McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Do you not find it strange Zulu that as soon as Cork exited the hurling championship all the pro-strikers were calling for an end to the debate, everyone else had moved on, the issue is done and dusted, etc,etc. No concluding analysis. Yet some of you, as did the strikers, asked us to wait and see, to withold judgement. But every time we try to introduce the judgement into the debate we're told to move on. And then Reillers comes on indicating that problems, although at U 21 level, still exist. Are you and other pro-strikers telling us he's wrong and there are no longer any problems in Cork?

orangeman

According to this story, he was told to make the threatening phone call by others - wonder who they might have been ? Those who encouraged him to make the call were nice boys.

Ex Cork hurling manager threatened with 'bullet in the head', court hears
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 04:16 PM

Former Cork hurling boss Gerald McCarthy was told he would get a bullet in the back of the head if he did not stand down as manager, when he received a threatening phone call Cork District Court heard today.

Sergeant Martin Canny testified that Mr McCarthy's son, Paul McCarthy (aged 28) picked up the call at 9.24pm on March 5, 2009, at the height of the dispute with the 2008 panel.

"A caller with a Northern accent asked was that the home of Gerald McCarthy, Cork hurling manager. When he was told that it was, the caller said: 'This is the Continuity IRA in Co Tyrone. If he doesn't step down as manager of Cork he is going to get a bullet in the back of the head'," Sgt Canny said.

Trevor O'Reilly (aged 30) who is living with the Simon Community in Cork, pleaded guilty to the charge of sending a message by phone to Gerald McCarthy which was menacing in character.

Sgt. Canny said the call was traced to O'Reilly's phone and that the defendant co-operated with the investigation. Initially he admitted making the call but denied making any threat. Yesterday, he pleaded guilty to making the threatening call.

Judge Con O'Leary wanted to know if Gerald McCarthy took the threat seriously. Sgt. Canny replied: "He did take seriously, he was very distressed when I spoke to him and his family were very distressed.

Defence solicitor, Tom Coughlan, said the defendant was a paranoid schizophrenic and would not have had the capacity to carry out such a threat. Sgt Canny agreed that O'Reilly had no contacts with any subversive organisation that would be able to carry out that threat.

"What was his thinking? Was it his own idea? If he had mental health issues was it suggested to him by someone else?" Judge O'Leary asked.

Mr Coughlan said his view was that it was suggested to him that this was something he should do and he also expressed the view that a second person's voice appeared to have been on the call. However, O'Reilly accepted his responsibility for it.

O'Reilly's parents had a protection order against him and he was convicted of breaching that order three times since 2004. Mr Coughlan said there was no violence on those occasions but O'Reilly did make unwanted contact.

Judge O'Leary put sentencing back to December 3 for a probation report and indicated that he had in mind imposing a community service order instead of a jail sentence. The judge also asked for a victim impact report and he suggested the defence should supply a psychiatric report on O'Reilly.

The defendant was remanded on continuing bail until then on condition that he would have no contact with Gerald McCarthy or any member of his family.

The single charge to which O'Reilly pleaded guilty was that on March 5 at Anderson's Quay, Cork, he sent a message by phone to Gerald McCarthy which was menacing in character, contrary to various Postal and Telecommunication Services Acts and amendments

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/ex-cork-hurling-manager-threatened-with-bullet-in-the-head-court-hears-425750.html#ixzz0QhC8zpLj

Tatler Jack

QuoteAnd then Reillers comes on indicating that problems, although at U 21 level, still exist. Are you and other pro-strikers telling us he's wrong and there are no longer any problems in Cork?

Reillers stuff about theU21s was inaccurate blather that he read on Rebel GAA - his main source of information. If JBM was shafted by the CB why is he serving on a CB  committee looking at future structures of games.

There are people in Cork who  ascribe malign motives to everything the CB do- I know a lot of them. They have all the answers but you will rarely find them active in clubs. The night we had our club meeting to discuss the management issue we had about 60 at it with most of the infrequent attendees baying for his blood and backing the strikers. I have not seen one of them at a club meeting since or any other club activity outside of games. 

