McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Rebel strikers reach out to clubs in search of support

on 30/01/2009 08:21:15

Clubs in Cork will shortly receive a direct invitation from the 2008 hurling squad to attend a briefing with them late next week.

The players are finalising a letter extending the offer to brief club chairmen and answer any specific questions they might have about the ongoing impasse that continues to see them on the sidelines as Gerald McCarthy prepares a new team for next week's NHL opener against Dublin.

The players made their intentions about the meeting known at Monday night's press conference in Cork.

Setback

But their plans to persuade the clubs in Cork of the power of their argument and for the clubs to take a major part in what happens next received a setback at Tuesday night's County Board meeting when a Cloyne motion calling for clubs to be given prior notice of all important upcoming votes was heavily defeated. The motion also asked the Board to defer any potential vote on the current management impasse until clubs have had a proper opportunity to discuss the matter.

The players are understood not to be too concerned about the reversal of the Cloyne motion as they believe a sufficient amount of clubs have not fully taken soundings on the opinions of their members.

The aim of next week's meeting is to properly state their case to the clubs and the players hope that support for them will increase at the next County Board meeting in February when, in all probability, a motion of no confidence in McCarthy will be proposed.

The logistics involved in contacting the clubs involved are huge. There are hundreds of clubs in the county, but only senior and intermediate hurling clubs have County Board voting rights. Junior clubs are represented by divisions such as Avondhu, Imokilly, Carbery, Duhallow, Muskerry, Shandun, Beara and Carrigdhoun.

Local colleges and other GAA units such as handball can also vote.

By that stage, McCarthy's new-look Cork team will have played two league games. The players have promised to disband as a group if the clubs decide, at any future vote, to back McCarthy.

In their statement on Monday night, they said they won't hold it against any player who returns, but seemed confident that the strike would hold as long as the same management remained in place. On the basis of Tuesday's vote, it is difficult to see an immediate change in thinking by the clubs, even if a local radio poll came out heavily in favour of the players.

Bud Wiser

QuoteIs that an apology so Bud? So you want me to delete a post where you viciuously attacked me without checking your facts again without a please thank your or sorry because it makes you look like a plank?..Good luck. 

Reillers, where did I viciously attack you?  Where?  The post did not make me look like a plank because I was repeating what I had read in a paper.  It was the paper that made the mistake, but judging by the amount of spoof they are being fed is that surprising.  The other reason I deleted the post was that it is common among us gaels on this board on a regular basis to register our sympathy regarding different tragedies that have occurred, this we do and then leave it at that, the idea that you would try and turn this particular issue into an argument and call me a plank to ensure the argument is kept going shows just what type you are.

I am sure when you talked to them young lads you referred to a few posts back, and who told you that they got no phone calls, that you gave them some sound advice and encouragement to play for Cork.   You, strangly enough, are right about one thing, Gerald McCarthy was a good hurler and unlike the half backs you have today I would say in his time he would make a better job of trying to keep up with Eddie Brennan.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 30, 2009, 06:10:47 PM
QuoteIs that an apology so Bud? So you want me to delete a post where you viciuously attacked me without checking your facts again without a please thank your or sorry because it makes you look like a plank?..Good luck. 

Reillers, where did I viciously attack you?  Where?  The post did not make me look like a plank because I was repeating what I had read in a paper.  It was the paper that made the mistake, but judging by the amount of spoof they are being fed is that surprising.  The other reason I deleted the post was that it is common among us gaels on this board on a regular basis to register our sympathy regarding different tragedies that have occurred, this we do and then leave it at that, the idea that you would try and turn this particular issue into an argument and call me a plank to ensure the argument is kept going shows just what type you are.

I am sure when you talked to them young lads you referred to a few posts back, and who told you that they got no phone calls, that you gave them some sound advice and encouragement to play for Cork.   You, strangly enough, are right about one thing, Gerald McCarthy was a good hurler and unlike the half backs you have today I would say in his time he would make a better job of trying to keep up with Eddie Brennan.
Viciously attacked..no that probably was a bit strong, sorry about that, but ripped in without taking a breath to double check your facts, instead of ripping in about me and my like and about having no respect.

As for the rest of your post..Is that an apology as well. I deleted the post, post still, is this an apology?
You should have looked again. Most do when your about to rip into someone. Registering our sympathy, don't lecture me on that, I was the first one to, but I deleted it about 5 mins later when I checked again and realised it wasn't true. I said it made you look like a plank because you didn't even apologise you lectured me about having no respect and such without even taking a breath and here we are 5 plus pages latter and you haven't said a word about it..that shows me what type you are.

