McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:45:32 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 23, 2009, 03:32:34 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:14:59 PM

Have to agree with Indiana (i know) on the junior c comment from humphreys - certainly uncalled for though hardly heresy.
i haven't read much of his stuff in recent years - at what point did he lose his credability as a journo bt7?

Dowling

1 - canty is captain of the footballers, who only last year had to take similar action with respect to the same ccb to have things done correctly with respect to managerial appointments. he needed the hurlers for that battle and he's showing them a bit of support back. are you that detached from the ethos of team and solidarity? they have a common enemy.

2 - you are still of the ernestly held opinion that McCarthy is a top level coach?

3 - the GPA have declined the 2008 membership?

Yes I understand what Canty is and all about last year GAA. The footballers have already expressed their position and support so why was Canty at the meeting and appearing on the news before the meeting. A reminder of more to come perhaps rather than just a show of solidarity?
I'm of the earnestly held opinion that players should not be able to pick a coach or a manager or decide who it shouldn't be.
I stand to be corrected and have no problems whenever such happens but unless we are having a play on words yes, I was under the impression that the 2008 panel were not present GPA members according to the GPA. Of course some might think the GPA would say that.

"Common enemy?" The use of such language sums up the mentality of yourself and others.

both i'm sure.

you missed the second question

I can think of no better term for people privileged to be given (and some of them paid for) the task of serving their county and they make decisions other than for the good of the county and for personal vendettas.

So which of the county panels are you on GAA?
Or if it's neither what perspective are you coming at this from that you refer to a "common enemy"?
What is your club in Cork?

As to your question you say I missed I gave an answer which by implication was that wasn't an issue here. But to go into a bit for you, taking what others have said about his coaching I would have to conclude he's a top level coach. Going by what the 2008 panel spokespersons have to say I would have to conclude some of those players don't like his style and methods.

Did you check the GPA bit GAA?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 04:41:45 PM

In what way?

a lockerroom article he wrote on the topic at the time, just before the vote. In my book his article was nothing short of a disgrace and extremely offensive (being one who opposed the motion).

I'm not willing to go back into the whole topic now. Its on here somewhere. It was discussed to death at the time. I'm sure the posts still survive. If not, I'm sure the article can be retrieved from the irishtimes.com archives easily enough

BallyhaiseMan

Reilers can you reply to some of these points to give me a better understanding of what the problems are like down in Cork.
The part of this situation that i cannot fathom is this,
that the clubs have not backed their players who were on the 08 panel and ousted the County board or specific members that are causing problems.if every club with representatives on the team kicked up a fuss,then their would have to be change.
Is there a particular jealousy from certain clubs over players not getting picked? or what is the case?

In my own county,the players(who are treated like superstars) binned one manager in the last 10 years(Liam Austin)whom they didnt believe was up to the job,
if county board officials or chairmen went up against the players in a dispute like this, the individual or individual's would be landed out on their ass by the clubs within a week.

orangeman

Did you see the report on RTE main news tonight about the meeting last night -

YES - the 2008 panel did get a standing ovation and
YES the CB did get a serious slating from those delegates who were interviewed.

But not one wrong word was said about Gerald Mc Carthy.

Will the CB now throw him to the wolves to save their own hides ?
Will the clubs follow through with their attempts to have more say but fall short of asking for Mc Carthy's removal ?

The delegates really were pissed off about the board, I'll grant you that much.

Reillers

FIrst of all Humphries I think is a good journalist. I like what he wrote, I think it was pretty much bang on. The only people who haven't enjoyed it are those who've spent weeks and months (how sad are we) ripping lairs off the players and everything they stood for and have faught for.
The Junior C thing was, like it's been said here, an analogy, he wasn't saying that they were junior c he was just making a point and the fact that all of the anti player posters on here went overdramatic and over the top about it is really just them clutching at straws because they have had no problem with calling and reading players being called spoilt, drama queens, bastards, everything under the sun. But when an article truely reflecting what's going on the only thing targeted is Humphries and his Junior C reference which was no more then him making a point, not an attack on the junior players which is clear to see.
And calling the CB executives dunces..a light way to put it. But instead of actually reading it and taking points from it which are true ye just attack the journalist who in fairness is one of the best sports journo around.
Some of ye have called the players everything under the sun and more. But Humphries makes an analogy and ye rip him apart, what gives him the right..etc.
What gave ye the right to call the 08 panel everything ye have called them. It wasn't a personal attack on the 09 players at all, unlike what ye have done for the 08 players.

He who throws the first stone..

orangeman

You haven't exactly been behind the door when the stones were being thrown yourself Reillers.

As you say. he who casts the first stone.......................  ;) ;)

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 07:17:12 PM
Did you see the report on RTE main news tonight about the meeting last night -

YES - the 2008 panel did get a standing ovation and
YES the CB did get a serious slating from those delegates who were interviewed.

But not one wrong word was said about Gerald Mc Carthy.

Will the CB now throw him to the wolves to save their own hides ?
Will the clubs follow through with their attempts to have more say but fall short of asking for Mc Carthy's removal ?

The delegates really were pissed off about the board, I'll grant you that much.

