McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Well it's actually Reillers who has been saying the dispute is now with McCarthy and not FM.

So basically what you're saying is they want a moral victory over Murphy? What good will that do? It does all appear that McCarthy is a pawn in the whole thing - and I don't understand why he's letting himself be put in that position.

If they're going to go for it go for it properly. While that may be perceived as a naive view but what is the point otherwise?

P.S. I don't think for one second the 2008 team would beat KK and they hardly will now.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2009, 08:18:25 PM
Well it's actually Reillers who has been saying the dispute is now with McCarthy and not FM.

So basically what you're saying is they want a moral victory over Murphy? What good will that do? It does all appear that McCarthy is a pawn in the whole thing - and I don't understand why he's letting himself be put in that position.

If they're going to go for it go for it properly. While that may be perceived as a naive view but what is the point otherwise?

P.S. I don't think for one second the 2008 team would beat KK and they hardly will now.

I said the arguement that the players were fighting was based on the fact that McCarthy was reappointed badly, their arguement, whether they want it or not is irrelevant, wasn't looking directly for FM to resign. I didn't say it wasn't about FM, it's all about FM, but this arguement  was based on how McCarthy was reappointed, not on wanting FM to resign. That's all I was saying.

McCarthy is a pawn and it would be a morale victory of sorts if they won this, I've said it before that they, we, can't afford them to loose this fight because they would loose all ground, they are the only ones willing to do anything, to stand up against the CB, it would be disasterous because then the CB would in a way win.

Zulu

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on February 04, 2009, 07:59:36 PM
Firstly do you really expect a division one side will get beaten by a division 4 side? Secondly the league might act as the basis but could also be combined with what round in the Championship the team was knocked out in the previous year. I'd love a hurling Championship with no Cork, Kilkenny, Tipperary or Galway in the semi-finals. As it stands the set-up is strangling the game and it will continue to narrow if something is not changed soon.

Any competition that is set up to make it difficult for the best teams and easier for the weakest teams to make the latter stages of a championship is complete nonsense. I would like to see new counties emerge also but I'd hate to see hurling semi finals involving Wicklow, Mayo, Cavan and Leitrim as long as those teams remain as weak as they are. I want to see the best teams win the championship and I don't want to watch a championship where the best teams are handicapped just to see new teams who haven't earned their way to the latter part of the championship get there. Winning Sam or Liam should always about the best team doing so not about giving us all a chance to feel like winners, my own county haven't won a football or hurling AI in 40 odd years and if we do win one I want it to be earned not handed to us.

Eoghan Mag

The solid structure of a club or county goes a long way towards giving players a chance to even play the game. When I was 13 years old I was asked to play football for a certain club by the chairman of a club. I'm in a town where the boundary divisions are blurred and until then had only played at underage level in small tournaments ran by another club but had not registered as a player. At the time the chairman who asked me was engaged in a dispute within that club and I was warned not to join because if I did so and I let slip who had invited me to enlist then I would be black-listed by the chairman's opponents. I took this advice and never did play football for that club but it was a full 20 years later before this dispute was eventually settled. The man who invited me ironically is still part of that club's set-up and I never bothered with football after that warning. This is the danger that lies over the current impasse in Cork hurling. Players will be cast aside and turn away from the game while infighting goes on within the board that does not aid anyone on the field of play.  

Eoghan Mag

Zulu whoever wins an All-Ireland has to earn it regardless of who they are. It will never be handed to them on a plate. As it stands certain counties are handicapped by the current system but the likes of Cork and Kilkenny are allowed to trot past mere 1/4 finals. This is not a level playing field. If a lower side beats Cork or Kilkenny then they will not have done so by playing weak or poor quality hurling.

Zulu

Eoghan Cork or Kilkenny don't trot to QF's Cork have to come out of Munster to get to that stage and therefore will beat two if not three of the top 7 or 8 sides in the country to do so. Kilkenny can't be blamed for the relative weakness of Leinster over the past few years, there is plenty that is wrong with the present system. But until the provincial system is scrapped then that will always be the case, however whatever system is used you cannot have a system that gives weaker teams a greater chance of winning, I don't want to see Kilkenny win the next few AI's but if they are the best team in the country for the next 10 years and win the next 10 AI's then so be it.

Do you think Nadal and Federer should start a set down against everyone else or that Tiger should start each tournament 3 shots down? Let the weaker teams improve and win the AI on merit, if they are good enough to beat the best then let them compete on an equal footing.

theskull1

I would love youse to consider what the GAA would be like if every senior GAA team had the same attitude and militant leaning as the striking players. Jesus lads anarchy would reign.

The GAA is full of committees, coaches and players that could be and should be doing a better job but in an amatuer orginisation those failing will always exist because there isn't a long queue of replacements. That reality has to be accepted in an amatuer orginisation.  We want high standards but there is no gaurentee that our expectations will be met but we have to do our best to work with like minded people and do what we can, keep at it rather than taking the hump and walking away. This "we're in it for the winning and if we're not winning then we're not interested" is such a terrible attitude to have. Of course striving to win is vitsally important but not at all costs. There are more important values which need to be mainatined. Yes Kilkenny have it sorted at the minute as do Tyrone as I'm sure do many other counties, but there are many who struggle along for one reason or another, but it still seen as a honour to represent your county as it is to administrate in it.  But KK and Tyrone get there by being at each others throats for years beforehand. Obviously the 2002 dispute has left it's mark in the psyche of the protaganists of the time and as a result relationships have been soured permanently for all involved. Only when they each move on will peace reign in Cork again and people can get back to respecting what each other is doing to at least try and make it work.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

QuoteThe GAA is full of committees, coaches and players that could be and should be doing a better job but in an amatuer orginisation those failing will always exist because there isn't a long queue of replacements.

