DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on February 02, 2009, 09:23:42 AM
great entertainment but have the new rules taken the physicality out of the game? I'd hate to be a defender in croke park now. Was bad enough before, now its impossible.
Maybe, but I think the definition of physicality is the key question. Getting rid of Bodychecks and high tackles will be no loss. There's still room for the shoulder charge, when executed and refeereed properly - there was one perfect instance when Whelan gave Cavanaugh a great clatter, Cav got straight back up and play went on.

And defending is a team game, if you put pressure on the man delivering the ball, then it'll be easier for the defender to get their first. And good defenders can still dispossess forwards. While Sherlock gave McMahon a tough enough time, there were at least two occassions when McMahon dispossed him, when Sherlock looked in full control but just dawdled for a split second.

The problem with the new rules will be consistency. But we shouldnt forget that's also a big problem with the previous rules.

INDIANA

the problem is hound when a man gets a black book, you may as well take him off. Take B Brogan vs Magee. I thought it was a great battle but he got a black book early on, yet still did a remarkable job on him until early in the 2nd half he fouled again. Now in my view he probably should have gone at that stage if you're applying the rules but thereafter Bernard ran riot as Magee simply couldn't lay a hand on him. Sean Cavanagh definitely should have gone near the end. Whelan could have gone for his swan lake effort. Again its consistency and I can't see any consistency. And then how would this survive in club football?
I can't see how in a junior club game a ref will be able to keep track fo this.

rrhf

Great night great game, and nice to see a sneak preview of the all ireland final pairing jousting.  ;) The Tyrone Dublin rivalry is  now occupying  a special place - its as good a game as you'll get to see in the GAA.   We'll invite the Kingdom to Omagh now on their fact finding mission and see what they are made of.   The whole night was an outstanding success, congrats to Jarleth Burns and his committee and its great the GAAs giving the country something to smile about even when the chips are down.  We should be celebrating and marketing ouselves higher and more visably than our competitors because we are worth it.     
I must admit I liked the new rules as applied on Saturday night,  and I think thats the best bit of referreeing ive seen in ages.   

Fear ón Srath Bán

In the Cost Benefit Analysis of the new rules to date, despite the issues and inconsistencies, it seems the general consensus is that they're a success and that the benefits significantly outweigh the costs; particularly with a referee who doesn't let dogma or doctrine obstruct good sense. Saturday night's game was a case in point, and it does mean that all-round support play will assume even greater significance where the only clear cut tackle is the shoulder, and defenders wary of a flailing arm being penalised with yellow. Tyrone's support play in the first half prevailed, but it was Dublin's in the second. Trivia: it's now 14 years since Dublin beat Tyrone in Croke *, in either of the League or Championship!

* Could be worse lads, could be 23 years as it is for Kerry  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

downredblack

Great night's entertainment , from start to finish an absolute success . Thought Tyrone were going to a real number on the Dubs , but fair play to them they really stood up in the second half and the atmosphere towards the end was fantastic . Was in the Canal and to see Stephen O'neils point was real privilege , had to turn to the brother to check if I was seeing things . To put on game like that in January was credit to both teams .

I'm trying to remember the songs they played the other night during the fireworks ,  I have ...

Dreams - Cranberries
Fisherman's Blues - Waterboys
Pride - U2

tyronefan

Thin Lizzy   The Boys are Back In Town

Doohicky

Snow Patrol, but can't remember which song

longrunsthefox

Yo! Ziggy-are you out there dude? I met your Dad... you stood me up at the match. I was in Jurys with my two cubs but no Zigster tho I aint sure wat you look like tho you did promise to wear a pink carnation. Was one woman with carnation...weren't you in drag was it?...
Anyway I was introduced to your Dad in Jurys tho he don't know I am the Fox. He said, 'There's some quare stuff on that GAA Board.'   You missed a good nite...

An Fear Rua

20 min aftermatch highlights available here

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php

anyone found the match highlights on line??
Its Grim up North

under the bar

Anyone got a link to Stevie's impossible point?

C_Berg_316

Quote from: Doohicky on February 02, 2009, 11:37:36 AM
Snow Patrol, but can't remember which song

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

Think the music at the very start was enya

Really enjoyed the two teams running out to music - something that could be done easily for every big game at croker easily enough!
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

Canalman

An entertaining enough might. Thought in the 1st half we were in for another hiding but the lads rallied in the 2nd half. Costly mistakes by Stphen C (x2), Bastic, Bonnar and the balls dropping into Devine's hands were the losing of the game imo. Truth be told Tyrone deserved to win imo. Tyrone gifted BB the goal while Tyrone's goal was embarassingly easily conceded from a "nothing ball "in.

Delighted to see the sideline make the early call to sub McConnell while still  sorry on a personal level for him. While not whinging I thought the ref got 2 crucial decisions wrong in the 2nd half which went against us........the Keaney "hip" and the Paul Flynn (I think) overhead handpass.....both wrongly penalized imo. Such is life I suppose.

Showing the Mulligan goal 3 or 4 times on the screen was ott......especially given the fact that great teams like the 1960s Galway,Dublin of the 1970s, Meath of the 80/90s amongst others were ignored. Not sure whether the Down team of the 60s got a look in ......disgraceful if they didn't.

Tyrone Dreamer

My guess is if the match had been played in Omagh we would have had a much slower game with less quality. A big factor being the difference in the quality of the pitch. I know there are plans in place to do the Omagh pitch this year and its time for the gaa to invest in top quality surfaces at all county venues.

In relation to the new rules they appear to be working. Players know referees will be a lot quicker to send them off now and they have to be more disciplined. As long as refs apply common sense they could actually be a success. The thing is that I hope the right balance is got. Players should be yellow carded/ticked for lazy fouls were they make no effort to tackle correctly and just pull the man down. Stopping players running off the ball should be penalised to. Players should not be booked just because they have made a big physical challenge or when they make a genuine attempt at playing the ball.

As touched on earlier Saturday night proved what marketing can do for our games. I hope the gaa dont stand still after this and push on. For example there is a repeat of the All Ireland final in 2 weeks time in Omagh. A small budget should be set aside for local advertising to promote the games. Initiatives such as making school children aware up and down the county that the game is taking place and that they  will gain free entry when going with their parents would be a good starting point.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Canalman on February 02, 2009, 01:29:02 PM
An entertaining enough might. Thought in the 1st half we were in for another hiding but the lads rallied in the 2nd half. Costly mistakes by Stphen C (x2), Bastic, Bonnar and the balls dropping into Devine's hands were the losing of the game imo. Truth be told Tyrone deserved to win imo. Tyrone gifted BB the goal while Tyrone's goal was embarassingly easily conceded from a "nothing ball "in.

Delighted to see the sideline make the early call to sub McConnell while still  sorry on a personal level for him. While not whinging I thought the ref got 2 crucial decisions wrong in the 2nd half which went against us........the Keaney "hip" and the Paul Flynn (I think) overhead handpass.....both wrongly penalized imo. Such is life I suppose.

Showing the Mulligan goal 3 or 4 times on the screen was ott......especially given the fact that great teams like the 1960s Galway,Dublin of the 1970s, Meath of the 80/90s amongst others were ignored. Not sure whether the Down team of the 60s got a look in ......disgraceful if they didn't.

They did, showed 1960 I think...