McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

theskull1

Ahhhh
Surley it was the surface temperature of the pot the water was boiling in that burnt them?  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bacon

QuoteDon't forget that Kieran Shannon ghosted Brian Corcoran's book

And a poor enough effort it was.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

theskull1

Another relevant post I believe from the AFR website that I do believe addresses issues which are having a real bearing on this whole sorry saga but seem to have been hidden away from public gaze

Well 14th July, I will say this one more time for you, if some players want the freedom as a result of their hurling ability to make as much money as possible, then they also have responsibilities.

If some of the Cork players want to manage themselves or put in someone who allows them to do so in order to protect their money making activities, then that is simply not on and I as an ordinary supporter do not agree with it.( and I suspect the vast majority of GAA supporters agree with me)

I object to players personally making money out of an amateur game as the GAA is an amateur organisation and it should stay so. The GPA dont want play for play "at the moment," I object to the GPA and the pay for play concept and I am not prepared to accept strikes and the threat of strikes by people who may simply want to preserve their positions on my county's hurling team in order to continue making money for themselves personally. Its as simple as that!.

Its no good players going on about creating the "winning mentality" and " creating excellence" and then criticising every manager in a most personal way, when many people on the ground are suggesting openly that its simply to protect the commercial operations. Strange as it might appear, the Cork Hurling and Football managers do not get paid, they get their expenses.

You know in 2006,I witnessed players from the Cork panel doing their commercial business very close to the All-Ireland final. I did not think this was right! The fact that Kilkenny then proceeded to hammer them may be neither here nor there, but I'm sure if Gerald was opening shops, and appearing at fashion shows and wandering around supermarkets a few days before the All-Ireland final, the GPA lads on the Cork team would have something to say about it............wouldnt they?

Anyway Kieran Shannon seems now to be suggesting that a player -centred approach rather than "player power" approach should be the way. But really isnt this a coaching issue with a manager rather than a strike issue, which it becomes in Cork everytime.

Its very simplistic to say the CCB wants obedience, but why did the players sit down at all with the CCB if they believed that. Of course Kieran suggests we have to ignore the presence of the GPA too. At this stage the GPA would be a busted hand except for the Cork strike! Its the elephant in the room Kieran I'm afraid and it wont go away!

If players want a player centred approach then they have to display a trust and a maturity that is essential to this process, which does not appear to be in Cork. Some players cannot keep away from the media and with several favoured journos waiting in the wings for the scoops, its impossible for any manager in Cork.

youngfella

Is there no end to this debate? Both sides need to wake and see that they are damaging hurling. kilkenny wont stop and wait while both side fight and bitch with eachother. I hope this ends for the good of hurling.
Pull hard and early

orangeman

Quote from: youngfella on November 10, 2008, 11:59:40 PM
Is there no end to this debate? Both sides need to wake and see that they are damaging hurling. kilkenny wont stop and wait while both side fight and bitch with eachother. I hope this ends for the good of hurling.
[/b]

So do I - but the players seemed determined to push the self destruct button this year. Mc Carthy, they should realise is not for moving - His club have issued a statement lending their support both to him and the process of his appointment.

The players will have to take a big portion of humble pie, but it seems they'd rather starve - so I say, let's move on with those who want to play and simply forget about those who don't.

Silky

And it continues so.

McCarthy receives backing from club
11 November 2008

Gerald McCarthy's club St. Finbarr's have issued a statement in support of him and the process used to reappoint him as Cork hurling manager.

The statement "seconded" the appointment of their former chairman, player and manager and also backed their county board delegate and the process that was used to ratify McCarthy's appointment.

Meanwhile, Ger Kelleher, who teaches at St. Colman's College in Fermoy, has said too much time and effort has been put into next week's scheduled Cork v St. Colman's Legends match for it to be cancelled.

A huge question mark hangs over the fixture due to the current dispute in the Rebel County, but Kelleher remains hopeful that it will go ahead. A set of new jerseys had been commissioned, while a souvenir programme has also been produced for the game.

Reillers

McCarthy is addamant that he'll play a team against St. Colmans. Donal Og has left the country, he's off to Zambia for 2 weeks. As it's beggining to look McCarthy will play a team, he's really beginning to get on my nerves, he may have been treated badly in this to an extent but I swear to God if he goes whinging to the media again looking for more sympathy my patience for him will be totally gone. He's playing the media, putting on a show and people are falling for it, but he's really starting to piss me off, the best thing for this is if the people involved to step back from the media.

Whinging about this and that that has been gone over all ready, he's going on about little petty crap, and things like texting everyone about the Colmans game except 5 of the senior players..no prizes for guessing who.
While the main problem is going unnoticed/ignored by him and the media, the CCB. He's still convinced that all of this is about him. He's being played by the CB and he has no idea, which is a pitty.

theskull1

Sure Reillers...go back to your club and forget about it. It's not worth getting all worked up.

realrebel

reillers
the 5 players were not contacted because they said they would not play under ger when they met him in the hotel
why should he contact them if they say this, they made it quite known to him where they stand
as for ger really pissing u off i could say the same for u

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 11, 2008, 09:06:02 PM
McCarthy is addamant that he'll play a team against St. Colmans. Donal Og has left the country, he's off to Zambia for 2 weeks. As it's beggining to look McCarthy will play a team, he's really beginning to get on my nerves, he may have been treated badly in this to an extent but I swear to God if he goes whinging to the media again looking for more sympathy my patience for him will be totally gone. He's playing the media, putting on a show and people are falling for it, but he's really starting to piss me off, the best thing for this is if the people involved to step back from the media.

Whinging about this and that that has been gone over all ready, he's going on about little petty crap, and things like texting everyone about the Colmans game except 5 of the senior players..no prizes for guessing who.
While the main problem is going unnoticed/ignored by him and the media, the CCB. He's still convinced that all of this is about him. He's being played by the CB and he has no idea, which is a pitty.

I thought you loved Donal Og - have you changed your mind about him ? I know he was pissing people off by running to the media etc but I really thought you had a lot of time for him. Why doesn't he act like Mc Carthy and keep his counsel ??

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2008, 10:01:39 PM
Quote from: Reillers on November 11, 2008, 09:06:02 PM

I thought you loved Donal Og - have you changed your mind about him ? I know he was pissing people off by running to the media etc but I really thought you had a lot of time for him. Why doesn't he act like Mc Carthy and keep his counsel ??

I was talking about McCarthy. Keeping his counsell?? The players have gone to the media 3 times, Ben had one, Donal Og has had one interview as well, and then the player statement.
Gerald has been on the radio for what seems like every day, including another interview today. He's been blabbing and crying to the radio which to some extent he had a right to at the start, but it seems like every opportunity he got, he's gone on and on, and he also was the one who made it personal. He's playing the media a bit, making it seem like he's the total victim in it,which he's not, not totally, and it's really beginning to get on my nerves now because of it.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on November 11, 2008, 09:46:24 PM
reillers
the 5 players were not contacted because they said they would not play under ger when they met him in the hotel
why should he contact them if they say this, they made it quite known to him where they stand
as for ger really pissing u off i could say the same for u

They all, 30 players said they wouldn't play. 10 players met him at the hotel. Yet he refused to text 5 of them, it's petty and childish.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on November 11, 2008, 09:38:35 PM
Sure Reillers...go back to your club and forget about it. It's not worth getting all worked up.

He's not pissing off the rest of us I can tell you that. It's easy to understand why someone so close to the inner circle like yourself dismisses the sheer amount of support that GMcC has behind him. The validity of your opinions are compromised.