The uncomfortable truth is that a decent man was hounded out of his job by a group of self centred players supported by a mob. In view of what happened since and the players discovery that there was more than managerial shortcomings to their lack of success it is no wonder that there is a certain embarassement among the pro strike supporters -hence the desire to "move on".  But maybe as we come to the end of the year we mght reflect on the sheer nastiness of what was done to Gerald and maybe those who were part of that might consider if it was all worth it.

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on September 10, 2009, 08:53:02 PM
QuoteAnd then Reillers comes on indicating that problems, although at U 21 level, still exist. Are you and other pro-strikers telling us he's wrong and there are no longer any problems in Cork?

Reillers stuff about theU21s was inaccurate blather that he read on Rebel GAA - his main source of information. If JBM was shafted by the CB why is he serving on a CB  committee looking at future structures of games.

There are people in Cork who  ascribe malign motives to everything the CB do- I know a lot of them. They have all the answers but you will rarely find them active in clubs. The night we had our club meeting to discuss the management issue we had about 60 at it with most of the infrequent attendees baying for his blood and backing the strikers. I have not seen one of them at a club meeting since or any other club activity outside of games. 

The uncomfortable truth is that a decent man was hounded out of his job by a group of self centred players supported by a mob. In view of what happened since and the players discovery that there was more than managerial shortcomings to their lack of success it is no wonder that there is a certain embarassement among the pro strike supporters -hence the desire to "move on".  But maybe as we come to the end of the year we mght reflect on the sheer nastiness of what was done to Gerald and maybe those who were part of that might consider if it was all worth it.

Tell me, try with less personal attacks (just because you can't come up with something else doesn't mean that you should start attacking me, but I suppose following the pack and all that..) and bullshit this time, which part of the following isn't true, and didn't happen?

That JBM said he wanted the job, but because of CCB actions he changed his mind? Is this true or false?

Or the fact that Frank's boys got the job, with no just reason, was that not true either?

Or the fact that yet again the delegates refused to bring the decision to let Frank Murphy stay on a year, back to the clubs. Is that also just "something I read."

Tell which part of the statement there is not true, and just a load of inaccurate blather?

I don't like commenting on this topic, I've better things to do then discuss the same crap over and over and over again with people who refuse to move on.
I've suggested that this topic be locked and that a relevant one, for whatever Cork bashing your lot feel like doing next, instead of constantly posting random attacks on the players in this one, it'll never end at this rate. I'm surprised how many have kept going seeing as the media have stopped printing things about the players, how ever do your lot get your information..no wonder ye're posts haven't changed, nothing new to talk about.

Bing Crosby .

The Cork 08's will forever be remembered as the shower of shytes that they are . It's that simple . It is all  too obvious now that those who joined the baying mob to denograde and humiliate G Mac are now the very one's who have been humiliated . 
The over the hill 08's , minus G Mac and new manager and all have made the pro-striker mob look like a right shower of fools . That Gardiner is some t it boy .

theskull1

What always grated me about the main protaganists in the strike was that they considered that it was going to be "worth it" for them to take such action and even though many will say "nothing could be further from the truth", I struggle to understand why walking away was not seen as the best option for those who didn't agree with "whatever" in the whole set-up. But that wouldn't make for much of a page turner as I've said before.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on September 10, 2009, 11:38:54 PM
The Cork 08's will forever be remembered as the shower of shytes that they are . It's that simple . It is all  too obvious now that those who joined the baying mob to denograde and humiliate G Mac are now the very one's who have been humiliated . 
The over the hill 08's , minus G Mac and new manager and all have made the pro-striker mob look like a right shower of fools . That Gardiner is some t it boy .

So every club in Cork are a "baying mob" because every club that voted, backed the players 100%. So oh I forgot, everyone is wrong, the supporters, players, club members, everyone it seems but the CCB and poor old Gerald. I forgot. The massive majority could never be right, good Lord no, there most be another explanation somewhere..oh yes, they're all nothing but a "baying mob." They don't have their own minds, they clearly don't have any respect, those hundreds and hundreds of people are just a mob, and those handful of CCB men, well clearly they're 100% right and innocent and clearly have never done a thing wrong.
And don't even start me on that club forum, the report they did, clearly it was just a moment of madness from the mob. Never mind the fact that it was so detailed and clearly so much time was put in to it, by a lot of good honest GAA men who know they are not getting representation..never mind that they're all just a baying mob.

