McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Reillers on October 30, 2008, 04:44:59 PM
Oh my God..yes, yes that's what it's all about. ::) ::)

This is bigger then bloody Kilkenny, this is the team wanting to have a better chance at competing for an AI. Who's better will be settled on the pitch but they just want the best chance of going at it.
But it's bigger then that, the board is killing hurling in Cork, and will continue to do so until someone, the players apparently, stand up to them.

or until someone stands up to the players.

antoinse

Reillers, it is not the CCB that is killing hurling but the players that are too old to keep up with the emerging teams and still want to play. By being in a position to appoint the manager they are ensuring their place on, not an aging but old team. No amount of training will bring that back to them.

Oh and by the way! Why did the players on the selection panel not vote against Gerald? Why did they walk away? It is the true sign of cowardice and they should be asked to go by their own players who they failed to represent. Bully boy tacticts again by a few

deiseach

Quote from: Reillers on October 30, 2008, 04:44:59 PM
This is bigger then bloody Kilkenny, this is the team wanting to have a better chance at competing for an AI. Who's better will be settled on the pitch but they just want the best chance of going at it.
But it's bigger then that, the board is killing hurling in Cork, and will continue to do so until someone, the players apparently, stand up to them.

You see, we always hear this from the players - we just want the best chance. But it is just as plausible that they are trashing around for an explanation for their own inadequacies. The article on the previous page shows Seán Óg praising Ger Mac to the hilt after the Clare game. Then they lose to Kilkenny and Ger Mac isn't up to it. Maybe the manager isn't good enough. But if the players are struggling to keep up with the pace set by the Cats, it's just as likely that it's down to Anno Domini than a few training ground routines. And one thing is for sure - Seán Óg is not in a position to objectively judge which is the reason.

Reillers

Deiseach..The players have nothing to do with the Underage structures, the fixtures at the club scene, the state of our stadium, the fact that we've very little great teams for the Harty Cup..etc.
No they've nothing to do with any of that.

They do and are responisble for advancing Cork hurling at county scene. They know, we all know that Gerald Mac cannot get us the Liam. He's not a good manager but they, the board, impaticularly Murphy, are too preoccupied with settling vendettas.

They it is said kept Gerald in the job because they knew that certain players would step down.

Now that has nothing as of yet to do with the players.

The players wanted a new manager who was good, who gave them the best chance of winning an AI, something Gerald Mac isn't. Even the slowest of fans can see that. Even the most fantatic board supporters can see that.
Yet the board reappointed them.
The players got upset after that.

Only then was it the players came in, after they blatantly, and stupidy reapointed Gerald Mac when it's CLEAR that he's not the best thing for us.

They are not the ones who made all those decisions. They just reaccted. It's got nothing to do with their form..etc.

The players, Sean Og and Co. did come out and say that they supported him. But they were unhappy with him and his training and tactics..etc. for 2 seasons but put up with him and came out backing him, because it was the right thing to do, and because the players along with every man and his dog in Cork thought that there was no way he'd do another tenure.

Someone please, please try to justify Gerald Mac's reappointment without it being under duress. Someone please tell me, who think that this is all about the players using it as an excuse, try to justify his reappointment.

orangeman

Cork senior hurling manager Gerald McCarthy has again insisted that he will not be forced out of his role and has accused senior players of trying to 'appoint their own managers.'

This latest crisis to hit Cork hurling comes of the back of a threat by players to make themselves unavailable for selection should McCarthy not step down as manager.

The Cork playing squad were given two seats on the managerial selection committee following their initial strike earlier in the year, however when it came to McCarthy's reappointment as manager they were reported to have been outvoted by a margin of two to five.

Ben O'Connor yesterday confirmed that the playing staff are unwilling to turn out for their county until McCarthy is removed and said: 'This panel are ready to go the whole distance, we're ready to pull out, tell them to work away next year.' However, McCarthy has now hit back and said: 'I have watched with growing disbelief and distress the way in which this latest Cork hurling controversy has escalated in recent days.

'I have tried my best to understand how players have painted themselves into a corner and have threatened to undertake a course of action that will be hugely detrimental to Cork hurling.

'I have regrettably come to the conclusion that there is a pre-disposition to conflict among a very small number of Cork players,' he added.
'The fundamental issue here is whether players have a right to effectively appoint their own managers or veto the appointment of managers. I don't believe they should. It is undesirable, unworkable and untenable.'

McCarthy also accused senior players, like O'Connor, of exerting pressure on younger and less experienced players, forcing them to tow the line.

'I am desperately saddened at the manner in which younger players have been dragged into something that has nothing to do with hurling or sport. But I fully understand how difficult it must be not to be influenced by senior players whom they hold in such high esteem,' he said.

'If these young players are disposed to learning, they are on the cusp of great careers. My advice to them is to focus on hurling, not on the politics of hurling. They should be true to their ambition to be great hurlers and to represent their County.'

'Some players are coming close to the end of their careers. If, for whatever reason, they do not wish to play under my management next season, fair enough. But for them to contaminate the atmosphere for up and coming, promising players would be a tragedy for everyone involved in Cork hurling,' McCarthy concluded

Reillers

The team says the grass is green, Gerald says the grass is blue. And we go around and around in a circle until somebody..(ie. the board) says or does something.

orangeman

'I have regrettably come to the conclusion that there is a pre-disposition to conflict among a very small number of Cork players,' he added.

Is this fair comment ?

EddieMerx

Reillers even if God himslef took over Cork they wouldn't beat a Kilkenny team playing at their best. Maybe the Cork players need to realise that the Kilkenny players are simply better hurlers than them. Sean Og needed a bit more than a few extra hurling drills to keep up with King Henry this year... set of handcuffs and a cattle prod maybe

Reillers

That's not the point. Who is better will be settled on the playing field, but Cork just want the best man in place possible to give them a chance to challenge.
They don't feel that the right man is in place to do so, we all know he's not the right man. Yet the board put him back in anyway.

EddieMerx

The thing is, who do they want?????? Donal Og by the sounds of it

deiseach

Quote from: Reillers on October 30, 2008, 05:52:07 PM
The team says the grass is green, Gerald says the grass is blue. And we go around and around in a circle until somebody..(ie. the board) says or does something.

Reillers, the notion put about by the players, i.e. that Ger Mac isn't up to the job, is in no way akin to saying 'the grass is green'. This should be self-evident.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on October 30, 2008, 05:59:08 PM
That's not the point. Who is better will be settled on the playing field, but Cork just want the best man in place possible to give them a chance to challenge.
They don't feel that the right man is in place to do so, we all know he's not the right man. Yet the board put him back in anyway.

Who is we ??  ;)

EddieMerx

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 06:14:53 PM

Who is we ??  ;)

Reillers and the other 20 something players ;)

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 05:54:47 PM

Is this fair comment ?

I don't know.
If it was I'd take that and they could walk away. Leaving Shane O Neill, Cadogan, C. Naghton, Sully Og, Nash..etc..leaving the young lads.
And then with other players

This was put up on Rebel Gaa as what one of them thinks is the best team..

Shane Bowen

Conor O'Driscoll
Killian Cronin
Paul O'Leary                                              

Peter Kelly
Wayne Sherlock                                            
Joe Jordan                                                

Ger O'Leary
Graham Callinan                                    

Fintan O'Leary  
Barry Johnson
Ciaran Sheehan                                                                                      

Paudie O'Sullivan                                      
Mark Harrington                                      
Rob White                                

Subs: Daire McSweeney, Pat Ryan, Cian McCarthy, Padraig Gould, Brendan Lombard, Michael Collins, Diarmuid O'Riordan

(That's without the young lads like Naughton, Sully Og, Desmond, Cadogan..etc, it's probably our best team but..)

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on October 30, 2008, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 06:14:53 PM

Who is we ??  ;)

Reillers and the other 20 something players ;)

More like nearly every Cork fan up and down the county, regardless of what's happening now with the players. Ger Mac is not a good manager and he's not the right man for the job.