McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 26, 2009, 09:44:13 PM
QuoteIncidentally, the GPA have not sent membership forms to the Cork hurling panel...again I wonder why that is..

Because they would cause a strike in the GPA and that would be the end of it.  :D
If the GPA have stayed out of this then I might even consider changing my little logo thingy or whatever you call it and they will have gained a lot of respect.
(Did Bailey get re-elected?)   

But if the GPA represent the best interests of all intercounty players then surely 1) they should been centrally involved in this dispute and 2) In touch with the Cork hurling panel as soon as they convened for January training, with membership forms??

No, Bailey lost out on a near 2/1 margin - he was canvassing like mad, calling delegates he would've considered bankers but the tide of opinion had changed against him - that's the last we'll see of him..

orangeman

Last week the CB / management issued a statement and said that they were no longer going to attempt to involve the 2008 panel because of their continued refusal to meet and try and try to resolve things, as voted upon by the delegates at the recent Cork AGM.

The players said they were going to call a press conference to deal with the CB's statement.

To be honest, I thought that the 2008 panel were going to take the opportunity to deal with the CB statement tonight and go through it and contradict the CB statement and show how the 2008 panel had acted honourably throughout the process and especially when it came to dealing with Olan Kelleher, the mediator.
The mediator nor the mediation process was NEVER mentioned tonight in a statememt which ran to 10 pages. So on this score at least, it does seem that the 2008 panel acted dishonourably and never had any intention of meeting with the CB or the management and that all the excuses put forward for not meeting were exactly that - excuses. I was hoping that they could have pointed out where they had made contact with the mediator and had arranged meetings etc etc etc.

The statement as far as I am concerned was long on rhetoric but short on the facts about the strike itself.

The 2008 panel are now attempting to move the goal posts by asking the clubs to back them.

If the clubs don't back them then it will again be Frank's fault, given that he tells every club member how to vote.

Bud Wiser

QuoteSully has been training with Highfield for months.  Cummins balls which a lot of teams play with

Correct.  Sully has been training with Highfield for months, since after the strike started.
Cummins Balls are not legal/accepted/within the rules/ whatever way you like to put it, in intercounty championship matches.  You know that (if you don't you should) and I know that, but most importantly Cusack knew that and yet, on several occasions during important games Cork tried to switch balls.  By the time ye win another All-Ireland after the trouble this team has caused ye will be looking to play with aluminium hurls with laser guidance beams on them to be accepted.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 26, 2009, 09:56:42 PM
QuoteSully has been training with Highfield for months.  Cummins balls which a lot of teams play with

Correct.  Sully has been training with Highfield for months, since after the strike started.
Cummins Balls are not legal/accepted/within the rules/ whatever way you like to put it, in intercounty championship matches.  You know that (if you don't you should) and I know that, but most importantly Cusack knew that and yet, on several occasions during important games Cork tried to switch balls.  By the time ye win another All-Ireland after the trouble this team has caused ye will be looking to play with aluminium hurls with laser guidance beams on them to be accepted.

He actually agreed to train with the club before this started to stay fit in the winter.
They were when they used them, Babs threw a fit at one of the matches, but they were legal up to last season.
They were provided at matches for keepers. Don't bullshit saying they weren't legal. The last time Cork used those balls that I know of in the intercounty games was when they were legal. Stop talking threw your hole stirring troubble.

orangeman

Was it Sully that got attacked by the Waterford lads in the Munster final two years ago, going up to take the penalty with a Cummins ball hid down his shorts ??? Donal Og sneaked it to him and he was running up the field to either take the penatly or slip the Cummins ball to someone else ? Thurles 2007 I think ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 26, 2009, 10:02:39 PM
Was it Sully that got attacked by the Waterford lads in the Munster final two years ago, going up to take the penalty with a Cummins ball hid down his shorts ??? Donal Og sneaked it to him and he was running up the field to either take the penatly or slip the Cummins ball to someone else ? Thurles 2007 I think ?

Two years ago they were legal. Sully takes penalities. He took it I'm sure.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 09:59:17 PM

They were when they used them, Babs threw a fit at one of the matches, but they were legal up to last season.

That's 100% bullshit.

There was an independent sliothar exercise carried out in 2003 by DCU (commisioned by Croke park) and it was decided that only O'Neills sliothars were to be used in championship games.

That is fact.

Stuffing an illegal ball down your shorts to gain an unfair advantage is not what the 2008 panel would refer to as 'the spirit of the agreement'..

heffo

That was against Limerick, no?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 10:04:18 PM

Two years ago they were legal. Sully takes penalities. He took it I'm sure.

He did - but not with the Cummins ball  - Donal Og slipped him a Cummins balls and he started to jog up the field from FB and the Waterford players realised this and they started to dig him in the groin with the butt of their hurls, cos they copped on that he had a Cummins ball which by all accounts was not legal that day.

tyronefan

why the need to hide the ball if he knew he was right   ???

orangeman

Quote from: tyronefan on January 26, 2009, 10:11:20 PM
why the need to hide the ball if he knew he was right   ???

I think it was his left ball !!!

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 26, 2009, 10:05:58 PM

That's 100% bullshit.

There was an independent sliothar exercise carried out in 2003 by DCU (commisioned by Croke park) and it was decided that only O'Neills sliothars were to be used in championship games.

That is fact.

Stuffing an illegal ball down your shorts to gain an unfair advantage is not what the 2008 panel would refer to as 'the spirit of the agreement'..

They were providing Cummins sliotars in 06 AI semi final, a bag of O Neills and a bag of Cummins for each goals.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 10:14:55 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 26, 2009, 10:05:58 PM

That's 100% bullshit.

That is fact.

they were providing Cummins sliotars in 06 match, a bag of O Neills and a bag of Cummins for each goals.

Who was providing these?

orangeman

This was definitely 2007 cos the ref confiscated the ball. Donal Og was at his tricks again.The Cummins sliothars were DEFINITELY ILLEGAL THAT DAY.

I know pictures can be deceiving, but did Sully look decidedly uncomfortable tonight or what ?.  It can't have been easy for him.