McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

It is obvious from recent statements from the CB, McCarthy and his selectors, that they don't want the players back, they never did. They are only interested in getting the 20ish year olds back.

Sorry mate thats bullshit and you know it.

orangeman

Hopefully Reillers the strikers will have read Vincent Hogan in today's Indo and will not go in for further vitriol and hopefully we'll have at the end of it, something that can be worked upon in order to secure a lasting solution to an issue that has gone on far too long at this stage.
Sadly Red and Green Sniper, I fear that the players will be even more hardline than they've already claimed, cos somebody, somewhere has told them that they're 100% right and not to give an inch and that everyone including God is on their side. I think you're right in that that from day one, they backed themselves into a corner and gave themselves no room to negotiate out of. They can still salvage something from this mess by being positive about the future, perhaps asking that certain things are put in place, certain personnel changes are made, input into drills. Anything, just to get the two sides talking again and back onto the pitch.

Surely they don't want to let the young lads go out and get beat off the field by a cricket score every Sunday ?? Surely they can't derive any pleasure in that ?? Brothers in arms and all that.

But from what you're saying in terms of long lists being read out and claims refuted, I can't see this going anywhere after tonight.

There won't be mass retirements. One for all and all for one etc...

Will it be on live TV at all or on the internet ??

100 turning out at the training - jesus that's a lot !

Reillers

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 26, 2009, 05:42:52 PM
Reillers, I agree with you on some things. Gerald McCarthy is getting a lot of sympathy. Initially I felt for him because his name was slurred by the players. But now, like you, I get the feeling he is enjoying himself a bit too much, exacting revenge on the players who told him he wasn't good enough.

And Teddy McCarthy clearly doesn't like the players either and he's really sticking the studs in too. The current management aren't conducting their affairs with a level of class that would endear themselves to me.

But that is not to say that the players are right in all of this. Agreed, you have a much better understanding than most of us about the politics down there and the influence Frank Murphy yields. Obviously its a major problem. But I think that's one for the clubs and if the clubs are not willing to do that, then there must not be enough support for his removal. Better the devil you know kinda thing . . .

But, fundamentally, where the players erred, was their refusal to have McCarthy in charge come what may. They therefore backed themselves into a corner where there was no room for compromise. Last year they signed up to consultation in the selection of the manager. They showed a certain naivety there perhaps but, fundamentally, refusing to play because the man that was re-appointed to the position of manager was a step too far and there was no other outcome on the cards once they were refusing to compromise on this stance.

I await their press conference with interest and I only hope it doesn't make the situation worse. Surely they can't go any more hardline/critical?

By the way when and where is the conference? And when are we likely to hear a report? Nine o'clock news I take it?

They're not right in all of this no, but their actions to an extent are justified.
It's very simple when it's broke down to the truth.

McCarthy wasn't working out with the players, which is nobodies fault really, it happens, but his record was very poor, he lost the dressing room, it wasn't working out and the players made that clear to the board, they said they couldn't work under him again, and without an interview or discussing other names or asking McCarthy to explain his failures, McCarthy despite everything was reappointed.

They did force themselves into a corner a bit but in all fairness if anyones capabale of getting out of a place where their backs are up against the wall.

I really can seeing them coming across really aggresive tonight, they have been torn apart by the press and the general public, insulted, accused of being prima donnas, with no honour or passion or pride..etc.
It'll take some massive power of will for them to hold their tounges.
I can see them making this work and loosing them support. I really hope they don't.
It's in a way a lot to ask of these players to be the bigger men, they've been insulted and ripped apart by the CB and McCarthy with pure lies at times.
And I think it really has hurt them, and they could come across badly tonight, really hardline aggresive.
I hope they take a breath before anyone answers any questions. Close to the entire panel will be there tonight, but it'll be interesting to see who speaks tonight. Donal Og is probably the best speaker, he's very clear when he talks and very to the point, but if he is the one then it could be viewed that he's leading the lot yet again.

They spent four and a half hours talking about what they'll do tonight, I just pray to God something will come of it and it's not made worse.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 06:18:32 PM
Reillers, I agree with you on some things. Gerald McCarthy is getting a lot of sympathy. Initially I felt for him because his name was slurred by the players. But now, like you, I get the feeling he is enjoying himself a bit too much, exacting revenge on the players who told him he wasn't good enough.

And Teddy McCarthy clearly doesn't like the players either and he's really sticking the studs in too. The current management aren't conducting their affairs with a level of class that would endear themselves to me.

But that is not to say that the players are right in all of this. Agreed, you have a much better understanding than most of us about the politics down there and the influence Frank Murphy yields. Obviously its a major problem. But I think that's one for the clubs and if the clubs are not willing to do that, then there must not be enough support for his removal. Better the devil you know kinda thing . . .

But, fundamentally, where the players erred, was their refusal to have McCarthy in charge come what may. They therefore backed themselves into a corner where there was no room for compromise. Last year they signed up to consultation in the selection of the manager. They showed a certain naivety there perhaps but, fundamentally, refusing to play because the man that was re-appointed to the position of manager was a step too far and there was no other outcome on the cards once they were refusing to compromise on this stance.

I await their press conference with interest and I only hope it doesn't make the situation worse. Surely they can't go any more hardline/critical?

By the way when and where is the conference? And when are we likely to hear a report? Nine o'clock news I take it?

They're not right in all of this no, but their actions to an extent are justified.