While in reality they have no voice, no representatives, no nothing, and if any of ye bothered to look just a little bit closer, if you looked at what we have to put up with in our clubs, the infurriating things we see happening right in front of us, and nothing happens, or when we're sitting there waiting to get the text about what happened at the CCB meeting, knowing that the text will only be a diasspointing one, but sitting there waiting anyway, and feeling that kick in the guts all the same when you read the text, even when you knew it was coming..
Ye'd see that there's a much bigger problem then there seems to be, and just because it doesn't make it to the front of the sports page, or to any of it doesn't make it any less real. And you know what, if the players actions was the kick in the backside to the clubs, which it seems to have been, then all of it will have been worth it, if in a few years time something called democracy actually exists in Cork GAA. But ye can't even see beyond the petty, bitter little picture that ye've created from little snippets of the media..one day maybe it'll hit ye, but it'll probably be too late.

I'll ask again, can this topic not be closed, it's tiring having the same people post the same inaccurate personal attacks on the players, especially when they've nothing new to say. It's pointless and if a mod ever bothered checking this forum, hopefully they'll lock it..something tells me I'll be holding my breath..whatever else will Dowling and the lot cry about.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: Reillers on September 10, 2009, 11:44:59 PM

So every club in Cork are a "baying mob" because every club that voted, backed the players 100%. So oh I forgot, everyone is wrong, the supporters, players, club members, everyone it seems but the CCB and poor old Gerald. I forgot. The massive majority could never be right, good Lord no, there most be another explanation somewhere..oh yes, they're all nothing but a "baying mob."

I'll ask again, can this topic not be closed, it's tiring having the same people post the same inaccurate personal attacks on the players, especially when they've nothing new to say. It's pointless and if a mod ever bothered checking this forum, hopefully they'll lock it..something tells me I'll be holding my breath..whatever else will Dowling and the lot cry about.

I certainly do not feel that the CCB  are angelic by any means Reliers . But in the cold light of day in all honesty this team went on strike three times FGS . The strike ringleaders played with fire and got badly burned . Cusack in particular is  visibly a lunatic and he was ferociously irresponsible in his actions to call another strike . G Mac was treated scandalously . It's all a very  shameful period for Cork GAA .
It will take a few years untill the very last one of the 08 panel have gone from hurling that   there'll be any respect  held from a nuetrals perspective of  Cork hurling . 

Bing Crosby .

So every club in Cork are a "baying mob" because every club that voted, backed the players 100%. So oh I forgot, everyone is wrong, the supporters, players, club members, everyone it seems but the CCB and poor old Gerald. I forgot. The massive majority could never be right, good Lord no, there most be another explanation somewhere..oh yes, they're all nothing but a "baying mob." They don't have their own minds, they clearly don't have any respect, those hundreds and hundreds of people are just a mob, and those handful of CCB men, well clearly they're 100% right and innocent and clearly have never done a thing wrong.
And don't even start me on that club forum, the report they did, clearly it was just a moment of madness from the mob. Never mind the fact that it was so detailed and clearly so much time was put in to it, by a lot of good honest GAA men who know they are not getting representation..never mind that they're all just a baying mob.

While in reality they have no voice, no representatives, no nothing, and if any of ye bothered to look just a little bit closer, if you looked at what we have to put up with in our clubs, the infurriating things we see happening right in front of us, and nothing happens, or when we're sitting there waiting to get the text about what happened at the CCB meeting, knowing that the text will only be a diasspointing one, but sitting there waiting anyway, and feeling that kick in the guts all the same when you read the text, even when you knew it was coming..
Ye'd see that there's a much bigger problem then there seems to be, and just because it doesn't make it to the front of the sports page, or to any of it doesn't make it any less real. And you know what, if the players actions was the kick in the backside to the clubs, which it seems to have been, then all of it will have been worth it, if in a few years time something called democracy actually exists in Cork GAA. But ye can't even see beyond the petty, bitter little picture that ye've created from little snippets of the media..one day maybe it'll hit ye, but it'll probably be too late.

