Boycotting The International Rules Series

Started by AbbeySider, September 29, 2008, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the International Rules Series?

No Way, They Should Scrap It
Definitely, Its a Great Spectacle
Im Not Really Pushed

Tubberman

QuoteThe series is the best thing that can happen. PR stunt or not Nixon has shown that they will easily come over and scout. He now has six clubs on his side. If communication breaks down between the GAA and the AFL it could turn into a poaching session.

Not sure about that. It doesn't seem to me that they give a shite what the GAA/county boards/clubs want anyway. It's not like it stopped them making offers to Pearse Hanley, Kyle Coney, Sean Kavanagh, Marty Clarke or any of the others who have been offered contracts.
What will change if IR is scrapped?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

full back

Why boycott the series?
Do you seriously think if the series is boycotted the AFL are going to say they arent going to offer any more contracts to players??

Think we need to move into the real world & understand the AFL are going to offer contracts no matter what.

IMHO, the reason there are more offers nowadays is that the GAA has is so professional in its approach.
By developing the talented players earlier we are doing a lot of the groundwork for the Aussies & the Aussies realise they wont have to develop players as much as they had to in the past.
For eg, how many counties now have under 15 development squads?

AbbeySider

Quote from: corn02 on September 29, 2008, 04:15:32 PM
The series is the best thing that can happen. PR stunt or not Nixon has shown that they will easily come over and scout. He now has six clubs on his side. If communication breaks down between the GAA and the AFL it could turn into a poaching session.

No I cant agree with that. I dont know how you can call it the best thing that can happen when its obvious that its simply a scouting fest for the Aussies.
At least if the series was banished they wouldnt find players as easy as us setting up development squads and simply telling them who our best young talent is, and which players are suited to THEIR game. When you think of it its outrageous.

Maybe spend the money on sending a few Senior Clubs/Counties on tour of the states and Oz for 2 weeks during the winter to let people abroad have the chance to see our top players in action, and give the opportunity to players to travel. No need for this "hybrid" game that lets Aussies feast on young players. The International Rules squad usually only picks the bigger, stronger players and has little to do with skill.

If we had our best clubs on tour, say Senior Club Finalists, as well as All Ireland Finalists and our All Stars, all on a tour it would give our most skilled players a proper reward that someone aiming for the International Rules panel would receive. It would also offer skilled players something to aim for and instead of wishing they were big and tall enough to play International Rules/Aussie Rules they might aim to play and bring their team to Croke Park on St Patrick's day or the third Sunday in September with the incentive of a tour to the States and maybe Oz for 2 weeks in November for their team. Its just a thought.

AbbeySider

Quote from: full back on September 29, 2008, 04:33:05 PM
By developing the talented players earlier we are doing a lot of the groundwork for the Aussies & the Aussies realise they wont have to develop players as much as they had to in the past.
For eg, how many counties now have under 15 development squads?

It seems to me that the Aussies pick players based on size and physique as well as skill. Thats why I wont support a game that simply advertisers GAA players that are suited to their game. The whole thing isnt even about advertising our skills and our game.

Regarding your remark on youth development squads, I am totally against the idea also, but another story!  ;)

Edit:
I have a statistic that proves that only one player made it in Mayo from a Mayo U-16 Development Squad to the county U-21 panel a couple of years ago. That player still has not played Senior for Mayo (I think, but I need to research that one). Young lads getting a county jersey at 15-16 years old spoils them and they think they have made it. I have seen the same thing in the past with young players in my club getting a Senior club jersey at 17 and have not been seen since. But this is off topic! Rant over!

Gabriel_Hurl

I was talking (drinking pints) with a former star of Coronation Street on Saturday night and this came up - he loves watching the games

TacadoirArdMhacha

Nonsense to talk about a boycott. If you don't want to watch it fair enough but don't try to make those of us who enjoy the game feel as though we are somehow harming the GAA.

I think its an enjoyable sport to watch and gives GAA players a chance to represent their countries as well as securing large attendance and further exposure for the GAA at an otherwise quiet time of the year on the intercounty scene. Of course we don't want to see players lost to the AFL but its not as though they'll forget where Ireland is if we cancel the series. The existence of the series does at least give us some leverage in discussions with the AFL itself.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AbbeySider

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 29, 2008, 04:58:40 PM
Nonsense to talk about a boycott. If you don't want to watch it fair enough but don't try to make those of us who enjoy the game feel as though we are somehow harming the GAA.

I think its an enjoyable sport to watch and gives GAA players a chance to represent their countries as well as securing large attendance and further exposure for the GAA at an otherwise quiet time of the year on the intercounty scene. Of course we don't want to see players lost to the AFL but its not as though they'll forget where Ireland is if we cancel the series. The existence of the series does at least give us some leverage in discussions with the AFL itself.

No body is under duress and im not asking anybody do anything. I changed the title of the thread so as to not to appear to be asking for anything.

Simply raising an argument and a question. Im maintaining that we are promoting their game more than its promoting ours.

I dont see any Aussie travellers, holidays makers, or Australian people here for a year or two by choice, picking up an O Neills.  ::)

Onion Bag

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 29, 2008, 04:57:53 PM
I was talking (drinking pints) with a former star of Coronation Street on Saturday night and this came up - he loves watching the games

Who?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Jinxy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 29, 2008, 04:58:40 PM

But is it really though? I think it's actually quite boring now. It was good to watch when it was originally resurrected in the late 90's but now there seems to be a lot less kicking.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

corn02

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 29, 2008, 04:44:17 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 29, 2008, 04:15:32 PM
The series is the best thing that can happen. PR stunt or not Nixon has shown that they will easily come over and scout. He now has six clubs on his side. If communication breaks down between the GAA and the AFL it could turn into a poaching session.

No I cant agree with that. I dont know how you can call it the best thing that can happen when its obvious that its simply a scouting fest for the Aussies.
At least if the series was banished they wouldnt find players as easy as us setting up development squads and simply telling them who our best young talent is, and which players are suited to THEIR game. When you think of it its outrageous.

Maybe spend the money on sending a few Senior Clubs/Counties on tour of the states and Oz for 2 weeks during the winter to let people abroad have the chance to see our top players in action, and give the opportunity to players to travel. No need for this "hybrid" game that lets Aussies feast on young players. The International Rules squad usually only picks the bigger, stronger players and has little to do with skill.

If we had our best clubs on tour, say Senior Club Finalists, as well as All Ireland Finalists and our All Stars, all on a tour it would give our most skilled players a proper reward that someone aiming for the International Rules panel would receive. It would also offer skilled players something to aim for and instead of wishing they were big and tall enough to play International Rules/Aussie Rules they might aim to play and bring their team to Croke Park on St Patrick's day or the third Sunday in September with the incentive of a tour to the States and maybe Oz for 2 weeks in November for their team. Its just a thought.

Nonsense, how many players who played in the series went and played AFL then? By keeping relations good, the GAA have the option of perhaps imposing regulations on the players going, even perhaps gain compensation for the clubs. If there is a total break off, it is an open field. That is why it is a good thing to have the series.

heffo

How's Keith getting on?

fred the red

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 29, 2008, 05:11:05 PM

Who?

Charlie stubbs? :D

give her dixie

Tyrone Dobbs...........
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Gabriel_Hurl

Who is Keith?

He used to work with Tyrone as a matter of fact