to roar dissent at the first puck of a ball. Next season some other rule book compliant obstacle would have been slung in the players' way.

Instead MacCarthy's now ludicrously untenable position has won over some of the biggest sceptics. The threat to the administrators' positions is now very real. Instead of scoring yet another own goal they may now be substituted off the field altogether.

Credible journalists, initially diplomatic and balanced, are now openly ridiculing the board. Radio and TV appearances from Cork GAA officials have become comical. The misfortunate development squad are being sent into regular trouncings. The board themselves have more or less admitted, through Croke Park's document, that they are incapable of making an un-politicised choice when it come to selecting hurling and football managers.

The board's media war is being lost too despite the, no doubt, heavy fees charged by the PR company hired by the County Board to shine the turd. BY the way this where the dirty twenties we hand over at the turnstiles are shipped off to. This where o2's cash is going.

Among all GAA enthusiasts there has always been a deep feeling that Frank Murphy and company were playing far too much politics with the national sport in Cork. The air of mystery and lack of open accountability regarding the executive's operations has always perplexed and often enraged clubs and supporters. Not going to vote with us, is it? Aren't you the fella looking for a new roof for your club house?

Each Irish passport holder is entitled to feel a connection to Ireland's national sports no matter how tenuous their involvement. Sure, there has to be rules, regulations, members, administrators and county secretaries but when those who abuse power for their own gain are shown up they must be removed. No individual owns hurling or Gaelic football. It belongs to the people.

If the executive decided to ditch MacCarthy a few weeks ago this particular chapter in the pedantic off-field politics of Cork GAA would have been closed but now it seems this chapter may be the end of the book itself.

Zulu

It's funny reading pro-CB posters at this stage, I'd say yer not sure what yer arguing any more, ye started off arguing that the players were going against the age old democratic process that has served the GAA so well and that the grassroots were being ignored. Then when that process was shown to be, at least, very flawed ye tried to tell us that it was the way of the world so it was no biggie, now that the grassroots are coming out in favour of the players yer arguing what exactly? That Gerald isn't a problem and therefore shouldn't be got rid of? That there are clubs who will support the CB or that if only 55% of clubs support the players that it isn't worth all this?

I'm not sure ye have a point any more, maybe one or two of ye could tell us what point yer trying to make.