McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 11:39:57 AM
The last strike was over in a few days. The union had not envisaged such a long strike this time around ( and it's NOT over yet ).

Once agaian, that is entirely irrelevent to the point you've just been pulled up on:

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 11:32:44 AM
It was tried many times. how long is it since the very motion that the clubs are now going to propose again to ensure club consultation before important votes by delegates was defeated? a month? less?

I think i've worked it out now. there's 3 or 4 of you posting under "orangeman" and consequently when one of the other lads logs on he can't be expected to follow what the last om has been posting or asked to qualify. hence the incoherent posts and unanswered questions.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 11:59:13 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 23, 2009, 11:39:57 AM
The last strike was over in a few days. The union had not envisaged such a long strike this time around ( and it's NOT over yet ).

Once agaian, that is entirely irrelevent to the point you've just been pulled up on:  NOT RELEVANT

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 11:32:44 AM
It was tried many times. how long is it since the very motion that the clubs are now going to propose again to ensure club consultation before important votes by delegates was defeated? a month? less?

I think i've worked it out now. there's 3 or 4 of you posting under "orangeman" and consequently when one of the other lads logs on he can't be expected to follow what the last om has been posting or asked to qualify. hence the incoherent posts and unanswered questions.

You're not coming across very well recently ! A bit like the 2008 panel - they can't remember what they said to whom about what.

The GAA

Not coming across very well to you because i keep asking you questions you can't answer

sligeach

Quote from: Reillers on February 23, 2009, 08:53:12 AM
Sligeach, how many more times and ways do different people have to say.
This was never about picking the manager.

County Board pick manager X, players say "No" = Veto.

Picking the manager is exactly what the players are asking for. It doesn't matter if they want to pick manager x or they simply DON'T want manager y. Its the exact same thing. They are choosing, they are picking and they shouldn't be and until you and others open your eyes and see that FACT then your never going to come close to convincing others that this is the right decision.

The players ARE trying to choose the manager, that is a fact.

If tomorrow my boss tells me I have a new department head, Mr. X and I say "No, anyone but him or I'm on strike", I am CHOOSING my department head.

This is the dictionary definition of a veto, I mean how twisted does your opinion and mind have to be to not see that ? And I'm not talking about you reillers, I'm talking about everyone.

This is not a play on words, it IS a veto.

QuoteIt was never about the players wanting to do their own thing.

Thats EXACTLY what they are doing. They want their thing done regarding the management.

QuoteIf you read what I just posted or if you bothered actually looking into what's been said over the last few weeks you'd know that there's no democracy in Cork GAA.

Ah yes, the last great facist leader in Europe, Frank Murphy, whose superhuman skills involve holding the entire Cork GAA under his thumb. Some man Frank   ::)

QuoteWhy don't you actually read the facts instead of coming on here to bitch and whinge.

Dictionary -> Veto

Explain to me how what the players are doing is not a veto, by using the dictionary definition of said word, and I'll consider listening to you.

QuoteIt's nothing to do with the manager as such, it was the way in which he was reappointed. They don't want to pick their own manager, they just want to play.

They are NOT playing for the very fact they WON'T play under the manager that they DON'T want.

That is a veto, that is picking the manager, that is manipulating the managerial process.

QuoteThe players are nothing but professional and everyone but McCarthy and his current selectors have only had good things to say about the players. That's managers likes Donal O Grady, John Allen, not to mention the selectors and co who have been and gone.
There's a reason for that.

Count me alongside McCarthy and the selectors when it comes to Mr Cusack. As for the other lads, your right, they are professional and I would have very little to say that wasn't good about them as players and as men.

That doesn't mean they're right in this.

QuoteThis isn't player power, this is just the players fighting back  because purely till now, no one has.

If its not for player power then what are they fighting back against ? what are they fighting for ?

They are fighting for the power to help choose their own manager.

So players standing up for their rights and for IC hurling is worse then the disgraceful corruption that has had a stranglehold on Cork GAA for years.

Ya says a lot about you if you think that. 

Says a lot for you when you suddenly think that the words of the English language can suddenly change their meaning if an overrated hurling goalkeeper says they do.

The GAA

Wiithout getting into the dictionary definition of a veto i can't see how the players having an input can be viewed with such distain?

after all they are the closest thing any county has to experts in the field if they don't engage with recently retired and now coaching players. it'd be only sensible for a typical county executive to get their opinions on board.

In being particular to cork, then there obviously has to be some checks or balances to the workings of the executive in these matters given the flagrant abuse of mandated powers they have been known for in the recent past.

as members of the association with a vested interest in the appointment of management i don't see why players shouldn't have an input. in cork, i think the influences of members from outside the executive needs to be greater than in other counties

sligeach

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 12:25:09 PM

Wiithout getting into the dictionary definition of a veto i can't see how the players having an input can be viewed with such distain?

Well personally I DON'T think players should have official representatives on the selection committee but I'd be willing to accept it. I believe players do have valuable opinions on managing, but they also have terrible opinions on it simply because they are going to be under that management. 

But 'input' is not what they want. They see 'input' as forcing a decision one way or another. Thats not input, thats blackmail.

And again, I have no problem with the players protesting this issue, through the proper channels.

They could have played on and made their feelings known to the clubs, given their take on Geralds managing and NOT threatened Cork GAA with blackmail like spoilt children.

The Clubs could have had a vote of no confidence without the players blackmailing everyone.

EddieMerx

So sick of this now, at the end of the day no matter what the final outcome is Cork will still lose by a large margin to Coadys men. I heard a story last night about Coady and his reaction when they lost to Tipp in the League last year. If the Cork players suffered the same consequences as the Kilkenny boys did, then they would know what poor conditions are.

