McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

QuoteWe are calling on the membership to mobilise and to decide what they want for the future.

As a start and as repeatedly requested by them, we are issuing invitations to the Chairpersons of all the Clubs of Cork to meet with us as soon as possible to discuss the situation further.

We will await developments generally but let us be clear;

If we do not have the support of the Cork Hurling public in our actions, we will disband.

So if the clubs row in behind FM and Ger Mac (by voting democratically one more time) they will disband?

Just so we're really clear here, because the statement is quite confusing?? Have I read that right?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 27, 2009, 08:36:27 PM
QuoteWe are calling on the membership to mobilise and to decide what they want for the future.

As a start and as repeatedly requested by them, we are issuing invitations to the Chairpersons of all the Clubs of Cork to meet with us as soon as possible to discuss the situation further.

We will await developments generally but let us be clear;

If we do not have the support of the Cork Hurling public in our actions, we will disband.

So if the clubs row in behind FM and Ger Mac (by voting democratically one more time) they will disband?

Just so we're really clear here, because the statement is quite confusing?? Have I read that right?

How's it confusing, it's what it says, well actually they said if the Cork hurling public don't back them they'll disband.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 27, 2009, 08:40:41 PM
Who are the 'Cork hurling public'?

All of us in Cork, the real Cork fans. Not the ones who ask why don't they play, when the players say they want to play. Not the ones who judge the players but in reality haven't been to a game in a long time and probably have never played a game or been members of a club, not like there's anything wrong with that.

The real fans, even though some were behind McCarthy, every real Cork fan, is behind the players against the CB. There are some exceptions but I can't understand how a real fan can back the board in this one. I can't.

The real Cork fans will have their voice and will make their voice heard.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 06:28:24 PM
Let me think, make a prediction, the CB will meet tonight, usual whitewash, technicalities, rule book says etc etc. Cloyne motion gets pushed to one side, more 92-6 votes of support for Gerald..you know the rest.
A statment will be made afterwards about the democratic way being followed..etc.voting this and voting that.
All the clubs chairmen will creep back into the woodwark, a handfull will meet with the players, (and maybe deny doing so later)
The fans will do their best, they'll make a point but the clubs will keep their heads down (any lower and through the ground) they'll say nothing just nod at what they are being spoon fed.

Players admit the game is up and about 20 or so retire. They leave with their heads held high, the other 10 or so (the kids mainly) change their mind and agree to play for Gerald but their hearts are a million miles away.
Cork are poor in the league, each match followed by a post match pep talk interview about positives and only learning the game..etc and then maybe scrape a lucky win giving Gerald encouragement to go on to the championship. Tipp in Thurles, no more than 4/5,000 Cork fans (and that's pushing it) most of which are family members, parents, friends and such of all the 09 squads.  Cork might win the first round of the qualifiers against, put up a good fight against a big name in the next round but go down by 10 or so points in the end.
A bad season, (awful in a lot of our views) but some "encouraging signs" for Gerald and he vows to see out his term till 2010.
Because now just showing up in a Cork jersey is enough and the Cork fans will sit and shake their heads wondering how the hell we got to this point.

Meanwhile Sean Og, the twins, Ga, Tom Kenny etc adorn the club hurling scene, playing their best hurling for years. But interest is low the hurling public have fallen out of love with the game, in the knowledge that Cork are a spent force for many years to come. Public debate is forgotten, all of this is forgotten and we'll all sigh about the good old days in the bars and pubs and the remaining fans will always ask the same question, how old is he now? Surely he's near retirement now.

But tonight, like I said, will be a typical "fair" meeting.

The press (surprise, surprise) are not allowed at tonights County Board Meeting, so much for being open and accountable. There's nothing we can do about it, as per usual.

They say that they are doing things by the book, democracy at work and such etc. Like what the hell are the top table so afraid of, what are they trying to hide,its our organisation, it's our GAA, we demand and are entitled to know whats happening within the set up, again this justs highlights the cause of the players actions, I wonder how many of the delegates will have the balls to stand up tonight and question why the press have not been allowed to attend, and maybe question every other decision that has been made in this mess. .

Perhaps the involvement of the media by both sides has actually made the thing worse all along ? - statements made by all sides have maybe enflamed the whole situation.
Perhaps if the media had been kept out all along, the two sides might have had a better chance to resolve their differences. Fair enough, it was probably always going to be a tough ask but the media have not helped. I'm not blaming the media - just making a statement of opinion.

So further media input probably won't be helpful now.

Any word on how the meeting went Reillers ?

theskull1

Cheers now I think understand.  :-\

So the real Cork fans do not actually "have" to be members of the GAA.

So even if the actual membership of the GAA through consultation with their club exectutives agree through a democratic vote at a County Board meeting not to support the players position, they will still not disband if the "real Cork fans" support them?

Very strange that you don't find that confusing?

Just to clarify. What will be the measure of support that they need to not disband. How will we know?

So many texts in a radio poll?
So many votes on an internet forum?
So many "fans" booing the 2009 panel after NHL matches?

What will it be just so the goalposts can't be moved down the line, because at the minute it is as clear as mud?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

-

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 09:11:05 PM

All of us in Cork, the real Cork fans.