Relliers  you make your posts far too long . You don't actually think I'm going to read all that do you ?

Shorten your paragraphs and be more concise FGS .

Reillers

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on September 11, 2009, 12:05:22 AM

So every club in Cork are a "baying mob" because every club that voted, backed the players 100%. So oh I forgot, everyone is wrong, the supporters, players, club members, everyone it seems but the CCB and poor old Gerald. I forgot. The massive majority could never be right, good Lord no, there most be another explanation somewhere..oh yes, they're all nothing but a "baying mob."

I certainly do not feel that the CCB  are angelic by any means Reliers . But in the cold light of day in all honesty this team went on strike three times FGS . The strike ringleaders played with fire and got badly burned . Cusack in particular is  visibly a lunatic and he was ferociously irresponsible in his actions to call another strike . G Mac was treated scandalously . It's all a very  shameful period for Cork GAA .
It will take a few years untill the very last one of the 08 panel have gone from hurling that   there'll be any respect  held from a nuetrals perspective of  Cork hurling .

3 strikes 3 very clear reasons. But in 02 it was a different panel really, the 2nd year it was the footballers who went on strike, the hurlers ended up backing them up eventually, and this year it was the current panel. 3 different issues, the common denominator being the CCB.

It is a very shameful period for Cork GAA, and it will continue to be until the people of Cork GAA have their voice. G Mac is a tiny little blip in this whole massive picture, the problem is that you and your like, the ones who whine about it, with very little facts, only basing your arguements on what the media provides, you don't see what we see. Ye don't see what happens in between the front pages of the papers or in between the strikes.

Ye don't see the clubs being suffocated every minute of the day. All this is a much bigger picture, and tbh most peoples concerns in Cork GAA, are not the 08 team, because they see what ye don't. Another incident in the reign of our CCB. 08 in Cork, it wont be remember for the "shameful players" it will be remembered for the actions of the CCB, yet again.

The fact of the matter is that it never was about Gerald, and like Gerald, and even the players actions play only a small role in what happened in the bigger picture.

For us, for most of us that is, it will be seen as the time when the clubs finally stood up and said enoughs enough. God knows what would have happened if it wasn't for the conveniant timing of the resignation of Gerald Mac. The CCB would have had an uprising on their hands.

It will be rememberd for the club forum report, for the clubs all uniting against the common denominator that has had Cork GAA in pieces for years, no not the Cork hurlers, the CCB.

But hey, I forgot, just a mob, not a brain or a sensible head between any of us. Everyone else but the CCB are in the wrong. Right?
And you think for a second anyone here gives a crap what people outside Cork think, especially when they've got clowns coming up with some of the crap you see on the posts here from the likes of Dowling and co. Please. Give me strength..

Hopefully this isn't too long or challenging for your reading abilities, I seperated it out as much as I could. Maybe this time you could respond with a straight answer instead of the typical bullshit you get on here from the type like Dowling.

Like I said, I'm tired of having to see the same old, same old on here. I really don't see why a mod doesn't lock this topic, then people would stop posting the same old bullshit every single time and crying over it again and again and again.

Tatler Jack

QuoteThat JBM said he wanted the job, but because of CCB actions he changed his mind? Is this true or false?

False

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on September 10, 2009, 11:43:41 PM
What always grated me about the main protaganists in the strike was that they considered that it was going to be "worth it" for them to take such action and even though many will say "nothing could be further from the truth", I struggle to understand why walking away was not seen as the best option for those who didn't agree with "whatever" in the whole set-up. But that wouldn't make for much of a page turner as I've said before.

Couldn't agree more - profile,profile,profile.

Sean Og said that he could go to his grave knowing that he had done the right thing and that they had saved Cork hurling. What a load of dung !

