McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Mickey Harte is a proven manager, and they can be forgiven for not being 100% today. This cup means nothing to them, but for Cork, this was supposed to be a we'll prove ourselves to ye. It was supposed to be McCarthy's masterminded team winning the Cup. They couldn't even beat a college who was missing most of their stars.
It was an oppurtunity missed.
Now we've to wait till the blood bath in the summer.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 11, 2009, 04:51:38 PM
Mickey Harte is a proven manager, and they can be forgiven for not being 100% today. This cup means nothing to them, but for Cork, this was supposed to be a we'll prove ourselves to ye. It was supposed to be McCarthy's masterminded team winning the Cup. They couldn't even beat a college who was missing most of their stars.

Do you mean that the team will be hammered in the championship ?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 11, 2009, 04:51:38 PM

Surely you could say the same about Mc Carthy and his team  -  surely thay can be forgiven given the number of players who are unavailable ?.

Reillers

It's completley different. Tyrone aren't bother with that comp.

Gerald had a perfect oppurtunity today.

Cork had home advantage.
WIT were missing alot of real intercounty players who were still out of the country
There was some serious motivation there. To prove themselves.
A lot of training done of McCarthy amazing quality sessions of course.
And a new backroom team.

A game against what would be one of the easiest teams they'll come up against this season. And they still lost.
An awful game in awful conditions grant it, but it was a massive oppurtunity missed. McCarthy wanted to prove that he was right, but now he's got us thinking the opposite.
Because every single person who looks at this will think to themselves if that's today what are we going to loose to against Tipp.

There's very little to build on here. We all know it, McCarthy knows it, the CB know it.

The PR machine will be interesting, I've no doubt they'll come up with some excuse.

orangeman

If Tyrone put out a 4th or 5th string team, they'd get hammered as well - what do you want Mc Carthy to do ? Just resign and let the strikers back in again ? Do you really think that Mc Carthy leaving would be the best thing for Cork hurling and the GAA in general ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 11, 2009, 05:23:45 PM
If Tyrone put out a 4th or 5th string team, they'd get hammered as well - what do you want Mc Carthy to do ? Just resign and let the strikers back in again ? Do you really think that Mc Carthy leaving would be the best thing for Cork hurling and the GAA in general ?

Without a doubt.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 11, 2009, 06:06:26 PM

Without a doubt.

And how do you justify that in the long term ?

theskull1

Without a doubt.

Once again Reillers you show young niavity and ignorance of how the GAA works beyond players getting treated properly. And as regards getting treated properly well that cuts both ways in the GAA yet the striking players wouldn't consider that. The striking players have massive culpability in any bad fortunes coming to Cork Hurling because of their stance. Ger Mac can only work with what he's got and expectations should be set accordingly.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 11, 2009, 06:19:24 PM

Without a doubt.

What's it's the long term I'm thinking about. In the short term this situation this "Cork team" will play and loose and that'll be it, but this situation with all the players gone and McCarthy still in place Cork's future will be in tatters for years.
I think that the players should have to do something as well, some of them leave as well.
But McCarthy is a bad manager and even taking the situation off the pitch and putting it aside, the man is dragging Cork down the drain. He was a legend of a player but he isn't a good manager of this team and results show that.

And Skull you don't think I know I how the GAA works, the set up of the GAA, the way it works is the problem.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 11, 2009, 06:37:11 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 11, 2009, 06:19:24 PM

Without a doubt.

What's it's the long term I'm thinking about. In the short term this situation this "Cork team" will play and loose and that'll be it, but this situation with all the players gone and McCarthy still in place Cork's future will be in tatters for years.
I think that the players should have to do something as well, some of them leave as well.
But McCarthy is a bad manager and even taking the situation off the pitch and putting it aside, the man is dragging Cork down the drain. He was a legend of a player but he isn't a good manager of this team and results show that.

And Skull you don't think I know I how the GAA works, the set up of the GAA, the way it works is the problem.

That's an awful statement !

So if Mc Carthy is dragging it down the drain, what the players doing ??? Fighting to save it from going down the pan ??.

Reillers

Read the part before that. I said ON THE FIELD. As a manager, he's bad and his decisions as a manager has cost Cork on the field. Down the drain was a bit harsh, but he is a big part of why we have lost 5 games in 2 seasons. Not all of which has been his fault. But when it came down to it some decisions on the day cost us tenfold. But he is ONE reason why Cork has plumeted backwards in the last season. People say some of it's because the players are pushing on, I'm sorry but I do not except that things can get that bad in the space of a few months. It can't.

And the fact that the CB kept him on is just well a reflection of how biased the CB are and how shockingly it works.

theskull1

So I assume the players are going after both Ger Mac and the individuals in the County Board to step down if we're taking about this group of players saving Cork Hurling (You have admitted that the CB a the problem. Ger Mac has nothing to do with the quality of hurling throughout the County.

BTW I'm being a devils advocate (maybe stating the obvious) because is too easy to blame the men already doing the job. And is there a queue of replacements to fill their shoes? You will understand this in time

Zulu

QuoteBTW I'm being a devils advocate (maybe stating the obvious) because is too easy to blame the men already doing the job. And is there a queue of replacements to fill their shoes?

And you think that's a justification for supporting the incumbents? I don't expect CB men to be a mixture of JFK, Bill Gates and Gandhi but I do expect them to have the best interests of the GAA at heart. Fixtures aren't easy but establishing a fixture list and by and large sticking with should ensure that most club players are getting enough games. And CB's should simply appoint the best man available to them for their county teams and then assist that man and his squad in whatever way they can (finances permitting). I have a lot of issues with the CCB but I am willing to give them some leeway on all of these. But when they knowingly reappoint a man with whom the panel can't work with then they are clearly pursuing an agenda that hasn't the promotion of the GAA at heart. That is unforgivable and nobody here or anywhere else that I'm aware of, has provided a logical justification for the CCB's decision based on the good of Cork hurling.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 11, 2009, 07:44:51 PM
So I assume the players are going after both Ger Mac and the individuals in the County Board to step down if we're taking about this group of players saving Cork Hurling (You have admitted that the CB a the problem. Ger Mac has nothing to do with the quality of hurling throughout the County.

BTW I'm being a devils advocate (maybe stating the obvious) because is too easy to blame the men already doing the job. And is there a queue of replacements to fill their shoes? You will understand this in time

"Going after" come on Skull do ya always have to stirr like. I mean really.
The CB is a problem, they are behind the pathetic standards of many things in this county and Gerald being one of them, (not pathetic but he's not a good manager.)
Gerald does have a lot to do with what's happened on the pitch and some of his decision making has been very poor and has cost us a lot.

I'll blame Frank Murphy for "doing his job" but you're right they're not many people lining up to take his job, same way there are not many people willing to stand up. It's all good and well whining about it when no ones willing to do anything.
But that shouldn't excuse the poor job that they are doing.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on December 27, 2008, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2008, 02:31:01 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 24, 2008, 02:08:55 PM
The players said, I've said, the whole bloody country has said that the players said that they will go back if McCarthy goes, you know that. Do I think the real problem is McCarthy..no I think the real problem is Frank Murphy. But it's what the players say.

Everyone knows that the players have said that they will come back if McCarthy is gone. What's the problem there.

Quote from: Reillers on December 27, 2008, 10:22:19 PM
Cork hurling is dying, with or without these players, it's just a question of how fast. The players represent the resistance against the CB. It's not about if these players go Cork will fall to bits because these selective players aren't there on the pitch, but it's what they stand for. Ye think I'm exagerating, ye think that it's bullshit, that's fine, but I guarantee you, it will plumet, Pairc Ui Caoimh is a sign of the running of the Cork GAA. The CB think that they can do whatever they want to do, they want complete control and the only ones standing in the way of that is the players.

They want complete control and I, along with so many people, have said that. Control over success. They would, and I honest to God mean this, have this current bunch of players gone, and these kids at the front and take whatever results come with them, then success with these players.

"The sky is falling the sky is falling"

Where are we again Reillers? The Dark Knights otherwise known as the striking players will sell their souls and come back if Ger McCarthy jumps but they really know that the CB is the real problem. WTF? Principles where? What about everyone else they claim to be trying to save? Clarification please

Quote from: Reillers on January 11, 2009, 08:07:12 PM

"Going after" come on Skull do ya always have to stirr like. I mean really.
The CB is a problem, they are behind the pathetic standards of many things in this county and Gerald being one of them, (not pathetic but he's not a good manager.)
Gerald does have a lot to do with what's happened on the pitch and some of his decision making has been very poor and has cost us a lot.

I'll blame Frank Murphy for "doing his job" but you're right they're not many people lining up to take his job, same way there are not many people willing to stand up. It's all good and well whining about it when no ones willing to do anything.
But that shouldn't excuse the poor job that they are doing.

Well you tee'd me up with your comments above  :-*.........still waiting for you to answer after several attempts. It's all very well to lambast everything wrong in Cork (the second or third best hurling county in the country btw) and state that the players are standing up against all those who in their opinion have not cork hurling's best interests. But are they going to hold to that. Or is it simply about getting rid of GMcC? Can you clarify?  Because if if it is the latter then they are only interested in their own hurling fortunes and nobody elses.