McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

The point is McGurn only said he'd meet with McCarthy but Gerald went ahead and announced he had accepted and would join the staff. This famous weight training that he said that the young players are on (weights training that most top counties have started by now) that were apparently set up by McGurn, which they weren't. My point is he lied, he blatantly lied, nothing but a PR stunt. He'd the nerve to come out and say that it was a major coup. It was something made him and the CB in a difficult time look good. But now we see that McGurn only ever said he'd meet him, and is very concerned about the players stand off. My point is that if the players had done this the media (and people on here) would be having a "field day."

He's loosing credibility

Following this slip up, you begin to question what else has he misled the Cork public about through the media in the last few weeks. He's a legend he is but the fact that he, if it's true, came out and actually said that he was on board when McGurn said nothing of the sort, just makes him more and more like the CB. Like he's on record saying MuGurn is on board,

"I am delighted to announce that Aodhan, Martin and Mike are joining my backroom team, " said McCarthy. Mike joining us is a great coup. He is known all over the world for his work with the Irish rugby team and the Ospreys. Already the squad have been given their weight programmes for the coming months. 

Those quotes have been in the Examiner, among other papers, that exact same quotes.

How many PR stunts has Gerald pulled and failed and continues to engage the media)and get support from them (while the players don't say a word.)

The players hesitate when it comes to mediation because they struggle to believe that anything can be gained from it, and I don't blame them, I see very little that they can achieve out of mediation, but I'd like it if they gave it a try and they are considering it apparently. But mediation is not a possible solution with this kind of carry on coming from Ger Mac, he's on the CB's side and he as it's been coming now for weeks, just not shown in the day of light, that he is every bit as vindictive as the officers at the top table.

I encourage the players to hold out as the only solution is for Ger Mac to resign or be sacked for Cork hurling to move forward.  A giant step forward could be taken if a few CB officers likewise stepped down which is extremely unlikely.   

Reillers

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=80583-qqqx=1.asp

Monday, December 22, 2008

McGurn blow for Rebel boss McCarthy

By Michael Moynihan

FORMER Ireland rugby fitness coach Mike McGurn  8)Cork senior hurling manager Gerald McCarthy next month, casting doubt over his possible involvement with the Leeside hurlers.

The week before the Cork County Board convention, on December 13, McCarthy announced that McGurn would be joining his backroom team, but media reports yesterday suggested that the former Ireland rugby fitness trainer had not officially committed to joining McCarthy, with the pair scheduled to meet in early January when Ospreys meet Munster.

The news got worse for the Cork manager last evening when McGurn's representatives stressed that he had a contract with the Ospreys professional rugby side and would not be meeting the Cork hurling manager in the new year.

"Mike will not be meeting anyone from the Cork GAA about this matter," said his agent, John Baker, last night. "Whatever about his plans down the line, he fully intends to honour the contract he has with Ospreys in Wales." Yesterday's reports added that McGurn was unhappy with suggestions that he had committed to training the Leeside hurlers at a time when he had yet to formalise arrangements with Cork GAA chiefs.

The news will come as a blow to McCarthy, who announced two weeks ago that his fitness trainers would be McGurn, former Kerry footballer Aodhan MacGearailt and former Cork minor hurling trainer Martin McSweeney.

At the time McCarthy said: "I am delighted to announce that Aodhan, Martin and Mike are joining my backroom team. It is an exciting time for us, and to have three new guys coming on board. Their fitness experience can only benefit the squad.

"Mike (McGurn) joining us is a great coup. He is known all over the world for his work with the Irish rugby team and the Ospreys."

McGurn, a former Irish cross-country and athletics international, joined the IRFU in January 2002 and was the longest-serving conditioning coach in international rugby when he left the post in April.

He was fitness coach for the St Helens team that won the treble of Challenge Cup, Super League and World Club Championship in 2000-1 and has worked in similar roles for Hull City FC and Leinster Rugby.

He heads the Ospreys conditioning team but the Fermanagh native worked with his county's Gaelic footballers last season and was also highly praised for his involvement with the Irish International Rules side this year, which beat its Australian competitors in last month's test series. He has also helped train boxer Bernard Dunne.

orangeman

Will there be a ceasefire called for Christmas and the New Year similar to what the Provos used to do around this time ??

