McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 07, 2009, 01:06:26 PM
How about you reply instead of trying to belittle me. Stop ignoring the post for once. And yet again who ignore a whole post and highlight it and like I said blabber on and on and on.

Honestly I'm not trying to demean you at all  - just pointing out that when I make a claim, you automatically rubbish it by saying I haven't a clue, I know f--k all, I'm special etc etc etc.

All I'm trying to point out is that unless you're one of the players ( which you're not ) then you don't have all of the answers and cannot quote anyone and can't be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

orangeman

So Reillers - are the players going to meet up to try and resolve the issues ?.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the players were prepared to meet the CB who they accuse of being totally responsible for the mess but were not prepared to meet Mc Carthy who has been quoted as a pawn being used by the CB ?.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 07, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 07, 2009, 12:14:37 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 07, 2009, 12:02:22 PM

Are you that much of an empty vessel that you can't remember the newspaper articles that yourself and skull dismissed as biased by humphreys et al documenting examples of mixing his own players and clubs up, poor training sessions, poor man management, etc?

Intercounty players of the highest calibre are convinced that McCarthy is substandard. Orangeman doesn't thik so. i know who i believe.

Just out of interest, how do you know that players are being prevented from returning to the panel?

How did Humphreys know what the training was like ? Who was taking the training ?

Intercounty players pf the highest calibre last year fired a man who never even got to take a training session to see whether he was any good or not.

I think you'll concede that there's more to the strike than their opinion of the manager.

I'm told by sources down there and Reillers has previously alluded to this, that there are players who would like to have returned or who would like to return at various different at different times. Pro player posters have said there is 100% agreement to remain on strike but that isn't true. In all disputes, there are different sides who have different opinions. You know that players will say one thing on a room as a group and go outside and say something completely different - that's just human nature.

And I can see that Cork players who are apparently friendly with the Waterford players would tell them and no one else.  :-\  ::)

You can stick to the party press release all you like, but the player who told me is a reliable source and has given me reliable information in the past.

johnneycool

Quote from: heffo on January 07, 2009, 01:30:39 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 07, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 07, 2009, 12:14:37 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 07, 2009, 12:02:22 PM

Are you that much of an empty vessel that you can't remember the newspaper articles that yourself and skull dismissed as biased by humphreys et al documenting examples of mixing his own players and clubs up, poor training sessions, poor man management, etc?

Intercounty players of the highest calibre are convinced that McCarthy is substandard. Orangeman doesn't thik so. i know who i believe.

Just out of interest, how do you know that players are being prevented from returning to the panel?

How did Humphreys know what the training was like ? Who was taking the training ?

Intercounty players pf the highest calibre last year fired a man who never even got to take a training session to see whether he was any good or not.

I think you'll concede that there's more to the strike than their opinion of the manager.

I'm told by sources down there and Reillers has previously alluded to this, that there are players who would like to have returned or who would like to return at various different at different times. Pro player posters have said there is 100% agreement to remain on strike but that isn't true. In all disputes, there are different sides who have different opinions. You know that players will say one thing on a room as a group and go outside and say something completely different - that's just human nature.

And I can see that Cork players who are apparently friendly with the Waterford players would tell them and no one else.  :-\  ::)

You can stick to the party press release all you like, but the player who told me is a reliable source and has given me reliable information in the past.

As i've said before i find it hard to believe that 30 individuals hold the same unwavering view in the same manner I find it hard to fathom this stranglehold Frank Murphy has over some 60+ club delegates. I think the more vocal lads rule the roost in group situations like this with the rest toeing the party line, not wanting to alienate themselves from the group, common herd mentality and not unexpected.

