Ryanair - Something to make you laugh in these time of Global Recession

Started by Louth Exile, October 20, 2008, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2012, 07:27:28 PM
Its amazing the snobby attitude people have to flying, I'd love to know where it comes from. For example you can get a bus eireann bus from North Donegal to Dublin and it will probably take you 3 hours. You won't a seat reserved and you get a smiley stewardess or free coffee. Would you pay 30% more for that luxury. But come to flying and we get all this shite about aer lingus being better garbage. I fly at least once a week to europe. My first port of call is always Ryanair as they are the cheapest (i wouldn't even bother compare the others anymore as i've never found them cheaper). I've had one flight late in 3 years and I've never had my bag go missing. Thats all I care about. I also fly aerlingus to some places like stuttgart or munich. They are fine but again 30-50% more expensive. You get the same shite about bag size, charged for bag check ins and weight of bags. The only difference is you get a seat number - fantastic. Lufthansa charge 70% more and they give you a seat number and a piece of cake.

The recent case of the ill children is bullshit. What is the ryanair worker supposed to do, tell them its ok to have heavy bags as they are ill. What if they are blind, crippled, old - do you think the worker should just make it up as they go along. Unless the people in charge of this group live on Mars they will know that all airlines have weight restrictions. Its to do with fuel consumption and the like. Should people with no luggage pay for those that choose to bring anything they want? The media love having a go at one of Irelands most successful companies and i don't get it.

Great post Itchy.

heffo

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2012, 07:27:28 PM
Its amazing the snobby attitude people have to flying, I'd love to know where it comes from. For example you can get a bus eireann bus from North Donegal to Dublin and it will probably take you 3 hours. You won't a seat reserved and you get a smiley stewardess or free coffee. Would you pay 30% more for that luxury. But come to flying and we get all this shite about aer lingus being better garbage. I fly at least once a week to europe. My first port of call is always Ryanair as they are the cheapest (i wouldn't even bother compare the others anymore as i've never found them cheaper). I've had one flight late in 3 years and I've never had my bag go missing. Thats all I care about. I also fly aerlingus to some places like stuttgart or munich. They are fine but again 30-50% more expensive. You get the same shite about bag size, charged for bag check ins and weight of bags. The only difference is you get a seat number - fantastic. Lufthansa charge 70% more and they give you a seat number and a piece of cake.

That's great that you have that view.

I choose Aer Lingus as I can choose a seat with leg room, can be the first to board the plane, get fast track security & get lounge access. All of these things are important to me as a frequent travellers. I can also bring a laptop + suitcase on board.

I can't use your comparison with a bus to Donegal as I'd never dream of taking a three hour bus to Donegal.

tommysmith

You can be the first to board with Ryanair also.

Yes Aer Lingus will offer lounges etc for frequent flyers thats good of them.

With Ryanair everyone at this stage should know what you get with them cheap flights but if you dont bring a boarding pass or are over baggage weight you will pay and pay alot.  I have never had any problem with any Ryanair flight, i must say i am not a frequent flyer but have flown with them about 10 times and found the cabin staff to be friendly.

heffo

Quote from: tommysmith on December 14, 2012, 09:36:14 AM
You can be the first to board with Ryanair also.

You can in theory yes.

In some airports despite buying a priority boarding they don't split the queues, sometimes they change the gate, sometimes you have your boarding pass accepted first and get to be the first person to stand on the bus to bring you to the plane.

There is no comparison to flying Aer Lingus imo.

tommysmith

Quote from: heffo on December 14, 2012, 09:42:15 AM

I would agree that Aerlingus are slighty better and thats why some people will pay more to fly with them when Ryanair are cheaper to go to the same airport.

Here is an  post that i read on another forum about ryanair.

QuoteYou pays your money and you read the small print, then there will be no surprises for you.
No reserved seats, long treks to/from gates and airports, small weight allowances.

Yes Ryanair are very annoying, but it's like being crammed onto a holiday bus in Ibiza on your Summer holidays with lots of drunk English. You just tolerate it for 2 hours and you get to where you want to be. Travelling is not a meaningful event with 5 course meals and private butlers, just get me (and me luggage) from Airport A to Airport B please.

heffo

Quote from: tommysmith on December 14, 2012, 09:46:31 AM
Quote from: heffo on December 14, 2012, 09:42:15 AM

I would agree that Aerlingus are slighty better and thats why some people will pay more to fly with them when Ryanair are cheaper to go to the same airport.

Here is an  post that i read on another forum about ryanair.

QuoteYou pays your money and you read the small print, then there will be no surprises for you.
No reserved seats, long treks to/from gates and airports, small weight allowances.

Yes Ryanair are very annoying, but it's like being crammed onto a holiday bus in Ibiza on your Summer holidays with lots of drunk English. You just tolerate it for 2 hours and you get to where you want to be. Travelling is not a meaningful event with 5 course meals and private butlers, just get me (and me luggage) from Airport A to Airport B please.

I'm not anti-Ryanair or O'Leary - I've no sympathy for moaners complaining about extra charges etc with them.

I was responding to the man of the people post who thought those who chose to fly Aer Lingus for their job were snobs.

tommysmith

Alright i didnt even read the whole thread.

Sure if i was flying with my job and getting the flight paid for i would prob go with Aer Lingus myself.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2012, 09:48:22 PM
Its called competition and if it weren't for the likes of Ryanair good old aer lingus would be charging you 500 euro return to London.
It's also called a race to the bottom. In Ryanair's case, part of the vast profits are made by slashing working conditions as well as shoving 2 fingers at them.
I suppose there would be no chance that Ryan Air would distribute  a bonus of (a minuscule) 1% of its profits to the workers who play their part in making that profit possible. If that's an example of a 'great company', you can have it.

I very much doubt snobbery has anything to do with choosing where possible and realistic, anybody else but Ryanair.

Dinny Breen

Nice touch from Michael O'Leary in donating 200K to the JT McNamara fund.
#newbridgeornowhere

Eamonnca1

Why do people want to be the first on the plane? I've never understood this.  I always try to be the last to board and I always try to get a seat near the front so I can get off as quickly as possible.  I want to spend as little time on the thing as possible. You're going to be stuck in that seat for 5 hours, why would you want to lengthen the experience?

heffo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 01, 2013, 05:40:26 PM
Why do people want to be the first on the plane? I've never understood this.  I always try to be the last to board and I always try to get a seat near the front so I can get off as quickly as possible.  I want to spend as little time on the thing as possible. You're going to be stuck in that seat for 5 hours, why would you want to lengthen the experience?

Board last and you're carry on luggage will be at the opposite end of the plane.

Board first and you're luggage is overhead and you can be off the plane and out the door quick.

AZOffaly

In my experience if you board last you are never going to get a seat near the front.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2013, 07:02:55 PM

In my experience if you board last you are never going to get a seat near the front.

You will with airlines with reserved seating. At least those I've flown i.e. major US airlines and European flag carriers.  I've never tried Ryanair or Southwest yet.

However, as someone said, good luck with your carry-on luggage!

Tony Baloney

Anyway, well done Michael O'Leary for throwing 200k into the JT McNamara pot.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2013, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2013, 07:02:55 PM

You will with airlines with reserved seating. At least those I've flown i.e. major US airlines and European flag carriers.  I've never tried Ryanair or Southwest yet.

However, as someone said, good luck with your carry-on luggage!

Reserved seating is reserved seating, so obviously if you reserve a seat at the front you'll get it :) Eamonn is on about (I think) people paying extra on RyanAir to get on early. I'm saying that's the only way you'll get a seat up front in my experience of Ryan Air. Another reason why I prefer Aer Lingus :)