Sking Holiday

Started by Keepthefaith93, October 15, 2008, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

There's a couple of ski shops on the Lisburn Road, maybe one of them has been credit crunched.

kumquat

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 08, 2009, 04:49:39 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 15, 2008, 10:43:30 AM
It reminds me of ski-ing. Which reminds me to ask - what is it for? What good is it? What's the point of spending an hour or so being hauled up a hill just to slide down it again? We used to do that on icy ground when we were kids but most of us gave it up when we got to our teens.

If it's getting to the top of the hill that's important, we have helicopters and the like nowadays. On the other hand, if you wanted to be at the bottom of the hill all the time (which I must assume from the fact that that's where you head for as soon as you get to the top), what brought you up it in the first place?

I'd love to find out what it's all about. I'm particularly interested in the argument for paying money to do this kind of thing.

Hardy thats like saying why do footballers kick the ball down one end of the pitch when they're going to do the exact opposite in the second half, why not just stay there with the ball all the time?

Its the journey not the destination

Was in Kitzbul last eyar and really enjoyed it, slopes were excellent and catered for all

was in kitzbhuel the 3rd week in December mayo4sam, stayed right beside the Flekenbalm gondola, hotel called the Klausen, great spot to stay if your heading back. The snow was great, most of the slopes open & best of all there was very few people on the mountain. No queuing for lifts, restaurants quiet & had the apre ski bar all to ourselves. Great time of year to go. Roll on 21st of Feb Soll here we come  ;D ;D
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Mayo4Sam

Unfortunately the credit crunch is hitting my skiing holiday this year  :'(
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lfdown2

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 08, 2009, 01:51:45 PM
Yep 16 of us heading to Selva in Val Gardena in Italy next Saturday (17th)   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think San Rocco is dead on, I think Marco's is there and few other places not far away like.  Whats the name of the place you are staying?

staying in chalet fabio, ever hear tell of them?

Mhic Easmuint

Nope, thought it might have been l'Ables where we stayed one year which was class.

boojangles

A Skiing holiday is the best you will ever go on.No such thing as a hangover up on them slopes no matter how little sleep or how many cocktails ya drank that morning.One of the most exhillarating things I ever did and I would definitely recommend it to anybody.Even Hardy.
Went to Borovets in Bulgaria last year,23 of us went.Very reasonable and the price of food and drink over there is great.

Rois

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 09, 2009, 02:02:24 PM
Nope, thought it might have been l'Ables where we stayed one year which was class.

That's where I stayed too!  And staying there again.  Apts were great, opposite supermarket, if I'm thinking of the right place.  The closest bar/sitting room ended up being our pitstop every day, great hot wine.  Just got a delivery of ski gear to work and just two weeks to go, yeeha.

johnneycool

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 08, 2009, 01:48:44 PM
count down is on, head to livigno 21st feb, €uro probaly cripple us but fuk it, cant wait!!

many of the rest of ye get something sorted?

ps staying in san rocco (cheaper) please tell me its not miles from the main center?!

The grub and in particular the drink is very cheap in Livingo so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the exchange rate, tax free haven allegedly.

I can't remember now but a huge bottle of Vodka, the sort you'd see on the optics here was something like €15.

bigfrank

Where would be a good place to start lookin for a ski holiday for the next few months??Online,travel agents,teletext holidays etc

Bensars

Quote from: bigfrank on February 03, 2009, 07:59:13 PM
Where would be a good place to start lookin for a ski holiday for the next few months??Online,travel agents,teletext holidays etc

www.skimcneill.com

Belfast outfit that will give you reasonable overall price. Good reputation.  Most online or major travel agents advertise very competitive packages but the ski pack, insurance, lift passes exc are usually extra.

under the bar

If anyone needs ski boots I have a pair of Rossignol pro Evolutions.

Excellent condition, charcoal size 9 cost me £145 and are as comfy as carpet slippers but unfortunately they scratch the coffee table!

Won't be seeing snow again for a few years due to me having started a family! 

Rois

Skimcneill only do Directski holidays now having been bought by them last year but have used them a few times and they're great for groups.  Plus they go to an extensive range of places, unlike many main tour operators (Crystal, Panorama) who really only go to Andorra/Italy from Belfast.

I did a self-service one last wk - Easyjet flights £90, catered chalet for 5 nights £295 which included transfers.  Ski hire €40, lift pass (for four days) €110.  Pretty reasonable for a trip to Morzine but missed out on the two extra days on the slopes.  Gorgeous place though, and I think the same chalet is doing a whole week for that price some time in March.  Would def recommend them.

Try igluski.com for Belfast bargains - they seem to show quite a selection.  But the private chalets are almost giving their rooms away for free - try www.chaletfinder.co.uk which is what I used. 

Have a set of skis that I will only ever use again if I buy an apartment and can leave them there as they're a pain.  Got a gorgeous new girlie pair of boots that cost me £280 just after Christmas but were worth it last week.  Would definately from now own recommend buying your own boots or at least your own linings moulded round your feet. 

bigfrank

Thanks bensars and rois!! Will look into it:) Enough snow in england now for a bit of light skiing :P :P

lfdown2

right, week and a half, rois/any other ex livigngoers recommend the good apres ski spots?

cheers!

Mhic Easmuint

Galli Sport aint bad.  We went there every evening. 
There's one at the bottom of the carosello gongola which is outside and the music is blaring every evening.