McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 11:44:39 AM
Do you want me to say that the CB only appointed Mc Carthy so that they could get back the players for going on 2 strikes and embarassing them, in the knowledge that Cork hurlers would be relegated from division 1 and go into the Christy Ring, bring shame to the whole of Cork GAA and the GAA in general, cause division and strife among families, clubs, GAA posters etc ????

That much I can't see. There's no way the CB wanted all of this. And the CB knew more than anybody what sort of lads they were dealing with - lads who had previously flexed their muscles on other occasions and won.

I don't want you to say anything, I want you to give your opinion and then justify it. I'm pro-player because I believe the CB started this by reappointing a man that couldn't be successful with this Cork squad, by doing that they have done a great dis-service to the GAA and when one of these men is a paid employee of the GAA then to my mind that is unforgivable and doesn't deserve the support od any GAA person. If any pro-CB poster can show me I'm wrong or that there could be a logical alternative for the 5 CB mans decision, I might change my mind.

orangeman

Not to digress - but who were the 5 on the sub committee ?

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on February 11, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

address these lies liar

Quote from: orangeman on February 09, 2009, 09:18:29 AM
GAA - You've got a history of abstentionism,

no i don't

GAA - come from a glorious a rich hurling tradition,

no i don't

GAA -  have met up with the strikers on a copule of occasions round the club ( which apparently has bestowed wonderous insight into the dispute - one side only of course )

never spoken to any of those lads about this dispute

GAA - so why don't you take a wee drive down there and solve it if you're that intelligent ?

Its only you who says that i am intelligent - all the time actually.
why do you keep insisting on other people driving down and sorting out the problem?

GAA - Or maybe you'd just prefer to drive up and down the road past the field just like the eejit you made you of yourself before and are semingly quite prepared to do again ???

what the hell are you talking about?

What you fail to realise is that the GAA in Cork and every other part of the country will continue

You'll have to point out where i even inferred that this would not be the case. making stuff up again? tut tut

just like it did when you and yours were going round talking to yourselves and kicking stones round the house when your club was playing.
But then again, what else can you say ? You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

now you really are making stuff up.

Is that a record for the most wrong assumptions and lies in the one post?

You really should stop posting about me, read about the issues this thread relates to (rather than copying & pasting) and postr about the actual subject matter. if you can.

Any chance you two can take it to pm?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 12:00:32 PM
Why don't you just answer his question first.

Zulu

Digressing is exactly what you are doing, you've posted more than anyone on this topic so how about justifying your position.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on February 11, 2009, 12:04:43 PM
Why don't you just answer his question first.

Well I'm still waiting for you to clarify whether you're admitting the 2008 panel are on strike - please clarify..

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2009, 11:39:04 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 11, 2009, 11:27:36 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2009, 10:23:09 AM
dowling give us a break, 'pissed off', 'shite', 'bullshit', we are all adults here I presume, if you as offended as you're letting on by those terms you mustn't get out much. They maybe mildly foul terms but they are far from abusive so just get over it and get on with it.

QuoteI'm sorry about what I said earlier - the GPA are involved in this strike - I thought they weren't but Dessie's timely intervention suggests otherwise.

Why not let the 2009 panel join ?

Nonsense, but not surprising, there are many lads posting here who would find something wrong with the GPA regardless of what they do or say. When I first heard about this i thought the Gpa were bang out of order but having seen the interview all Dessie said was that at this time they wouldn't because there are issues to resolve. Cork can't have two hurling squads as members of the GPA and even Gerald accepts there are two squads because after saying he was moving on without the 08 lads he about turned last night and said his door is still open to them. And if the 08 lads were to go back most of the current sqaud wouldn't wear a Cork jersey again, so it is perfectly sensible for Dessie to say what he said last night.

As regards last nights vote, if Cork clubs want to back the CB on this then fair enough, I think it is strange so many do, I think it is strange that 40 clubs abstained on such an important vote and I think last nights vote is further evidece of a flawed system in Cork. But as some lads point out that is teh system that's there and if Cork clubs don't have the balls or ability to run the GAA there properly then so be it.

However, as a GAA man I find it very sad and deeply regretable that GAA people on this site cannot see the wood from the trees. Not one of you has justified Geralds reappointment on any kind of logical ground. Therefore, like me you must believe that annoying the 08 squad was foremost in their (the CBs) thinking when reappointing him. That the men charged with the promotion of the GAA, one of them getting paid by us to do so, can act in a manner that ensures that 50-60 of the best hurlers and possibly 50-60 of the best footballers won't play for you then serious questions need asking

The logical ground is Zulu he was selected by the CB. Do you think anyone wanted Pat Gilroy in charge ? ( he was selected by 3 men, they didn't even ask the club delegates) The sub-management committee of 3 people selected to find a new manager didn't ask the delegates either. This isn't exclusive to Cork but people get on with things. If you think the current Dublin football squad were breaking out the champagne in November you're sadly mistaken. Jason Sherlock and Mickey Whelan weren't on speaking terms after 95-98 yet they've buried the hatchet. Why can't the Cork players?

Yes but Indiana, lets say the Pillar was up for reappointment and Sherlock and Whelan went to Harrington on behalf of the players and told him that Pillar wasn't up to  it and the players no longer got on with him would you think it would be logical to reappoint him? Especially when he hadn't produced the goods during his term.