QuoteI am sure when you talked to them young lads you referred to a few posts back, and who told you that they got no phone calls, that you gave them some sound advice and encouragement to play for Cork.
Excuse me, now you're accusing me of influensing young lads who I want to see play. You know nothing about me or what circumstances I talked to them in, but you think so little of the players that you don't believe what I said could be true. Everyone's liars but Gerald and pro Gerald people. You ripped my head off about having no respect when you don't have an ounce of it for the players. Hypocrisy at it's highest.
He was a good player, but a mistake that has been made by so many (especially pro Gerald people) but that's entirely irrelevant and has nothing to do with the situation we are in now.

Reillers

Dowling-
I've been trying to think of things that I could put down about the Cb and FM, trying to sum it up and such,
but looking on Rebel GAA....
One of the posters, St Francis, was saying how the CB have "done lots for Cork hurling." So he put up this post.

Quote1. they have refused to develop underage hurling therefore saving money

2. they have deliberately antagonised a full senior panel , ensuring a 4th team is played in championship and hammered. saving money

3. they have helped look after retired kerry footballers

4. they have steadfastly refused to build on the huge support for cork hurling by establishing a supporters club or merchandising, thereby risking nothing and not losing money.

5. they have allowed 1 man dominate proceedings for 35years ensuring 'corporate knowledge' and saving money

6. they have developed the smallest seats in the norhtern hemisphere for a sporting ground , thereby saving money

7. they have turned the greatest gaa and sporting county in ireland into a laughing stock with arrogance and self entitlement

8. they have employed the bare minimum of development officer s, thereby saving money and administration in runnning those pesky coaching sessions

9. they have defiantly refused to refurbish in any meaningful way the counties flagship stadium, therby saving money

10. they have successfully turned off a generation of potential players and their parents by their intransience and stupidity and handling of current affairs. im not talking about gaa parents, but people who just want their child to play sports.

11. they have split clubs/teams and hurling communities throughout the county.

..The ccb have done loads for cork hurling in the last 15years but it would be hard to see what they have done for the good of cork hurling in the last 15years. but sure in the ccb world that is immaterial as long as these players are gone and we can go back to the days of mushrooms, comely maidens, jumpers for goalposts etc etc.

That isn't all of it by any stretch of the imagination but it saved me some time. Lol.

orangeman

I like the one about helping retired Kerry footballers !!! Bitter or what ??  :D

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 30, 2009, 08:21:29 PM
I like the one about helping retired Kerry footballers !!! Bitter or what ??  :D

It's called rivalry, most GAA people have heard of it.  ;) ;)

Tatler Jack

1.   they have refused to develop underage hurling therefore saving money

No evidence of the CB refusing to develop under age hurling. This is typical of the guff you hear in Reillersland – generalisations without facts. Surely St Francis can produce some evidence

2. they have deliberately antagonised a full senior panel , ensuring a 4th team is played in championship and hammered. saving money

Pretty juvenile stuff – conveniently simplistic to suit the martyrs in Reilersland

3. they have helped look after retired kerry footballers

Well nice to know they are doing something right!!

4. they have steadfastly refused to build on the huge support for cork hurling by establishing a supporters club or merchandising, thereby risking nothing and not losing money.

And who has stopped supporters from forming their own club as in a lot of other counties, I am beginning to think that Cork people are a pretty feeble lot!!

5. they have allowed 1 man dominate proceedings for 35years ensuring 'corporate knowledge' and saving money

The saving money theme is strong with St Francis, Maybe we should put the CB in charge of sorting out the public finances!!   

6. they have developed the smallest seats in the norhtern hemisphere for a sporting ground , thereby saving money

Maybe Cork people have big arses as well as big egos!! More saving money – they should have been runnng the country for the past 10 years

7. they have turned the greatest gaa and sporting county in ireland into a laughing stock with arrogance and self entitlement

Well surely they would need a level of arrogance to match that of the noble inhabitants of Reillersland who seem to believe that Cork is "the greatest gaa and sporting county in Ireland"  

8. they have employed the bare minimum of development officer s, thereby saving money and administration in runnning those pesky coaching sessions

Maybe if the players did not get their snouts so deep in the trough there might be more money for coaches. What about the Coca Cola sponsorship that was lost. For all that  I got on coaching courses whenever I wanted one – how many have you been on Reillers?

9. they have defiantly refused to refurbish in any meaningful way the counties flagship stadium, therby saving money

More pub guff. The fact is that there are various opinions on the future development of Páirc Uí Caoimh- some believe that there should be a move to a new location. There is also the question of viability – the Páirc is hardly full very often.

10. they have successfully turned off a generation of potential players and their parents by their intransience and stupidity and handling of current affairs. im not talking about gaa parents, but people who just want their child to play sports.

Blather – kids get involve with their local clubs not the CB

11. they have split clubs/teams and hurling communities throughout the county.

So people have different opinions on an issue and the CB are to blame. The same rationale could be applied to the players

This is really laughable stuff and if this is the best that people can come up with against Frank and the CB then I think they will escape hanging!!   ::)

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 30, 2009, 06:57:55 PM

Viciously attacked..no that probably was a bit strong, sorry about that, but ripped in without taking a breath to double check your facts, instead of ripping in about me and my like and about having no respect.

