McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Go on Reillers have you briefed your club chairman on your views and support for the 2008 panel to ensure your views are adaquately represented tonight? Its one thing being married to a keyboard on this issue, its another thing to be pro-active in getting your views across.

Reillers

Not like it made much difference.
And I've IC players, young IC players a my club and well, surprise surprise they weren't listened to either.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 09:56:44 AM
Bullshit, I'm sorry but that is bullshit. People like you who pretend to understand, like you say that this really hasn't anything to do with FM at all just proves that you no little about the workings of Cork GAA, yet you continue to go with the idea that you do, despite the fact that Frank Murphy is one of if not the most hated figure in Cork GAA and the very reason for 2002, 2007 and 2009.
You say you know and then come out with that, which says very little, and stop trying to undermine me just because you don't agree with me and because you think it will add more value to your argument. I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

Reillers it appears that only you have any knowledge when it comes to Cork GAA ::) I'm sorry but how many press releases have the players made now and still the points put forward are lightweight and petty. They might have the glory hunting bar stool supporter on their side but I would be surprised if the majority of Cork people involved in the GAA support them, I think how the voting has gone so far proves this point. Every Club and County in the country has it's problems yet every player puts the jersey and pride before any personal agenda. These players are our of touch and have no respect of the core values of the GAA ethos of pride, passion and giving it your all for the jersey. I have only ever played under one manager I liked and to be honest he was pretty poor yet all the medals I have won were under management teams who I wasn't fans of at the time.

dowling

Must be very frustrating for you reillers. What sort of arguments are you facing in your club? Would they mirror the arguments on the board?

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 10:39:40 AM
Not like it made much difference.
And I've IC players, young IC players a my club and well, surprise surprise they weren't listened to either.

Are these young inter county hurlers also on strike??? if so then of course they would be lobbying their clubs.

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 10:46:17 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 09:56:44 AM
Bullshit, I'm sorry but that is bullshit. People like you who pretend to understand, like you say that this really hasn't anything to do with FM at all just proves that you no little about the workings of Cork GAA, yet you continue to go with the idea that you do, despite the fact that Frank Murphy is one of if not the most hated figure in Cork GAA and the very reason for 2002, 2007 and 2009.
You say you know and then come out with that, which says very little, and stop trying to undermine me just because you don't agree with me and because you think it will add more value to your argument. I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

Reillers it appears that only you have any knowledge when it comes to Cork GAA ::) I'm sorry but how many press releases have the players made now and still the points put forward are lightweight and petty. They might have the glory hunting bar stool supporter on their side but I would be surprised if the majority of Cork people involved in the GAA support them, I think how the voting has gone so far proves this point. Every Club and County in the country has it's problems yet every player puts the jersey and pride before any personal agenda. These players are our of touch and have no respect of the core values of the GAA ethos of pride, passion and giving it your all for the jersey. I have only ever played under one manager I liked and to be honest he was pretty poor yet all the medals I have won were under management teams who I wasn't fans of at the time.
The players have gone to the press 9 times I think, Gerald almost 40 times.
I saw people at the march who were clubmen to the core who would rarely go to the city, and there was a hell lot of club gear around the place as well. But like Gerald unbelievably did yesterday, try to undermine us be degrading the march..sure there's always a couple thousand on an afternoon in Patricks Street anyway..ya Gerald, 9,000 of them just thought their was a sale on and followed the rest of them. How can you question what these players respect and don't. Clearly you only know facts here by reading and believing what the media spin you. But that's bull, they have given everything to the jersey and to their club and made massive sacrifice to do so.
You played under managers you didn't like, wow that's completley the same, the pressure most have been intense.
So I presume you were asked to give up most of your year and be expected to win an All Ireland at the end of it right, with the pressures of an entire county on you at the same time right?

You say every county has it's problems, name me ones that have or would do everything opposite to what the players want just inspite of them. Name me a county that has or would reappoint a man who the players made clear they didn't want and made clear what would happen if he was reappointed.
Name them.

INDIANA

From my own county

Dublin - Tommy Lyons 2004
         -  Mickey Whelan 1997/1998

Dublin hurlers- Humphrey Kelleher 2003.

The players wanted none of the above appointed and John Bailey was well aware of it. But we got rid of John as well.They got rid of them the following year. But it took 2 years for he dublin footballers to get rid of Lyons in particular. No-one in Dublin would have supported a players strike. I can absolutely guarantee it wouldn't be. They'd be told in no uncertain terms to get lost and never come back. Maybe thats our mentality up here and its diffrent elsewhere.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 10:55:10 AM

The players have gone to the press 9 times I think, Gerald almost 40 times.
I saw people at the march who were clubmen to the core who would rarely go to the city, and there was a hell lot of club gear around the place as well. But like Gerald unbelievably did yesterday, try to undermine us be degrading the march..sure there's always a couple thousand on an afternoon in Patricks Street anyway..ya Gerald, 9,000 of them just thought their was a sale on and followed the rest of them. How can you question what these players respect and don't. Clearly you only know facts here by reading and believing what the media spin you. But that's bull, they have given everything to the jersey and to their club and made massive sacrifice to do so.
You played under managers you didn't like, wow that's completley the same, the pressure most have been intense.
So I presume you were asked to give up most of your year and be expected to win an All Ireland at the end of it right, with the pressures of an entire county on you at the same time right?

