The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

There was a film on tv the other week with the actor who plays Clay Davis, sure enough he rolled out the shiiiieeeeet line with full gusto. Must be his trademark like Pacino with his hoohaa.

nifan

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 23, 2009, 05:10:29 PM
With out a doubt, best show ever.

Some good scenes their Our Nail. Omar features in alot of them.

Would have thought his classic performance in birds trial would have been higher.

Also the scene where Carver Drops randy off to the group home should be there - when carver goes back to the car after and is just distraught.

mountainboii

One of my favourite scenes in the whole five series is one of the last, when Marlo walks out of the posh get together and takes on two wee boys on a street corner. Was pretty much the only time in almost of 3 series that you actually saw him live up to his reputation.

Cúig huaire

Great end to a great series, but why was it shown so late last night? They used the last couple of episodes to round it off nicely, from Naymond giving his speech on AIDS in Africa to Bubbles sitting down to dinner with his sister. I never got the whole Marlo thing though, last night was the first time he did something himself. Thankfully McNultys wake wasnt a real one, though he paid a high price for trying to get some real police work done.
One of the best shows I ever saw, though I only got into it half way through series two. The box set will be on my list for Christmas.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Main Street

It's shown late because it is not a 'prime time' show. It is a quality drama which requires concentration as well as sense of awareness of the plot, characters and scenes in order to be able to appreciate and follow the drama.

Celt_Man

As Clay would ssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!  :D

Can't believe that's over, haven't been on this thread once while I was watching it on BBC, didn't go on wiki to look up about past seasons or about actors in the show - I was absolutely terrified of reading a spoiler and taking away any bit of pleasure of watching this show...
it is the best damn show on tv bar none...
Some of the characters are legendary and love the direction they took with some of them...
Would have been so easy to keep McNulty central stage as the "hero" of the show always being wronged by the bosses but look at what happens in the last season...
Omar was a brillant character, a real bad ass but at the same time he never got any civilians

Also loved the way they would bring characters in out of the blue and keep them in it and just as quick take them out again...  Bodie, Slim Charles, Cheese, prop Joe, Levy, Carv and Herc - they all went out of it for a while but still played serious roles in it
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mountainboii

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 11, 2009, 12:36:31 PM
As Clay would ssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!  :D

Can't believe that's over, haven't been on this thread once while I was watching it on BBC, didn't go on wiki to look up about past seasons or about actors in the show - I was absolutely terrified of reading a spoiler and taking away any bit of pleasure of watching this show...
it is the best damn show on tv bar none...
Some of the characters are legendary and love the direction they took with some of them...
Would have been so easy to keep McNulty central stage as the "hero" of the show always being wronged by the bosses but look at what happens in the last season...
Omar was a brillant character, a real bad ass but at the same time he never got any civilians

Also loved the way they would bring characters in out of the blue and keep them in it and just as quick take them out again...  Bodie, Slim Charles, Cheese, prop Joe, Levy, Carv and Herc - they all went out of it for a while but still played serious roles in it

Slim Charles is one of my favourites, even though he's a main player in the drugs world and should be a villain he ends up being one of only two or three completely honourable characters in the whole show.

"That was for Joe." Legend.

gallsman

"That was fo' Joe' yo"

Everybody I know loves Slim Charles. Not sure why, but he just seems so cool and likeable. Whether he's better than Omar though...

Main Street

The Barksdale crew became the ODCs 
Everybody loves the ODC when you got Stanfield's breed on the other side

mountainboii

Quote from: gallsman on September 11, 2009, 01:16:03 PM
"That was fo' Joe' yo"

Everybody I know loves Slim Charles. Not sure why, but he just seems so cool and likeable. Whether he's better than Omar though...

Nah, no one tops Omar. In any TV show. Ever.

Cúig huaire

Why does everyone like Omar?  He got blown away by a kid FFS. I was delighted to see him go. I liked the kid who shot Snoop and Bubbles.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Dinny Breen

I loved Omar, a modern day Robin Hood with a strick moral code, don't think he ever used swear words either....

"Omar is Coming!, Omar is Coming!, Omar is Coming!"
#newbridgeornowhere

nifan

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 11, 2009, 01:40:25 PM
Why does everyone like Omar?  He got blown away by a kid FFS. I was delighted to see him go. I liked the kid who shot Snoop and Bubbles.

Michael is the new omar - doing the stick up at the end, even giving the smirk like omar.

Billys Boots

Prop Joe and Bunk were my two favourite characters.  Cringe, I liked Rawls too, what an asshole!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gallsman

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 11, 2009, 01:54:51 PM
Prop Joe and Bunk were my two favourite characters.  Cringe, I liked Rawls too, what an asshole!!

Rawls randomly in the gay bar in Series 3 was class. Like you have one up on him and he doesn't know it yet or something!