McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:10:35 PM

I wonder do you consider wexford men paul codd and damien fitzhenry mercanaries and training & hurling for wexford entirely for financial reasons?

So was it Sean Og then ???

The GAA

I don't know - you're the man claiming it was.

noone's going to believe you til you prove it....

orangeman

Yes, logos. Logos on camans, a new marketing tool that has threatened to rip the GAA apart after Paddy Power, the bookmaker, paid three players Œ750 each to play with sticks adorning the PP logo.

What a fuss that has caused! The three players, Sean Og O hAilpin from Cork and Wexford's Damien Fitzhenry and Paul Codd, could be banned for Saturday's replay.

And GAA president Sean Kelly is so perplexed by the "breach of our sponsorship rules by these players," that he is also threatening to throw Paddy Power and all their guests out of the company's corporate box at Croke Park.

Kelly isn't the only one incensed by the cutest publicity stunt I have come across in years.

Dessie Farrell, that affable head man in the Gaelic Players Association, reckons the Paddy Power chain have exploited the players and I have to say, I agree.
The publicity this storm in a teacup has produced is worth a lot more than three times 750 euro.

Dessie didn't get a piece of the action then,  but he's made up for it since and if he gets his way down in Cork, he'll get an awful lot more.

More than the memberships of the Cork 2009 panel are worth I reckon !  ;)

Small change really.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:06:03 PM

I don't ccept that there has to b some GPA plot behind the communication.

surely you can accept that there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding the situaion and certainly this sets out their position.

Neither you nor i know the motivations for the letter. Claiming this represents a movement in the involvement of the GPA is a convenient inaccuracy

The Cork 2008 panel contact the membership of the GPA and this isn't "a movement in the involvement of the GPA"? What is it then?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:13:32 PM

I don't know - you're the man claiming it was.

noone's going to believe you til you prove it....

Don't let yourself down here - if I had said any body else they might not have believed it but Sean Og's name in this connection would not have raised an eyebrow. Isn't that right ?  ;)

And seeing as you're trying to provide a bit of cover, you're going to have to substantiate any claims you make yourself from now on !  ;) ;D

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:50:23 PM
Is this in the public domain? i never heard of it til now.

It is equally right to ask why they shouldn't write to other panels.
Looks like the dispute has run its course for this season and they're entitled to give other members the facts given the amount of spin and misinformation out there.
[/b]

They should have included a P & L account as well, when they were at it.

Dont buy Irish anymore - buy whatever Cork are promoting.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:06:03 PM

I don't ccept that there has to b some GPA plot behind the communication.

surely you can accept that there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding the situaion and certainly this sets out their position.

Neither you nor i know the motivations for the letter. Claiming this represents a movement in the involvement of the GPA is a convenient inaccuracy

The Cork 2008 panel contact the membership of the GPA and this isn't "a movement in the involvement of the GPA"? What is it then?

How is it an involvement by the GPA as an organisation?

one constituant part of the membership communicates with the rest, big deal?

did i miss the involvment of the GPA leadership, executive or spokesman? did you leave that out of your original post by mistake?

The GAA

Again, i really shouldn't but just for the sake of logic...

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:15:41 PM
Dessie didn't get a piece of the action then,  but he's made up for it since and if he gets his way down in Cork, he'll get an awful lot more.

Small change really.

How will the eventuality that Gerald McCarthy is removed as cork hurling manager enable dessie farrell to earn money?

do you mean dessie farrell as an individual or the GPA as an organisation?

dowling

Would you like to address that bit?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:19:04 PM
Don't let yourself down here - if I had said any body else they might not have believed it but Sean Og's name in this connection would not have raised an eyebrow. Isn't that right ?  ;)

And seeing as you're trying to provide a bit of cover, you're going to have to substantiate any claims you make yourself from now on !  ;) ;D

I knew absolutely that it was Sean og that was involved - anyone who follows hurling would - but you didn't.

Quote one claim i've made that i didn't stand over when required to do so. Don't judge others by your own rathole standards and take as long as you like....

NAG

GAA

Can you not see that the eventual sacking of GMcC will result in the victory of the players as a body and this will be seen as victory for the GPA (even though they are claiming no active invovlement) of which they are members over the establishment. That is why this is such an important arguement.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 03:25:53 PM

Would you like to address that bit?

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:22:04 PM
one constituant part of the membership communicates with the rest, big deal?

did i miss the involvment of the GPA leadership, executive or spokesman? did you leave that out of your original post by mistake?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:24:59 PM

Again, i really shouldn't but just for the sake of logic...

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:15:41 PM

Small change really.

How will the eventuality that Gerald McCarthy is removed as cork hurling manager enable dessie farrell to earn money?

do you mean dessie farrell as an individual or the GPA as an organisation?
[/b]

Both - the GPA want to become the equivalent of the PFA - You can't say that the GPA aren't involved in this dispute, whether directly or indirectly, whether covertly or overtly. Player power can reap rich rewards later on down the line. Club Energise could be at risk. Powerade might take over.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:19:04 PM

I knew absolutely that it was Sean og that was involved - anyone who follows hurling would - but you didn't.

Quote one claim i've made that i didn't stand over when required to do so. Don't judge others by your own rathole standards and take as long as you like....

You really are a smart lad ! That's very sensible indeed - you're surpassing yourself now in this one - stop whilst you're behind. I mention his name and you have to ask the question. Most people would have known it was Sean Og - he gets the lions share as you know. As I said I just hope he leaves a few crumbs for the rest - sure he can afford not to take anything on his wee trips up to help you lads out !!

The GAA

Quote from: NAG on February 12, 2009, 03:27:54 PM
GAA

Can you not see that the eventual sacking of GMcC will result in the victory of the players as a body and this will be seen as victory for the GPA (even though they are claiming no active invovlement) of which they are members over the establishment. That is why this is such an important arguement.

I don't accept that at all.

Its an individual argument within that county. Far from being a victory for players over the establishment it would be a victory or respect.

Why would any county board, with the best interests of their teams at heart, steadfastly ignore the strongly held feelings of the grouping of their members in the best possible position to gauge the suitabiity or otherwise of a particuar coach?

If the county board were required to refurbish parc ui rinn say, would they consult those within their membership with some experience and expertise or would frank and the boys tear on themselves?