The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 14, 2009, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 14, 2009, 01:24:30 PM
I didn't see that. Must look at it again.

There was a good bit in Series 4 when McNulty goes to a function and asks barman for a Jameson, barman says "Only got Bushmills", McNulty replies "But that's a protestant whiskey!"  :D

Yeah its series 3 as its when hes after your woman who's mates with Carcetti

Being honest, I thought i was just shit research, or maybe it a doubly subtle dig at the naivety and ignorance of Irish-Americans. ALL the distillers were originally Protestant families, as is the Guinness family.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on July 14, 2009, 02:00:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
Watching last nights from s3  (ep.11or 12?)  on BBC
I missed this bit  first time around,
in the scene where the Brother sent in his bodyguard into the gay bar to search for Omar, you can see Major Rawls in the background looking well pleased with himself.

I've been watching it on DVDs borrowed from a friend. Saw it straight away and texted him immediately. It's little things like that from ages ago that make it such a great show.

Try not to give away spoilers.
You can't have a discussion if you can't at least mention scenes from episodes already televised in the recent run.
The unwritten rule is, if its been on the BBC then its open season.

tyssam5

Quote from: gallsman on July 14, 2009, 02:21:19 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 14, 2009, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 14, 2009, 01:24:30 PM
I didn't see that. Must look at it again.

There was a good bit in Series 4 when McNulty goes to a function and asks barman for a Jameson, barman says "Only got Bushmills", McNulty replies "But that's a protestant whiskey!"  :D

Yeah its series 3 as its when hes after your woman who's mates with Carcetti

Being honest, I thought i was just shit research, or maybe it a doubly subtle dig at the naivety and ignorance of Irish-Americans. ALL the distillers were originally Protestant families, as is the Guinness family.

Not shit research. Irish-Americans do come out with that on a regular basis. I order Bush deliberately to set the feckers off.

But in fairness I would not argue with McNulty when it comes to whiskey.

Archie Mitchell

My mistake. Obviously it wasn't series 4 as McNulty was shit craic and not being the usual drunk womaniser that he was in all the other seasons.

Main Street

Just a (relatively) sober womaniser.

Archie Mitchell

Series 5 he gets back to his best. Does what he does best as well as getting a little crazier!

gallsman

Finished. Great finale. As I said, on of, if not, the best TV show I've ever seen. Can't believe it never realyl got popular over here until now.

Our Nail Loney

Great episode last night on BBC2.

One of my favourite bits in it with Avon and Stringer talking to each other on the balcony drinking

"Its just business"

Billys Boots

I loved the conversation between Stringer and the sleazy lawyer, where the latter explained to Stringer how Clay 'Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit' Davis had just cleaned him out of bribes. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Schkite

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 03:41:52 PM
Great episode last night on BBC2.

One of my favourite bits in it with Avon and Stringer talking to each other on the balcony drinking

"Its just business"

Yeah that was a great scene, both of them knew it would be the last time they'd share a drink and a moment together as they'd both double-crossed the other. That was a great season, you could see their friendship break bit by bit as they were going in different directions. They're all fantastic seasons of course, not a weak link among them. Re-watching season 1 again now and it's better than I remembered.

gallsman

Season four was y favourite. The sheer ruthlessness of Marlo and Chris, and the portrayal of the way the kids get embroiled in the drug trade was compelling viewing.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2009, 05:17:20 PM
Season four was y favourite. The sheer ruthlessness of Marlo and Chris, and the portrayal of the way the kids get embroiled in the drug trade was compelling viewing.

I think series 3 was my favourite with the drug war.

Four would be second though, the four kids were great additions and I even started to like Marlo.

Main Street

Those last 2 episodes of series 3 upped the ante.
All the scenes in those 2 episodes, to wrap up the series, one after the other were just brilliant.
You could watch them again and again. An overwhelming sense of personal loss, loss of past values  and a bottomless pit of something more evil taking over.
Stringers total disintegration was complete. Avon in the leg irons but still intact.
In the last scene with Omar, his grief is all left to the imagination. Even if you didn't know what was to follow in S4, you'd just know he was going far away to lick his wounds. Not even he can stomach more loss.

As brilliant as the Wire certainly is,  the despair of it all does grind me down.

Schkite

I know what you mean, there certainly is some depressing stuff in it at times. I read a bit about the Wire a while back, which said that the 2nd last episode in each season was the most despairing and hopeless of that season, but usually one of the best. They're all written by the same man, and he really does like to depress! Thinking through all the penultimate episodes, without giving anything away about seasons 4 and 5 especially, they really are fantastic episodes even if they do get you down a bit!

Our Nail Loney