The difference here skull is the CCB deliberately and knowingly acted in a way that was detrimental to Cork GAA. We all know players, coaches and administrators that don't meet the highest standards and we accept that, but just as we expect more from IC players than club ones we also expect more from IC coaches than club ones and we should expect more from IC administrators than we would club ones. We should definitely expect more from paid officials and regardless of position (player, coach or administrator) or level (club or county) as long as they are doing their best for the GAA then as frustrating as their performance may sometimes be, I have no problem. The difference here is that the CCB reappointed a man they knew couldn't be successful and would cause the problems we see now, they did this not out of stupidity but out of malice.

muppet

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhsnqlgbidid/

Efforts by the GAA to find a solution to the crisis in Cork hurling have been unsuccessful, it was announced tonight.

The row centres around the 2008 senior player panel's refusal to play for manager Gerald McCarthy.

A resolution to the matter now seems ever more unlikely, given the apparent failure of an attempted intervention by the GAA Central Council in the controversy.

A statement from the GAA issued tonight read: "The GAA has confirmed that, over recent days, Croke Park has been in contact with the various parties involved in the Cork hurling impasse in an effort to establish if the Association nationally could be of assistance in moving the matter forward."

"Having listened carefully to their respective views on the matter, Croke Park acknowledges that all parties recognise that the current situation is not in the best interests of Cork hurling and have a shared desire to see the matter resolved.

"However, having reflected on their stated positions, Croke Park is regretfully of the view that there is no apparent meaningful role for Central Council at this time."
MWWSI 2017

theskull1

To Zulu
Quote from: theskull1 on February 04, 2009, 08:55:04 PM
Obviously the 2002 dispute has left it's mark in the psyche of the protaganists of the time and as a result relationships have been soured permanently for all involved. Only when they each move on will peace reign in Cork again and people can get back to respecting what each other is doing to at least try and make it work.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Eoghan what you're saying, though understandable I'm sure, is a bit of a joke.
What you are saying is that the strong teams with good players should suffer because of weak teams being weak.

First of all..no one trots to the final, 99.9% of the time the team that wins it, or atleast is in the final are the team that have earned it.
The Munster teams most first get out of Munster where there are arguabley 5 top teams, then those who don't get to the final, have to go and play in the League and probably meet another one/two top sides.
And then get to the quarter final. Game after game. No break. Cork ended up playing 3 games in 3 weeks and then KK.

Now KK in my view are handed it because they automatically get into the semi final every season, they've piss teams in Leinster where they get just sit back and basically do feck all, their famous physical training sessions are as tough as it gets for them, and then at the most, depending on who they come up against, they've to play 2 difficult games to win the AI. (Now I'm not saying that they wouldn't win the AI if it wasn't like this, they are the best team around, but they have it so easy.)
That's being handed it. And even then it's not their fault that Leinster is so shite. But it is, they still though are the
Saying Munster teams trot to the final is bullshit. And Galway (till now) had one chance and one chance only.
If a lower side beats Cork of KK, ya it means they played well, it could also mean that the other teams had an off day.

If the likes of Kerry, Tyrone, Cork..etc aren't in the football then the level of football is lower.
Same way if Cork, KK, Tipp..etc aren't in the hurling then there is a lower level.

The best team 90% of the time wins a game. Should that be a lower league game or the AI final.

But to say that the top teams shouldn't be given another chance but for the weak teams to be, it's a joke.

Eoghan Mag

Zulu can you not even see how unfair the current system is? A 'big' county can get the chance to beat a 'little' county twice. I believe my system is fairer than the current shambles. I'd like to see it given a chance at least, but as far as I can see the elite would hate to upset their current applecart of red shiny oranges!  ;)

Reillers

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2009, 09:11:36 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhsnqlgbidid/

Efforts by the GAA to find a solution to the crisis in Cork hurling have been unsuccessful, it was announced tonight.

The row centres around the 2008 senior player panel's refusal to play for manager Gerald McCarthy.

A resolution to the matter now seems ever more unlikely, given the apparent failure of an attempted intervention by the GAA Central Council in the controversy.

A statement from the GAA issued tonight read: "The GAA has confirmed that, over recent days, Croke Park has been in contact with the various parties involved in the Cork hurling impasse in an effort to establish if the Association nationally could be of assistance in moving the matter forward."

"Having listened carefully to their respective views on the matter, Croke Park acknowledges that all parties recognise that the current situation is not in the best interests of Cork hurling and have a shared desire to see the matter resolved.

"However, having reflected on their stated positions, Croke Park is regretfully of the view that there is no apparent meaningful role for Central Council at this time."

Well at least the GAA can pretend like they tried..there's leadership for ya.

Eoghan Mag

So Reillers you support the fact that once a division 4 team lost in the football Championship last year they had no right to play a second game?

Reillers

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on February 04, 2009, 09:23:57 PM
So Reillers you support the fact that once a division 4 team lost in the football Championship last year they had no right to play a second game?

No I think it should be fair. But the big teams shouldn't suffer because of it. The big teams are good for a reason.
The GAA isn't fair, it never has been. The set up is a disgrace, CB's are a joke, players till recently had zero respect, they could be pissed on night and day, the GAA had no respect and clearly in some parts (ie Cork) still don't.
The GAA system is flawed as the day is long. It's bullshit. The system is old, it's ancient and has massive flaws that the GAA continue to refuse to look in the eye and give recognition to.
Hell support them or not, the GPA seem to be the only ones doing work with weak counties.

All I'm saying is that no one should suffer because of the other.