Reillers

Ceasefire..If McCarthy keeps carrying on like this (and it's not the first time he's done it) then I don't know.

The players hate talking to the media, and their intentions were that when they were it was only facts, only their side of the story, their story they'd tell. Nothing more nothing less, but McCarthy made it personal, ya he was hurt, but he was on the radio all the time looking for sympathy votes by, at times, blatantly lying to make the players look bad and get himself points, and now he's at it again with the McGurn thing, but the players have tried to keep the pretty much out of the media, like even now we haven't heard anything from them in a long time, but McCarthy made it personal, the players didn't want to engage in a bitching session with McCarthy in the papers, and they didn't really which I think lost them the PR battle in a sense, McCarthy, I've great respect for him as a player, I do, but he made it personal and everytime there was a chance of a light at the end of the tunell he turned it into an oncomming train. He's not helping matters at all.

I wouldn't expect anything more from the players till after Christmas.
There will be movement after Chistmas, or so I'm told, can't really say more then that at the minute but there's supposed to be movement after Christmas if nothings solved. What kind of movement is open to your interpretation.

cornafean

Quote from: Reillers on December 22, 2008, 12:36:29 PM
Yesterday's reports added that McGurn was unhappy with suggestions that he had committed to training the Leeside hurlers at a time when he had yet to formalise arrangements with Cork GAA chiefs.

The news will come as a blow to McCarthy, who announced two weeks ago that his fitness trainers would be McGurn, former Kerry footballer Aodhan MacGearailt and former Cork minor hurling trainer Martin McSweeney.

At the time McCarthy said: "I am delighted to announce that Aodhan, Martin and Mike are joining my backroom team. It is an exciting time for us, and to have three new guys coming on board. Their fitness experience can only benefit the squad.

"Mike (McGurn) joining us is a great coup. He is known all over the world for his work with the Irish rugby team and the Ospreys."

So?  Its not as if the man can't be replaced. Mickey Harte caused controversy by sacking his coach Paddy Tally prior to the 2005 season, and Tyrone went on to win the All Ireland. Stephen O'Neill's decision to quit the Tyrone squad earlier this year caused more problems for Harte. We all know what happened later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/3661568.stm
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

cornafean

Quote from: Reillers on December 22, 2008, 12:07:00 PM
My point is he lied, he blatantly lied, nothing but a PR stunt.

He's loosing credibility

Following this slip up, you begin to question what else has he misled the Cork public about through the media in the last few weeks.

Those are pretty serious accusations. I sincerely hope that you have the evidence to support them.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Reillers

If it's true there's the evidence. If it's not I take it back.

Reillers

Quote from: cornafean on December 22, 2008, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 22, 2008, 12:36:29 PM
Yesterday's reports added that McGurn was unhappy with suggestions that he had committed to training the Leeside hurlers at a time when he had yet to formalise arrangements with Cork GAA chiefs.

So?  Its not as if the man can't be replaced. Mickey Harte caused controversy by sacking his coach Paddy Tally prior to the 2005 season, and Tyrone went on to win the All Ireland. Stephen O'Neill's decision to quit the Tyrone squad earlier this year caused more problems for Harte. We all know what happened later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/3661568.stm

My point is that he all ready said that he would take the job..that announcemt was a massive boost to everyone. If he just did it for a PR stunt then it's pretty low. O Neill's decision is nothing like this. If McGurn comes on fantastic, but what I'm pissed off about is the fact that we were told he had taken the job and now McGurn's basically saying he only agreed to meet, and now he's not meeting him at all and pretty pissed off.

What also annoys me is the fact that I or anybody else for that matter saw this coming when he announced it. We were all played for fools yet again by the Cork set up and manager. Really, really are the laughing stock of the country yet again. I really thought that the CB were bending over backwards to get the best, I knew there would be a catch, they're bending over backwards alright to make us all look like a joke.

This is actually getting worse, it's that even possible.

