McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 09, 2009, 10:29:19 PM
Quote from: realrebel on February 09, 2009, 10:04:07 PM
att GAA
here is what gerry o sulllivan wrote in yesterdays programne

the pedigree of our own bainisteoir gerald mccarthy is legendary and has been well documented.He along with his backroom team has experienced a difficult start to 2009 but in typical fashion he has given everything to the job(on and off the field) and continues to fulfil the task for which he was mandated.
He and his management team deserve the full support of all gaelic games followers in this most renowned of gaelic games counties.We wish him every succuess in his efforts to ensure the continuation of corks place at the top of the hurling tree.
Best wishes also to the players who have the honour and privelege of wearing the cork jersey today.

where do you make out Gaa that he supports the players
you have some sources there boy, is it a child by any chance

Given that you seem to have difficulty reading my posts i will reiterate what i said...
very clearly i said that sully is a fine chairman and does not let his personal position interfere with the office. he cannot let personal opinions come into his appointed role and very clearly must speak for all of the county board when speking for the office of chairman.
its an example some club delegates should follow - they are not mandated to give personal opinions either, but rather express the will of thir membership.

Integrity is a fast diminishing quality in the GAA as is amply demonstrated in this thread through people;'s determination to soil the personal lives and charachter of the players who, rightly or wrongly, are standing up for what they believe to be right.

Humbliest apologies there GAA. Must have been the unusually long reply wrong-footed me there.
Of course you're right that he primarily is speaking on behalf of the county committee but surely he didn't have to say anything.
Oh and when are you going to stop the 'grow up', 'what age are you', 'bullshit', or whatever? As I've pointed out before it reflects badly on you.

The GAA

I'm happy to take that reflection when responding to banal, irrelevent or badly thought through posts.

INDIANA

I would predict in 12 months time even with all of SIPTU back that Cork will be like the Waterford hurling team that ejected Justin - over the hill and a pale shadow of previous years. But even then it will be all Gerald's fault. Or maybe Frank.

The GAA

In fairness to those waterford players, they got to their first all ireland final after they ousted justin.

i note on the offaly thread that you criticised connor heavily when justifying the way things went there and noted that it was very different from cork.
surely the genisis of both situations are the same? The players didn't rate the coach and thought they wouldn't have the bes possibility of succeeding under him.

the difference as i see it is that cork persevered with McCarthy and gave him time to improve whereas the offaly lads jumped immediately?

Zulu

Blow for McCarthy as Cork backroom member quits
By Michael Moynihan

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ideykfojau/

EMBATTLED Cork hurling manager Gerald McCarthy suffered another setback yesterday with the resignation of Martin Walsh, the team's logistics manager for the last two seasons.

Walsh said yesterday that McCarthy's ongoing criticism of the 2008 senior hurling panel was the reason he was stepping down. "I thought Gerald's interview on Saturday was very unfair," said Walsh.

"Anyone who ever worked with Donal Óg Cusack knows he'll listen to you. He wouldn't make you feel uncomfortable, no matter what you're saying. he'd do anything for you. He, Sean Óg and John Gardiner, as player reps, did everything they could to help Gerald over the last two seasons.

"The reason I'm stepping down now is that it's hard enough listening to things being said about the players, what they're getting out of the game and so on. Babs Keating's attack on Diarmuid and Paudie O'Sullivan last week - and on their father Jerry - was very unfair as well. Babs probably has a hidden agenda, maybe he's getting back at modern players.

"Donal Óg Cusack is an easy target for fellas to have a go at, an easy man to blame. As is Frank Murphy on the other side, in fairness. But to me Donal Óg is the ultimate professional - he, Sean Óg, Tom Kenny, they're lads who'll go to any lengths to get that extra one per cent out of themselves. To say Donal Óg doesn't want to be coached and so on - I know he'd row in 100% behind anyone who could improve things. That's the way he is - he's a great man for the organisation. So is Sean Óg."

Walsh credited facilitator Cathal O'Reilly with improving the atmosphere in the group last year, but agreed with the players who felt the quality of training had slipped.