I'm confused.

Do you mean the members of the GAA in Cork or 'fans' whatever thats supposed to mean..?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 27, 2009, 09:47:15 PM
Let me think, make a prediction, the CB will meet tonight, usual whitewash, technicalities, rule book says etc etc. Cloyne motion gets pushed to one side, more 92-6 votes of support for Gerald..you know the rest.
A statment will be made afterwards about the democratic way being followed..etc.voting this and voting that.
All the clubs chairmen will creep back into the woodwark, a handfull will meet with the players, (and maybe deny doing so later)
The fans will do their best, they'll make a point but the clubs will keep their heads down (any lower and through the ground) they'll say nothing just nod at what they are being spoon fed.

Players admit the game is up and about 20 or so retire. They leave with their heads held high, the other 10 or so (the kids mainly) change their mind and agree to play for Gerald but their hearts are a million miles away.
Cork are poor in the league, each match followed by a post match pep talk interview about positives and only learning the game..etc and then maybe scrape a lucky win giving Gerald encouragement to go on to the championship. Tipp in Thurles, no more than 4/5,000 Cork fans (and that's pushing it) most of which are family members, parents, friends and such of all the 09 squads.  Cork might win the first round of the qualifiers against, put up a good fight against a big name in the next round but go down by 10 or so points in the end.
A bad season, (awful in a lot of our views) but some "encouraging signs" for Gerald and he vows to see out his term till 2010.
Because now just showing up in a Cork jersey is enough and the Cork fans will sit and shake their heads wondering how the hell we got to this point.

Meanwhile Sean Og, the twins, Ga, Tom Kenny etc adorn the club hurling scene, playing their best hurling for years. But interest is low the hurling public have fallen out of love with the game, in the knowledge that Cork are a spent force for many years to come. Public debate is forgotten, all of this is forgotten and we'll all sigh about the good old days in the bars and pubs and the remaining fans will always ask the same question, how old is he now? Surely he's near retirement now.

The press (surprise, surprise) are not allowed at tonights County Board Meeting, so much for being open and accountable. There's nothing we can do about it, as per usual.

They say that they are doing things by the book, democracy at work and such etc. Like what the hell are the top table so afraid of, what are they trying to hide,its our organisation, it's our GAA, we demand and are entitled to know whats happening within the set up, again this justs highlights the cause of the players actions, I wonder how many of the delegates will have the balls to stand up tonight and question why the press have not been allowed to attend, and maybe question every other decision that has been made in this mess. .

Perhaps the involvement of the media by both sides has actually made the thing worse all along ? - statements made by all sides have maybe enflamed the whole situation.
Perhaps if the media had been kept out all along, the two sides might have had a better chance to resolve their differences. Fair enough, it was probably always going to be a tough ask but the media have not helped. I'm not blaming the media - just making a statement of opinion.

So further media input probably won't be helpful now.

Any word on how the meeting went Reillers ?

The media has made it worse, and they really have in most cases dug into and rip shreads off the players.
But the press were never allowed at CB meetings.
No word yet.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 27, 2009, 10:03:19 PM

I'm confused.

Do you mean the members of the GAA in Cork or 'fans' whatever thats supposed to mean..?
Whether people are part of a club or not is irrelevant. What I meant and grant it it came across wrong, I mean those who don't turn up to games except maybe the final or semi final but criticize the players, who say they want to play but can't. And criticise them on that. Every county has them, there aren't many here, not near as much as KK do, but they are there and annoying.

stephenite

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 10:22:57 PM

I'm confused.

Whether people are part of a club or not is irrelevant. What I meant and grant it it came across wrong, I mean those who don't turn up to games except maybe the final or semi final but criticize the players, who say they want to play but can't. And criticise them on that.

So how do you gauge the support of this group of people, how do you find out if the Cork Hurling public support the players?

orangeman

Quote from: stephenite on January 27, 2009, 10:28:25 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 10:22:57 PM

I'm confused.

Whether people are part of a club or not is irrelevant. What I meant and grant it it came across wrong, I mean those who don't turn up to games except maybe the final or semi final but criticize the players, who say they want to play but can't. And criticise them on that.

So how do you gauge the support of this group of people, how do you find out if the Cork Hurling public support the players?

A referendum ?

Reillers

The press (surprise, surprise) are not allowed at tonights County Board Meeting, so much for being open and accountable.
There's nothing we can do about it, as per usual.

Cloyne motion defeated 83 to 27.
Unbelievable. Any other county. And we wonder why no medias allowed, what's their excuse for it this time, only Frank Murphy should get a say.
They let themselves down tonight, they let us down tonight, they are a fuckin disgrace, Murphy is a disgrace and should be forced out and removed, how many skeletons did he threaten to bring out of the closet.
Cowards, nothing but cowards.
It was deemed "out of order"..don't make me laugh.
Out of order..OUT OF ORDER, there are a hell of a lot of things that are out of order about this Cb and the decisions they've made, that motion was not one of them.

cicfada

Reillers, was the motion deemed out of order or voted on, which was it?  PIty it lost anyway, it was worthwhile! We have had meetings at club level where we have tried to anticipate what motions the delegate might  have to vote on and what way to vote! a difficult task!

realrebel