McCarthy wasn't working out with the players, which is nobodies fault really, it happens, but his record was very poor, he lost the dressing room, it wasn't working out and the players made that clear to the board, they said they couldn't work under him again, and without an interview or discussing other names or asking McCarthy to explain his failures, McCarthy despite everything was reappointed.

They did force themselves into a corner a bit but in all fairness if anyones capabale of getting out of a place where their backs are up against the wall.

I really can seeing them coming across really aggresive tonight, they have been torn apart by the press and the general public, insulted, accused of being prima donnas, with no honour or passion or pride..etc.
I can see them making this work and loosing them support. I really hope they don't.
It's in a way a lot to ask of these players to be the bigger men, they've been insulted and ripped apart by the CB and McCarthy with pure lies at times. And I think it really has hurt them, and they could come across badly tonight, really hardline aggresive.
I hope they take a breath before anyone answers any questions. Close to the entire panel will be there tonight, but it'll be interesting to see who speaks tonight. Donal Og is probably the best speaker, he's very clear when he talks and very to the point, but if he is the one then it could be viewed that he's leading the lot yet again.

They spent four and a half hours talking about what they'll do tonight, I just pray to God something will come of it and it's not made worse.

Surely they'll be able to tell us all about the lies the CB and Mc Carthy told about them tonight ? They'll have a chance to correct all the lies and they'll be able to tell us the truth.

Is it not Donal Og leading the revolt this time around ?

INDIANA

With all due respect Reillers spare us the Shakesperian dramatics about tonight. Its not a muscial on Broadway (yet). They couldn't possibly make things any worse. you can't go lower than the abyss which is where the dispute is at .

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 26, 2009, 06:28:32 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 06:18:32 PM

It's in a way a lot to ask of these players to be the bigger men, they've been insulted and ripped apart by the CB and McCarthy with pure lies at times. And I think it really has hurt them, and they could come across badly tonight, really hardline aggresive.

Surely they'll be able to tell us all about the lies the CB and Mc Carthy told about them tonight ? They'll have a chance to correct all the lies and they'll be able to tell us the truth.

Is it not Donal Og leading the revolt this time around ?
And what'll that do, make them look pety. Every Tom, Joe and Harry think that Gerald is a saint and the poor victim and it doesn't matter one bit what the players say, they'll always be troublemakers, they'll always be the liars, they'll always be the ones in the wrong with it comes to the average Gaa media fan.

It was never Donal Og leading anyone, people think that and he gets so much hastle for it, but if people think that it's Donal Og leading 29 headstrong players then they really are reading too much into the media and are being played like a violin by the board through the media.

Bud Wiser

Why are RTE broadcasting this shite?  Why don't the go and enter Mr Universe in California, or do male modeling or whatever they want to do?  Who is right, who is wrong? Who gives a flying //  All Cork are doing is dragging the GAA through the mire, and its not the first time.  My advice to the Cork team would be to go and buy a television and watch it instead of being on it because I for one and not the sjlightest bit interested in John Gardiners/GPA views.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

..And Croke Park say that can't help..

Can't or won't.

..something tells me if it was Dublin..

orangeman

Every Tom, Joe and Harry think that Gerald is a saint and the poor victim and it doesn't matter one bit what the players say, they'll always be troublemakers, they'll always be the liars, they'll always be the ones in the wrong with it comes to the average Gaa media fan.

Why do you think that is the case ? Surely people are intelligent enough to make up their own minds about things ?

You're starting to worry me tonight - if the strikers come across very aggressively, surely this will lead to even further division ? But I understand that the strikers do have a right of reply if they feel they have been insulted, portrayed as peole they're not and been made to look like liars etc.

If there were a 100 hardy souls who turned up to training yesterday just to watch it, that would suggest that the strikers do have a fair bit of support. So it's not a totally one sided affair at all.

Bud Wiser

It wouldn't be Dublin.  Dublin had John Baily (who is going for re-election again) and there was a rumpus because some did not want him in the position he held.  What did the Dubs do?  They democratically removed him through their clubs voting at the County Board AGM.  That is how every other county do it too.  If every county took the attitude of Mr Universe and John Gardiner where would the GAA be??
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

You're not seriously suggesting that Croke park haven't helped you guys in the past Reillers? They are nothing short of offering a counselling service to Cork Gaa  at this stage. Every single year there is a problem where they have to intervene. Like the rest of us I'd say they are fed up at this stage.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 05:15:48 PM
there's talk of cells and senior players threatening younger players. This has been repeated so often that it's is now taken as fact by the GAA public.

The first I heard of it was this morning's paper quoting Teddy Mac - has it been mentioned in public before?

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 26, 2009, 06:51:44 PM
It wouldn't be Dublin.  Dublin had John Baily (who is going for re-election again) and there was a rumpus because some did not want him in the position he held.  What did the Dubs do?  They democratically removed him through their clubs voting at the County Board AGM.  That is how every other county do it too.  If every county took the attitude of Mr Universe and John Gardiner where would the GAA be??

Exactly - your timelines are a little off though - Bailey ran for re-election about seven weeks ago.

Bud Wiser

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 26, 2009, 06:46:06 PM
..And Croke Park say that can't help..

Can't or won't.

..something tells me if it was Dublin..

How many times do you want third parties to intervene in the affairs of Cork?

I'd say Kieran Mulvey breaks into a cold sweat when he sees an 021 number coming up on his phone..