McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

I gather that seeing as that's what I said earlier.

The players don't and wont play under McCarthy again. They have no respect for eachother, not anymore. It wont happen, it can't be done unless there's some miracle really.

realrebel

reillers
i thought the players were willing to talk
they walked out of a meeting sunday night when ger and his management team came into the room
whats that about how is it supposed to be settled when they wont talk

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 08, 2009, 05:59:29 PM

The players don't and wont play under McCarthy again. They have no respect for eachother, not anymore. It wont happen, it can't be done unless there's some miracle really.

The players are being very silly, childish, headstrong, proud, ignorant, petty, noble, stubborn, principled, brave, foolish,  -  in fact whatever you want to call it -

But the players representatives are basically saying to the county board - we will never play under Mc Carthy again - do they not realise that Gerald Mc Carthy, hurling legend, and all round good guy, is the current manager of the Cork senior hurling team, appointed by the CB.

This county board unlike the Waterford one will NOT sack Gerald. He's one of their own - Justin afterall was only ever a blow in and could have been got rid of and not many would have been that worried. Teddy Holland never got into the position of being manager.

This time round, it's all so different.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on January 08, 2009, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 08, 2009, 04:32:46 PM

I can't see these players returning.

My reasoning is:

1 - The CCB are not going to replace McCarthy under any circumstances now.

2 - The players considerd it a waste of a year traiing under him for 2009 as they felt he was substandard.

Where's the middle ground in that?

The only thing i can see is an addition to the management team to improve the standard of things and an undertaking from ger to move on at the end of 2009?

I thought there was another reason why the principled striking players will not be back.

3 - The CCB are not going to replace themselves with people (in the eyes of the players) who are capable of resurrecting Cork hurling at all levels in the County

Or is saving Cork Hurling (well the bits where you can only get associate GPA membership  ;)) off the list of demands now?

Bump
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

This wasn't a PR stunt after all !!!!

ARMAGH THURS 29TH JANUARY

Training for GAA Players

Title: Making Athletes More Explosive and International Rules Training Plan

Venue: Ardmore Recreation Centre

Time: 7.00pm – 10.00pm

Facilitator: Mike McGurn

Mike has a wealth of experience working with top class athletes on their strength & conditioning. The former Ireland Rugby guru, now with Welsh side Ospreys, has enjoyed huge success in rugby league with the St. Helens team which won the treble of Challenge Cup, Super League and the World Cup Championship in 2001. Mike more recently help prepare the Irish Team for the International Australian Rules. He has also worked as a consultant for Leeds United, Everton, and numerous senior County GAA teams.

Course Content: This practical session will explore the training methods to be used to make the individual/team more explosive therefore being adequately prepared for peak performance.

Relevancy: Suitable for coaches involved in training and preparation of teams/individuals who train more than 3 hours per week.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 08, 2009, 06:09:44 PM

The players are being very silly, childish, headstrong, proud, ignorant, petty, noble, stubborn, principled, brave, foolish,  -  in fact whatever you want to call it -

But the players representatives are basically saying to the county board - we will never play under Mc Carthy again - do they not realise that Gerald Mc Carthy, hurling legend, and all round good guy, is the current manager of the Cork senior hurling team, appointed by the CB.

This county board unlike the Waterford one will NOT sack Gerald. He's one of their own - Justin afterall was only ever a blow in and could have been got rid of and not many would have been that worried. Teddy Holland never got into the position of being manager.

Nail on head without knowing or meaning it.  ::) ;)

It doesn't matter how much of a good guy you think he is, or how good of a player he was, he's not a good manager and he has lost the complete trust of the entire huling panel and players beyond that panel.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 08, 2009, 06:22:52 PM

It doesn't matter how much of a good guy you think he is, or how good of a player he was, he's not a good manager and he has lost the complete trust of the entire huling panel and players beyond that panel.

You keep coming out with this just becuase the senior players like Sean Og and Gardiner are looking rid of him, blaming him for the accumulated losses -

This CB will not sack him - no county board worth its' salt would sack on of their own after having been reappointed. Mc Carthy is doing this job on a vlountary basis - he makes trophies - that's his full time job - it's not as if he works in a bank and goes and earns a fortune in his spare time - in his spare time he devotes it to the same thing that he has devoted the rest of his life to - HURLING !

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 08, 2009, 06:27:42 PM

You keep coming out with this just becuase the senior players like Sean Og and Gardiner are looking rid of him, blaming him for the accumulated losses -

This CB will not sack him - no county board worth its' salt would sack on of their own after having been reappointed. Mc Carthy is doing this job on a vlountary basis - he makes trophies - that's his full time job - it's not as if he works in a bank and goes and earns a fortune in his spare time - in his spare time he devotes it to the same thing that he has devoted the rest of his life to - HURLING !

You are actually blinded by bias, which is hillarious because you claim you aren't.
And I've said and you've ignored that the players don't blame McCarthy for the losses. He's part of it but the players take responsibility and you've no proof to say otherwise, you are speculating and trying to make the players look bad only on you oppinion.
The players were playing well and making finals under O Grady and then Allen unfortunatley they didn't win an AI in 06 because KK were smart enough to counter Cork's game but. But players don't rapidly, all of them, slip in a few months, they don't.
McCarthy has to and is responsible for part of the losses. The Tipp game for instance he was solely responsible for that loss.

No county board worth it's salt would have reappointed him in the first place, he shouldn't have been but was for only one reason.
The players are doing their work on voluntary basis as well, you can't do that, you can't say one thing for Gerald and another for the players. You can't.
Where in the name of God do you think that the players earn a fortune that is a joke, and it's not unheard of that managers do it as well, and a lot of other players in different counties, of course that's irrelevant to you because, well you'll ignore the fact.
The players have their full time jobs as well and families, when some, if some have time they do what exactly?? Make an apperance somewhere, open a shopping centre.
9-5 in a job and training and family they do not have time to "make a fortune" they put in a lot of work, draining work in the gym, on the field. They don't have the time and what your saying is purely bitter, factless and biased.

And the players love hurling as much as Gerald does. Stop trying to belittle them and what they've done. Like I said it's biased and unfair and what you're saying are factless and unfair. Just your oppinion purely.
The players devote their lives to hurling. So cut the bullshit and the bias. You're most biased then the lost of us. At least the rest of us have some persepective.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on January 08, 2009, 06:01:01 PM
reillers
they walked out of a meeting sunday night when ger and his management team came into the room

They've made it clear that they wont sit down with Gerald, just the CB. But Gerald wont even agree to that, he has to be involved. For once would the man just step back.
Not going to the meeting is puting the good of Cork hurling first, and he's not in this case they might get something solved. But no, he refused.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 08, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
reillers

They've made it clear that they wont sit down with Gerald, just the CB. But Gerald wont even agree to that, he has to be involved. For once would the man just step back.
Not going to the meeting is puting the good of Cork hurling first, and he's not in this case they might get something solved. But no, he refused.

As far as you and the players are concerned Gerald is history - there is nothing to talk about even if Gerald wasn't there - the players know that Gerlad is fit for them and in his absence they might saft soap the CB - But as I said, this CB won't sack Gerald - he was appointed by them and they'll have to stand by him - they know they made too big a mistake last year when they shated Teddy and they're not about to roll over and let the players have full control of everything.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 08, 2009, 06:53:21 PM
reillers

As far as you and the players are concerned Gerald is history - there is nothing to talk about even if Gerald wasn't there - the players know that Gerlad is fit for them and in his absence they might saft soap the CB - But as I said, this CB won't sack Gerald - he was appointed by them and they'll have to stand by him - they know they made too big a mistake last year when they shated Teddy and they're not about to roll over and let the players have full control of everything.
History, no I didn't say that. I think he's a bad manager and I think he wont leave, and his bad management skills will be revealed even more this season.
He's a bad manager, you can't ignore that.
The reason he was reappointed by the CB wasn't because he was a good manger, that's common knowledge he was reappointed was to get rid of the players, I thought that was obvious.
Stand by him?? :D  :D You don't know the CCB and that's clear because the minute things go pear shapped they will wipe their hands of Gerald without a second thought. It's only a matter of time, either he resigns now or is fired later on in the season.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 08, 2009, 06:45:24 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 08, 2009, 06:27:42 PM

You are actually blinded by bias, which is hillarious because you claim you aren't.
And I've said and you've ignored that the players don't blame McCarthy for the losses. He's part of it but the players take responsibility and you've no proof to say otherwise, you are speculating and trying to make the players look bad only on you oppinion.
The players were playing well and making finals under O Grady and then Allen unfortunatley they didn't win an AI in 06 because KK were smart enough to counter Cork's game but. But players don't rapidly, all of them, slip in a few months, they don't.
McCarthy has to and is responsible for part of the losses. The Tipp game for instance he was solely responsible for that loss.

No county board worth it's salt would have reappointed him in the first place, he shouldn't have been but was for only one reason.
The players are doing their work on voluntary basis as well, you can't do that, you can't say one thing for Gerald and another for the players. You can't.
Where in the name of God do you think that the players earn a fortune that is a joke, and it's not unheard of that managers do it as well, and a lot of other players in different counties, of course that's irrelevant to you because, well you'll ignore the fact.
The players have their full time jobs as well and families, when some, if some have time they do what exactly?? Make an apperance somewhere, open a shopping centre.
9-5 in a job and training and family they do not have time to "make a fortune" they put in a lot of work, draining work in the gym, on the field. They don't have the time and what your saying is purely bitter, factless and biased.

And the players love hurling as much as Gerald does. Stop trying to belittle them and what they've done. Like I said it's biased and unfair and what you're saying are factless and unfair. Just your oppinion purely.
The players devote their lives to hurling. So cut the bullshit and the bias. You're most biased then the lost of us. At least the rest of us have some persepective.

That's a joke Reillers but if you repeat it often enough you'll believe it  -

You've consistently argued on here that all the players are united - they're not - pressure was exterted by Donal Og on the younger players to join in the strike - I know of players who weren't at the training at Mallow and who were "contacted" by a certain gentleman who "encouraged" them to be there.

So if you call that democaracy in action, fine.

And by the way, before you ask, I can't provide proof - but I can tell you that this definitely happened - you can say I haven't a clue or whatever but I do have my sources.

The panel of striking players are far from united and I think you'll see players breaking ranks with those who organised the thing in the first place  - I include the O'Sullivans in this - these lads want to return and are being held back by the leaders.

Someboyon here tried to imply that Mc Carthy was making money out of supplying trophies to Cork - he occasionally aupplies trophies sure enough - but if he does, he puts in a price like the rest of the competition and if he's the right price, he gets the job. Simple.

But to try to piant a picture that some Cork players don't benefit financially from their status is not telling the whole truth. You know that they do. To pretend otherwise is silly.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 08, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 08, 2009, 06:53:21 PM
reillers

History, no I didn't say that. I think he's a bad manager and I think he wont leave, and his bad management skills will be revealed even more this season.
He's a bad manager, you can't ignore that.
The reason he was reappointed by the CB wasn't because he was a good manger, that's common knowledge he was reappointed was to get rid of the players, I thought that was obvious.
Stand by him?? :D  :D You don't know the CCB and that's clear because the minute things go pear shapped they will wipe their hands of Gerald without a second thought. It's only a matter of time, either he resigns now or is fired later on in the season.

That's only your opinion - to say otherwise is just your view of things which let's face it isn't always entirely accurate - it's got a rather jaundiced view of reality most times.

cicfada

Why did it take until the 4th meeting for  the players to  have a problem with Mc carthy coming back as manager though? I have not been able to figure that one out! IF they had so little respect for him they should have said that from the beginning! It was agreed in principle that it would be ok for  him to continue on in the early meetings! They should have given alternatives right from the get go and they didn't!  Another mystery that could be cleared up by the players giving their overview of the meetings I would guess. I am flabbergasted they haven't done that either!

orangeman

Quote from: cicfada on January 08, 2009, 07:06:54 PM
Why did it take until the 4th meeting for  the players to  have a problem with Mc carthy coming back as manager though? I have not been able to figure that one out! IF they had so little respect for him they should have said that from the beginning! It was agreed in principle that it would be ok for  him to continue on in the early meetings! They should have given alternatives right from the get go and they didn't!  Another mystery that could be cleared up by the players giving their overview of the meetings I would guess. I am flabbergasted they haven't done that either!

It's simple - the senior lads after the 3rd meeting were out in the pub one night and reckoned they needed a change - so they just changed their minds and started a campaign to get rid of him. They put out a pile of bullshit stories about him being a poor manager, about him not knowing some of the players' names, about how short puck outs were banned etc etc etc etc - smokescreens !