McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 24, 2009, 03:22:29 PM
IMO Gerald will have to go, there has been too much said and done for Gerald and the players to ever work harmoniously again. At this stage I don't know why he'd want them back anyway, if I were him I'd either plow on with the current squad or stand aside.

Right now he is ploughing on with the current squad - but most people, the clubs, the general public want the best team on the field which undoubtedly includes the 2008 panel.

I can't see the clubs shafting Gerald - their gripe is NOT with Gerald but with the CB.

Croke Park seem to believe that there is a way around the current difficutlies that CAN involve the 2008 panel and Gerald working together in some way, obviously assisted by others. That's what they will focus on in the next day or two and I think you'll see a solution come the weekend.

dowling

Maybe if there hadn't been a Donal og there wouldn't have been the same problems.

Zulu

QuoteIt doesn't matter what circumstances are involved, a veto is a veto plain and simple.

Of course it matters, problems and issues can't be summed up by dictionary definitions, if there were four candidates nominated the only one the players wouldn't have played for IMO is Gerald. If, for example, Nickey English was nominated but the players wouldn't play for him, they said they'd only play for their preferred candidate, lets say Ger Cunningham, then I'd say screw them. But they simply said they couldn't play for Gerald, yet their fellow selection committee men ignored this, so yes they are right to walk away from men who treat their opinion like that.

QuoteWhere is there a rule that says anyone needs to justify his appointment ?

So I presume if the Sligo CB appointed one of Sligo towns local drunks you'd feel they don't need to justify that appointment to anyone and I presum you'd expect the players to stop acting like pre-madonna's and get on with it, right?

The GAA

QuoteMaybe if there hadn't been a Donal og there wouldn't have been the same problems.

Speculation my good man - and speculation which is looking increasingly personalized and misguided as the dispute moves towards resolution

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 24, 2009, 03:50:54 PM

QuoteMaybe if there hadn't been a Donal og there wouldn't have been the same problems.

Speculation my good man - and speculation which is looking increasingly personalized and misguided as the dispute moves towards resolution

Well if you're saying Frank Murphy on the one hand is a problem, even though it was initally Ger, then why can Donal og not be viewed in a similar way? Others have implied that casualties need to be borne on both sides to find a resolution with Donal og being the 'preferred' candidate on the panel's side. Nothing personalised about it although I'm well used to you now trying to put a different slant on what posters put on here.
Moving towards resolution? I certainly hope so but there could well be a bit to go yet and a few twists and turns along the way. But we'll see.

dowling

You see GAA someone had to start all this on the 2008 panel's side. Someone showed me an article by the Antrm manager who also alluded to this. The likely suspect would be Donal og. Or do you think it may have been someone else?

orangeman

Quote from: dowling on February 24, 2009, 04:21:01 PM

You see GAA someone had to start all this on the 2008 panel's side. Someone showed me an article by the Antrm manager who also alluded to this. The likely suspect would be Donal og. Or do you think it may have been someone else?

Can anyone put up Sambo's article in the Irish News of last wek ?

Zulu

QuoteWell if you're saying Frank Murphy on the one hand is a problem, even though it was initally Ger

Where was that stated? I think all pro-player posters have consistently said that we support the players because the CB clearly re-appointed Gerald to get at them. The players don't rate Gerald and can't work with him so Gerald was the initial problem and continues to be the main, short term problem but the CCB are obviously a major problem for Cork GAA in general. I think it is clear that both are and always were part of the same problem but Gerald is the one that needs to go for a short term solution and it will then be up to the clubs to decide what they want to do about the long term one.

QuoteYou see GAA someone had to start all this on the 2008 panel's side.

Why did someone have to start it on the players side? The CB started it all on their own and I'm sure there are many leaders in that Cork dressing room so many of them probably reacted to the CB's decision to reappoint Gerald in the same fashion.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 24, 2009, 04:17:01 PM
Well if you're saying Frank Murphy on the one hand is a problem, even though it was initally Ger, then why can Donal og not be viewed in a similar way?

I said no such thing.
The contribution of murphy has been well documented. cite the reasons for painting cusack in the same light please.

Others have implied that casualties need to be borne on both sides to find a resolution with Donal og being the 'preferred' candidate on the panel's side. Nothing personalised about it

who's preferred candidate and why?
It's particularly personal and can't be classed as anything else.

I'm well used to you now trying to put a different slant on what posters put on here.

i deal strictly in facts and you wil not be able to refute that however hard you look - something which seems to irk those who seek to demonise the players on this thread.

Moving towards resolution? I certainly hope so but there could well be a bit to go yet and a few twists and turns along the way. But we'll see.

