Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2013, 11:17:32 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 02, 2013, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: deiseach on April 02, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 02, 2013, 09:56:00 AM
No.

What I decry is the assumption that scientists are somehow immune to the human traits of bias, greed, pride, stubbornness, jealousy and lust.

I don't need a knowledge of science to know that once humans get involved, the truth is ALWAYS more complex than true or false.

Which, by the way, is neither pathetic nor ignorant. The problem with discussing such things with zealots such as yourself is that you're not prepared to discuss, you just want to shout.

I'm very surprised at this post. What you are saying is that we can trust nothing scientists say because they're all human with the prejudices that come with being human. It's the same kind of argument deployed by those who think the MMR vaccine causes autism or that water has memory. Some people claim the earth is flat. How do we know that it's not all a giant con and those handful of people who claim to have been in orbit are not in on the joke? Yes, very surprised to see this coming from someone as normally sensible as yourself.

Not quite Deiseach. In general I respect science tremendously.

But the global warming/climate change discussion is one aspect of science that always raises scepticism with me.

Here's my point of view. Scientists want to prove things. So if there's nothing happening, there's nothing to prove. Human nature means they'll try to find something, anything to cling to. Unfortunately this basic human factor means there'll never be the same conviction in proving climate change doesn't exist.

I like science being science. I don't like science being industry.
How do you interpret  the lowest level of summer sea ice in the Arctic since records began? Or temperatures of 40 degrees plus in Indiana last summer for over a month? Is it all just random? 
What would you need to believe that climate change is happening?

Just wondering Seafoid, do you think the Wobbler is Scum too?

If you ask me the Climate change lobby have only themselves to blame for the lack of belief in what they say. Only yesterday I was listening to some guy blaming global warming for floods in Cork. Weather does not equal climate as someone said earlier, except that is if its extreme weather in which case it does.

If things are as bad as they seem and given that the two of the biggest countries in the world (China and India) don't really give a crap about Climate change, then I suggest we should put our resources into building a space ship and getting out of here as this is only going to get worse

seafoid

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 02, 2013, 02:03:49 PM
No.

What I decry is the assumption that scientists are somehow immune to the human traits of bias, greed, pride, stubbornness, jealousy and lust.

I don't need a knowledge of science to know that once humans get involved, the truth is ALWAYS more complex than true or false.

Which, by the way, is neither pathetic nor ignorant. The problem with discussing such things with zealots such as yourself is that you're not prepared to discuss, you just want to shout.

I'm very surprised at this post. What you are saying is that we can trust nothing scientists say because they're all human with the prejudices that come with being human. It's the same kind of argument deployed by those who think the MMR vaccine causes autism or that water has memory. Some people claim the earth is flat. How do we know that it's not all a giant con and those handful of people who claim to have been in orbit are not in on the joke? Yes, very surprised to see this coming from someone as normally sensible as yourself.

But the global warming/climate change discussion is one aspect of science that always raises scepticism with me.

Here's my point of view. Scientists want to prove things. So if there's nothing happening, there's nothing to prove. Human nature means they'll try to find something, anything to cling to. Unfortunately this basic human factor means there'll never be the same conviction in proving climate change doesn't exist.

How do you interpret  the lowest level of summer sea ice in the Arctic since records began? Or temperatures of 40 degrees plus in Indiana last summer for over a month? Is it all just random? 

If you ask me the Climate change lobby have only themselves to blame for the lack of belief in what they say. Only yesterday I was listening to some guy blaming global warming for floods in Cork. Weather does not equal climate as someone said earlier, except that is if its extreme weather in which case it does.

If things are as bad as they seem and given that the two of the biggest countries in the world (China and India) don't really give a crap about Climate change, then I suggest we should put our resources into building a space ship and getting out of here as this is only going to get worse

I think the Wobbler is perhaps misinformed , Myles. But a lot of people want it to be like that.

Plutocrats like O'Leary who imply we can ignore what is happening around us and that it is all a joke are more dangerous than the Nazis were, IMO.  The Nazis didn't destroy the planet.

I visited a few glaciers last year in France and Switzerland and they are all retreating.

This is from Chamonix near Mont Blanc
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2LsRIlRF2W8/TFmu1GdkZPI/AAAAAAAACUM/KEhfk0_7woo/s1600/07-Hauteur+de+la+Mer+de+Glace+en+1990.JPG

If the glaciers that feed the Ganges Valley in India disappear half a billion people are going to have problems feeding themselves. That sort of social breakdown has never happened on such a scale before.   It is very scary what is happening.
So I do think O'Leary is a sc**bag.

People like him are doing what the cigarette companies did in the 1950s. Using their power and influence to muddy the waters so people don't find out what's happening.

boojangles

With the amount of evidence/facts available it is hard to believe that some people can still argue against the seriousness of climate change. If you can't be bothered to actually study the evidence that is easily found (like O Leary) then at least stay out of the argument and don't try to cloud the debate. Just because the powers in China, India and the US among others don't care doesn't mean everybody else should stop caring. We will all be long dead before the real manifestation of the damage humans have done to this planet will be seen but again that is no reason to be ignorant.

And yes I will get down of my moral high horse now.

orangeman

O'Leary will have the calculator out when he reads this -

The head of Samoa Air has defended the airline's decision to start charging passengers according to their weight.

Chris Langton told Australia's ABC Radio that it was "the fairest way of travelling".

Rather than pay for a seat, passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram, which varies depending on the route length.

