The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I thought that pair, Snoop and her pal, were just effective robots, not a patch on the Greek and his sidekick, Vondas. The Greek would kill your children first, ask you the question to get the info, then kill you with his bare hands.

But there was only one character that could empty a packed street in 5 seconds, only one who had the dealers surrendering their bags of dope if they heard him say boo, only one who stood up to them all, with both barrels blazing.

Down South

And he got killed by a kid.
Who was the stand out character over the 5 series? For me it was McNulty, head and shoulders above them all, but everyone seems to go with Omar.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Down South on May 30, 2010, 11:23:13 PM
And he got killed by a kid.
Who was the stand out character over the 5 series? For me it was McNulty, head and shoulders above them all, but everyone seems to go with Omar.

I'd go with Omar too. Jimmy lacked depth after the third series. Actually he was a character who I felt sorry for. Omar was just so entertaining and, while it was a pity, it was good to see him shot by a kid - you can't get away with what he did indefinitely. Thought the scene in the courtroom with Omar and Levy was one of the best moments of the lot.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Main Street

You are both missing that part of the the plot where Omar got killed by a kid.
It is a story and in good stories you have symbolism. The fact that it was a kid was just symbolic.

INDIANA

Thought his demise was  a pretty weak ending to be honest. Series lost its way in the 5th series a bit. Introduced too many characters and the whole fake crime thing nearly got out of hand for the writers to the extent it nearly became make believe.
Still enjoyed it but nothing could ever top the 4th. the 4 young actors in the 4th series were excellent in my view. The whole plot was genius in general and really captured the essence of the whole problem.
Omar and Mc Nulty were the best characters for me overall. Not too sure what the Greeks offered. Seemed surplus to requirements to me.

BerfArmagh

Best character of the whole series was Bunk - The time he got drunk in a womens house and burn all his clothers in the bath, while he sat on the bog smoking a cigar was classic

Main Street

Quote from: INDIANA on May 31, 2010, 12:20:58 AM
Not too sure what the Greeks offered. Seemed surplus to requirements to me.
Hardly surplus, they were at the top of the tree. Essential to the story.

The whole drama was a Greek tragedy.

Down South

Anyone want to have a stab at their top 3 characters?

Mine are McNulty, Bubbles and Omar.

gallsman

Quote from: Down South on May 30, 2010, 10:08:43 PM
Snoop is actually a real character and not an actor.

A slight exaggeration.

Down South

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2010, 12:15:18 PM

A slight exaggeration.

Felicia Snoop Pearson?

gallsman

Quote from: Down South on May 31, 2010, 12:16:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2010, 12:15:18 PM

A slight exaggeration.

Felicia Snoop Pearson?

She did jail time for one second degree murder. I never once read that she was a high level enforcer who committed multiple murders on behalf of a drug lord, did you?

Down South

I thought she was more of a real character, maybe I am wrong. As a convited murderer she is certaiinly not your average actor.

gallsman

Quote from: Down South on May 31, 2010, 12:24:17 PM
I thought she was more of a real character, maybe I am wrong. As a convited murderer she is certaiinly not your average actor.

Completely different to saying she is a real character. Her character on the show shares her name is all. She was invited to the set by Michael Williams (Omar) and offered a role. Several characters are played by people with dodgy pasts. The Deacon was once Baltimore's biggest drug lord, and I think the bald, white cop (Norris??) has a story about him too.

Billys Boots

I think Bunk is based on an actual person too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gallsman

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 31, 2010, 01:00:16 PM
I think Bunk is based on an actual person too.

There's a lot of characters based on real individuals, from both David Simon's and Burns' experiences of Baltimore, but the characters discussed above are portrayed by people who were real-life criminals as opposed to actors.