"Cathal did fantastic work with the group - you could see them pulling together. He got them to gel and to build trust. But the one thing is that respect is a two-way street. You see what's being written about the players and you have to ask is there respect there? If there's no respect in the dressing-room, you have no business being there.

"Were things as bad as people say? Yes, they were. Jerry Wallace put in fierce work to keep things going last year, so did Brian Roche, but the players came from a background where Declan Kidney was watching them train, where people involved with Kilkenny would watch the sessions. The players are doing the training and if they feel that it's gone from up here to down there, then it must have gone back. People forget the work the two trainers, Jerry Wallace and Seanie McGrath, put in under Donal O'Grady and John Allen."

Walsh was involved with the 2009 team up to Sunday's defeat to Dublin at Páirc Ui Chaoimh but had also continued to work with the 2008 panel.

""I felt this would be resolved, and that it was my duty to help the (2008) lads and make sure they could come back to play for Cork.

"You talk about pride in the jersey. These players have the ultimate pride in the jersey.

"Part of my job was to collect jerseys after games, and not one of them would throw the jersey to you. They hand the jersey back.

"They wait to sign autographs, to stand for photographs - I was at training for them at quarter to five, they'd start arriving at quarter past five and the last man would leave at ten o'clock.

"They're superb men and they're being dragged through the dirt here, when all they want is to get back to where Kilkenny are, to win All-Irelands."

Walsh acknowledged the pressure on the new panel and on the county board.

"There are good men in the board - (chairman) Jerry O'Sullivan and (PRO) Ger Lane are friends of mine and they're good men.

"Jerry is a sound man, he has club men and sons involved and it's difficult for him.

"I got on well with Gerald as well, but he's being left out on a limb here.

"It's difficult for the 2009 players. There are grand guys there who could be developed, but they're getting tarred with this thing.

"I'm a players' man and I wouldn't knock them, they answered the call, but they'll probably be easy targets."

Walsh, chairman of Ballinacurra GAA club, refuted suggestions the players were motivated by personal gain.

"At least 10 Cork players have been down there to help us in Ballinacurra, and all it cost us was a lunch for Shane O'Neill and some crystal we gave Sean Óg after he presented trophies.

"All the talk about money for them is rubbish.

"How come nobody is talking about Donal Óg and Kevin Hartnett working for Alan Kerins in Zambia, or about the fact that they're getting 20 people to go out there again in October?"

Walsh sees more pressing problems for Cork GAA.

"If the board can leave their greatest asset, the players, on the outside, have another 30 footballers threatening to go - and maybe another 50 players who won't play - then something has to give.

"It's grand saying people are looking after underage teams and so on, but we're not promoting ourselves.

"I'm my club's East Cork Board delegate, and I see clubs amalgamating at minor, pushing for twelve-a-side at U21.

"We're holding our own but stronger clubs are coming back to our level.

"You'd wonder just how strong the GAA is in Cork.

"We should be pushing our inter-county hurlers and footballers, not knocking them.

"Rugby and soccer motor away at their own thing. Why can't we?"

The GAA

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on February 10, 2009, 10:55:34 AM

In fairness to those waterford players, they got to their first all ireland final after they ousted justin.

i note on the offaly thread that you criticised connor heavily when justifying the way things went there and noted that it was very different from cork.
surely the genisis of both situations are the same? The players didn't rate the coach and thought they wouldn't have the bes possibility of succeeding under him.

the difference as i see it is that cork persevered with McCarthy and gave him time to improve whereas the offaly lads jumped immediately?

Because I know the ins and outs of both. Thats why I make a distinction.

The GAA

As you are entitled to, but i'm wondering what the distinctions are?

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on February 10, 2009, 11:12:01 AM
By Michael Moynihan

EMBATTLED Cork hurling manager Gerald McCarthy suffered another setback yesterday with the resignation of Martin Walsh, the team's logistics manager for the last two seasons.

Walsh said yesterday that McCarthy's ongoing criticism of the 2008 senior hurling panel was the reason he was stepping down. "I thought Gerald's interview on Saturday was very unfair," said Walsh.