Samoa Air flies domestically and to American Samoa. It is thought the move could encourage other airlines to introduce similar policies.

"Airlines don't run on seats, they run on weight, and particularly the smaller the aircraft you are in the less variance you can accept in terms of the difference in weight between passengers," Mr Langton told ABC radio.

"Anyone who travels at times has felt they have been paying for half of the passenger next to them."

Under the new model, Mr Langton described how some families with children were now paying cheaper fares.

"There are no extra fees in terms of excess baggage or anything - it is just a kilo is a kilo is a kilo," he said.

Air Samoa's rates range from $1 (65p) to around $4.16 per kilogram. Passengers pay for the combined weight of themselves and their baggage.

Mr Langton also suggested that the move had helped promote health awareness in Samoa, which has one of the world's highest levels of obesity.

"People generally are becoming much more weight conscious. That's a health issue in some areas," he told ABC Radio.

Mr Langton said he believed that charging by weight was "the concept of the future."

"People generally are bigger, wider and taller than they were 50 years ago," he said. "The industry will start looking at this."

Declan

A Ryanair jet returned safely to Krakow in Poland 25 minutes after its tail struck the runway on taking off last Sunday. There was a delay of eight hours before a replacement aircraft flew the 127 passengers to Dublin.
Tail-strikes are a common cause of aircraft damage although aircraft have a built-in "bumper" cartridge or skid to absorb much of the force of contact with the runway. Ryanair spokesman Robin Kiely said an inspection afterwards revealed "a minor scrape on the tail skid".
There was no further damage to the aircraft, Mr Kiely added.
Tail-strikes can be caused by taking off at too slow a speed or by energetic handling of the aircraft's control column on take-off, although errors in the distribution of baggage and passengers can be a contributory factor. Weather conditions can also be a consideration.
"Ryanair is fully co-operating with investigating authorities in order to establish the cause of the incident," Mr Kiely said.
The Aircraft Accident Investigation Unit of the Department of Transport in Dublin said any inquiry will be a matter for the Polish aviation authorities.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 02, 2013, 03:57:37 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 02, 2013, 02:03:49 PMWeather does not equal climate as someone said earlier, except that is if its extreme weather in which case it does.
NO IT DOESN'T!

Weather = Current/immediate conditions in the atmosphere. Also associated with predictions of these conditions hence the term "weather forecasts". The longer the period being forecast, the decreasing odds in its accuracy especially in some climate areas e.g. temperate locations in much of Western Europe.

Climate = The accumulation and interpretation of such weather statistics over a long period of time, normally 30 years but can be more or less. The use of such data helps to classify the climate type in a given area based on these results. Longer periods can then note over how the climate in a given location has changed - or not -  over say decades or even centuries depending on the approach taken, from which predictions can be made about possible future changes of an area's climate and what possible knock-on effects this may have.

tl;dr version - Weather = Short term. Climate = Long term.

If you read again what I said you'll find I agree with you, I was being sarcastic about a lot of these "experts" you hear on the news that cite short term extreme weather events as examples of climate change.

Eamonnca1

The scientific illiteracy of some people on this thread is staggering.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 02, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
If you read again what I said you'll find I agree with you, I was being sarcastic about a lot of these "experts" you hear on the news that cite short term extreme weather events as examples of climate change.

Sarcasm is hard enough to convey in writing, but when it comes to climate change it's best avoided because the deniers are so serious in their profession of ignorance that it's hard to tell the parodies from the real thing.

bennydorano

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2013, 03:58:41 PM
O'Leary will have the calculator out when he reads this -

The head of Samoa Air has defended the airline's decision to start charging passengers according to their weight.

Chris Langton told Australia's ABC Radio that it was "the fairest way of travelling".

Rather than pay for a seat, passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram, which varies depending on the route length.

Samoa Air flies domestically and to American Samoa. It is thought the move could encourage other airlines to introduce similar policies.

"Airlines don't run on seats, they run on weight, and particularly the smaller the aircraft you are in the less variance you can accept in terms of the difference in weight between passengers," Mr Langton told ABC radio.

"Anyone who travels at times has felt they have been paying for half of the passenger next to them."

Under the new model, Mr Langton described how some families with children were now paying cheaper fares.

"There are no extra fees in terms of excess baggage or anything - it is just a kilo is a kilo is a kilo," he said.

Air Samoa's rates range from $1 (65p) to around $4.16 per kilogram. Passengers pay for the combined weight of themselves and their baggage.

Mr Langton also suggested that the move had helped promote health awareness in Samoa, which has one of the world's highest levels of obesity.

"People generally are becoming much more weight conscious. That's a health issue in some areas," he told ABC Radio.

Mr Langton said he believed that charging by weight was "the concept of the future."

"People generally are bigger, wider and taller than they were 50 years ago," he said. "The industry will start looking at this."
Wondering was that aired yesyerday - 1st April?

johnneycool

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 02, 2013, 02:03:49 PM
No.

Just because its China and India churning out the most CO2 doesn't mean we aren't blameless. These countries are churning out the cheap shite we in the west think we need. We stop buying, they stop producing.

Orior

Posted before, but always worth repeating when O'Leary is trying to woo the punters...
==============================================================

Ryanair's Micheal O'Leary arrives in a hotel in Dublin, he goes to the bar and asks for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O'Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours.

That will be 3 euro please.

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. - You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please." O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough. What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians