ROSCOMMON Club wins Mayo Championship

Started by Rossfan, October 20, 2008, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Which county team do Ballagh GAA people and club members support?

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Hardy on October 21, 2008, 04:55:51 PM

That's an easy one.... Mayo. Of the starting 15 only Gaz Conway is a ross supporter. Rossies will throw out the old sh1te of Andy being one, he used to be but he isn't anymore for obvious reasons and  usually starts the Mayo sings songs after we beat Ross!

The management team of Frank Kelly, James Mitchell, Christy McCann are all staunch Mayo supporters too. Ballagh is in Ross but when you have lads travelling the length and breadth of County Mayo from U-10 up, they are only going to want to play for one county. there are always exceptions of course, there are a few Ross supporters in the club but they are seriously out-numbered. Turlough if you're a Ballagh man, I think you would acknowledge that yourself, I'm sure it annoys a ross man like you but it's the way I see it whenever I'm at training, going to matches etc, it's Mayo jerseys on nearly all the kids.

Rossfan

Back in 2004 I was visiting an oul relation of mine in ROSCOMMON hospital . There was an oul Ballagh lad in the ward and it was great crack listening to him tellin tales of  his efforts to stop the Traitors in the town putting up rhubarb flags on his house and adjacent to it.
He succeeded alright which is more than they did in Croke Park. ;)

FREE BALLAGH NOW !!!!!!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 21, 2008, 04:46:36 PM
The woman has ties to Tom Parsons (forget the exact relationship) and they are definitely Mayo people...

I dont know Parsons or his family so its second hand info, but Sligo people tell me both parents are sligo born and bred and his father being a stauch sligo supporter. But on another forum one lad said his mother is from donegal. But no one has said there mayo people, and ive been whinging now for about 5 months.

I know for a fact toms uncle played for Sligo aswell. I spoke to a man who said he works with Toms father, he backed up that his father is stauch sligo man, hard to believe he lets tom play for mayo so, but id say deep down his father would prefer he play for sligo. The why? is a big question and if i ever met him thats what id ask.. Ive been told its because he always wants to play with his friends but that doesnt hold water with county maybe at club level. His only link to mayo is he went to school there and thats how he qualified. There is no confusion about where hes from, Bellaghy is sligo no questions asked and he live inside sligos border there.

All i can say im never going to stop highlighting till i know the supply has stopped to mayo, im going to my best with all my contacts to make sure Sligo Clubs fully support Curry and Sligo CB in getting all sligo people in belleghy to play with sligo. Its wrong and its costing us big time and it will stop some day mark my words if i have to knock on every door in bellaghy myself.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

spectator

Quote from: muppet on October 21, 2008, 12:14:00 PM

QuoteThe question was would Ballaghaderreen and Edmondstown remain in Mayo or would the boundaries be changed to allow them to remain in the Castlerea area?
How did this question arise? If Ballaghaderreen and and Edmonstown were in Mayo what was the problem?

Reading between the lines, the article implies Ballagh was in the Castlerea Union (ie Roscommon today) for some purposes pre-1898. Perhaps they voted in that electoral district, or the roads were looked after by that juristiction, for example.

It seems Ballagh had closer links to modern day Roscommon pre-1898 than is generally known. It'd be well worth investigating further, as this is an interesting angle I've not come across before.

I expect the ratepayers were landowners, property owners and local business people. When I was young I heard an elderly neighbour talk of a vote which was held where the Ballagh people elected to leave Mayo for Ros - perhaps the ratepayers decision is also what he was referring to.

Quote from: Hardy on October 21, 2008, 04:55:51 PM

As Oirthear said above, a majority of club members currently favour Mayo. There are a good few Rossies involved too, the numbers tends to fluctuate for various reasons, eg, which county is on top in any given decade. Generally, the town itself is fairly evenly split, with a nice few Sligo supporters around too, Sligo actually being nearer to Ballagh than Mayo.

Here's one for ye - Séan Kilbride played for Ballagh on ' 72 winning team, went on to play for Mayo for several years, before switching to his boyhood heroes The Rossies in the late seventies. Sure it's no wonder outsiders find Ballagh so hard to figure out ;)

Back in the here and now, a really interesting scenario would be to see lads like Gaz Conway being selected by Fergal O'Donnell to play for Ros ...  :P

Turlough, I remember being at that game - if I'm not mistaken you captained Ballagh that day in McHale Park?

magpie seanie

QuoteThe woman has ties to Tom Parsons (forget the exact relationship) and they are definitely Mayo people...

Well you'd better check that out again Croi. I'm reliably informed that the generation of his family before him all played for Curry in Sligo.

I would have thought that Mayo was a big enough county without stealing players from their neighbours. Maybe that's why they are cursed on All-Ireland day. The House of Pain ye brought on yourselves. Karma.

the Deel Rover

How did mayo steal  parsons he made his decision a long time ago to play for charlestown not curry  what are mayo meant to do Seanie just leave him there is it? Obviously he has been playing for charlestown for years played underage for mayo and played senior i cant see what else mayo should do. As for Karma what other players from sligo have played fro mayo in any of the All Ireland Finals?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 21, 2008, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 21, 2008, 04:46:36 PM
The woman has ties to Tom Parsons (forget the exact relationship) and they are definitely Mayo people...

