ROSCOMMON Club wins Mayo Championship

Started by Rossfan, October 20, 2008, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 21, 2008, 11:02:08 AM
Congrats Turlough if you are one of the Current side and mayo championship winners.

When did Ballaghadreen last win the mayo championship (if ever)

1972 Lynchbhoy
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Congrats Turlough, whether you were part of the 1972 or 2008 squads.

Spectator your post is interesting but doesn't necessarily contradict mine.

QuoteUnless each union was large enough to form a county district the boundary of the county had to be changed. Castlerea had seventeen unions in Roscommon and Ballaghaderreen and Edmondstown were in Mayo. The question was would Ballaghaderreen and Edmondstown remain in Mayo or would the boundaries be changed to allow them to remain in the Castlerea area? There was much discussion and arguments and the final decision was left to the ratepayers who decided that it would be entirely against their interest to add them to the Swinford Union. So the county borders were redrawn in favour of Roscommon. Many people did not look favourably in this and the late James Dillon of 'Monica Duffs' never accepted it and always had Ballaghaderreen Co. Mayo printed on his tea bags. The only question asked by strangers today is "Why do Ballaghaderreen GAA play with Mayo?" Few have the answer

QuoteThe question was would Ballaghaderreen and Edmondstown remain in Mayo or would the boundaries be changed to allow them to remain in the Castlerea area?
How did this question arise? If Ballaghaderreen and and Edmonstown were in Mayo what was the problem?

QuoteThere was much discussion and arguments and the final decision was left to the ratepayers who decided that it would be entirely against their interest to add them to the Swinford Union.
Who were the ratepayers? Read any book on the period and it will tell you that the west of Ireland was the poorest place in Europe at the time. It is hard to imagine that the chronically poor peasants had to pay rates but maybe they did. Either way if taxes were lower in Roscommon than in Mayo then the statement 'it would be entirely against their interest to add them to the Swinford Union' doesn't contradict my assertion.

The Dillon I was referring to was John Dillon of the Home Rule party but I am open to correction on that. Either it was a boundary change driven by London and not the Irish so I view it much the same way as I view the border, i.e. nothing to do with the Gaa.

MWWSI 2017

billy the kid

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on October 20, 2008, 10:32:03 PM
We have just won our 4th Derry title in 8 years in Derry.   ;)

DYJL is on about his own clb Ballinderry a great team who have now won 10 Derry senior titles 2 Ulsters and an All Ireland club very proud footballing trdition there.  Just dont mention the fact that half the club sits in Tyrone and half the players live in Tyrone  :o :o  Always been a sore point.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Rossie11

Fair play Turlough and its great for both sides of the town.
I think the animosity has calmed somewhat since the 2006 all ireland when both teams were playing Kerry.

Some funny incidents down the years though.
Andy Moran celebrating Gerry Lohans injury time winning goal in the 2001 Connacht final whilst sitting in a Mayo gear with the rest of the Mayo minors!!
4 rossies representing Mayo in handball in the community games go up to collect their gold medals in ross jerseys!!

magpie seanie

QuoteWell at least it was better than those sligo b**tards winning

If there were a few more Sligomen on the team Charlestown might have done it.  ;)

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Rossie11 on October 21, 2008, 01:36:14 PM
Andy Moran celebrating Gerry Lohans injury time winning goal in the 2001 Connacht final whilst sitting in a Mayo gear with the rest of the Mayo minors!!
4 rossies representing Mayo in handball in the community games go up to collect their goal medals in ross jerseys!!

Funny stuff  :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on October 21, 2008, 01:46:42 PM
4 rossies representing Mayo in handball in the community games go up to collect their goal medals in ross jerseys!!

Does it not piss off the rossies that yeve lost alot of players that would make yee better. I know i go on about it but Tom parsons thing its impossible to see the funny side of it because its costing us and that angers me. And i suppose the TP situation is alot more clearcut than ballaghdereen situation.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 21, 2008, 03:18:37 PM

Does it not piss off the rossies that yeve lost alot of players that would make yee better. I know i go on about it but Tom parsons thing its impossible to see the funny side of it because its costing us and that angers me. And i suppose the TP situation is alot more clearcut than ballaghdereen situation.

What's the Tom Parson's situation Sligonian?

stirs the pot and stands back

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 21, 2008, 03:26:35 PM

:D :D :D :D Very good Gbb
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 21, 2008, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 21, 2008, 03:26:35 PM

:D :D :D :D Very good Gbb

Sure when he is this disloyal to sligo what makes mayo people think he wont turn his back on yee, i hope plays class out in OZ for one reason only, he gets recruited and then well see whos laughing then :D :D

I pray that scenario happens. As long as he doenst play with mayo i'll be happy ;D.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Does Parsons have any younger brothers who play ball and if he does where would their allegiances lie? Is it possible he could have a younger brother that would want to play for Sligo for instance?

mannix

this can hardly be an excuse for lame duck teams being produced in sligo and roscommon, can it?

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: mannix on October 21, 2008, 04:31:29 PM
this can hardly be an excuse for lame duck teams being produced in sligo and roscommon, can it?

It definitely cannot. What's yer excuse?? ::)

Croí na hÉireann

The woman has ties to Tom Parsons (forget the exact relationship) and they are definitely Mayo people...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: billy the kid on October 21, 2008, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on October 20, 2008, 10:32:03 PM
We have just won our 4th Derry title in 8 years in Derry.   ;)

DYJL is on about his own clb Ballinderry a great team who have now won 10 Derry senior titles 2 Ulsters and an All Ireland club very proud footballing trdition there.  Just dont mention the fact that half the club sits in Tyrone and half the players live in Tyrone  :o :o  Always been a sore point.

Billy, why do you think I posted in this particular thread.  Of course I was alluding to the fact that a club which is half made up of Tyrone men is dominating at all ages in Derry.  Believe me, it seems to be a sore point for everyone else in Derry, but not for us Shamrocks.   ;D
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth