Boycotting The International Rules Series

Started by AbbeySider, September 29, 2008, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the International Rules Series?

No Way, They Should Scrap It
Definitely, Its a Great Spectacle
Im Not Really Pushed

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: thejuice on September 30, 2008, 03:50:08 PM

By the way how does the hurling vs Shinty play out, It doesnt grab the headlines like its big-ball cousin but is it successful otherwise? Are the games good, I havent got to see them.

Ive been to a number of those internationals, always an enjoyable day out and though its not perfect with the mixed rules the games are invariably played in very good spirit. Sadly there is no financial draw in the shinty/hurling match and it hasnt really been taken seriously by the GAA in recent years, as shown by the fact they have only been picking their players from counties in the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cup. The Scots seem to have twigged onto that this year because the squad announced this week doesnt feature lads from the top shinty clubs.

Ive always felt it was a shame the shinty/hurling is seen as such a poor relation in comparison to the GAA/AFL because its a genuine cultural and sporting link between two ancient amateur sports. Unfortunatey as I said earlier its not a cash cow.

Anyway gives me an another excuse to post some shinty on the board here  ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Lvqx-7NuA&feature=related

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on October 01, 2008, 12:26:19 PM
.... as shown by the fact they have only been picking their players from counties in the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cup. The Scots seem to have twigged onto that this year because the squad announced this week doesnt feature lads from the top shinty clubs.

Id be more inclined to give people playing the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cups a chance at this.

There can be a slight element of elitism in the GAA with these kind of opportunity's.
Its always the players from the top teams that get the sponsorship deals and the advertising campaign contracts.
I wouldnt begrudge any player from a smaller county getting an opportunity to travel or be involved in something.

Its great that they got the chance to do it instead of the big teams. I have a feeling that its not a reflection on taking the game seriously or not, but more about the GAA wanted to spread the opportunity's to weaker counties that might never get a chance to do something like that. Maybe the Scots took the same approach.

scalder

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the GAA took to fielding teams from the lower divisions for a couple of reasons, firstly its a way of recognising these players, they don't get the glory of All Ireland Sundays so this is a way of honouring them. The hurlers were in the main hammering the Scots lads which was doing the series no good at all.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2008, 12:57:11 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on October 01, 2008, 12:26:19 PM
.... as shown by the fact they have only been picking their players from counties in the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cup. The Scots seem to have twigged onto that this year because the squad announced this week doesnt feature lads from the top shinty clubs.

Id be more inclined to give people playing the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cups a chance at this.

There can be a slight element of elitism in the GAA with these kind of opportunity's.
Its always the players from the top teams that get the sponsorship deals and the advertising campaign contracts.
I wouldnt begrudge any player from a smaller county getting an opportunity to travel or be involved in something.

Its great that they got the chance to do it instead of the big teams. I have a feeling that its not a reflection on taking the game seriously or not, but more about the GAA wanted to spread the opportunity's to weaker counties that might never get a chance to do something like that. Maybe the Scots took the same approach.

I take your point AbbeySider and I dont begrudge these lads their chance. However I dont see any suggestion that Ireland should pick from Division 4 counties for the GAA/AFL game so as to give lads from less recognised counties a big day out.  Similarly if the Aussies were to field a team picked from secondary competition clubs to play Ireland Ive no doubt that people in Ireland would be none too impressed.

As for scalder's point thats not altogether true either. IIRC there was only one hammering in the series and this was when bizarrely the GAA/AFL points scoring system was used for the shinty/hurling match. In the main the matches over the past couple of decades have been well fought.

Our Nail Loney

Anyone have a full squad listing of the last u17 team that toured?? Charlie Vernon etc??

AbbeySider

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on October 01, 2008, 04:39:10 PM
Anyone have a full squad listing of the last u17 team that toured?? Charlie Vernon etc??

What year was that? 2005 ?

Im nearly sure this is the 2004 U17 squad with Charlie Vernon.
Im saying its the 2005 squad because Gareth Bradshaw from Moycullen is on it and he is around 21 I think.