as for Ger coaching abilities, I don't know whether they're good, bad or indifferent.
Reading between the lines and what he's said in the past, he wanted a return to traditional direct Cork hurling, meaning he was no fan of the running game adopted the last few years by team management and players and to an extent it worked as you need to cut your cloth to suit. Cork certainly lack aerial prowess in the forwards and the more measured puck outs and running/handpassing hid to an extent this deficiency. Certainly key players were more comfortable with these tactics. When Ger came in he did seem to try and change it a bit and his spat with Donal O'g was probably part of it. It'd be hard to change such strong willed lads into what may seem a backward step to some. This struggle wouldn't have helped anyone and with the team showing no fight in the early rounds of the championship plus a fortunate goal against Clare getting them back into a game they seemed dead and buried in the year would have fizzled out.
You could argue that Gers inability to remove the rock from the starting 15 against Clare and Galway was his biggest game time blunder but he got away with it for the rock to be one of the better defenders against kilkenny but now you wonder who was pulling the strings and was Ger under pressure to keep the dressing room and not upset the elite group, certainly Gardiner wasn't a happy bunny when sent to the edge of the square against Galway, Ger probably knew this and went out of his way to single Gardiner out for praise in the post match interviews.
The sort of infighting which seems to have been going on for the last while must of been draining on all concerned and its no wonder they underperformed but i wouldn't put all the blame at the managers door. Sometimes players have to do a job for the team even if it's not what they themselves want to do.

as for the Cork county board, they were well aware of the infighting and when Ger decided to stand again they obviously felt the need to support the manager against those peskey, troublemaking players and sat back whilst the players and Ger took pot shots at each other, no real leadership shown here at all IMO.

realrebel

heres the squad for sundays game

A kennedy (Sars)
C Hickey (Glen Rvrs)
C O'Sullivan (Sars)
A Kearney (Midleton)
B Johnston (Bride Rvrs)
E Keane (St Finbarrs)
G O'Connor (St Finbarrs)
D Crowley (Bandon)
C O'Leary (Blackrock)
C McCarthy (Sars)
Tadgh Og Murphy (Sars)
A Ryan (Midleton)
P Barry (Midleton)
G Norberg (Blackrock)
B Aherne (Blackrock)
W O'Brien (Carrigaline)
P Honohan (Bishopstown)
R O'Driscoll (Sars)
R Ryan (Sars)
C Brosnan (Brian Dillons)
E Clancy (Fermoy)
B O'Sullivan (Fermoy)
P Lynch (Kilworth)
J Moran (Carrigaline)

Reillers

Ya I heard that was the panel all right last night.

It's..an interesting squad.

Connor O Sullivan ia a good talent.
Not sure about the Fermoy boys to be honest.
In this "Development Squad" Ray Ryan is 30 years old, delighted for him, he's underrated but he's not exactly "development" type. Atleast we've more then 30 babies.
Cian McCarthy is a good lad as well. Tadgh Og is a handy player as well, all of the Sars lads are. If the players come back most of these lads will be pushed out the door in a heartbeat but a would expect a few of the Sars lads to be kept if the case happened.
There are a few handy players in there all right, but the thought of picking a team from that would bring tears to your eyes. Not to mention thinking of them playing against Tipp come first round.
There's not a chance in hell that these kids will win the Waterford Crystal not to mention the League or anything behond that.
I fear for these lads when they step on to the pitch, I really do, Cork suffered a record defeat at home to Limerick in 1996. 1-8 to 3-18. Lets just hope that that isn't surpased this season if the young lads end up playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 07, 2009, 08:21:26 PM
Ya I heard that was the panel all right last night.

It's..an interesting squad.

Connor O Sullivan ia a good talent.
Not sure about the Fermoy boys to be honest.
In this "Development Squad" Ray Ryan is 30 years old, delighted for him, he's underrated but he's not exactly "development" type. Atleast we've more then 30 babies.
Cian McCarthy is a good lad as well. Tadgh Og is a handy player as well, all of the Sars lads are. If the players come back most of these lads will be pushed out the door in a heartbeat but a would expect a few of the Sars lads to be kept if the case happened.
There are a few handy players in there all right, but the thought of picking a team from that would bring tears to your eyes. Not to mention thinking of them playing against Tipp come first round.
There's not a chance in hell that these kids will win the Waterford Crystal not to mention the League or anything behond that.
I fear for these lads when they step on to the pitch, I really do, Cork suffered a record defeat at home to Limerick in 1996. 1-8 to 3-18. Lets just hope that that isn't surpased this season if the young lads end up playing.

Don't accuse me of picking a few words here but do you think there's any chance they'll come back under the current management ?

What club are you from Reillers ? Are there any players from your club involved with either the strikers or the new panel ?.

Zulu

QuoteDon't accuse me of picking a few words here but do you think there's any chance they'll come back under the current management ?

What club are you from Reillers ? Are there any players from your club involved with either the strikers or the new panel ?.

To the first question the answer is no, well not the older players anyway and probably not the younger ones either.

Reillers can answer for himself but from his posts I'd guess the Sars.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2009, 10:53:53 PM
QuoteDon't accuse me of picking a few words here but do you think there's any chance they'll come back under the current management ?

To the first question the answer is no, well not the older players anyway and probably not the younger ones either.Reillers can answer for himself but from his posts I'd guess the Sars.

So there's a chance that some might go back ?.

orangeman

Why I asked about the club Reillers, I'm interested in establishing what the feelings are amongst the clubs in Cork - are they split on the issue or do the clubs only worry about themselves and aren't overly interested in the county set up ????

Zulu

I'm only speculating with respect to the players future actions but obviously younger lads who haven't had any career yet might be less inclined to see their chances of ever playing for Cork again go up in smoke.

Everyone in Cork is split, about the only thing they agree on is that there is enough blame to go around.

Someone asked for me to elaborate on some of the stories I alluded to in an earlier post, well unfortunately i can't because they were told with alcohol on board, are from a third party and are related to dressing room bust ups, private conversations and speculation on motives (business dealings etc.). I would vouch for my sources with respect to the behind the scenes stuff (they would have serious contacts). But the motivations (business or otherwise) behind some of the protagonists is largely rumor and I certainly have no proof to back them up.

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2009, 11:25:44 PM
I'm only speculating with respect to the players future actions but obviously younger lads who haven't had any career yet might be less inclined to see their chances of ever playing for Cork again go up in smoke.

Everyone in Cork is split, about the only thing they agree on is that there is enough blame to go around.

Someone asked for me to elaborate on some of the stories I alluded to in an earlier post, well unfortunately i can't because they were told with alcohol on board, are from a third party and are related to dressing room bust ups, private conversations and speculation on motives (business dealings etc.). I would vouch for my sources with respect to the behind the scenes stuff (they would have serious contacts). But the motivations (business or otherwise) behind some of the protagonists is largely rumor and I certainly have no proof to back them up.

I'm assuming your alluding to the fact that Ger McCarthy runs a trophy/medals supply business and he gets a fair bit of business from the Cork county board. I'd of thought that was well known at this stage and no big secret.

I wouldn't have thought that contract would be jeopardised whether Ger McCarthy was senior manager or not.

You can IM me the other bust ups and the likes>>

realrebel

why are people bringing gers business into it
it has nothing to do with the situation at all
yes he does orders with the board but so do other people jewellers and trophy makers
he does not do everything with the board
as far as im aware the orders are given on quotes prices etc

johnneycool

Quote from: realrebel on January 08, 2009, 01:38:30 PM
yes he does orders with the board but so do other people jewellers and trophy makers

nobodies disputing those points but I'm almost sure that when Ger had a cut at Sean O'g about how he reaped financial reward from his status as a Cork intercounty hurler, Sean O'g retorted about Ger also getting a few bob from the GAA, nothing untoward in either but the implied vested interests have been done to death in the press already and there's nothing untoward or groundbreaking in what I or Zulu have said.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on January 08, 2009, 01:38:30 PM

Some on here go on about the players business, what Sean Og and co. do in their own time, but that's fine, but when it's Gerald..yet again, no it couldn't be right, sure he's a saint.

I've heard that about Gerald, and it's true, but if it's known of our business what Gerald does then surely it's known of our business what the players do in their spare team. A little bit of fairness now at this stage, or is it too much to ask.