Club in Belfast to join

Started by Longshanks, October 12, 2008, 12:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Go to St Brigid's.  They have their own pitch, Bredagh rely on Belfast City Council to put them up at the horrible Cherryvale.

Brigid's are more like the traditional club with local players.  Bredagh have no locals (they all play soccer for Rosario) and their members are blow ins from all around the globe.

The Parador is a dive.

Bredagh have already gone over the quota for overweight Tyrone men in the one club.

Joe Brolly seems like good craic, and if you don't think so you'd get a chance to empty him at Brigids training.

Doohicky

Quote from: No1 on October 14, 2008, 11:18:15 AM

Bredagh have already gone over the quota for overweight Tyrone men in the one club.

But this makes me think I will fit in perfectly! :)

bredaghgael

Go to St Brigid's.  They have their own pitch, Bredagh rely on Belfast City Council to put them up at the horrible Cherryvale.

Brigid's are more like the traditional club with local players.  Bredagh have no locals (they all play soccer for Rosario) and their members are blow ins from all around the globe.

The Parador is a dive.

Joe Brolly seems like good craic, and if you don't think so you'd get a chance to empty him at Brigids training.
Factually incorrect and quite rude and offensive-No 1.

bredaghgael86

The Parador is a dive.

Im well aware that you just said all this to get a rise, so well done it worked. But i feel i have to defend my club.  if you look at both the senior football and senior hurling teams, this year more than recent years has seen more locals backbone these teams. if you want i will go through them, but id appreciate if you got your facts right before talking sh**te.

Lads anybody who joins the club will realise it is one of the most welcoming and friendly clubs around.

P.s the parador is a temple.

In the Onion Bag

No1.  You're some craic.   

St Brids v Bredagh

The uppity Malone Rd jet set may have their own pitch but can't boast even a single pub let alone a single dive (unless you count the Rugby club (which is way off the beaten track and very exclusive).  Whereas there are at least 3 good pubs on the Ormeau Rd and the Parador, which is not the least bit snobby and very inclusive, is unrivaled in Belfast for GAA support and craic.

When it comes to quality of football and hurling the comparison ends.  Bredagh compete in Div3 of Down whereas St Brids Antrim
DIV? (whateveritis) status, is inferior quality.  I believe we have hammered you at senior level on our past 3 meetings.  Feel to correct me if I am wrong here?

Has St Brids even got a senior hurling team yet?  You may have noticed that last week Bredagh won the Antrim league at their 1st attempt.  Not bad eh?

Joe Brolly plays for St Brids even though he lives on the Co Down side of Belfast so it should be no problem for someone living in Stranmillis to play for a Co Down side.  Feel sure you can agree on this argument.

Guillem2

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on October 14, 2008, 11:15:11 PM

Has St Brids even got a senior hurling team yet?  You may have noticed that last week Bredagh won the Antrim league at their 1st attempt.  Not bad eh?

St Bridget's have an adult hurling team but they aren't very good. They only started this year but they are doing good work with the kids.

I used to play for Rossa but live in the south of the city now.  I've always enjoyed a bit of banter with the Bredagh lads on the odd occasion I've entered the Parador. They may not own their own pitch but Cherryvale has all the facilities any club needs.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Doohicky

Have had a few drinks in the Parador, but not a lot. Used to work in the Errigal, so probably met most of the players for Bredagh at some point or another.

I'll get these forms filled in at some point and get the ball rolling. Looking forward to getting a bit of training in.

Doohicky

I live on the Ravenhill Road, so surely Bredagh is my 'Local' club?
It's my permanent residence as I own the house and that is where I am registered to vote.
Don't see what the problem is (Especially since I lived on Sunnyside street for a year and a half before this too)

Longshanks

well I live in stranmillis in a house, and originally from Coleraine... so I guess transfer for sure ::)

Square Ball

Quote from: OnTheLine on October 13, 2008, 02:15:32 PM
Square Ball's already bagged the goalie's jersey for the 4ths team I hear... (well - he's probably about sixth choice keeper by this stage, but with injuries etc., who knows the heights he could achieve...  ;D )

Quote from: Longshanks on October 13, 2008, 01:31:04 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on October 13, 2008, 01:19:46 PM
Me, Longshanks & Doohickey could form the backbone of a 4ths team.

:D :D  So only another 12 to go...

On the Line, I am deeply offended, if there wasa 4th team I think i would get to about 2 reserve keeper, but could do a job at full forward.

No1, I would just like to point out to you that there is not one senior 1sts player who plays for Rosario
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

under the bar

I'm from Tyrone but have lived in Kerry, Dublin, Kilkenny and Galway.   The gaa pedigree I would bring to any particular Belfast club could create a membership tug-of-war between such fledgling clubs!  :o

Longshanks

Quote from: under the bar on October 15, 2008, 01:08:12 PM
I'm from Tyrone but have lived in Kerry, Dublin, Kilkenny and Galway.   The gaa pedigree I would bring to any particular Belfast club could create a membership tug-of-war between such fledgling clubs!  :o

Jasis are you trying to put some distance between you, and you ever have being associated with Tyrone?? :D :D

In the Onion Bag

For God's sake lads get off the lad's back.  He just wants to play the game and upwardly mobile Bredagh is his best chance.

Imagine's useful comment reminds me of the time I played ringer for St Pauls (Holywood St Pauls i.e).  I don't remember any hassle as nobody cared.

The parish rule argument is also interesting in so much as, despite silly notions to the contrary, it doesn't apply in Down either.  Take for example the Parish of Lower Mourne where they have three teams and Upper Mourne where they have two.

wobbller

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on October 15, 2008, 08:16:02 PM
For God's sake lads get off the lad's back.  He just wants to play the game and upwardly mobile Bredagh is his best chance.

Imagine's useful comment reminds me of the time I played ringer for St Pauls (Holywood St Pauls i.e).  I don't remember any hassle as nobody cared.

The parish rule argument is also interesting in so much as, despite silly notions to the contrary, it doesn't apply in Down either.  Take for example the Parish of Lower Mourne where they have three teams and Upper Mourne where they have two.
ITOB, Whether you think so or not; Where there are distinct Parish boundaries there is a Parish Rule.Exceptions being the areas you mentioned and Newry.Fact

In the Onion Bag

Although a theoretical argument, I believe that were St Gall's placed in Down Div1 (or Div 2), they would struggle. 

Down football is at an all time low at present whereas Antrim is probably at its zenith.  Still the Down Champs (who have never displayed any Ulster ambition) can hold to just two points Antrim's Champs (a team that gets outa Antrim easy and who strongly aspire for wider recognition).  You will not be surprised, therefore, that I cannot accept your argument.

Returning to the question posed in this thread I would summarise by saying:
any footballing newcomer to Belfast who is top class may have a chance at St Galls but will have to compete with the headbangers that are revered by that club and face playing, for the most part, crap games week in week out. 

Whereas playing in Down offers a chance to play in a Co with a proven GAA pedigree, a rich GAA heritage where the game comes first and no culchie v city faction exists to marr things.  Also, compare the number of AI Club championship titles Antrim and Down clubs have won?