McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on January 09, 2009, 04:06:08 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 09, 2009, 03:35:55 PM
The players have "fed" these stories of poor training drills etc etc to the journos. So are they really independent ? The players will usually have a longer career on the team than the manager will have as manager. The journos will want to keep the players onside. The journos know the manager will usually be gone in a while. How do the journalists know what was on the trays in Dungarvon or on the plates ? Were they at the training in Mallow or wherever it was held ? I don't think so. Who told them then ??? And were the tales spun in any way ??

I've made these points before and the reply was that I would need to ask the journalist.

what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

Journalists should not research articles? they should only write about personal experience?

It's my understanding that a particular journalist would be reqired to substantiate this type of information before goin to print. maybe you know differentlyfrom your "sources on the ground"?

I honestly don't think that much research is done at all - a juicy headline with little or nothing behind the headline is a safe enough auld bet.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on January 09, 2009, 04:03:53 PM
When was he last on Primetime about the strike ?

entirely irrelevent put that never discourages you.
both sides have fought hard at the publicity war but noone can deny McCarthy has lived in the papers - perhaps with good reason from his point of view.

Quote from: orangeman on January 09, 2009, 04:03:53 PM
I honestly think that statement is neither fair or reasonable.

eh, why?

Where has McCarthy (or anyone else for that matter) contradicted a single word of that damning summation of his ability?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on January 09, 2009, 04:09:33 PM
I honestly don't think that much research is done at all - a juicy headline with little or nothing behind the headline is a safe enough auld bet.

Like a lot of things it seems you know nothing about journalism and writing articles for a national paper.

do you believe for one second that a journalist at that level would get past an editor in writing unsubstantiated stuff that would leave the paper open to legal action in response?

catch yourself on.

o, and reporters don't write headlines

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 09, 2009, 04:13:59 PM

Like a lot of things it seems you know nothing about journalism and writing articles for a national paper.

do you believe for one second that a journalist at that level would get past an editor in writing unsubstantiated stuff that would leave the paper open to legal action in response?

catch yourself on.

In general that is correct - sub editors or editors do.

Off the top of my head though, two GAA journalists double job - the aforementioned Kieran Shannon who is also the sports editor and Alan Milton from the Irish Sun.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on January 09, 2009, 04:13:59 PM

catch yourself on.

Jesus, you're an expert on everything - is there nothing you don't know anything about ??  ;)

Cop yourself on - are you saying that everything written in the papers is reserched 100% all of the time ? You know that's pure rubbish or maybe you don't - maybe you're just not as smart are you think you and maybe I'm not just as stupid as you would like to believe.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on January 09, 2009, 04:21:47 PM
Jesus, you're an expert on everything - is there nothing you don't know anything about ??  ;)

Better than the alternative which you so eloquently advertise.

Cop yourself on - are you saying that everything written in the papers is reserched 100% all of the time ? You know that's pure rubbish or maybe you don't - maybe you're just not as smart are you think you and maybe I'm not just as stupid as you would like to believe.

You think an editor would let an article like that go to press in a national publiction without it being substantiated? really?

If any of the claims in there were to be untrue then the paper is wide open to legal action, no question.

To answer your question, that article would have been 100% researched and substantiated or a couple of jobs could have been at risk.
if you think otherwise then you are even denser than i'd thought.

Zulu

While it might be true that some journalists might have motivation to write an article in favour of one party or the other I think it is ridiculous to suggest that a journalist would make up stuff about a training session to further his aims. I don't have any personal experience of Gerald's coaching ability but I'd say he is pretty decent but not up to IC standard, at least that's the impression I'm getting. However the real problem with Gerald, and OM you don't seem to get this, is there is a complete breakdown between the players and Gerald. The two parties do not, nor will they ever have a working relationship so there is no middle ground, there is no point in further meetings, as long as Gerald is coach then the players won't play.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 09, 2009, 04:33:54 PM

Better than the alternative which you so eloquently advertise.

You think an editor would let an article like that go to press in a national publiction without it being substantiated? really?

If any of the claims in there were to be untrue then the paper is wide open to legal action, no question.

To answer your question, that article would have been 100% researched and substantiated or a couple of jobs could have been at risk.
if you think otherwise then you are even denser than i'd thought.

The issue surrounds how the facts are presented - no credible journalist on either side is going to print outright lies - it's how they're spun.

Reillers

I agree, while newspapers haven't been none to always be 100% true, but no credible journalist will print out right lies.

OM, If your opinion is that the players are "feeding" those stories to the press, then you most always agree that Gerald is feeding them to right??

And you seem to thinkg very little of everyone, the players, ex managers, credible journalists..etc everyone but McCarthy. You'll say and have said just about anything to protect what he's done.

The GAA

Thank god. Strange that you've just agreed that everything you've posted in the last couple of pages has been bollox.

but thank god none the less

orangeman

GAA / Reillers - would the players agree to Mc Carthy bringing in other faces into the set up to see if it would help things ?.

My guess now after this week, when the players refused to meet Mc Carthy, (I've information that they actually got up and walked out of a meeting perhaps Reillers might be able to confirm this ), that the  CB have privately admitted that there's no point flogging a dead horse, Mc Carthy is the manager and they're going to let him get on with the job.

The players were playing with fire, leaving themselves no where to go when push came to shove.

They're either very brave men prepared to stand by their beliefs at any cost or else they're seriously misguded, silly and ill advised.

Only time will tell.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on January 10, 2009, 12:31:16 AM
GAA / Reillers - would the players agree to Mc Carthy bringing in other faces into the set up to see if it would help things ?.

Haven't a clue

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 10, 2009, 12:31:16 AM

Don't know, the problems still there he's still manager.

My guess now after this week, when the players refused to meet Mc Carthy, (I've information that they actually got up and walked out of a meeting perhaps Reillers might be able to confirm this ), that the  CB have privately admitted that there's no point flogging a dead horse, Mc Carthy is the manager and they're going to let him get on with the job.

They were in a meeting, the made it clear that they didn't want McCarthy there, but he walks in anyway so the players left. McCarthy could leave the players just meet with the CB on their own, they might get something solved, but no he wont, he makes it about him again.

The players were playing with fire, leaving themselves no where to go when push came to shove.

They're either very brave men prepared to stand by their beliefs at any cost or else they're seriously misguded, silly and ill advised.

Only time will tell.