DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On_the_Couch

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 29, 2008, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: On_the_Couch on September 29, 2008, 07:01:55 PM
How'd Dublin get screwed over for the quarters? - You didn't want to share croker with anyone else on the 9th, so you had to move to the 16th.  If you were that bloody good it wouldnt have mde a difference to ye.

We also wanted to play on the 9th no matter what - so you saying that the extra time off between games didn't help Tyrone???

That's my bloody point - you wanted croke park to yourselves on the 9th, which meant that other teams would have had to move to suit you lot.  Rightly so the GAA heirarchy moved it to suit themselves.  And yes one extra week suited Tyrone, but alone it doesn't account for scale of Dublin's defeat.  Your problems lay in the attitude of the Dublin team, who after hammering Wexford only talked about their date with destiny on the 3rd Sunday in September, completely ignoring the fact they had at least 2 games to play in August.  It also lies in the mistaken belief that they have a good full back line, half back line, midfield, half forward line, and full forward line, when really they only have at most 1 good player in each line - not enough to win an All-Ireland with.  And at that I'm not sure who the good player is in the full back and half forward lines.

Tankie

the game under lights 2yrs ago was shite, if they want 70k+ to turn up Dublin and Tyrone should put out proper teams but that is not what happens in the league. Again i would rather the game was played in PP as Croker does make it a neutral venue!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Jell 0 Biafra

[/quote]

We also wanted to play on the 9th no matter what - so you saying that the extra time off between games didn't help Tyrone???
[/quote]

That's my bloody point - you wanted croke park to yourselves on the 9th,
[/quote]

Most Dublin fans on here, and everyone in the team set-up who expressed an opinion was in favor of keeping the game on the 9th even if that meant a double-header.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

EC Unique

Can't understand how CP is considered a neutral venue.. Is it not in Dublin? Will the Dubs not get all the Hill16 tickets? What are Dublin afraid of?? ::)

full back

Quote from: Tankie on September 30, 2008, 12:49:45 AM
the game under lights 2yrs ago was shite, if they want 70k+ to turn up Dublin and Tyrone should put out proper teams but that is not what happens in the league. Again i would rather the game was played in PP as Croker does make it a neutral venue!

I would think Dublin have 2 'home' grounds.
PP if the attendance isnt going to be too big & CP if a large attendance is expected
Anyone who says different is fooling themselves

On_the_Couch

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 30, 2008, 03:16:47 AM

[/quote]

That's my bloody point - you wanted croke park to yourselves on the 9th,
[/quote]

Most Dublin fans on here, and everyone in the team set-up who expressed an opinion was in favor of keeping the game on the 9th even if that meant a double-header.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
[/quote]

Given the yapping that goes on anytime the dubs have to share croke park with anyone (or leave the leafy environs on Drumcondra), I doubt that any dub supporter or team member would wholeheartedly have endorsed sharing it with say Wexford and Armagh and taking a drop of 30-40000 tickets.  But rather than take a dig at me for as you see it ranting, perhaps you and the rest of the dub supporters need to take a cold hard look at yourselves and see if sometimes your need to have overwhelming support is part of the problem, e.g. I believe that if the opposing team silences the Hill its an indication that the Dublin team are in serious trouble and 95% of the time there is no comeback for them.  I also think that the dublin teams obsession with worshipping at the foot of the Hill (not quite as prevalent this year) is a problem as when Mayo got under your teams skin in 2006 - it takes from your concentration on the game.  It seems to me that this year the team's obvious obsession with playing on the 9th, because they had built all their training schedules around it, was also part of your problem - an inability to adapt to circumstances as they are thrown up to you.  Less worrying about where and when you play and greater concentration on playing would be a good start for you for next year.  So if Croke Park at the end of January is deemed to be time and the place to meet Tyrone, then just bloody well look forward to it and enjoy the occasion - I know I will.

dubinhell

Quote from: EC Unique on September 30, 2008, 09:37:40 AM
Can't understand how CP is considered a neutral venue.

It is a neutral venue. Dublin County Board have no control over it whatsoever. They can't use it for training or for League/O'Byrne cup games or for club games. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground. Rant away all ye want but that's the situation.

I think a high profile game to open the League is a good idea, but why not Tyrone and Kerry? As your all so confident of Tyrone hammering Dublin again, how is that promoting the NFL?

full back

Quote from: dubinhell on September 30, 2008, 10:32:23 AM
I think a high profile game to open the League is a good idea, but why not Tyrone and Kerry?

Dubs 'afraid' of Tyrone shocker :o

Bensars

Thought it was a good game. Great second half from Tyrone.  Conor Gormley went onto Brogan and that was it. Remember in particular Colm Cavanagh , his debut in the senior ranks ( i think) who had a paricularly good game.

I would have thought the Dubs would want a good game in Croke Park to banish the scars from the scale of the defeat  in the quarter final.

Canalman

Can see the merits in playing this fixture in CP only and I repeat only if Dublin County Board get a lions share of the gate proceeds and not if the gate proceeds are pooled with the whole NFL. A selfish view I know, but a reasonable one also imo.
Personally also think Parnell Park is too tight a pitch which leaves us somewhat unprepared for CP come championship time.

Would like to see how our new team (and it will be a new team) will do against what would seem to be the best Gaelic Football of all time!!!!!!!!!!
Also, I think the DCB need to use this game as a marketing tool in the ever biitter competition for the affection of the kids in Dublin against the very well funded FAI/IRFU. I know alot of the Dublin fans will disagree with me but I think the future should be looked after also.
There might be alot of people dancing on our grave at the moment but I still think that Dublin GAA has alot to be proud of.

By the way, if the tickets are reasonably priced it will be a sell out.

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on September 30, 2008, 09:56:36 AM

I would think Dublin have 2 'home' grounds.
PP if the attendance isnt going to be too big & CP if a large attendance is expected
Anyone who says different is fooling themselves

If a Dub suggests Croker is their home queue 200 pages of outrage , when it suits others its Dublin's home ground . f**king typical
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Over the Bar

If it's a league game is played within your county's border it's a home game.  Neutral would mean outside your county's border.  How can anyone argue otherwise?   

That would be like Tipperary arguing that Semple is not a home draw, Antrim arguing agsint Casement or Monaghan against Clones. 

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on September 29, 2008, 08:29:39 PM
What about the guard of honour by the Dubs for Tyrone this time?

As long as Dublin get a call this time, they'll be out.

Tyrone officials were too busy turning off the hot water and locking dressing rooms the last time in Omagh to bother calling Dublin for the guard of honour..

Bensars

Quote from: heffo on September 30, 2008, 11:55:15 AM

Tyrone officials were too busy turning off the hot water and locking dressing rooms the last time in Omagh to bother calling Dublin for the guard of honour..

So they were locking the dressing rooms with the dublin team still in it ? :o :o

red hander

Quote from: Bensars on September 30, 2008, 11:59:34 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 30, 2008, 11:55:15 AM

Couldn't get them out ... they were all reading some engrossing book about how brilliant they were...

So they were locking the dressing rooms with the dublin team still in it ? :o :o