For the 100th time OM. Since the very start this has been about the way in which McCarthy was reappointed that was the problem. While the players wanted a new manager because for one reason or another the manager and team didn't work out together. It happens, it's know ones fault really, it just happens.
But McCarthy made it extremley personal, he went to the press 40 odd times compared to something like 10 or so from the players. McCarthy felt like he had to respond so constantly came out and attacked the team, he kept going to the press, kept slagging them in the press and they ended up getting in a war of words with McCarthy because in fairness some of what he was saying was bullshit and crap like leaking the document which made things 100 times worse, was a real low, something which he never once denied doing.
It became extremely bitter and bitchy between both sides. But it was never about McCarthy personally, it was the way in which he was reappointed, it's what the players said at the start and have kept with.
No one wanted to smash McCarthy, not the players or the clubs. He's a legend and he's done a hell of a lot for the game.
The real problem is the CB, the way in which McCarthy was reappointed is the problem that has led to this. McCarthy is a byproduct of the CB.
The problem is and ALWAYS has been the CB and their actions..ie reappointing McCarthy.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if FM threw him to the wolves, I said from the start that he was a pawn and the CB would if needed be have no problem washing their hands of him at the end.
And the first thing the clubs will do is get rid of McCarthy, even if it's the only thing they do.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 07:44:21 PM
You haven't exactly been behind the door when the stones were being thrown yourself Reillers.

I never once said I did, but ye, just came across a complete hypocrits.

orangeman

To be fair to you Reillers, and God knows, we've argued vociferously on either side in this thread, but you did say that Mc Carthy was a pawn of the CB and maybe you'll be proved right.

But I personally would be very disappointed to see such a legend used in this way. If Mc Carthy is forced out which you now says is more than likely, the sad thing is that FM and those who take the decisions that affect Cork hurling are left in situ.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 23, 2009, 07:51:24 PM

;D ;D

Reillers

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 23, 2009, 05:47:47 PM
Reilers can you reply to some of these points to give me a better understanding of what the problems are like down in Cork.
The part of this situation that i cannot fathom is this,
that the clubs have not backed their players who were on the 08 panel and ousted the County board or specific members that are causing problems.if every club with representatives on the team kicked up a fuss,then their would have to be change.
Is there a particular jealousy from certain clubs over players not getting picked? or what is the case?

In my own county,the players(who are treated like superstars) binned one manager in the last 10 years(Liam Austin)whom they didnt believe was up to the job,
if county board officials or chairmen went up against the players in a dispute like this, the individual or individual's would be landed out on their ass by the clubs within a week.

The Cb works in a strange way to say the least.

Frank Murphy is untouchable.. till now.

Teams have been known to be put in the black book if they speak up against the CB. I can't overstate how much power FM has and how much pressure he puts on the men in the room.
If someone was to stand up and say oh this isn't right or that isn't right, there is very little chance anyone in the room would back them up, and they would be given the cold shoulder to say the least.
Crap fixtures, no great matches, no tickets..etc. and to an extent because of that, little funds.
Teams looked out for themselves and themselves only.
And the same applied to a lot of the IC players' teams.
It's the way it was.
And to be honest, some clubs just didn't care.
Some were just FM fossil friends stuck back 20 years ago.
There were a few who would vote against FM but usually in large most didn't.

It's a joke really. Hopefully the players have changed that now, though there's a long way to go yet, if the players pull this off we, Cork GAA will be forever grateful of them because then Cork GAA can move on from the past 20 years ago and God only knows what will happen if the players only had to fight battles on the field.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 23, 2009, 07:51:24 PM

;D ;D

Oh come on, ye have called the players brats, spoilt, bastards, pricks, drama queens, attention seekers..etc the list goes on and on. Despite the fact of years of incredible service and ye have had no problem at all calling them everything under the sun.
Humphries compares the 09 squad who have been on the squad for about 2 months, who knew exactly what they were getting into. Humphries uses an example by comparing them to Junior C players, which was more of an analogy then anything, he wasn't saying they were junior c players, but my God do ye have a fit.
Junior C..how dare he. FFS like.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 07:54:50 PM
To be fair to you Reillers, and God knows, we've argued vociferously on either side in this thread, but you did say that Mc Carthy was a pawn of the CB and maybe you'll be proved right.

But I personally would be very disappointed to see such a legend used in this way. If Mc Carthy is forced out which you now says is more than likely, the sad thing is that FM and those who take the decisions that affect Cork hurling are left in situ.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

It does for the CB. Damage control because God forbid FM's power slips. The players are and have been a massive threat to their power. That's all FM cares about power.That's it.
What worries me is if the CB get rid of McCarthy now will the clubs stay motivated to carry on with what the players have started.
The players have since 02 been the only force fighting them and now maybe ye see why we think so highly of them when it comes to this.
The IC players, 30 plus men. Standing up to these bullies again and again.
It was never their job and shouldn't have been their job.
No way should it have been down to the IC players to organise the clubs, to hold their hand.
The players have done a lot for this county without even stepping onto the field.

tyronefan

how can they go after FM now  when they said all along that the problem was Ger

Reillers

Quote from: tyronefan on February 23, 2009, 08:22:08 PM
how can they go after FM now  when they said all along that the problem was Ger

It's always, ALWAYS been about the CB. From the very start, the reasons why the players took this action is because of the way in which the COUNTY BOARD reappointed FM.