Twists and turns ahead surely but croke park are determined to put an end to it and that will be the decisive factor

dowling

So let me get this right GAA and Zulu.
Are you both saying that Frank isn't and never was a problem?

dowling

Sambo slams Cork hurlers for 'losing principles'

TERENCE 'Sambo' McNaughton has accused the striking Cork hurlers of "losing touch with the principles of the GAA".

Speaking after Saturday's Inter-provincial semi-final defeat to Leinster, the joint Antrim and Ulster manager said he was pessimistic about a breakthrough between the warring factions of the Rebel county.

"I think some of them have lost the principles of the GAA. In my experience and during my lifetime, I think we in Ulster have been more in touch with these principles than our southern counterparts.

"Maybe it's been the impact of The Troubles that has something to do with our outlook and how we view things differently from GAA people in the south."

Last Friday night, there was some hope of a resolution being brokered between the 2008 senior squad and manager Gerald McCarthy.

At a hastily arranged county board meeting, Blarney delegate Alan White intimated that the position of the players had softened towards McCarthy and compromise was possible.

However, the striking hurlers promptly poured scorn on White's assessment, reiterating their call for McCarthy's resignation.

They said they could not abide by the peace proposals tabled by Croke Park last Thursday, one of which insisted the players work under the current manager.

In a last-ditch attempt to end the crisis, the 2008 Cork hurling squad was set to meet county club chairmen last night to force change.

Despite moves over the last 48 hours, McNaughton believes relations within the Rebel county are damaged beyond repair.

"I don't think the two sets of people involved could ever go into the same changing room again," he said.

"I think it's gone beyond that. One has to go. I cannot see a situation where Gerald McCarthy sits and looks at Donal Og Cusack and Sean Og [O hAilpin] in the eye.

"Too much has happened now to think that everyone is going to live happily ever after. It's possible that the current Cork team could be playing in the Christy Ring Cup next year. It's a crazy scenario."

While McNaughton had some sympathy for the Cork hurlers, he maintained the step to withdraw their services was too extreme.

"Players are putting in so much effort nowadays, there's no point, as they see it,

working so hard and then somebody spoiling it on them. I know if things would have been better at different times in my playing days we could have done better.

"It's a very hard one to call because we're an amateur association but we're applying professional standards.

"If a guy is making all those sacrifices and he sees it being messed up by a manager, it's hard to do it.

"And then the Chinese whispers start; one boy is not happy and then another is unhappy, and it develops around the changing room. But nobody can tell me all 30 fellas wouldn't hurl for Gerald McCarthy."

McNaughton believes that a lack of communication over the last number of years

between county officers and the Cork hurlers has led to the current impasse.

"When the Cushendall team is named before our All-Ireland semi-final, and your brother or your son isn't on, you're annoyed, but a week passes and you get on with it. Going on strike doesn't come into it."

He added: "People are there with the right heart and mind. Gerald McCarthy's heart is in Cork hurling.

"There should have been more communication before it developed. I don't think managers should pick managers; that's a crazy scenario.

"But county boards have to take more responsibility, insofar as trying to find out what players think. It's like marriage, communication is everything."

dowling

I have to say that the pro posters on here are the ones who lose sight of reality. I disputed two radio interviews with Reillers and on the second one in particular he slighted Alan White whereas I read the situ differently and was proved right. A man trying his best and who obviously leant towards the 2008 panel was ripped to shreds. I'd have to say the posters who don't support the strike have the more open minds.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 24, 2009, 10:44:38 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 24, 2009, 09:25:08 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 24, 2009, 09:12:50 AM
Its not a fair analogy, most of them are senior club champions, hardly junior c. As i said earlier you'd hardly consider Barry Johnson a junior C hurler. BY the looks of it he's well capable of being a first choice player for Cork. Not sure Cork have a better corner back than Conor O Sullivan. Lovely tidy hurler. I couldn't give a continental about Cork to be honest, I'm more concerned about the ramificiations of this  around the rest of the association and the culture it is going to create. In my view it isn't a healthy one.
Cork seem to have no comphrehension of the effect they have had on the rest of the association. Wexford last year got relegated because of Cork. Not that Reillers and Co will acknowledge that. Next year when the 08 squad are back they'll beat everyone by 30 points in div2. Totally distort the division and as a result somebody else won't get exposure to div1 hurling.
He wasn't talking about the 09 players. How hard is that to understand.
He was talking about at a club and in a club the fourth string down is Junior C is it not? 
And with the exception of about 3 or 4 none of these players are no where near the level needed.
If you couldn't care less why come on here to whinge and bitch about Cork every second. If you don't care then don't comment.
We wont acknowledge the fact that Wexford got relegated because of Cork, since when can you read minds.
And if the association functioned properlly then we wouldn't have this problem.

