Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The game will not happen in Clones for sure, I would prefer it to be Omagh.  If harte is actively going against Clubs wishes on this one then Id be concerned.   

stew

What are ticket prices likely to be for first round championship matches in ulster the year?

What will they be like for our southern brethren? I am hoping that the GAA will recognise that there is a recession on and that they dont price themselves out of punters attending the games live.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

Quote from: stew on April 02, 2009, 05:27:54 PM
What are ticket prices likely to be for first round championship matches in ulster the year?

What will they be like for our southern brethren? I am hoping that the GAA will recognise that there is a recession on and that they dont price themselves out of punters attending the games live.

£10 or € 20 I'd say.  ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: AFS on April 02, 2009, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 01, 2009, 10:34:02 PM
With a bit of promotion it could easily attract 50,000. Its the All Ireland Champions v the Ulster Champions and Tyrone v Armagh. People would never have expected the crowds that turned up for Ulster Finals in Croke Park. The gaa would have close to 2 months to promote the game between 2 well supported counties. There has been over 30,000 at first round games between the 2 in the past and them games would not have been as high profile as this. If the tickets are well priced and family one's are widely available it could work.

I'm not so sure you can compare this to the 2001-2005 period when both teams were in the top 3 in the country and you could be sure there wouldn't be a kick of the ball between them. Expectations have slipped a bit in Armagh in the last couple of years, so naturally I'd expect some of our support to drop away too. I'm not so sure the same excitement is there in Tyrone either, especially when you read comments like those posted earlier on this thread about how yous will be in Croker later in the year anyway.

Armagh havent slipped that far away that their fans wouldnt turn up for a high profile championship match against their local rivals and current All Ireland champions. Everyone is always optimistic at the start of the campaign and given Armaghs record in Ulster they have a huge chance of winning this. Armagh fans still turned out in big numbers last year with an average attendance of close to 30,000 at their 4 ulster championship games which was high considering the opposition. Armagh have won their last 3 games 2 with young players like Vernon starting to impress. It wouldnt be too hard to attract Tyrone fans to this game either. Most people will be keen to see Tyrones first game as All Ireland champions and another battle with Armagh.

stpauls

looks like the question has been answered:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7989224.stm

Clones to stage Tyrone-Armagh tie  

Stephen O'Neill and his Tyrone colleagues will face Armagh at Clones
The Ulster Championship first-round clash between Tyrone and Armagh will be played at Clones on 31 May.

The Red Hand County were first out of the hat in the draw but Mickey Harte wanted Croke Park as the venue while the Tyrone board preferred Healy Park.

In early February, the Ulster Council indicated that they were unlikely to play the game at Croke Park.

The Ulster Council also announced on Tuesday night that Celtic Park will host the Derry v Monaghan on 24 May.

In a statement, the Ulster Council justified the decision to move the play the Tyrone-Armagh game at Clones on a number of grounds.

"The anticipated attendance is significantly in excess of the 18,500 all ticket capacity of Healy Park," said the statement.

"St Tiernach's Park, Clones provides an all ticket capacity of 33,000.

"There will be up to 10,000 seated family tickets available for this fixture at St Tiernach's Park."

The Ulster statement added that the Tyrone county board will be "compensated for the loss of ground rent that would have been due to Healy Park, Omagh for hosting the game".

In early February, Ulster Council president Tom Daly strongly hinted that the Tyrone-Armagh game would not be played at Croke Park.

"It certainly wouldn't be to the forefront of our minds to bring the game to Croke Park," said the Ulster Council president.

"Bear in mind that this is a first-round Ulster Championship game.

"In the past where Ulster teams have gone to Croke Park, it has been the ultimate stage of the Ulster Championship, the Ulster Final."

The Ulster SFC will open on Sunday 17 May with the preliminary round clash between Fermanagh and Down at Brewster Park.

Following the Celtic Park and Clones clashes over the next two weekends, Cavan will face either Fermanagh (Breffni Park) or Down (Pairc Esler) on Saturday 6 June.

The last quarter-final between Donegal and Antrim will take place in Ballybofey on Sunday 14 June.

The Ulster Council did not make any announcements about venues for the semi-finals or final.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ulster SFC dates

Sun 17 May : Preliminary Round - Fermanagh v Down at Brewster Park

Sun 24 May : Quarter-Final - Derry v Monaghan at Celtic Park

Sun 31 May : Quarter-Final - Tyrone v Armagh at Clones

Sat 6 June : Quarter-Final - Cavan v Fermanagh/Down

If: Fermanagh v Cavan at Kingspan Breffni Park, Cavan

If: Down v Cavan at Pairc Esler, Newry

Sun 14 June : Quarter-Final - Donegal v Antrim at Ballybofey

Goats Do Shave

tyrone86

Now thats a shocker  ::)

Surely if it is the number of people that want to see the game that is the overriding concern for the Ulster Council, I look forward to a drop in ticket prices for the Championship.

DuffleKing

Id expect championship attendances to be well down this summer - even the armagh - tyrone game. they'll probably still get close to their 33,000 for this game charging the full whack and that'll justify not dropping prices for the whole championship

armaghniac

This is a reasonable decision. But some people will still be giving out.
Let's hope that Tyrone don't launch a Donegal style campaign to use pull to have a reasonable decision reversed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mountainboii

ArmaghGAAforum

easy decision in the end and thankfully common sense prevailed

tyrone86

Quote from: armaghniac on April 08, 2009, 10:51:28 AM
This is a reasonable decision. But some people will still be giving out.
Let's hope that Tyrone don't launch a Donegal style campaign to use pull to have a reasonable decision reversed.

If the Ulster Council change it back from Clones to Omagh will the Armagh contingent travel to the game en-mass like they did to Ballybofey game in 2007?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 11:15:52 AM
Tyronies won't like this  :D

Why? As a Tyrone-y as you call it I am delighted. Clones is  a great day out 

mountainboii

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 08, 2009, 12:08:18 PM

Why? As a Tyrone-y as you call it I am delighted. Clones is  a great day out 

There are a fair few of yous that won't be happy. Apparently Clones is Armagh's home pitch or some other baloney. Clones will be good craic, the only downer is that the buckfast brigade are likely to be out in force  ::)

ziggysego

As much as I wanted the game in Omagh, I'm not too bothered by the fact it's in Clones.

Certainly not going to call for a strike like some in Dublin a-la League opener ;)
Testing Accessibility