The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Some finish in Perpignan today. Some guts to pull that out. Huge game in Gloucester now. Basically a group decider and the loser probably won't get a best runner up spot.

DuffleKing

Can highlights be seen anywhere?

Capt Pat

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 14, 2013, 10:49:50 PM

Can highlights be seen anywhere?

The Heineken cup website has some highlights.

Main Street

They pulled that game out of the fire, but was it not more of a shock that Munster made a last gasp winning score from a first phase of play?
I was all ready to settle down for 15 or 20 steam gushing phases.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on December 15, 2013, 10:10:42 AM
They pulled that game out of the fire, but was it not more of a shock that Munster made a last gasp winning score from a first phase of play?

This is what they are trying to cultivate. Hell of a time to pull it off.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2013, 10:39:11 AM

It was brilliant, almost New Zealand-esque.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Casey Laulala leaving at the end of the year. Hard to know what to make of him really. I've never really warmed to him, but he has played a lot for Munster in his year plus here. But if I, and the other 26k at Thomond Park, know that he's going to do that stupid stutter step, and that he'll try at least one lunatic behind the back one handed offload, then I'm sure the opposition defences know it too.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 15, 2013, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2013, 10:39:11 AM

It was brilliant, almost New Zealand-esque.

It was brilliant, but I think the best part was the way Paul O'Connell just said 'Calm down lads'. After those two absolutely brutal passes coming off the scrum, I thought they had fizzled out. He got the ball, drove forward and set up quick ball. That was what stopped it from being a frantic throw it around madness episode, and helped it turn into a really devestating attack. Tommy O'Donnell's footwork on the touchline was unreal, and JJ Hanrahan's step was very good as well. Even Hurley, the big jinnet, managed a nice offload. That's what Penney wants to see, but Munster are just not that good at it unfortunately.

Mikhailov

As it stands at the minute (and it is very hypothetical) the draw for the qtr finals would be as follows;

Ulster (1) v Leicester (8) - did meet in group
Sarries (2) v Toulouse (7) - did meet in group
Clermont (3) v Leinster (6)
Toulon (4) v Munster (5)

Lot of big teams still there and arguably the top 8 teams in the competition - no major teams missing out but you argue for Northampton.

AZOffaly

Munster are well placed now with Edinburgh shocking Gloucester yesterday. I can still see Munster losing over there, but i can't see Edinburgh turning over Munster at Thomond Park.

Capt Pat

Munster are in the quarter finals again with a game to spare. They beat Gloucester by 20 points to 7.

Lecale2

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 11, 2014, 11:42:28 PM
Munster are in the quarter finals again with a game to spare. They beat Gloucester by 20 points to 7.
They played very well too. Good to see Zebo back. Looked like a great atmosphere at Kingsholm. It must have been a sell out.
Ulster have qualified as well with Leinster next up this afternoon away to Castres. What's the story with Madigan?

AZOffaly

Hasn't been the same since they surgically removed the dead stoat from his head. In all seriousness he's a fine 10, but he's victim of a very pragmatic club decision by Leinster to bring in Goppard. This is why when I hear talk of the provinces primary role being do develop Irish talent, I smile. If that were truly the case we'd have a lot less imports playing important roles at the provinces.

rodney trotter

Would agree re the Madigan

Leinster are looking very shaky in France 14 -0 down