Boycotting The International Rules Series

Started by AbbeySider, September 29, 2008, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the International Rules Series?

No Way, They Should Scrap It
Definitely, Its a Great Spectacle
Im Not Really Pushed

AbbeySider

Original post:
Boycott The International Rules Series

This year, and from now on, I for one will be boycotting the International Rules series totally. The Idea (or moment of clarity if you will) occurred to me while watching the minor All-Ireland finals this year.  We are completely playing into the hands of the Aussies and their poachers by supporting and promoting this series. Its crazy when you think about it.

The International Rules U-17 development panel is nothing but a team of potential young players to be stolen from our game. Pearse Hanley won the Ron Barassi medal as the best player of the 2006 U-17 International Rules for Ireland against Australia. Now, instead of shining for his county he is in Oz playing Aussie Rules for Brisbane Lions. Martin Clarke from Down, Armagh's Kevin Dyas, and Cork's Michael Shields have all taken up contracts as of late. I know that a lot of other counties have lost players too.

It seems to me the whole series was set up as a catchment net, where Ireland show off their best young talent to our Aussie counterparts. I cant think of any other legitimate reason for this hybrid game. What is the point of it?? So the Aussies can embarrass us again?? All we are doing is putting ideas in young lads heads, promoting Aussie Rules and letting the Aussies see the best we have to offer. We are being played as fools. The wool has being pulled over our eyes for long enough and its time that the whole thing was boycotted for good. It's a shite game anyway IMO.

Above was my original gripe but I think it was in vein as the development squads have now stopped.

But it seems Nicky Brennan agreed with me about showcasing our young talent.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22617052-11088,00.html

Anyway im still not supporting it.
I dont want to see our senior players getting humiliated/hurt again after that debacle 16 months ago

AZOffaly

Point of order, but

QuoteCork's Michael Shields have all taken up contracts as of late

is actually back in the country, and played for Cork against Kerry in the AISF.

Not disagreeing with the gist of your post though.

ziggysego

I've no intention of watching the bastardised game, but wouldn't call it a boycott.
Testing Accessibility

thebandit

I used to be all for it, giving our game an international aspect etc. but since we lost some of our finest talents I have turned full circle on it.

cornafean

A small suggestion: Abandon the so-called International Rules series each Autumn and organise instead a Community Shield-type event for Croke Park on a single Sunday each October, with the All Ireland senior champions iin each code playing the corresponding national league Division 1 winners.

It would be a nice outing for youngsters and others who didn't get tickets to see their teams win the All Irelands and, if marketed properly, could be a sell-out.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

fred the red

AFAIK there is no longer under age games.

To be picked in the ireland squad it is most likely that you are at the top of the gaa game. By this stage you are gonna be too old for the aussies to have a keen interest in you.

thebandit

Quote from: fred the red on September 29, 2008, 03:57:48 PM

To be picked in the ireland squad it is most likely that you are at the top of the gaa game. By this stage you are gonna be too old for the aussies to have a keen interest in you.

Dessie Mone is at least 24

Onion Bag

Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2008, 02:40:10 PM
I've no intention of watching the bastardised game, but wouldn't call it a boycott.

I bet you any money, you will have a wee sneaky look to see how the tyrone fellas got on and is everyone still in one piece
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Tubberman

I enjoyed the first few series since it was restarted (quite possibly because we were winning!). I thought it gave our players an opportunity to represent their country, which they would not have otherwise.
But the approach taken by the Aussies in the past couple of series has completely changed my mind. I was at the last test in Croke Park and never witnessed such a poor 'sporting' spectacle. The Aussies just decided they were going to assault the physically weaker Irish side - there was no sport involved.
Even when played with good intentions, it's not a patch on Gaelic football anyway. I won't be attending it the next time it's in Ireland (if it survivies past this year's series).

Whatever about the senior series, there is NO merit to the U-17 series. It really is a scouting opportunity for the ALF and should be scrapped immediately. How the GAA haven't insisted on that before now is beyond me.
Edit: Just saw fred the red's comment re the under-age and hope that's true.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Quote from: thebandit on September 29, 2008, 03:59:44 PM
Quote from: fred the red on September 29, 2008, 03:57:48 PM

Dessie Mone is at least 24

And going nowhere. Like I said before, that recruitment camp in Mayo was just a PR stunt.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 29, 2008, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2008, 02:40:10 PM

I bet you any money, you will have a wee sneaky look to see how the tyrone fellas got on and is everyone still in one piece

Well just to ensure the safety of our men ;)
Testing Accessibility

fred the red

out of interest how did tadgh kennelly get spotted by the swans?

gerry

i would say that the majority of us on here will be watching it if ireland have a chance of winning and the games are played in better spirit than the last time.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

corn02

The series is the best thing that can happen. PR stunt or not Nixon has shown that they will easily come over and scout. He now has six clubs on his side. If communication breaks down between the GAA and the AFL it could turn into a poaching session.

Roy

Bollix - I think they see us as their amateur league at the moment.