"Anyone who ever worked with Donal Óg Cusack knows he'll listen to you. He wouldn't make you feel uncomfortable, no matter what you're saying. he'd do anything for you. He, Sean Óg and John Gardiner, as player reps, did everything they could to help Gerald over the last two seasons.

"The reason I'm stepping down now is that it's hard enough listening to things being said about the players, what they're getting out of the game and so on. Babs Keating's attack on Diarmuid and Paudie O'Sullivan last week - and on their father Jerry - was very unfair as well. Babs probably has a hidden agenda, maybe he's getting back at modern players.

"Donal Óg Cusack is an easy target for fellas to have a go at, an easy man to blame. As is Frank Murphy on the other side, in fairness. But to me Donal Óg is the ultimate professional - he, Sean Óg, Tom Kenny, they're lads who'll go to any lengths to get that extra one per cent out of themselves. To say Donal Óg doesn't want to be coached and so on - I know he'd row in 100% behind anyone who could improve things. That's the way he is - he's a great man for the organisation. So is Sean Óg."

Walsh credited facilitator Cathal O'Reilly with improving the atmosphere in the group last year, but agreed with the players who felt the quality of training had slipped.

"Cathal did fantastic work with the group - you could see them pulling together. He got them to gel and to build trust. But the one thing is that respect is a two-way street. You see what's being written about the players and you have to ask is there respect there? If there's no respect in the dressing-room, you have no business being there.

"Were things as bad as people say? Yes, they were. Jerry Wallace put in fierce work to keep things going last year, so did Brian Roche, but the players came from a background where Declan Kidney was watching them train, where people involved with Kilkenny would watch the sessions. The players are doing the training and if they feel that it's gone from up here to down there, then it must have gone back. People forget the work the two trainers, Jerry Wallace and Seanie McGrath, put in under Donal O'Grady and John Allen."

Walsh was involved with the 2009 team up to Sunday's defeat to Dublin at Páirc Ui Chaoimh but had also continued to work with the 2008 panel.

""I felt this would be resolved, and that it was my duty to help the (2008) lads and make sure they could come back to play for Cork.

"You talk about pride in the jersey. These players have the ultimate pride in the jersey.

"Part of my job was to collect jerseys after games, and not one of them would throw the jersey to you. They hand the jersey back.

"They wait to sign autographs, to stand for photographs - I was at training for them at quarter to five, they'd start arriving at quarter past five and the last man would leave at ten o'clock.

"They're superb men and they're being dragged through the dirt here, when all they want is to get back to where Kilkenny are, to win All-Irelands."

"There are good men in the board - (chairman) Jerry O'Sullivan and (PRO) Ger Lane are friends of mine and they're good men.

"Jerry is a sound man, he has club men and sons involved and it's difficult for him.

"It's difficult for the 2009 players. There are grand guys there who could be developed, but they're getting tarred with this thing.

"I'm a players' man and I wouldn't knock them, they answered the call, but they'll probably be easy targets."

Walsh, chairman of Ballinacurra GAA club, refuted suggestions the players were motivated by personal gain.

"At least 10 Cork players have been down there to help us in Ballinacurra, and all it cost us was a lunch for Shane O'Neill and some crystal we gave Sean Óg after he presented trophies.

"How come nobody is talking about Donal Óg and Kevin Hartnett working for Alan Kerins in Zambia, or about the fact that they're getting 20 people to go out there again in October?"

"If the board can leave their greatest asset, the players, on the outside, have another 30 footballers threatening to go - and maybe another 50 players who won't play - then something has to give.

"It's grand saying people are looking after underage teams and so on, but we're not promoting ourselves.

"I'm my club's East Cork Board delegate, and I see clubs amalgamating at minor, pushing for twelve-a-side at U21.

"We should be pushing our inter-county hurlers and footballers, not knocking them.

