How many points have you got?

Started by milltown row, October 17, 2008, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

0...but i have a life sentence married to a yappy nag...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Nil pois pour moi aussi (bit of the old A Level French coming back there! ;D)

And I've been driving legitimately since 1976

Handy

0 - not bad as I do over 500 mile a week.

Aerlik

9 for me.  Another indiscretion and I run the risk of losing the licence for 3 months, however the West Australian system allows an appeal whereby those who require vehicles for work/would be seriously disadvantaged by not being allowed to drive, can use their licence "under licence" so to speak.

The West Aussie system also has a double demerit points system during public holiday weekends and over Christmas and Easter.  Still, the death rate on the roads is terrible.  Then again, allowing a 17-y.o. to get his/her licence and then drive off in a 6L V8 superdooper blah blah blah isn't exactly helping prevent the problem.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

TORGAEL

I've got 3 myself. Caught at the infamous temporary 40mph zone [that the wobbler mentioned] on the A1 last month.

fred

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2008, 08:23:01 PM
I've got 3.

I defy anyone doing the daily commute from Newry to Belfast not to have points.

There 6 sets of temporary 40mph zones on the way, and 5 of those are on dual carriageways. The PSNI are on at least one of 'em morning and evening. It's a fookin disgrace if you ask me. I'm on my way to work before the roadworkers have their morning tea, and when I'm on my way home they've long tucked into their dinners. There's no excuse for a 40mph limit to imposed on these areas when no construction workers are about.

True. I've licence for twenty years and not a single point, until I started working in Newry last year. Now got myself 9. Actually asked wife to accept the last three and she told me to piss-off!!! That A1 sure is a cnut to negotiate.

saffron sam2

Interesting the number of people admitting to obtaining points on the A1, all this on the day that a 74 year old woman dies from injuries she received in a crash on the same A1.

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2008, 08:23:01 PM
I've got 3.

I defy anyone doing the daily commute from Newry to Belfast not to have points.

There 6 sets of temporary 40mph zones on the way, and 5 of those are on dual carriageways. The PSNI are on at least one of 'em morning and evening. It's a fookin disgrace if you ask me. I'm on my way to work before the roadworkers have their morning tea, and when I'm on my way home they've long tucked into their dinners. There's no excuse for a 40mph limit to imposed on these areas when no construction workers are about.

Two boys at work do the same commute and have done so for at least five years. Total number of points accumulated by the pair of them = 0. There is no excuse for getting points on the A1. If you travel it every day, you know the PSNI will be out, you know where they are likely to be out, you know the maximum permitted speed at any point on the road. By simply sticking to the maximum speed (or slightly under it) you won't get points. It's hardly f**king rocket science. Regardless of whether or not any of you agree with the speed limits imposed, they are there and ignoring them can get you points.

I don't see any great difference between those who speed and may cause accidents and those who drink / drive or steal cars and may cause accidents.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet