John Meyler sacked as Wexford manager

Started by orangeman, October 08, 2008, 11:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Sacked Wexford boss John Meyler has told RTÉ Sport that it was the Wexford players who are responsible for his departure as manager.

Meyler and his management team led the side to this year's All-Ireland quarter-finals, where they were beaten by Waterford by a point.

It was widely expected that he would stay in the job for a third year, however, the Wexford County Board took the decision to fire Meyler after consultation with the players.

The Claw

Fairly surprised at that, from talking to some of the players when he first came in, they were fairly enthusiatic about him. He had a good first year and gave kilkenny a game this year but didnt really build on that. With no intent to undermine him whatsoever, I'd say he would be a great manager to get for a Christy Ring side.

EddieMerx

The Players did hate him, he treated them like children and never once held his hands up and said I made a mistake, whenever we lost it was the players fault and never some of his strange positional changes in the team.

scalder

Bollix Eddie, Myler came out after the 2007 Leinster final and said he didn't know what went wrong, he suggested it could be his fualt, that he might not be good enough, I never remember him blaming anyone, he was always looking to the positive.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: scalder on October 08, 2008, 01:33:43 PM
Bollix Eddie, Myler came out after the 2007 Leinster final and said he didn't know what went wrong, he suggested it could be his fualt, that he might not be good enough, I never remember him blaming anyone, he was always looking to the positive.

I remember his comments after that match and he was very self-critical and honest, to point where Tom Humprehies made a sarcastic comparasion to Pillar Caffrey.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

EddieMerx

Quote from: scalder on October 08, 2008, 01:33:43 PM

Well I know a couple of players who with differ with that opinion! his dressing room stance was to criticise the players

magpie seanie

To me it seems hurling affairs in Wexford are being run by a crowd of cabbages. Every time they take a step forward something stupid (usually of their own making) happens and sends them back 2 steps. There is huge passion for the game down there but no really coherent approach, certainly at adult level. Great guys like George O'Connor can only do so much. If everyone is not pulling together they are frigged.

As for players "liking" the manager - that has nothing to do with anything. I've played under mamagers I don't like many times where they've been good mamangers and we got results. Players don't have to "like" each other to get results and win matches together. This "liking" stuff is overrated. Wexfords results under Meyler (bar against Kilkienny who have beaten everyone well in the same period) were fairly good all things considered. That's what matters. Like me arse.

orangeman

I thought all things considered that Meyler was a great asset to Wexford - in hindsight maybe too good for them.

I remember after the Waterford match in Thurles, he was asked for his opinion on the season that had just ended - he said that Wexford needed a whole change in their mindset - he compared the Wexford and Cork's outlook to life in general but more particularly hurling - he said in Cork people say it is sunny most days - in Wexford people think it's raining most days.

Enough said.

Meyler was iherently a decent man who gospel was not going to be accepted by his own as is often the case.

Time for a change John - go some place where you will be appreciated - Wexford's loss - somebody else's gain.

cornafean

Quote from: orangeman on October 08, 2008, 03:09:50 PM

Meyler ... gospel was not going to be accepted by his own as is often the case.

I thought he was a Corkman?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

EddieMerx

It would take God himself to do something with Wexford hurling, the senior club championship is at a standrad that makes me wonder how the hell we can have a future! I'm a believer that in order to get the best out of average players you need to have good man management skills, Meyler has a good knowledge of the game and you could see the style he wanted to play was probably the best way going forward but unfortunately he couldn't manage the players and if you don't have the players then you can't do anything. Meyler is a guy who expects the best but unfortunately that can lead to frustration when you are dealing with a group of guys whose best is simply not up there with the Kilkennys and Corks of this World.

orangeman

Quote from: cornafean on October 08, 2008, 03:34:31 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 08, 2008, 03:09:50 PM

Meyler ... gospel was not going to be accepted by his own as is often the case.

I thought he was a Corkman?

John Meyler (born 1956 in Our Lady's Island, County Wexford) is a retired Irish hurling manager and former player,. He played hurling with his local clubs Our Lady's Island and St. Finbarr's and with the Wexford and Cork senior inter-county teams from 1973 until 1987. Meyler later served as manager of both the Kerry and Wexford senior inter-county teams.

cornafean

Quote from: orangeman on October 08, 2008, 03:46:32 PM
John Meyler (born 1956 in Our Lady's Island, County Wexford) is a retired Irish hurling manager and former player,. He played hurling with his local clubs Our Lady's Island and St. Finbarr's and with the Wexford and Cork senior inter-county teams from 1973 until 1987. Meyler later served as manager of both the Kerry and Wexford senior inter-county teams.

Good man. Thanks.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Claw on October 08, 2008, 12:46:06 PM
Fairly surprised at that, from talking to some of the players when he first came in, they were fairly enthusiatic about him. He had a good first year and gave kilkenny a game this year but didnt really build on that. With no intent to undermine him whatsoever, I'd say he would be a great manager to get for a Christy Ring side.
really ? a few players who I have spoken to (or their brothers) have said he wasnt up to much, and a lot of their colleagues refused to declare for the hurlers because of this.
Apparantly there were some 20 - 30 other hurlers approached to join the county set up and refused because they thought the management was rubbish. I know two of them.

orangeman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 08, 2008, 04:55:42 PM
Quote from: The Claw on October 08, 2008, 12:46:06 PM
really ? a few players who I have spoken to (or their brothers) have said he wasnt up to much, and a lot of their colleagues refused to declare for the hurlers because of this.
Apparantly there were some 20 - 30 other hurlers approached to join the county set up and refused because they thought the management was rubbish. I know two of them.

How did they know the management was rubbish and how can you call the management rubbish when they nearly took Waterford in the quarter finals ? Held Kilkenny for a half ? More than most did this year.

INDIANA

orangeman , i haven't met anyone from wexford who has a good word to say about him. his man-management just isn't there. yeah we all know this shouldn't matter but it does. the fact of the matter is this, he couldn't get all the best players in the county out to play for him. without that counties liike wexford have zero chance.

To draw a parallel Tommy Naughton has stepped down in dublin.alan mc crabbe the star player on our all-ireland u21 final team last year went to the states because he didn't get on with him.had he been available in nowlan park against wexford we'd have won. I can 100% guarantee you that was a factor in the decision to him withdrawing his name this year because the players  all know we need him.
I've played on many team where i didn;t get on with managers, but the managers never let relationships dip to the point that i'd walk away. thats a skill itself, and it beggars belief to me that managers with a small pick will let stupid things like personailties get in the way of getting the job done. I'm  not talking about mollycoddling lads but i'd indulge someone if he was that much better than everyone else that he'd bring the team over the line. After all if the team is winning would it not make the manager look good too?