DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: rrhf on January 28, 2009, 02:43:39 PM
This will be a spectacular occasion, even added to may I say by the Bastick case in full back for Dublin - the man who started the battle of Omagh from Full forward.   

You mean one of the 'heroes' of the Battle of Omagh  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

heffo

This will be a spectacular occasion, even added to may I say by the Bastick case in full back for Dublin - the man who started the battle of Omagh from Full forward.   

Bastic was midfield that day.

McMenamin started the row that day when he ran in and punched Derek Murray after Derek had won the ball cleanly. Check the video.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Interesting that Gilroy has brought Bastic back: either he's improved as a footballer, or Gilroy feels that a physical/aggressive edge will be important.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

heffo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 28, 2009, 03:01:44 PM
Interesting that Gilroy has brought Bastic back: either he's improved as a footballer, or Gilroy feels that a physical/aggressive edge will be important.

Some would say that with all the red cards that is enough is enough, but he was outstanding for the Juniors in their AI win last year and could still play a role - his temperament is hugely questionable though.

I don't think he has the turn of pace, the temperament or the discipline for full back - hopefully I'm proven wrong.

INDIANA

Our options at full back are so thin that a Palestinian would feel rich in comparison. Have to try somebody, he's big and quick and used to play there at underage. To be fair he's no worse an option than anyone else, but he needs 4/5 games there not just one. So they have to give him a sustained run. He's on a hiding to nothing on saturday, the best defenders in Ireland can't cope with SON.

his holiness nb

Bastick case in full back for Dublin - the man who started the battle of Omagh from Full forward.   

Jaysus, not again  :D

Ask me holy bollix

Fuzzman

Tyrone have 3 SoN's in the squad for Sat so that's treble Tyrone trouble & try saying that after 10 pints.

It will be an interesting match to test the new rules with it LIVE on setanta, near full house expected and the recent rivalries still in mind.

Is this the third time we've had the Dubs first in the NFL after being AI champs or was it later on in 2005? They were not clean matches.

Ye Dubs have certainly lowered expectations since Christmas as most Tyrone fans thought we would have been well off the pace back in December.

Not many of ye are mentioing Colm Cavanagh? Is he injured or not likely to get a starting place?
A lot are expecting Stevie O'Neill to be MOTM already. Its as if he was never gone.

rrhf

Talking to a very good sensible lifelong Gael who said If yer man Bastick  lasts the entire match on Stevie O Neill without incurring a yellow card, he is prepared to run bucko naked around the field during the fireworks display....  I feel it could be a case of which curly finger he gets - the refs or the managers. 

mountainboii

I don't know why the Dubs supporters here are being so pessimistic. Maybe a lot of the comments are tongue in cheek, but there seems to be the definite feeling that the result of this game is a foregone conclusion. I think Tyrone will win, but by no more than 3 or 4 in a fairly high scoring game.

Are many Tyronies expecting many changes in defence from your McKenna Cup team? Perhaps it went a bit unnoticed by some but Tyrone have been very loose in defence in their first few matches this year with 0-16, 2-11 and 0-17 conceded. Maybe Dublin can get a bit more joy than they expect.

his holiness nb

Quote from: rrhf on January 28, 2009, 05:07:03 PM
Talking to a very good sensible lifelong Gael who said If yer man Bastick  lasts the entire match on Stevie O Neill without incurring a yellow card, he is prepared to run bucko naked around the field during the fireworks display

Hard to argue, any time I've seen Bastick his temper has let him down.
Not a great footballer either!
Ask me holy bollix

Hound

I think that's harsh on Bastic. He is tough and a clumsy tackler, so he is a yellow card machine. But he's never delivered a really dirty blow for the Dubs that resulted in a straight red.

Of course I don't think he's ever gone thru a Dubs match without picking up a yellow and picked up 2 yellows about 3 times.

I hope any diving by either team is highlighted in the media.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: AFS on January 28, 2009, 05:16:32 PM
I don't know why the Dubs supporters here are being so pessimistic. Maybe a lot of the comments are tongue in cheek, but there seems to be the definite feeling that the result of this game is a foregone conclusion. I think Tyrone will win, but by no more than 3 or 4 in a fairly high scoring game.

Are many Tyronies expecting many changes in defence from your McKenna Cup team? Perhaps it went a bit unnoticed by some but Tyrone have been very loose in defence in their first few matches this year with 0-16, 2-11 and 0-17 conceded. Maybe Dublin can get a bit more joy than they expect.

Tyrone's defence has been very open so far this year. Think the Dublin fans are trying to do the opposite to what they did before last years quarter final and hope that it will lead to a different result. Not overly concerned about our defence as we still have Gormley,McMenamin,Justy McMahon and Gourley to come back at some point.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on January 28, 2009, 05:41:18 PM
I think that's harsh on Bastic. He is tough and a clumsy tackler, so he is a yellow card machine. But he's never delivered a really dirty blow for the Dubs that resulted in a straight red.

O'Byrne Cup match last year (against Carlow I think) was a straight red and deservedly so if I recall correctly...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 28, 2009, 06:17:59 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 28, 2009, 05:41:18 PM

O'Byrne Cup match last year (against Carlow I think) was a straight red and deservedly so if I recall correctly...

It was against Carlow alright down there, but if memory serves me correct he reacted to a dirty stroke moreso than he being the agressor (which I think was Hound's point)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 28, 2009, 05:23:15 PM
Quote from: rrhf on January 28, 2009, 05:07:03 PM
Talking to a very good sensible lifelong Gael who said If yer man Bastick  lasts the entire match on Stevie O Neill without incurring a yellow card, he is prepared to run bucko naked around the field during the fireworks display

Hard to argue, any time I've seen Bastick his temper has let him down.

Must be the Laois man coming out in him   :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.