As for the rest of your post..Is that an apology as well. I deleted the post, post still, is this an apology?
You should have looked again. Most do when your about to rip into someone. Registering our sympathy, don't lecture me on that, I was the first one to, but I deleted it about 5 mins later when I checked again and realised it wasn't true. I said it made you look like a plank because you didn't even apologise you lectured me about having no respect and such without even taking a breath and here we are 5 plus pages latter and you haven't said a word about it..that shows me what type you are.

QuoteI am sure when you talked to them young lads you referred to a few posts back, and who told you that they got no phone calls, that you gave them some sound advice and encouragement to play for Cork.

He was a good player

Is this the same fella who five senior AI's and was named on the Cork hurling team of the Century?

How do you rate Christy Ring? Average?

stephenite

Quote from: passedit on January 30, 2009, 01:31:27 PM
Quote from: stephenite on January 30, 2009, 12:43:09 PM
Actually not fair enough - who has claimed the hurlers have lost them? And even if there are some who have, what does that matter, the general public don't get to say what happens. Members of the GAA get to say what happens.

I couldn't give a f**k if 90,000 people march in favour of the former players, if 51% of them happen to be GAA members then they have the power to sort it all out.
That's just bollox stephenite, there is only one man who has the power in Cork GAA and the reason he has it is because he has had over 35 years to consolidate it. People bleating about democratic process need to take their heads out of their holes. Cork GAA is a dictatorship that won't be changed by 'democratic means'.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Passedit - The point was made to illustrate the fact that Cork GAA members will be the only to have a say on this and not the general public, which is the sneaky wording of the players to ensure they wouldn't have to disband.

But now that you've bought it up,
So if over half the delegates at a County Board meeting stood up and decided Frank had to go it wouldn't help the situation?

What are the penalties for those that rail against the dictator - death? Sent to Ringaskiddy? A bit of perspective.

It seems very handy for everyone to bleat about FM but they've had years to sort it out - I struggle with the concept that Cork GAA people allow themselves to be ruled on the whim of this man, it's not in the nature of Cork people to allow this - they're a shower of know it all control freaks at the best of times. I'd have no problem with a heave against FM if it'll sort it out.

This is front and centre now for the club delegates(not that it hasn't been practically every year since 2002), if FM is the real problem surely the players can organise a majority within the County Board to vote against him?  And if they don't then I can only draw the rational conclusion that membership of the GAA in Cork are not in agreement with the players and they can disband and let others get back to the business of playing Gaelic Games.

Canalman

Mark my words, Cork GAA will miss Frank Murphy when he retires. A big county like Cork needs a decision maker like FM and from what the Cork lads in the club say he is quite fair in dealing with club problems in the County and his rulings are pretty much treated as gospel.
I find it very distasteful that the "Senior Panel" have character assassinated 2 Cork GAA individuals who imo have served their County admirably.

orangeman

When Cork were going for the 3 in a row in 2005, was Frank doing everything to please the hurlers ? After they lost the 2005 final, did he then decide that Cork were nearly going too well and decided to give KK a bit of a chance by sytematically bringing Cork to its knees ??

If he did, he really is an evil little man !!!

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 30, 2009, 10:11:31 PM

He was a good player

Is this the same fella who five senior AI's and was named on the Cork hurling team of the Century?

So now you're giving out to me about my choiice of words. He was an excellent player, excellent, good, fantastic, super, unreal..etc.

Ring was the greatest player to ever play this game.

Stop trying to stirr shit now like. Gerald was a very good player, one of the best the county has seen. None of wihch (like I said was the mistake people were making) is rellevant to this situation.

Canalman

What's this about a protest?? Ffs will have to endure that guy with the sombrero on the 9 o clock news....yet again. I get the impression that the Cork public have more on their plates at the moment.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 30, 2009, 10:54:02 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 30, 2009, 10:11:31 PM

He was a good player

So now you're giving out to me about my choiice of worse. He was an excellent player, excellent, good, fantastic, super, unreal..etc.

Ring was the greatest player to ever play this game.

Stop trying to stirr shit now like. Gerald was a very good player, one of the best the county has seen. None of wihch (like I said was the mistake people were making) is rellevant to this situation.

Relax there Reillers - I think the whole thing is starting to upset you a little - I didn't give out about your choice of 'worse' at all.

I simply wanted to ensure you weren't rewriting the history book with Ger Mac as a 'good' player.

heffo

Quote from: Canalman on January 30, 2009, 10:58:06 PM
What's this about a protest?? Ffs will have to endure that guy with the sombrero on the 9 o clock news....yet again. I get the impression that the Cork public have more on their plates at the moment.

Cyril Kavanagh?

I'd say the Cork players do be cringing when they see him coming into their carriage on the train to sing 'The Banks...'