Here we go . the association functions fine in 31 counties except for you bunch of anti-christs down there. Whether its Stephen Ireland, Roy Keane, the Cork Hurlers, Frank Murphy the cork county board, Ronan O Gara, all from Cork and cause nothing but aggro. Wexford did get relegated because of Cork last year, because you should have had to fofeit the points against them because you didn't fufill the fixture and they weren't the only ones who had to reschedule matches.
The inference was there Reillers and it was unecessary. He's perfectly entitled to his views on the subject without insulting people. The reason I object to it is because the 09 players have kept their mouths shut and haven't insulted anybody in the debate. Yet he chose to bring them into the debate. Uncalled for. He's entitlled to his views on other active members of the dispute but he should have left them out of it.

The association functions fine in 31 other counties, either you're living under a rock or Dublin GAA is ran outstandingly because you are deluded to say otherwise. It's a joke, the set ups a joke.
The GPA spend more time working with weak counties then the GAA do.
The provincials aren't great, in hurling you've got Munster which can throw out very competitive games year in year out, in Leinster, you've got KK, now through no fault of their own and they'd probably still win it anyway, but still that shouldn't be the point, they only have to play one potentially hard game a year to get to the AI final because Leinster is so poor. It's unfair on the other teams as well, because how better would teams like Dublin and co be, poor teams with potential though, if they didn't have to turn up to a KK game each season with the attitude of lets keep the score lower then 20. You've got nothing in the West at all except Galway.
They moved Galway into Leinster, like Galway up till then, had one game and if they lost that, unlike everyone else they'd no second chance, now which is some progress I suppose, but still the set up of the games and fixtures isn't.
Then the same with the football. Dublin pretty much have it easy in Leinster (get the press all hyped up maybe it's Dublins year) and loose then later on.
You've two teams in Munster Cork Kerry, year in year out it's stale, and then you've got  Ulster which is very competitive and Connacht the level of play varies year to year.
Then you've got the set up of clubs, Cb's all over the country. The players, till recently were given no respect and no voice and no thought. Shut up or put up, something which the CB in Cork hasn't gotten rid of, because the players are the unforgiven always will be.
There are so, SO, many problems in the administration. Ya they pull off a hell of tournament when it comes to the AI final usually, but how much time is spent on the lower competitions like the Christy Ring Cup and such.

When it comes to the shiny end of the deal the GAA's great but in the nitty gritty unpleasant bits they have major, major flaws and I think everyone knows that, apart from you.

I wasn't the one who let the team play last season in the League, it was a choice made by Croke Park, if that had been Wexford or Offaly would the GAA have done the same and been so leniant, I don't think so.

Humphries probably shouldn't have said what he said but the reactions have been too dramatic from some.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 24, 2009, 05:25:04 PM
I have to say that the pro posters on here are the ones who lose sight of reality. I disputed two radio interviews with Reillers and on the second one in particular he slighted Alan White whereas I read the situ differently and was proved right. A man trying his best and who obviously leant towards the 2008 panel was ripped to shreds. I'd have to say the posters who don't support the strike have the more open minds.

We've all, everyone on here, the players, CB, Gerald..etc have all made mistakes. Ya you were right on that bit, like I was right on Gerald being a pawn, the 09 hurlers being a pawn, clubs not being represented by their delegates, the delegates being monkeys to the FM, the players having the true backing of the grassroots..would you like me to go on because the list is very long and only getting longer.

All of which you said was bullshit and the players were "ripped to shreads" by yourself.

You..open minded..pull the other one.

INDIANA

Reillers, in Dublin we're aware of the democratic processes we don't need to go on strike.
Reillers the current kk team would win the munster championship for the next decade. It doesn't matter who manages Cork you're not going to beat them .
Its not out fault the other counties in leinster are crap at football. We've a very poor underage football record so its a shocking endigtment on those counties themselves. Its nothing to do with adminstration its to do with emigration and alcohol in most cases.
Very few issues with county boards anywhere else again thats just a figment of yout imagination or Reillersland as Tatler calls it.
Every county now plays a hurling competition at their own level. That is massive progress from previous years in itself. There are issues like when they shifted the Christy Ring final last year but nothing on the scale of what you're proposing.
We've seen the Donegal hurlers play in croke park, the kildare hurlers . How is that poor adminsitration?The nitty, gritty crevasses that you claim exist all  largely come from one county ie Cork. If Cork was cut adrift from this country in the morning, who would miss it?
And now Humphries shouldn't have said it? Obviously people in Cork weren't too happy about it either about a group of lads who totally removed themselves from the argument whatever the rights and wrongs of it to be publicly insulted yesterday.
The Gaa isn't perfect but is miles ahead of the likes of the IRFU and the FAI and various others on the globe. And I think you'll find whether they are pro or anti player posters most of them will agree with me on that.Its tried to intervene in Cork and its literally thrown in their face everytime they do.