1.  Padraig Kearney, Kildare           
2.  Dean Barrett, Meath               
3.  Gareth Bradshaw, Galway           
4.  David Culloty, Kerry               
5.  Darragh Egan, Tipperary           
6.  Brian Faherty, Galway             
7.  Ian Fleming, Laois                 
8.  Fintan Goold, Cork                 
9.  Seamus Graham, Derry               
10. Andrew Hanley, Mayo               
11. Shane Hogan, Galway               
12. Conor Hughes, Kildare             
13. Paul Kerrigan, Cork               
14. Mark Lynch, Derry                 
15. Shane McCarthy, Cork               
16. Sean Paul Henry, Derry             
17. John McCormack, Armagh             
18. Brian Moran, Kerry       
19. Jonathon O'Brien, Dublin           
20. Padraic O'Reilly, Cavan           
21. Jonathon O'Sullivan, Kerry         
22. Stephen Prendergast, Waterford     
23. Luke Quinn, Kerry                 
24. Kevin Reilly, Meath
25. Charlie Vernon,  Armagh

BallyhaiseMan

was 2006 not the last time it toured??? or was it late November/December 2005, i cant be too sure

know because our clubman Ray Cullivan captained the team down under.

Doire abú

Mark Lynch  was captain one year, not sure which.

Canalman

Have been boycotting it myself for years. A really ugly game imo which somehow manages to incorporate the worst elements of both codes.Won't even watch it on TV.
Lived in Oz myself for some years and I can safely say that the Victoria public does not give a monkeys about these games.

DUBSFORSAM1

I have to admit I love the games. The players seem to love the game as well and aren't they the most important part of the process?? They know the risks and they want to and volunteer to play year in year out so let them play....

As for this rubbish about the Aussie being thugs they have yes gone overboard in some tackles etc and matches but the same happens in GAA so lets not kid ourselves....and the targetting of players etc also happens in GAA...while they tend to think the mouthing off, jersey pulling, kicking the ball on the gound, sly digs, diving etc are really cowardly acts which we think makes up tough guys they prefer to go in hard and fast with fists etc if there is trouble...

For me the most embarrassing thing is that guys with 4 weeks training can come in and kick points better than Irish guys who have had 20 years training...

stephenite

Was at the last U-17 tour in Adelaide, it was in April 2006 - can't remember the full list of players - Pierce Hanley from Mayo won the player of the tournament, Shane O'Rourke from Meath played also

INDIANA

dsfm- the best players in the gaa won't even go for trials now, gooch,dooher etc because of fear of injury. now boylan has set physical requirements of not being less than 6ft etc, which i can understand comepletely.
the point being it doesn't involve our best players anymore, and the physical dimensions required now ensure that it will descend into a bastardised form of rugby league. that and the stinking attitude of the aussies, they'll let the irish win one series maybe, then knock the shite out of them next time, reagrdless of whether that means people get injured.
no dis-respect but people aren't going to tune into a series for too long, when it doesn't involve our best players. my idea is that any game that doesn't conform to allowing our best players to compete isn't a game worth promoting or playing. I actually watch aussie rules every weekend, love the sport strangely but asking our guys to compete against some of the best athletes in the world ina game where the aussies hvae such a size and power advantage is inherently dangerous , that and the stinking attitide of many of the aussie players , makes it something i wouldn't watch if it was on in my back garden.

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - Saying that the physical requirements affect the decision of players to play happens in GAA also whereby small light players don't get picked for county teams as they don't have the physique to cope etc....Guys like Cavanagh/Canty etc are all involved so that is quality players going....If the Irish players skills were better they would negate the power disadvantage and a lot of the Aussie players aren't that big anymore either...

INDIANA

my point is DSFm they have the physical requirements to play GAA but they don't to play this game. in my view it then ceases to have any relevance to gaelic football so bother promoting it? is it because some membes of the gaa hierachy want a 2 week sabbatical in Australia or something? why anyone wants to watch a bunch of louts trying to injure the best of irish talent is beyond me i'm afraid.

Rossfan

Quote from: stephenite on October 02, 2008, 05:25:31 AM
Was at the last U-17 tour in Adelaide, it was in April 2006 - can't remember the full list of players - Pierce Hanley from Mayo won the player of the tournament,

Point of order - Hanley is not FROM Mayo. He just played for them at Minor and U21 because his club is affiliated to the Mayo Co Board.( the shower of traitorous ************s)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM