Sking Holiday

Started by Keepthefaith93, October 15, 2008, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kumquat

Skiing is a fantastic holiday, ive been the last two years & i am going twice this year (December & Feb) I recommend Austria, Mayrhofn is a good spot with great apre ski. I was in chamonix last year as well Rois, great skiing but didnt like having to carry skis & poles & walking about in the boots get the bus to the slopes. Kitzbuhel & Soll are the destinations this year.
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Rois

Going the first wk, 28 Feb - 7th, something like that.  Not sure who it's with but strangely enough it's exactly the same apts that I stayed in when I was there before with a completely different group of people. 

I didn't really mind the bus to the slopes in Chamonix to be honest, a bit busy right enough but so much variation in the ski, plus the town was a gorgeous little place and full of real character.  I started looking in estate agent windows to price how much a studio would be for some time in the distant future.  I went twice to it last year, both times we did it ourselves with easyjet.

Would love to try Austria and Soll looks reasonable.  Tried organising a group at the gaelic club but not much interest.

Mhic Easmuint

What apartments Rois? 
2 years ago I was there with Panorama, and the transfer was 4.5-5 hours which passed quickly enough, but last ytear we went with Ski McNeill/Direct Ski and they flew into Verona Airport, and had the worst transfer ever.  Nearly 8-9 hours, weren;t at the apartments until 9 at night, after going around Livigno fo about an hour dropping everyone else off first. 
The ones I have organised have mainly been our Gaelic club.  There was 29 last year, but down to a more manageable 16 this year.

I was trying to go to Austria this year with the group but prices weren't great then got a good one for Selva in Val Gardena in Italy.  1200kms of slopes on the 1 ski pass.   

lfdown2

rois (or anyone for that matter), thinking of heading to livigno on the 7th march, though worried about snow, have you a website to show historical snow data, cant really find much useful, or have you been round that time before and would be quite confident of snow?

cheers

Rois

Ifdown, went around that time a few years ago.  The snow was ok, not great at the lower levels and by the time we were leaving, the grass was coming through in some parts.  Didn't stop us going out every day, and the lack of powder suited the boarders.  Then again, went to Chamonix at that time last year and couldn't ski for a day cause of the wind, fog and snow, lifts were closed.

There's plenty of terrain up above the lower slopes that was fine in Livigno. 

God we're prob flying into Verona then.  Milan was grand last time  :-[

Really want to go in January too, some great deals at the minute.  Anyone need a female to make up their group, give me a shout lol. 

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

lfdown2

cheers folks, dont know how i got myself involved with organising this!!! :-\

Mhic Easmuint

lfdown,
You will be guaranteed snow higher up the mountain as it is a high resort at over 3000 metres at the top. 
I was there 2 years ago, arrived on the 17th of March, and there was a serious dump of snow that night.  Left it great for the rest of the week, deep snow off the sides of pistes and trails in through trees. 
I was there last year at the end of January and was grand conditions as well. 

Ah any earlier Rois and ya could have went with us in Jan to Selva Gardena.  I've the final payments to collect from everyone for that this weekend. 

lfdown2

count down is on, head to livigno 21st feb, €uro probaly cripple us but fuk it, cant wait!!

many of the rest of ye get something sorted?

ps staying in san rocco (cheaper) please tell me its not miles from the main center?!

Mhic Easmuint

Yep 16 of us heading to Selva in Val Gardena in Italy next Saturday (17th)   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think San Rocco is dead on, I think Marco's is there and few other places not far away like.  Whats the name of the place you are staying?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: kumquat on October 15, 2008, 02:22:24 PM
Skiing is a fantastic holiday, ive been the last two years & i am going twice this year (December & Feb) I recommend Austria, Mayrhofn is a good spot with great apre ski. I was in chamonix last year as well Rois, great skiing but didnt like having to carry skis & poles & walking about in the boots get the bus to the slopes. Kitzbuhel & Soll are the destinations this year.

been there twice, has to be one of the top spots in europe. that ice bar sells more bottles of grolsch than anywhere i was told.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

mouview

Really enjoyed Mayrhofen last year, heading to Saalbach in a couple of weeks. Austria really take their skiing seriously (in terms of organistaion) but apres-ski isn't bad either. Great advantages of Austria are that the bus transfer is seldom > 2 hours and most resorts have a great variety of slopes within the immediate area that are covered by the lift pass. Livigno hasn't bad skiing but the bus transfer is interminable.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Hardy on October 15, 2008, 10:43:30 AM
It reminds me of ski-ing. Which reminds me to ask - what is it for? What good is it? What's the point of spending an hour or so being hauled up a hill just to slide down it again? We used to do that on icy ground when we were kids but most of us gave it up when we got to our teens.

If it's getting to the top of the hill that's important, we have helicopters and the like nowadays. On the other hand, if you wanted to be at the bottom of the hill all the time (which I must assume from the fact that that's where you head for as soon as you get to the top), what brought you up it in the first place?

I'd love to find out what it's all about. I'm particularly interested in the argument for paying money to do this kind of thing.

Hardy thats like saying why do footballers kick the ball down one end of the pitch when they're going to do the exact opposite in the second half, why not just stay there with the ball all the time?

Its the journey not the destination

Was in Kitzbul last eyar and really enjoyed it, slopes were excellent and catered for all
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rois

Going to Morzine two weeks from Sunday and then Livigno on 28 Feb.

Bloody can't wait.  I got new ski boots there after Christmas in a shop on the Lisburn Road, got the moulds done of my feet and that so will hopefully cure the sore feet from falling arches and badly fitting boots.  Turquoise and white, gorgeous things (relatively speaking) so now need to get a new jacket to match! 

Post up how the holidays went when you come back please!! 

orangeman

Did somebody mention a shop that was closing down in Belfast seeling off their stock cheaply ??