I dont know Parsons or his family so its second hand info, but Sligo people tell me both parents are sligo born and bred and his father being a stauch sligo supporter. But on another forum one lad said his mother is from donegal. But no one has said there mayo people, and ive been whinging now for about 5 months.

I know for a fact toms uncle played for Sligo aswell. I spoke to a man who said he works with Toms father, he backed up that his father is stauch sligo man, hard to believe he lets tom play for mayo so, but id say deep down his father would prefer he play for sligo. The why? is a big question and if i ever met him thats what id ask.. Ive been told its because he always wants to play with his friends but that doesnt hold water with county maybe at club level. His only link to mayo is he went to school there and thats how he qualified. There is no confusion about where hes from, Bellaghy is sligo no questions asked and he live inside sligos border there.

All i can say im never going to stop highlighting till i know the supply has stopped to mayo, im going to my best with all my contacts to make sure Sligo Clubs fully support Curry and Sligo CB in getting all sligo people in belleghy to play with sligo. Its wrong and its costing us big time and it will stop some day mark my words if i have to knock on every door in bellaghy myself.
From reading throught he previous posts is not half the reason parsons went to charlestown the fault of the county board and/or the club?
I wish you luck in your quest Sligonian but if you annoy as many here as you do in real life then you wont be making the situation any better.

StoneWall

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 21, 2008, 07:14:48 PM

SLIGONIAN get a life. You'd be better advised putting you energy into a club in Sligo. If his father is such a staunch Sligo man I'm sure if Belleghy were any way up to scratch good there's no way in hell that he'd let him play for a Mayo club! I agree if he's in the parish of Belleghy he should be playing with them but there wasn't a peep out of you until he played for Mayo so it's really Belleghy you have at heart!

As for Rossfan Ballagh has always and will always play in Mayo and there club players will always play for Mayo so get over it!

Ye pair are a microcosm of the problem with football in Sligo and Ros not focusing on the important things. Even if Sligo had Bellaghy and Ros had Ballagh or Sligo and Ros were put together ye still wouldn't regularly challenge Mayo! Muppets the pair of ye!

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: StoneWall on October 22, 2008, 05:08:57 PM

Ye pair are a microcosm of the problem with football in Sligo and Ros not focusing on the important things. Even if Sligo had Bellaghy and Ros had Ballagh or Sligo and Ros were put together ye still wouldn't regularly challenge Mayo! Muppets the pair of ye!

I personally have no problem with any Ballagh player playing with Mayo. It is just not an issue for me. If a player opts for Mayo then all the best to him. If Andy Moran goes on and wins an AI with Mayo then more power to him.

I do however have an issue with 'muppets' like stone wall and his supeiority complex, maybe more time should be spent focusing on Mayo football and the problems than putting the likes of Ros and Sligo down. Go over you GAA history books and you will see there were many times Roscommon challenged ye in the past and hopefully for the good of Connaugh football will in the future again..

StoneWall

Rossfan

.............1970,1972, 1977,1978,1979,1980,1986,1991.............
and that's without "looking it up"
Ballaghadereen is in CO ROSCOMMON. FULL STOP. When the traitorous GAA club wanted money what Council gave it to them --- Ros Co Co as Mayo Co Co cannot legally give them anything.
And Stone Wall one thing Ros is better tha Mayo at -- Batin Kerry in All Ireland Finals

FREE BALLAGH
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 22, 2008, 02:02:17 PM
How did mayo steal  parsons he made his decision a long time ago to play for charlestown not curry  what are mayo meant to do Seanie just leave him there is it? Obviously he has been playing for charlestown for years played underage for mayo and played senior i cant see what else mayo should do. As for Karma what other players from sligo have played fro mayo in any of the All Ireland Finals?

Im a great believer in Karma, I should know when i criticise people it comesback at me 10 fold. But Mayos badluck is karma for all there wrong doings, long may it continue till maybe they leave our players alone. I might want mayo to win an all ireland but not with parsons, i hope ye win nothing and as long as parsons wears red and green i hope he wins nothing as well.

How did they not steal Parsons so Deel Rover enlighten us? Mayo know he lives in Bellaghy dont they, know hes a Sligoman Dont they? Yee have yer 52 clubs to our 26 but yee cant help yereselves can yee Is it not enough that yee have 800 club players to our 400 approx. Will i call into CASEYS and persuade john to play for sligo, do curry do that no...because we know its wrong.

And stonewall MY LIFE IS SLIGO FOOTBALL first and foremost and im not ashamed to say it. Its clear you havnt a clue what your on about, Bellaghy is in CURRY GAA CLUB area and let me tell you curry is an outstanding club, won the minor sligo championship this yr, have produced great players, contested sligo senior club championships last few yrs and won it and represented the county well by hammering Ballina, in FACT i would say there are better club than Charlestown over the last 10yrs but it would be tight. But if the Bellaghy lads played with CURRY there would be no contest.

Its already cost sligo and curry, sligo u21s should of won connacht last yr but with parsons we definitly would of, with curry if they had parsons midfield they would of beaten harps. Ive no doubt about that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ildanach

Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2008, 06:52:06 PM
.............1970,1972, 1977,1978,1979,1980,1986,1991.............
and that's without "looking it up"
Connacht Senior title             Minor Titles            U21 titles
Mayo                                        41                                35                      21
Roscommon                              19                                 11                      5

there you go ross, i looked it up for you ;D
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ludermor

Fair play Sligonian i was having a really shit day but you cheer me up all the time.