You say every county has it's problems, name me ones that have or would do everything opposite to what the players want just inspite of them. Name me a county that has or would reappoint a man who the players made clear they didn't want and made clear what would happen if he was reappointed.
Name them.

I know the facts which the players have released to the media and that is where my opinion is formed from. Sorry how dare I say that playing under a manager I don't like is similar to the Cork players as quiet clearly nobody had ever had it as bad as these guys ::) ::) I'm not going to name names here but you do not know what goes on behind the scenes in every county ::)

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 10:59:08 AM
From my own county

Dublin - Tommy Lyons 2004
         -  Mickey Whelan 1997/1998

Dublin hurlers- Humphrey Kelleher 2003.

The players wanted none of the above appointed and John Bailey was well aware of it. But we got rid of John as well.They got rid of them the following year. But it took 2 years for he dublin footballers to get rid of Lyons in particular. No-one in Dublin would have supported a players strike. I can absolutely guarantee it wouldn't be. They'd be told in no uncertain terms to get lost and never come back. Maybe thats our mentality up here and its diffrent elsewhere.

Indiana, you've said you support the Offaly footballers because of the situation there, which seems to indicate you don't have a problem with players getting rid of their manager in certain circumstances which doesn't tally with your above statement. Anyway it is one thing to refuse to play for a manager who hasn't been given a chance but if you've had two years under him and the relationships aren't good then that manger shouldn't be reappointed.

INDIANA

If the players are being looked after in terms of setup,gear and expenses etc then they shouldn't be interfereing with county boards. At that stage they can make a democratic decision about whether they want to participate or not if they have differences with the manager. Thats where I draw the distinction between the two. The Offaly setip is like something of a bad junior B football team. I mean they are nothing short of having a magic sponge for a physio and having a glass of whiskey as half-time refreshment. I supported the hurlers in 2002 but in my view they've gone too far this time. If they want to secure the future of Cork hurling they should be trying to change the mentality at delegate and county board level because that is the only mechansim to ensure real change in Cork.
Organising strikes, going on marches and getting rid of managers is only putting a band aid over the problem that will resurface again. As I outlined above and they are all factual cases of players not wanting managers they aren't the first team to have a manager that the players detested.
the reason why a strike wouldn't be tolerated in Dublin is that the footballers are looked after like royalty and thankfully the hurlers now have a proper setup. But when the hurlers ensured Kelleher and Bailey were not options the following year they asked the club delegates to do it for them and they did. They didn't alienate anyone they went down the democratic processes that are put in place in any organisation.
Now I'm off to watch the hurlers play Galway. They mightn't be any good in Reillers eyes but if they give the same effort the Cork hurlers gave last night I'll be more than happy.

Zulu

The difference between the Offaly situation and the Cork one, as I see it, is that both the Offaly management and CB accepted the views of the Offaly squad and made the necessary changes. In Cork the CB had the opportunity to not reappoint Gerald but did so knowing that it would be bad for Cork hurling because the players would either strike or have to play within a dysfunctional set up. Why Gerald would want to coach a panel that doesn't want him is a mystery and raises questions as to what is motivating him.

INDIANA

Zulu its the same reasons why Tommy Lyons was re-appointed for Dublin. Dessie Farrell's book give a detailed account about how Bailey was well aware that the players didn't want Lyons again yet he was re-appointed. this is not exclusive to Cork as Reillers would have everyone believe. The Dublin players put up with it and got rid of them 12 montsh later. They had already had Lyons for 2 years. Whats the difference?
By the way Reillers dublin hammered galway 2-20 to 0-15 , not bad for a backwater hurling county eh!

Reillers

The hurlers have put back their meeting with the clubs for a week due to the passing of Gerald McCarthy's mother.

RIP.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

(Apparently, I swear if this one isn't true..)

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 03:24:09 PM
Zulu its the same reasons why Tommy Lyons was re-appointed for Dublin. Dessie Farrell's book give a detailed account about how Bailey was well aware that the players didn't want Lyons again yet he was re-appointed. this is not exclusive to Cork as Reillers would have everyone believe. The Dublin players put up with it and got rid of them 12 montsh later. They had already had Lyons for 2 years. Whats the difference?
By the way Reillers dublin hammered galway 2-20 to 0-15 , not bad for a backwater hurling county eh!

With no Canning's sure Galway are an average team without them. Lol.
No seriously though, fair play.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 03:24:09 PM

The difference is this is the second time in 2 years that the CCB have tried to put manners on the players and the players are sick of it, I simply don't see any problem with the players refusing to play for a CB that is trying to undermine them. If they were to try and go through the system they'd get nowhere and it would take too long, this strike isn't good for anyone but it's the CB that needs to be assessed, not the players.