You could forgive some the comments and interviews given by the players by putting it down to inexperience, youthfulness etc. They don't like dealing with the media and always seem to come across stand-offish. But the board and McCarthy are supposed to be the reasoned ones, with all the experience and maturity gathered over the years. But no, not a chance.
The CCB are a walking shame and disaster and should resign en-mass over this whole debacle, Cork GAA is going into the gutter. We're a joke, a complete joke and it does my head in because it's affecting the hurling and we've got the players to get us there and win us the title. But no, we've to get through a brick wall, to out biggest fighting before we even get on the pitch. Why can't we be like any other top county. Why can't we get the support of a CB like we should, instead of this crap.

realrebel

reillers
you are calling ger mac a liar and its here to prove it. first of all u did not hear the converstion between ger and mike so who the f**k are u calling him a liar, when u dont know what was said between them
whats if mike agreed to help out and his club got wind of it and tole him his is not allowed to help other teams
nobody knows what went on except him and mike and i know ger very very well and he told me mike did give his name to go forward
maybe mike changed his mind? we dont know
ur just going whats on the papers so u know f**k all bout so dont be calling him a liar untill u know the facts
plus i am going to show him what u have written here about him total disgrace u are

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on December 22, 2008, 05:37:42 PM
reillers
you are calling ger mac a liar and its here to prove it. first of all u did not hear the converstion between ger and mike so who the f**k are u calling him a liar, when u dont know what was said between them
whats if mike agreed to help out and his club got wind of it and tole him his is not allowed to help other teams
nobody knows what went on except him and mike and i know ger very very well and he told me mike did give his name to go forward
maybe mike changed his mind? we dont know
ur just going whats on the papers so u know f**k all bout so dont be calling him a liar untill u know the facts
plus i am going to show him what u have written here about him total disgrace u are

From what it's says here it shows that he was lying, that's hard cold facts. If it is wrong I take it back, I said that. I'm going on what the papers say, they're not wrong about everything, now if it was just one paper saying it I'd question it, if different papers were using different quotes I'd question it, but they're not. Now I know Gerald I've met him more then a few times he is a nice lad. But he is also the same person who made it personal with the players, he's the same person who leaked the personal confidential document to make the players look bad, this, if true, is another layer on top. Now like I said if it's wrong and McGurn is lying then I sincerley take it back, but going from this, it means he was lying, ie a liar. If you lie, you are a liar. And if you think it's just me, go take a wonder over to Rebel Gaa.

If the players had done something like this they wouldn't be given the time of day, but yere willing to give McCarthy who's had a long list of botch ups in the media when it came to commenting on the players and the situation the benefit of the doubt.

Why should we give someone who has done some very vendictive things in the media the benefit of the doubt when the players get hung on to try for it if they did anything, people got annoyed at them for telling the truth, so where's the line.

Get over yourself. Facts are facts, from these facts it shows he was lying, he even went on to say it was a coup, blowing his own trumpet, now if there's a story in there that contradicts this, then I will apologise.
He is a legend of a player, but I will call it as it is, I don't like liars and I would be just as fast calling the players one if they had done the same thing. Just because he's a legend, which he is, doesn't mean I should have to sugarcoat it and not tell the truth because that would make me a liar.

realrebel

speaking of rebel gaa what name are u under because ur under reillers why is that

Reillers

Reillers, it might have something to do with the second name.
Who am I on Rebel GAA..after you just taring me down like that, please, you'll have to figure that one out on your own.

realrebel

are u stfrancis because im watching those treads and the messages are the same all the time beween u
why do u have to go under different names

theskull1

I don't believe that Reillers is not a player. The vociferousness and persistence of his attacks on Ger McC is surley too much for a normal fan to be at. His hump of hate coupled with his in depth strikers perspective tells me he is one of the 30. A spineless bunch if they are resorting to internet forums to continually spew hate filled propaganda in an attempt to persuade the dumb masses to agree with their militant action
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on December 22, 2008, 06:29:30 PM
I don't believe that Reillers is not a player. The vociferousness and persistence of his attacks on Ger McC is surley too much for a normal fan to be at. His hump of hate coupled with his in depth strikers perspective tells me he is one of the 30. A spineless bunch if they are resorting to internet forums to continually spew hate filled propaganda in an attempt to persuade the dumb masses to agree with their militant action

For the love of God. I could say that ye are one of the CB memebers or at times Frank himself because of ye're posts. And No, for the millionth time I'm not a player.