The strikers with statements like Sean Og's whipped up mass hysteria in the clubs and not since the civil war has there been a period in history that has caused so much division. The country was split, the county was split, great clubs were divided, families were divided and all for what ???? Nothing - sorry - it wasn't for nothing - the 08 lads like Sean Og and Cusack will be getting their books on the shelves shortly. So the bigger the mob, the more books they can sell to them. Cos there'll be a lot of people who won't be touching them after this.

I said at the time that most people will look back ( on both sides ) and ask what it was all about, was it worth it ? And they are all now starting to look back and the answer is that it wasn't worth dividing everybody and everything over  - there were some very nasty things done during this strike. I'm not going to plough those fields again but the scars are visible. Looking at yesterday's papers of Gerald Mc Carthy having to go to the Court in Cork to give evidence against a man who had been put up to contact him and tell him that if he didn't resign that he would get a bullet in the back of the head.

Shame on the 08 panel for hitting the nuclear button ( again ). Unfortunately they'll not be remembered for the glory days as hard as they might try to.

Zulu

QuoteIn view of what happened since and the players discovery that there was more than managerial shortcomings to their lack of success it is no wonder that there is a certain embarrassment among the pro strike supporters -hence the desire to "move on".

Delusional rubbish.

QuoteThe Cork 08's will forever be remembered as the shower of shytes that they are . It's that simple .

As usual eloquent and completely wrong but at least you're consistant.

QuoteWhat always grated me about the main protaganists in the strike was that they considered that it was going to be "worth it" for them to take such action and even though many will say "nothing could be further from the truth", I struggle to understand why walking away was not seen as the best option for those who didn't agree with "whatever" in the whole set-up.

Do you not struggle to understand why a CB would reappoint an unsuccessful manager after the players told them the didn't want him back or why a manager would want to remain over a group of players that didn't respect him or rate him?

QuoteThe strikers with statements like Sean Og's whipped up mass hysteria in the clubs and not since the civil war has there been a period in history that has caused so much division.

Jesus wept!!!!!! Mass hysteria?????????? The only hysteria is in your own little mind, equating the strike with the civil war, you couldn't make this up.

I've debated this issue with ye but it is clear to me now that ye aren't actually interested in discussing this issue, instead this topic is now simply a forum for ye to vent anger. I'll leave ye and yer demented organ grinder dowling to this topic and I've no doubt it will provide me with a chuckle or two in 2011 and 2012 when dowling sees some connection with a defeat for the Cork hurlers at some pitch opening in Offaly and the strike. There's help out there for ye lads don't be afraid to ask for it.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on September 11, 2009, 09:46:20 AM
QuoteIn view of what happened since and the players discovery that there was more than managerial shortcomings to their lack of success it is no wonder that there is a certain embarrassment among the pro strike supporters -hence the desire to "move on".

Delusional rubbish.

QuoteThe Cork 08's will forever be remembered as the shower of shytes that they are . It's that simple .

As usual eloquent and completely wrong but at least you're consistant.

QuoteWhat always grated me about the main protaganists in the strike was that they considered that it was going to be "worth it" for them to take such action and even though many will say "nothing could be further from the truth", I struggle to understand why walking away was not seen as the best option for those who didn't agree with "whatever" in the whole set-up.

Do you not struggle to understand why a CB would reappoint an unsuccessful manager after the players told them the didn't want him back or why a manager would want to remain over a group of players that didn't respect him or rate him?

QuoteThe strikers with statements like Sean Og's whipped up mass hysteria in the clubs and not since the civil war has there been a period in history that has caused so much division.

Jesus wept!!!!!! Mass hysteria?????????? The only hysteria is in your own little mind, equating the strike with the civil war, you couldn't make this up.

I've debated this issue with ye but it is clear to me now that ye aren't actually interested in discussing this issue, instead this topic is now simply a forum for ye to vent anger. I'll leave ye and yer demented organ grinder dowling to this topic and I've no doubt it will provide me with a chuckle or two in 2011 and 2012 when dowling sees some connection with a defeat for the Cork hurlers at some pitch opening in Offaly and the strike. There's help out there for ye lads don't be afraid to ask for it.

Hopefully the book sales will go well and the mobsters are happy when they read about the "heroes" and how they fought like warriors for their own very worthy "cause".
Their on field exploits won't take up a lot of chapters.