McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

gerald mc carthy has coached cork on numerous occasions before.
He brought waterford from the abyss to being a serious force.
He has trained numbers 75-90 in cork to run dublin and tipperary close for long stretches of games in recent weeks.
He is not as bad a coach as he's made out to be and I've spoken to Cork and Waterford people on this. Some of the stuff i've been told about the Offaly setup in recent weeks was quite astounding. So there is a difference in my view.
Reillers has his own view on it and he's entitled to it.
If you think coaching is 50% of a winning formula at top inter county level I don't agree with you. I know as a coach you can improve a player maybe 10% over the course of your term in most cases at top inter county level . You may achieve more with a few others but by and large at top inter county level coaching improvements are marginal because its already a high standard. You're damned by the players you have at your disposal and the skills they've acquired up to that stage. All you can do is refine them and no amount of refining of anyone's skills will beat the Cats at the moment unless kilkenny hit a really really bad day( and I mean bad)
Offaly on the other hand at football could be improved by 50% to get them to div 2 standard as they in the abyss at the moment. By having a good setup, gym programmes and an adequate place to train. They didn't have that. So they have no chance of ever been anything.

slow corner back

Indiana on the day your beloved dublin hurlers had their best win in years why are you not a) down the pub celebrating or b) regaling every1 on here with how good dublin were instead of posting in this extemely long winded thread???

INDIANA

Would if it was a Saturday, have to get out of bed in the morning! Still a great day for us. Its so long since I've seen Dublin hurl so well.

slow corner back

Fair play to youse do u fancy your chances of making the play offs now?

INDIANA

Won't make the playoffs, 2 more points and we'll be safe hopefully.

The GAA

Coaching can be as much as 50% of a winning formula. you can improve indivuals and i'll accept 10% as a roundabout figure but setting a team up with a system of play to suit the players style and more importantly coaching the intricacies of that system are where the real work is done and dividends reaped. The above is way more important than gym, training facilities, etc.

you are prepared to take the stories you hear about the offaly (granted you feel you have credible sources) set up at face value but are not prepared to accept that the cork hurlers do not rate McCarthy as a coach at the very top level?

INDIANA

Richie Connor has no track record GAA at county level. Check it out. Gerald does. Look its never going to be solved at this stage. Cork as a hurling force are finished unless there is a serious turnaround.

The GAA

Have to push you on that. its a fine point but the most important one. if McCarthy is not good enough at the top level in the modern game then thats the most vital factor in success. there's no shame in it, the game moves on.

if, as people keep claiming, the players were interested in profile and column inches they'd keep the head down and keep racking up the all ire semi appearances for another couple of years. clearly they want the best environment to compete in or not at all. fair enough in my book.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 07:46:31 PM
gerald mc carthy has coached cork on numerous occasions before. Years ago.
He brought waterford from the abyss to being a serious force. Very long time ago and times and things chance.
He has trained numbers 75-90 in cork to run dublin and tipperary close for long stretches of games in recent weeks. Close? That's you deffinition of close? Dublin aren't the best and Tipp were appauling, and weren't interested in the game till there was like 15 minutes left while they were playing without 6 of their best.
He is not as bad a coach as he's made out to be and I've spoken to Cork and Waterford people on this. Some of the stuff i've been told about the Offaly setup in recent weeks was quite astounding. So there is a difference in my view. He used to be a good coach, but that was a long time ago and things the times chance, just because you were a good manager 20 years ago doesn't mean you'll be a great one now and it's clear he can't deal with the players of today. And with a CB that works constantly to undermine them, and who's main goal is to get rid of the players, compared to what, what you've said poor gear, we're back in 2002 in Cork again and I'd take poor gear over a CB who's main goal is to get rid of our top players.
Reillers has his own view on it and he's entitled to it.
If you think coaching is 50% of a winning formula at top inter county level I don't agree with you. I know as a coach you can improve a player maybe 10% over the course of your term in most cases at top inter county level. You can also bring a team backwards with poor training and poor tactics and naive styles and stupid selections and subs, basic mistakes. You may achieve more with a few others but by and large at top inter county level coaching improvements are marginal because its already a high standard. You're damned by the players you have at your disposal and the skills they've acquired up to that stage. All you can do is refine them and no amount of refining of anyone's skills will beat the Cats at the moment unless kilkenny hit a really really bad day( and I mean bad)
Offaly on the other hand at football could be improved by 50% to get them to div 2 standard as they in the abyss at the moment. By having a good setup, gym programmes and an adequate place to train. They didn't have that. So they have no chance of ever been anything.
So by blaming the manager for poor gym programes and places to train and poor gear is the solution for Offaly, he's not the one to blame for that totally, their CB are.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 08:51:14 PM
Richie Connor has no track record GAA at county level. Check it out. Gerald does. Look its never going to be solved at this stage. Cork as a hurling force are finished unless there is a serious turnaround.
Past counts for nothing. It doesn't matter what Gerald did 20 years ago, it means nothing. If you do a job well 20 years ago doesn't mean you can do it now, nor does it mean that you should keep a job that you're doing poorly now just because you could do it well 10 odd years ago? Does it?

INDIANA

Look Reillers I could spend the rest of my life having this debate. I've made my points, you don't agree with any of them and that fine. But its a Cork debate. I'll leave you to it, happy in the knowledge I won't see any of this shite in Dublin.
The dispute is going nowhere and unless somebody gives you're heading for the abyss. Then Donal Og, Frank and Gerald can all sit down and ask themselves was it worth it? Because when you're playing in the Christy Ring and div 2 next year. All of them will answer no. And in 12 months time you'll agree it wasn't worth it. It won't be about apportioning blame. It will be Cork Gaa asking itself how it allowed itself to enter the shithouse of hurling. And more importantly asking itself will it ever see Croke Park again in September. then you'll know what its like to a weaker county at hurling. It might knock some of arrogance out of you.
Adios.

dowling

GAA you're missing something here. Richie and the Offely county board didn't agree with the the players and like Cork implied a few individuals were behind it. Richie stepped aside and made his point and the county board expressed their disappointment with the players. I doubt very much if the players would get away with the same next year.

orangeman

Cork young lads did the county proud on Saturday night - that's for certain. No Valentine's night massacre as was widely forecast.

sligeach

Jaysus such an amount of rubbish here.

Reading comments about Ger McCarthy here by some people you'd think he never seen a hurl in his life hes that bad.  ::)

Here are FACTS.

Ger McCarthy was one of the greatest players to ever don the Cork jersey.
Ger McCarthy is one of the best managers in the country, if he wasn't he wouldn't have gotten near the Waterford or Cork job. Is he the best ? No.

The people here slating him for been a "terrible" coach should be ashamed of themselves.

Another simple point is this. Regardless of how bad Ger is or how much the players don't want him to manage, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with them and it never should have anything to do with players.

That is plain and simple and as long as the players try and force their power into the decision making process they are finished. Nevermind CCB for a minute, the rest of the Country won't have players dictating to democratically elected officials in the GAA.

If the players somehow did win this and won the right to choose their manager (which is EXACTLY what they are looking for) then Cork should be banned from the organisation.

The GAA

Quote from: sligeach on February 16, 2009, 08:42:37 AM
Ger McCarthy was one of the greatest players to ever don the Cork jersey.

Totally irrelevent. Richie Connor was one of the greatest players to don an offaly jersey.

Ger McCarthy is one of the best managers in the country

Not according to his own players, who are a fair bit better positioned to know than you,

Another simple point is this. Regardless of how bad Ger is or how much the players don't want him to manage, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with them and it never should have anything to do with players.

Why have the county board got players on the selection committtee then?