McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Is this in the public domain? i never heard of it til now.

It is equally right to ask why they shouldn't write to other panels.
Looks like the dispute has run its course for this season and they're entitled to give other members the facts given the amount of spin and misinformation out there.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 02:44:04 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 12, 2009, 02:28:47 PM
I wonder how many full time GPO's in Cork weren't employed as a direct result of this - just so some of the 'amateur' players could stick an extension onto their house..

There are two sides to that issue Heffo.

The players as a group organised a sponsorship through c & c for their body with the Energise product - long bfore the lucozade or powerade deals came before county boards.

How could the GPA stand over their "backing" of the Energise product if their members are then extensively covered in papers and om tv using the rival products?

Cork or any other county board are entitled to negotiate whatever deals they want but they do not own the players. they cannot expect to force players to drink out of a particular bottle, particularly when they have knowingly agreed a deal that the players cannot participate in.

And who said it had nothing to do with money and all they want to do is play hurling ?? These statements about only wanting what is best for Cork hurling are quite hollow now.

There's more to this dispute than simply not wanting Gerald.

:D

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 02:49:01 PM
Sean Og and someone else went out on Croke Park a couple of years ago - it might have been against Waterford, not sure, with Paddy Power I think it was emblazoned on the bas of his hurl. Not sure how much he was getting for it.

Like the rest of the Cork squad, all they wanted was to play hurling just for the love of the game and obviously to win. Nothing else.

Who was it then. Was it Sean Og?

i think you're lying

NAG

But your missing the point GAA the CCB's deal was benefitting the squad as a whole anyway and the players deal was backroom deal only benefitting a few of the top players who we all saw in the ad campaign. My point is that the players should not have been allowed to wreck a lucrative deal for their own gain (not the gain of the county as whole which they are so bravely standing up for now) Im not saying that they are forced to do anything against their will but if they didnt want to go along with the deal that was going to provide the backing they are crying about then they should have been told thanks but no thanks.

orangeman

Quote from: NAG on February 12, 2009, 02:40:06 PM
Yes but the point is that they are only in the public eye because they are picked for Cork. If they play for Cork they should have to go along with any branding which the CCB finds appropriate to help with the running costs of the team or the county in general.

Therefore the CCB's deal with Powerade should have superceded the deal that the GPA an unoffical non recognised body.
[/b]

This is part of the problem in Cork - Donal Og - GPA - GAA - commercial interests - IMAGE RIGHTS - sponsorship deals - side deals - Powerade - Club Energise -

There's not enough room for Frank and Donal Og in Cok - one of them has to go.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:50:23 PM

Looks like the dispute has run its course for this season and they're entitled to give other members the facts given the amount of spin and misinformation out there.

Thursday, 12 February 2009 13:02
The 2008 Cork hurling squad have issued a letter through the GPA to players across the country to explain their reasons for their ongoing strike action.

The players penned the correspondence to counter what they claim are 'misleading' reports about their problems with the Cork County Board and current manager Gerald McCarthy.

Click here to read the statement in full
The letter, signed by goalkeeper Dónal Óg Cusack on behalf of the 2008 squad, criticises media claims that there has been any 'intimidation' of younger members of last year's squad to side with more established stars such as Óg Cusack and Seán Óg Ó h'Ailpín.

The letter states that all decisions have been reached through consensus, and that there will be no ill-feeling should any individual players decide to re-join the squad under McCarthy's stewardship.

The players are also keen to express that they have no desire to select their own manager, but insist they will not play under McCarthy, who they claim has 'personalised' the dispute.

The letter is deeply critical of the Cork County Board, and calls on club members on Leeside to 'take back control of the GAA in their county'.

This latest development is sure to deepen the crisis within the county as a third-string side prepare to face Tipperary in Allianz NHl Division 1 under lights at Semple Stadium on Saturday night

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: NAG on February 12, 2009, 02:40:06 PM
Yes but the point is that they are only in the public eye because they are picked for Cork. If they play for Cork they should have to go along with any branding which the CCB finds appropriate to help with the running costs of the team or the county in general.

Therefore the CCB's deal with Powerade should have superceded the deal that the GPA an unoffical non recognised body.
[/b]

This is part of the problem in Cork - Donal Og - GPA - GAA - commercial interests - IMAGE RIGHTS - sponsorship deals - side deals - Powerade - Club Energise -

I'm sorry, you're gonna have to tie that collection of soundbites into sentances. what exactly does all that mean?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:52:40 PM
Sean Og and someone else went out on Croke Park a couple of years ago - it might have been against Waterford, not sure, with Paddy Power I think it was emblazoned on the bas of his hurl. Not sure how much he was getting for it.

Like the rest of the Cork squad, all they wanted was to play hurling just for the love of the game and obviously to win. Nothing else.

i think you're lying

Seeing as he is the top earner own there with a lot to lose if this goes the wrong road for him, chances are that it was him alright. I hope he was sharing with the other lads.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 02:57:48 PM

i think you're lying

Seeing as he is the top earner own there with a lot to lose if this goes the wrong road for him, chances are that it was him alright. I hope he was sharing with the other lads.

So was it him then?

orangeman

There's not enough room for Frank and Donal Og in Cok - one of them has to go.

Self explanatory really.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:50:23 PM

I don't really get your drift GAA. I've acknowledged they can communicate with whoever they want. But there has to be a reason for it. In relation to this all the information in the statement is already in the public domain. There has to be a reason for the statement and the only logical explanation is that other GPA members may be called on for support.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:58:35 PM

i think you're lying

So was it him then?
[/b]

Yes - him and 2 others.

The GAA

I don't ccept that there has to b some GPA plot behind the communication.

surely you can accept that there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding the situaion and certainly this sets out their position.

Neither you nor i know the motivations for the letter. Claiming this represents a movement in the involvement of the GPA is a convenient inaccuracy

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:02:39 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 02:58:35 PM

i think you're lying

So was it him then?
[/b]

Yes - him and 2 others.

Really?

Given your track record for telling gigantic lies you better substantiate that

The GAA

I wonder do you consider wexford men paul codd and damien fitzhenry mercanaries and training & hurling for wexford entirely for financial reasons?