QuoteZulu -

The CB and the delegates reckoned back in October that he was the man for the job - as recently as last night, they still say he's the man for the job. Mc Carthy says that he's not going to give in to player power and guess what - the delegates have backed him on this. The 2008 players have made allegations about Mc Carthy.

OM the players told the CB they couldn't work with Gerald and it was well known in Cork that relationships were strained over the two years, so I'll ask you once again, if you were a member of the 5 man CB delegation, would you have reappointed Gerald knowing the players didn't want him?

I accept that point of view Zulu just that I know the DCB wouldn't take it on board. They'd appoint who they want.
My problem with the thing Zulu is I don't think Mc Carthy is as bad a coach as some people think he is. They still got to an all-ireland semi final last year. They are a team on the wane and can't match the best side in history. I think the players haven't accepted any responsibility for the fact their performances  can't match kilkenny anymore. Its an awful kick in the nuts for some of the CORK players to go from being one of the best around to being in the shadows of a team on a completely different level to anything they were. I think thats more of a problem then they let on.
I know one of the Waterford players who trained under Mc Carthy and he said he professionalised their environment like no-one else. Gerald wants to do things differently than some of the players. Thats the crux of the issue. I don't think the current Cork team would have done any better under anyone else. Reillers and others will beg to differ and thats their opinion.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2009, 12:05:11 PM

Digressing is exactly what you are doing, you've posted more than anyone on this topic so how about justifying your position.

I'veoutlined my position - The CB wold not have appointed Mc Carthy in the knowlede that there would be another strike which would have delivered the shocking situation that we have now.

Surely everyone would accept this ?

witnof

New angle on this. The GPA has stated that they would not accept applications from any of the 2009 panel for membership, not that they have received any.

Charlie is an idiot, and should have left well alone becuase its not the GPA who decides who s an Inter-County player but the various CBs.

He should have left well enough alone.

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on February 11, 2009, 12:01:11 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 11, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

address these lies liar

no i don't

no i don't

GAA -  have met up with the strikers on a copule of occasions round the club ( which apparently has bestowed wonderous insight into the dispute - one side only of course )

GAA - so why don't you take a wee drive down there and solve it if you're that intelligent ?

why do you keep insisting on other people driving down and sorting out the problem?

GAA - Or maybe you'd just prefer to drive up and down the road past the field just like the eejit you made you of yourself before and are semingly quite prepared to do again ???

What you fail to realise is that the GAA in Cork and every other part of the country will continue

You'll have to point out where i even inferred that this would not be the case. making stuff up again? tut tut

just like it did when you and yours were going round talking to yourselves and kicking stones round the house when your club was playing.
But then again, what else can you say ? You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

You really should stop posting about me, read about the issues this thread relates to (rather than copying & pasting) and postr about the actual subject matter. if you can.

Any chance you two can take it to pm?

None. the liar posted lies about me on this public forum so he can redress them in kind

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 12:14:45 PM

I'veoutlined my position - The CB wold not have appointed Mc Carthy in the knowlede that there would be another strike which would have delivered the shocking situation that we have now.

who can accept anything from a liar?

address these lies liar

no i don't

no i don't

The GAA

Quote from: witnof on February 11, 2009, 12:15:26 PM
New angle on this. The GPA has stated that they would not accept applications from any of the 2009 panel for membership, not that they have received any.

Charlie is an idiot, and should have left well alone becuase its not the GPA who decides who s an Inter-County player but the various CBs.

He should have left well enough alone.

Is this a newsflash?

who is charlie?

Zulu

Indiana, in truth I don't know whether Gerald is a good coach or not, I do know the Waterford lads hold him in high regard, though they were coming from a very low base prior to him so that may not mean much. You and I are involved in coaching and like me I presume you'd consider yourself a decent enough coach, however irrespective of your drills or your tactics or your enthusiasim if you don't have a reasonable relationship with the players you won't succeed. And this is where Gerald falls down, regardless of his coaching abilities, he has lost the dressing room, IMO opinion it doesn't really matter whether it is Geralds fault or the players, the reality is if the coach/player connection is gone then it is time to part ways.

And as guardians of Cork GAA that should have settled the issue for the CB men, if the said ok Gerald is gone we suggest Justin McCarthy or Nickey English and they players said we won't play for them we want Ger Cunningham I'd be 100% behind the CB but they didn't they reappointed the one man that would guarantee failure for the Cork hurling squad.

Maybe you're right and the players aren't taking enough blame for the failures of the past but their performances against Clare and Galway wopuld suggest to me that in a happy camp Cork are still Kilkenny's most dangerous challengers. But at the end of the day the CBs role is to provide the best set up possible for their county teams and last OPCt. the CCB knowingly did the exact opposite for their hurlers.

Zulu

I'm asking would you, if you were part of the 5 man committee would you have reappointed Gerald? Oh and by the way the players told the CB they wouldn't play for Gerald so they did know that this would happen. So what would you have done and why?

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2009, 12:30:30 PM

I'm asking would you, if you were part of the 5 man committee would you have reappointed Gerald? Oh and by the way the players told the CB they wouldn't play for Gerald so they did know that this would happen. So what would you have done and why?

I'd have investigated the players' claims ( if they made any ) before making an appointment. I'd have spoken to otherrs in the backroom team etc - I'd have talked to Mc Carthy as well.