McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Obviously the 2008 panel thought that by going on strike, they would have got the reaction they wanted based on their over reaction.

Had the 2008 panel made the proper noises publicly, there's a very good chance that this might even have been resolved to have allowed them to play this year but it seems like they held all on to their cards too long and have gone "all in" with a poor enough hand. They had better cards all along but chose not to play them.

dowling

Of course change can be effected through means outside the offical processes as was proved last year in Cork. Usually self-interested groups of people employ 'outside' tactics. Because players in Cork last year got a result no doubt they've tried it again. And no doubt if they got another result more of the same would happen over other disputes. So where does it end if there isn't an application of rules and a following of procedures.

orangeman

Gerald Mc Carthy :

'A lot of GAA people will be called on to make big calls in the next few weeks. The men and women who represent clubs are going to determine what set of values will shape Cork hurling for the future.

There could be plenty of life in this story yet. Looks like this could be a defining moment for player power over administrators.

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 04:08:53 PM
ok answer me this so:

Are they trying to effect change to reverse a democratic decision?

We won't use the word 'strike'..

Seems to me that that may be true. What is wrong with that?

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on January 29, 2009, 04:11:36 PM
Of course change can be effected through means outside the offical processes as was proved last year in Cork. Usually self-interested groups of people employ 'outside' tactics. Because players in Cork last year got a result no doubt they've tried it again. And no doubt if they got another result more of the same would happen over other disputes. So where does it end if there isn't an application of rules and a following of procedures.

that is some of the worst horseshit i've read on this thread, and thats saying something.

who are these "self interested groups"?

what are "outside tactics"?

rules and procedures can be changed by their very nature. this is the very essence of democracy. none of this can happen in any fashion other than a demcratic one.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 04:16:18 PM
ok answer me this so:

Nothing per se.

You asked for clarification regarding where or how the players were being undemocratic - I hope I've clarified this..

dowling

GAA would I be right in thinking you've taken a disliking to me?  Shite earlier, horseshit now.
Did the players not get a result last year by a means that was outside the procedures of the GAA?

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 04:22:06 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 04:16:18 PM
ok answer me this so:

Nothing per se.

You asked for clarification regarding where or how the players were being undemocratic - I hope I've clarified this..

Not really. i don't see how they are being undemocratic, but there you go.

dowling

Oh and by the way GAA there are rules and procedures for changing rules and procedures. Maybe if Frank Murphy wasn't the only one in Cork who seemed to understand everything people like yourself would be a little less insulting with your posts.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on January 29, 2009, 04:28:54 PM
GAA would I be right in thinking you've taken a disliking to me?  Shite earlier, horseshit now.
Did the players not get a result last year by a means that was outside the procedures of the GAA?

I neither like nor dislike you, bless your heart. however, you don't seem to have much of a grasp of what going on but post away undeterred. some part of me should probably admire that kind of bloodimindedness but not so far.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on January 29, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
Oh and by the way GAA there are rules and procedures for changing rules and procedures. Maybe if Frank Murphy wasn't the only one in Cork who seemed to understand everything people like yourself would be a little less insulting with your posts.

What rules and rocedures have the cork players broken?

I'm delighted that you have enough intelligience to be insulted by my posts. i thought i was wasting my time with you.

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 04:36:38 PM
I'm delighted that you have enough intelligience to be insulted by my posts. i thought i was wasting my time with you.

:D

classic

johnneycool

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 29, 2009, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 03:46:11 PM

It cannot be "undemocratic" to decide not to volunteer to play a game

I'd agree with that assumption but then why bother going in front of the press with a tale of woe

Surely they were entitled to respond to the previous press release from the CCB directed at them and the one in which they were attacked by McCarthy? or maybe they shouldn't be allowed defend themselves?

It's all a matter of who said what first at this point as one side says their responding or defending themselves from the other, just like Ger's response to the players statement. Certainly the players are well within their rights to defend their stance but they're treatment of Ger right at the outset does not help their cause as the sinned against as opposed to the sinners

why bother going in front of the press with a list of issues that the clubs in Cork need to sort out before you return.

I must have missed that bit - post the detail up there...

As a start and as repeatedly requested by them, we are issuing invitations to the Chairpersons of all the Clubs of Cork to meet with us as soon as possible to discuss the situation further.

You are either going to play under the democratically elected manager or you are not!

i thought we were all in agreement that they are not... what's your point?

If you are not then go now but go quietly

You can argue about the validity of that democracy or spirit of process until you are blue in the face but each individual player needs to make their own mind up and get on with it.

Frank may be a ****, Ger might be crap but that's what's on offer so it's make your mind up time IMO?

where's the ambiguity?

No ambiguity as far as I can see. The question facing each individual player is simple. either go back and play for Cork under Ger's managership or retire/make yourself unavailable

The GAA

That's it exactly. they have made themselves unavailable.

have to take you up on this: Nowhere have the players produced a list of issues for the clubs to deal with before they'll return

Quote from: johnneycool on January 29, 2009, 04:39:49 PM
I must have missed that bit - post the detail up there...
As a start and as repeatedly requested by them, we are issuing invitations to the Chairpersons of all the Clubs of Cork to meet with us as soon as possible to discuss the situation further.

your post above certainly doesn't contradict that, so i'll take it as an error.

dowling

I'm sure there are plenty of times I've been insulted and haven't realised so feel free to carry on GAA. If it helps you avoid facing up to reality so be it.