INDIANA

Where does Humphries get the right to call the current Cork team Junior C hurlers. He may be from my club and all that but he's in the wrong there in my view. Maybe Tom should revisit his own particular talents on a Gaa field before making a statement like that. They may not be the best hurlers in Cork but they deserve better comment then that . They are all good hurlers and certainly aren't anywhere near Junior C hurlers. Wahtever the rights and wrongs on the issue, the current players haven't insulted anyone and they deserve better treatment than that. I think anyone on whatever side of the debate they stand should be able to recognise that.

Eoghan Mag

EddieMerx please elaborate on the Coady story. Other counties might learn something from it.

EddieMerx

Apparently at the next training session Coady arrives in a tells them all they have become soft, tells them they are being looked after too well and that they don't deserve to train in Nowlan Park. A bus arrives outside where they are then brought to a sandpit (could have been a dog track) where they are told this is where they will be training from here on, Coady also informs them if they are not happy they are free to leave as there are plenty of guys willing to wear the jersey.

RedandGreenSniper

Not impressed with Humphries' effort either Indiana. There was pettiness in it that I thought he was above. County board = dunces. No need for it.

Bottom line though, the players have managed to reveal, and may yet possibly change, a lot of the problems in the county board. No bad thing. But I still can't accept their means for doing it. The GAA folk of Cork have obviously finally decided to try and buck the system. The pro players lads here will say that only the actions of the 2008 players brought this to a head.

However I find it hard to understand that the clubs of Cork could be so unwilling to affect change, for whatever reason (malaise, fear or whatever), for so long and it is very worrying that it takes a move by the players for this to happen. Could they not have affected changes through the medium of the clubs long before now? What happens next will be interesting but I think the momentum is definitely with the players now.

Cork may be an exceptional county in terms of problems but it is a very worrying trend for the players to do what they have done. Its not healthy and a dangerous precendent for the GAA. I really, really hope that in ten years time that won't be the legacy from this sorry mess.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Hound

In fairness to BigTom, he didnt call the current players Junior C players. He was using an analogy to describe the current players as being a number of levels below the 2008 players. It was the usual style of TH article, bits of exaggeration, slagging and his style of humour.  And of course biased towards his view, as you'd expect.

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 23, 2009, 01:17:40 PM
However I find it hard to understand that the clubs of Cork could be so unwilling to affect change, for whatever reason (malaise, fear or whatever), for so long and it is very worrying that it takes a move by the players for this to happen. Could they not have affected changes through the medium of the clubs long before now? What happens next will be interesting but I think the momentum is definitely with the players now.
I still wonder will the clubs have the bottle to effect the change that they seem to want (going by reports from their meeting with the 2008 players). Some clubs may hold EGMs straight away, but I think most clubs will just start the process of talking about it, and then go back to the 2008 gang for a progress meeting, where actually there'll be little progress made. In the meantime those with the power, will be doing everything they can behind the scenes to hold on to the power.  Though there is at least the possibility they can see themsleves losing their power, so they'll sacrifice McCarthy sooner...

INDIANA

Its a low blow Hound. Those players have simply worn the jersey and given a 100% when asked to do so.Its deeply insulting to describe the likes of Barry Johnson, Conor O Sullivan and Ray Ryan in any analogy with Junior C players. He's entitled to his views on the rest of it but he should have left that out of it and I would expect he'll get a lot of stick for that comment.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on February 23, 2009, 01:05:02 PM
Where does Humphries get the right to call the current Cork team Junior C hurlers. He may be from my club and all that but he's in the wrong there in my view. Maybe Tom should revisit his own particular talents on a Gaa field before making a statement like that. They may not be the best hurlers in Cork but they deserve better comment then that . They are all good hurlers and certainly aren't anywhere near Junior C hurlers. Wahtever the rights and wrongs on the issue, the current players haven't insulted anyone and they deserve better treatment than that. I think anyone on whatever side of the debate they stand should be able to recognise that.

Tom Humphries lost all credibility as a journalist a few years ago in my opinion. Why anyone gives anything he says any credence anymore is a mystery. Let him babble on however he wishes to. He is a good grassroots GAA club member, but he is in no position to cast dispersions the way he has been doing, or to force his opinions down people's throats the way he does. And its a bit rich of him continually lambasting the very GAA messageboards where he probably gets 99% of his ideas for articles from. Well Tom, at least on messageboards theres a bit of comeback. Your articles are gospel it seems.

And to equate what is happening with the manager in Cork to how a similar situation might play out at club level is completely wrong. There is simply no comparison. If the Cork way was the prevalent way then Brian Cody would have been ousted in Kilkenny years ago. Someone has to stand up to the troublemakers. Fair play to Gerald Mac for being that someone. Gerald McCarthy deluded? Really? He has achieved everything in the game. Who the hell are you to say he is 'deluded'?

My hope for the so-called Cork dispute is that soon people will start ignoring what Gardiner, Cusack and co have to say. To hell with them. They've said their piece. They sound like a broken record now. Let the 09 lads get on with it and not have to be worrying about what might happen a week or a month down the line.

dowling

So it appears Canty was there to give that extra little bit of bite. But his presence helps put into focus it's about player power. In some counties players want to dictate in areas because they feel they know best and gullible people come on here and agree as if no one else would have a clue about management or coaching, or a better idea of it, as if no one plays, played, coaches or coached.
How many of the club members at last night's meeting were at the meeting GMcC addressed when he was overwhelmingly given his vote of confidence? Any who weren't surely are obliged to offer to him the same courtesy of address.
There's maybe a bit further to go in all this yet but whether the players recognise it yet or not one thing is for sure, this year's dispute will have made any future strike action redundant as a weapon.
A question on the silent GPA. How can the GPA tally support for the 2008 panel while declining membership to it?