At first when I read this earlier my immediate impression was that this wasn't good for Gerald. But when you read it a couple of times I have to wonder about Martin Walsh's overall motives. As someone who listened to most of the 'debate' between Gerald and Donal og on the radio I didn't hear anything untoward in anything Gerald had to say so why Martin came out with that is beyond me. Indeed Martin seems to have done what Donal og said the players didn't want to do and knifed him in public. When this article is digested it's quite clear that Martin's sympathies have always been with the 2008 panel and because of that he's been somewhat disengenuious to have been involved with the present panel at all.
To say Donal og is an easy target is questionable. Donal og is probably the main man on the 2008 panel and the main advocate of the present action which has brought Cork to where it is. As a group of thirty men he has attempted to bully Gerald McCarthy in this dispute as the players last year bullied Teddy Holland.
While Gerald McCarthy has questioned a hidden agenda in all this I haven't seen anywhere when he accused this as being a personal gain issue for the 2008 players.
Gerald McCarthy is out on a limb? I'd have to agree with that especially with people like Martin Walsh around him. Is Martin maybe keeping himself right in all this for the future? Maybe trying to make sure he picks the winning side? Rodents and sinking ships maybe come to mind. Perhaps Frank Murphy is the only man in Cork prepared to be straight.
And a dig at Babs Keating? Why not Eddie Keher as well.

The GAA

That is an astounding list of conclusions to have drawn from that interview. astounding.

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Zulu on February 10, 2009, 11:12:01 AM
By Michael Moynihan

That is a comprehensive and damaging dissection of the situation from within Gerald's camp

orangeman

You can't ride two horses - Walsh is trying to keep everybody happy and wants to be friends with everybody which is grand if it works out.

It seems he's saying that the 2008 panel are great guys, so too the 2009 panel, so too Gerald, so too Frank, so too the County board.

Something has to give.

The strikers are not for moving. Looks like Gerald has little option other than to consider his future.

The GAA

Quote from: The GAA on February 09, 2009, 09:29:13 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 09, 2009, 09:18:29 AM
GAA - You've got a history of abstentionism,

no i don't

GAA - come from a glorious a rich hurling tradition,

no i don't

GAA -  have met up with the strikers on a copule of occasions round the club ( which apparently has bestowed wonderous insight into the dispute - one side only of course )

never spoken to any of those lads about this dispute

GAA - so why don't you take a wee drive down there and solve it if you're that intelligent ?

Its only you who says that i am intelligent - all the time actually.
why do you keep insisting on other people driving down and sorting out the problem?

GAA - Or maybe you'd just prefer to drive up and down the road past the field just like the eejit you made you of yourself before and are semingly quite prepared to do again ???

what the hell are you talking about?

What you fail to realise is that the GAA in Cork and every other part of the country will continue

You'll have to point out where i even inferred that this would not be the case. making stuff up again? tut tut

just like it did when you and yours were going round talking to yourselves and kicking stones round the house when your club was playing.
But then again, what else can you say ? You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

now you really are making stuff up.

Is that a record for the most wrong assumptions and lies in the one post?

You really should stop posting about me, read about the issues this thread relates to (rather than copying & pasting) and postr about the actual subject matter. if you can.

Ahem

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 10, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

That is an astounding list of conclusions to have drawn from that interview. astounding.

Do you think so GAA?
Heard of any diparaging remarks Gerald made on the radio?
Would your assumption be Martin's sympathies weren't always with the players?
Has Martin Walsh not knifed Gerald McCarthy in public?
Is this action and the words of Martin Walsh not putting Gerald out on a limb or more so depending on how you look at it?
Is there not the possibilty that Martin Walsh fears for future involvement with the county side?
Why not criticise Eddie Keher?
And why no harsh words for Frank Murphy in particular and the county board in general? How come?

orangeman

Quote from: dowling on February 10, 2009, 04:15:54 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 10, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

Do you think so GAA?
Heard of any diparaging remarks Gerald made on the radio?
Would your assumption be Martin's sympathies weren't always with the players?
Has Martin Walsh not knifed Gerald McCarthy in public?
Is this action and the words of Martin Walsh not putting Gerald out on a limb or more so depending on how you look at it?
Is there not the possibilty that Martin Walsh fears for future involvement with the county side?
Why not criticise Eddie Keher?
And why no harsh words for Frank Murphy in particular and the county board in general? How come?

Like the strikers, he's looking after himself.