Can you use a LCD computer screen as a TV?

Started by under the bar, October 12, 2008, 02:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I've got a new screen forthe computer and was wondering is it possible to hook the old one to a digibox & use as a TV ?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: under the bar on October 12, 2008, 02:47:45 PM
I've got a new screen forthe computer and was wondering is it possible to hook the old one to a digibox & use as a TV ?

If there is a connection for TV coaxial cable and maybe a scart outlet I can't see why not
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Main Street

It's possible but not worth it.
A scart to vga cable is not enough
You need something to convert the signal coming out of the skybox into vga or  dvi.

That something could be this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadmei-TV5830-Build-Video-Monitors/dp/B000RNTZD8
But they say the tuner that converts the signal doesn't do a good enough job.

Whereas its easy to connect a Computer to a lcd tv which has dvi and vga inputs.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on October 12, 2008, 03:09:56 PM

Whereas its easy to connect a Computer to a lcd tv which has dvi and vga inputs.

When I connect my laptop to my LCD TV, the picture on the TV remains the same size as the laptop screen (rather than taking up the full TV screen size). Any ideas how to fix?

Main Street

How big is your laptop and compare that to how big your tv is.
The resolution (quality of picture) that you send out from your laptop is determined by the size of the graphics card inside the laptop.
You will have to lower the resolution on your laptop to expand what can be seen on the TV
The quality will suffer the lower the resolution you choose.
Prob have to select 640 x 480 or something like that.

If its windows  right click on the desktop and select properties  then settings  advanced
or go in to control panel  and then Monitor.

Also, if you just want watch a movie which is already compressed, as in an AVI file, it is not going to show up too well on any screen larger than 22".